Southsider2k12
post May 16 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200...news/news1a.txt

BREAKING NEWS: City native becomes 'war czar'

Michigan City native Lt. Gen. Douglas Lute has been tabbed as President Bush's “war czar” to oversee the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In the newly created position, Lute is an assistant to the president and deputy national security adviser, and would also maintain his military status and rank as a three-star general, according to a Pentagon official.

Michigan City School Board President Jeff Jones said Tuesday afternoon that he wrote a letter to Gen. Lute, who is his cousin, and invited him to be the commencement speaker at the Michigan City High School graduation June 10.

An aide called Jones back and made an appointment for them to have a telephone conversation, Jones said, and in that ensuing phone call last week, Gen. Lute declined the invitation because of his schedule, but said he would consider it next year.

Asked if the general gave him any indication that he was in line for the presidential appointment, Jones said, “No, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the first to know.”

He added, “I would guess they were in negotiations at that point.”

In an interview with The News-Dispatch from his office in the Pentagon April 10, Lute discussed his appointment last September as director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff at the Department of Defense. He became the first in his West Point class to earn a third star.

In the interview with News-Dispatch reporter Laurie Wink, Gen. Lute acknowledged there is “a spectrum of opinion” among Americans on the Iraqi War, but said the conflict is distinct from the Vietnam War in that most people support the troops, whether or not they support the war.

“Wherever you come down on your opinion about the war, there's no doubt about the support for those in combat,” Lute said in that interview. “I don't think there's doubt in Congress about supporting the troops.”

Lute's talked about his moral standards, which were formed early in life by his father John, now 84. He described his father as disciplined about fulfilling his responsibility to the family. John and Phyliss Lute, 81, and sister, Becky, live in Michigan City. A younger sister lives in the Washington, D.C., area, and an older sister is in California.

Becky Lute remembered her brother trying to get his sisters to do his share of the household chores. She said he was consistently on the Elston High School honor roll, and served as president of his junior and senior classes.

Lute's Michigan City memories are mostly of summers spent on the beach and playing basketball every chance he got with a group of guys that included his cousin, Jeff Jones, now assistant vice chancellor for engagement at Purdue University-North Central. Jones and Lute both graduated from Elston in the Class of 1971.

“He's been a natural born leader since I've known him,” Jones said.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post May 21 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

My daughter and I (she's 12) had a conversation on Who's Who in Michigan City. We both were sorta shocked that Lute is a native. Does anyone know of a list of people that may have been noted for works in the arts, sports, education, etc? I think it would be a good lesson for our kids.

Angie
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 21 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #3

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Wikipedia has the most comprehensive list I have seen, FWIW. The Michigan City page on there isn't very good, so I imagine there are a whole lot more that are missing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michigan_City...m_Michigan_City

Famous People From Michigan City
Anne Baxter: was an Academy Award-winning American actress.

Don Larsen: was a Major League Baseball pitcher for 14 seasons.

John Huppenthal: is a Republican State Senator in the Arizona Legislature.

Achy Obejas: is an American writer and journalist

Anita King: was an American racecar driver, actress, and thoroughbred racehorse owner.

Rev. Tina Redden: a professional Gospel Singer, known for her Powerful Swoop, Hollar and Testify Singing style and skillful ability with over 14 musical instruments. Rated #1 Gospel singer in Great Britain.

Mike LaRocco: is a professional Supercross and Motocross racer.

Neil *Super* Singleton: is a 6x World Martial Arts KickBoxing Champion, 18x National Champion, 7th degree Blackbelt in "Tae Kwon Do" and an Olympic silver medalist. Also known as Neil *Super* Singleton

Terry Redden: a 14x Regional, 1x National light Heavyweight Champion in Mixed Martial Arts. The youngest son of Great Britain's Top Gospel singer Rev Tina Redden, apprentice of Neil *Super* Singleton and Ken Young. Terry Redden is also known as "Hot Foot Redden".

Timothy Redden: 13x Regional, 1x National Middle Weight Champion in Mixed Martial Arts. The eldest son of the Gospel singer Rev Tina Redden, apprentice of Neil *Super* Singleton and Ken Young Also known as "Light Foot".

Ken Young: 16x National Champion, 6th degree Blackbelt. Son of Neil *Super* Singleton.

Daniel D. Bruce: was a United States Marine who was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for heroism in Vietnam in March 1969.

Capt. William(Bill) Eddy : was a pioneer in the development of television and microwave transmission.

Fred Weber Band director, publicist, musician well known for his School band teaching methods and books through Belwin Music Publishing

Abe Gibron: well known Chicago Bears football player.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 21 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Captain Eddy is definitely a "made a difference" guy.

gibron was also coach of the Bears.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:43 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com