> Prison's wheelchair policy panned
Southsider2k12
post Jun 20 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/28281885/detail.html

ANDERSON, Ind. -- A disabled Anderson woman said it's unfair that she can't use her own wheelchair when visiting her son in the Indiana State Prison in Michigan City.

Beverly Carter, 63, said she wants to use her mobility wheelchair when visiting her son, who was sentenced to 95 years in prison for murder and attempted murder.

Carter said that prison officers often make her get out of her own wheelchair and use a fold-up wheelchair to pass through security, despite complaints that those wheelchairs cause her pain.

"It hurts my body, and I'm a mess for a couple of days after the visit," Carter said, who suffered from polio as a child.

The Indiana Department of Correction said no personal wheelchairs are allowed and that facilities will provide wheelchairs when needed. Spokeswoman Pamela James said the policy helps reduce the risk of people smuggling in contraband.

"There have been problems with wheelchairs in the past. Visitors have tried to hid banned items inside wheelchairs," James said.

Carter said it's difficult for her to get out of her mobility chair and get into the prison's wheelchair. She said she has a doctor's note saying it is difficult for her to stand for any length of time.

"As the years go by, I'm getting weaker and weaker," she said. "I can barely stand on my own."

Carter said there have been several arguments with prison staff over her situation, which she said cuts into her visitation time. She said she often has to calm her son down once she's finally able to visit because he gets upset that the prison won't let her through security in her own chair.

On one occasion, Carter said she was not allowed to see her son because she refused to switch chairs.

"It's unfair I even have to think if I'm going to be able to see my son because of my handicap," she said.

Carter's son,Newsom Carter,30, was sentenced to 95 years for the murder of Crane Fletcher and the attempted murder of Mark Fuller.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:09 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com