Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 22 2013, 10:31 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I am going on record as teh first to say it. This will be the year we break the Sectional jinx for boys basketball.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 22 2013, 11:57 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Oct 22 2013, 11:31 AM) *

I am going on record as the first to say it. This will be the year we break the Sectional jinx for boys basketball.

Still have to find a way to beat Merrillville.

So nice to be out of that DAC double round robin.

Glad the holiday tournament's are back.

Nice to see schools from South Bend, Elkhart, Gary, Hammond and East Chicago on the schedule, these other "city" schools are the ones that Michigan City High School needs to be competing with in athletics.

Couldn't help but notice that South Bend Washington has been taken off the girls schedule after they cancelled out on our girls senior night last season.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 22 2013, 12:29 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Oct 22 2013, 12:57 PM) *

So nice to be out of that DAC double round robin.

Glad the holiday tournament's are back.

Nice to see schools from South Bend, Elkhart, Gary, Hammond and East Chicago on the schedule, these other "city" schools are the ones that Michigan City High School needs to be competing with in athletics.

Couldn't help but notice that South Bend Washington has been taken off the girls schedule after they cancelled out on our girls senior night last season.

The Pirates graduated their top 10 players. Read that again.

They return exact zero players from their starting line up, and first five bench players.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 22 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Oct 22 2013, 01:29 PM) *

The Pirates graduated their top 10 players. Read that again.

They return exact zero players from their starting line up, and first five bench players. Merrillville has a terrific underclass, lots of kids who haven't made a name for themselves yet.

D.J. Wilkens (The Bucs starting sophomore QB on the football team) is one of the top point guards in the area, another is freshmen James Kirklin Jr. he was one of the boys teammates an the Gary Steelers Jr. Midget team last year, extraordinary athlete.

John Boyd is eight wins away from his 200th career victory. He should make his mark some time in January.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 22 2013, 02:51 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Oct 22 2013, 03:34 PM) *

D.J. Wilkens (The Bucs starting sophomore QB on the football team) is one of the top point guards in the area, another is freshmen James Kirklin Jr. he was one of the boys teammates an the Gary Steelers Jr. Midget team last year, extraordinary athlete.

John Boyd is eight wins away from his 200th career victory. He should make his mark some time in January.

The Pirates always have talent. What they don't have is any players with Varsity basketball experience. In the DAC it is tough to break in one new starter. They have to break in five, plus a new bench.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Oct 28 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Oct 22 2013, 11:31 AM) *

I am going on record as teh first to say it. This will be the year we break the Sectional jinx for boys basketball.

Let's hope so, have the Wolves ever won a sectional, I don't believe so? I think they won conference once but haven't picked up any post-season hardware yet. Hard to believe that if is is true. Any ideas who the starting 5 are going to be for Coach Boyd? Did he uncover any talent for us in Gary to help out? I often wonder what would have happened if they had let Buscher hang around. . .he seemed to want to build character and a program together.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 28 2013, 12:15 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Oct 28 2013, 12:56 PM) *

Let's hope so, have the Wolves ever won a sectional, I don't believe so? I think they won conference once but haven't picked up any post-season hardware yet. Hard to believe that if is is true. Any ideas who the starting 5 are going to be for Coach Boyd? Did he uncover any talent for us in Gary to help out? I often wonder what would have happened if they had let Buscher hang around. . .he seemed to want to build character and a program together.

Speaking strictly of boys basketball, we have never won a sectional title as MCHS.

Boyd has been one had more than a few players move to MC just to play basketball. Ryan Taylor was one. Boyd's son is moving up here this year to play PG, probably starting as a true freshman. There are more in this incoming class, and have been others over the years.

The starting five is in flux, not only because of graduations, but because of Luke Dauer's injury.

Starting five will probably look something like...

Jaronde Boyd
Brad Palowski
Donnie Wilson
ShaQuan Hemphill
Keenan Simmons

Also in the mix could be Michael Smallwood and Java Oliver. When Dauer returns he will be one of the starting guards.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 28 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Oct 28 2013, 12:56 PM) *

Also wanted to address Buscher.

I really think the guy was a great basketball mind, he just wasn't a personality fit for MCHS. I actually think Bob was a great X's and O's coach. I think Boyd, with his background, gets where these kids are coming from more than Bob did. That isn't a slam on Buscher, just my observation.

I think the kids really respect and look up to Boyd. He even doubles as a father figure for some of them. I even see kids from his previous teams returning to games and to help out in practices.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Oct 30 2013, 07:32 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

This may seem a bit off but as far as a "fit" goes, it seems to me that Boyd would be a better fit for the girls program and Megyese would be a breath of fresh air for the boys program. If I remember right wasn't Earl Cunningham a girls BB coach before he took over the boys program. If I read correctly didn't Joe Otis step down at Valpo to become the girls coach after last season too. Just a thought. Megyese seems to have a little fire to him and appears to be able to relate to all kinds of kids. Successful with the girls from MC and won a state championship with Catholic school girls(SB St. Joe)
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 2 2013, 12:17 PM
Post #11

Apparently Marquette is holding up the transfer of one kid coming back to City to play ball. That is pretty nervy for a school that has built its program poaching kids from other schools. Hello Ritchie Mitchell?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 2 2013, 12:18 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Oct 30 2013, 08:32 PM) *

This may seem a bit off but as far as a "fit" goes, it seems to me that Boyd would be a better fit for the girls program and Megyese would be a breath of fresh air for the boys program. If I remember right wasn't Earl Cunningham a girls BB coach before he took over the boys program. If I read correctly didn't Joe Otis step down at Valpo to become the girls coach after last season too. Just a thought. Megyese seems to have a little fire to him and appears to be able to relate to all kinds of kids. Successful with the girls from MC and won a state championship with Catholic school girls(SB St. Joe)

The Boyd era has been a very good one for City. Go back and look at our recent history.
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Nov 11 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 980

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Oct 22 2013, 11:57 AM) *

I too am glad the round robin is over!

But on the other issue of who we should be playing, shouldn't we want to play the better teams out there? Its nice to beat the Garys and Hammonds, (East Chicago is no cake walk), but when it comes to sectional time we would have been battle tested with hopefully close games and know how to respond or deal with the situation. I think you must have a good mix so that you don't get over confident by playing an easier schedule and get a shock in sectionals. Its not like football where the wear and tear of playing bigger schools is harder because of injuries and depth. I think Boyd has done a good job of getting a good mixture of schools in here with their own strengths and weaknesses. It really pays off at the end of the season.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 11 2013, 07:34 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(backwoods @ Nov 11 2013, 03:27 PM) *

I too am glad the round robin is over!

But on the other issue of who we should be playing, shouldn't we want to play the better teams out there? Its nice to beat the Garys and Hammonds, (East Chicago is no cake walk), but when it comes to sectional time we would have been battle tested with hopefully close games and know how to respond or deal with the situation. I think you must have a good mix so that you don't get over confident by playing an easier schedule and get a shock in sectionals. Its not like football where the wear and tear of playing bigger schools is harder because of injuries and depth. I think Boyd has done a good job of getting a good mixture of schools in here with their own strengths and weaknesses. It really pays off at the end of the season.

Year in and year out we have the toughest schedule in the DAC. There isn't a gimme on the OOC schedule.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Nov 11 2013, 08:42 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Nov 2 2013, 12:18 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Oct 30 2013, 08:32 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
The Boyd era has been a very good one for City. Go back and look at our recent history.

I did and I still don't see a DAC crown or sectional title.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 19 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #16

My preseason DAC picks.

Lake Central
Michigan City
Merrillville
LaPorte
Valpo
Chesterton
Crown Point
Portage
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Nov 19 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Nov 19 2013, 04:18 PM) *

My preseason DAC picks.

Lake Central
Michigan City
Merrillville
LaPorte
Valpo
Chesterton
Crown Point
Portage

I think you are putting Crown Point and Chesterton down way too far and the Wolves up way too high. It was my understanding that Luke Daurer is gone for much of the season and you will be starting a freshman guard. If this is true who is your scorer if Keenan Simmons gets in foul trouble?

Chesterton has Teal, Palombizo, Rustboldt and depth. CP has height, I think I saw 4 guys on the roster of 6'7" or taller. LP has the guard back and Gage Ott. Merrillville is young but athletic and a good coach. Valpo is inexperienced and Portage is not a basketball school, put those two near the bottom with MC 4th or 5th.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 19 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Nov 19 2013, 06:30 PM) *

I think you are putting Crown Point and Chesterton down way too far and the Wolves up way too high. It was my understanding that Luke Daurer is gone for much of the season and you will be starting a freshman guard. If this is true who is your scorer if Keenan Simmons gets in foul trouble?

Chesterton has Teal, Palombizo, Rustboldt and depth. CP has height, I think I saw 4 guys on the roster of 6'7" or taller. LP has the guard back and Gage Ott. Merrillville is young but athletic and a good coach. Valpo is inexperienced and Portage is not a basketball school, put those two near the bottom with MC 4th or 5th.

Crown Point was 2-12 last year, and lost Bardeson, Rice, and Nickla. They have some size, but no shooting or guard play.

City does have Simmons back, Dauer is supposed to be back around the first of the year, and they also have Miller back around that time from Marquette. The freshman guard was one of the best 8th graders in Indy. They also have a decent supporting cast back.

Chesterton losing Holba will really hurt them. They have no inside scoring now.

Merrillville graduated their top 10 players. Valpo graduated their top 6 or 7. They are both going to go through some serious growing pains, even if they can replace all of the talent they lost.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Nov 20 2013, 02:03 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Nov 19 2013, 07:07 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Nov 19 2013, 06:30 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Crown Point was 2-12 last year, and lost Bardeson, Rice, and Nickla. They have some size, but no shooting or guard play.

City does have Simmons back, Dauer is supposed to be back around the first of the year, and they also have Miller back around that time from Marquette. The freshman guard was one of the best 8th graders in Indy. They also have a decent supporting cast back.

Chesterton losing Holba will really hurt them. They have no inside scoring now.

Merrillville graduated their top 10 players. Valpo graduated their top 6 or 7. They are both going to go through some serious growing pains, even if they can replace all of the talent they lost.

I heard rumors that Daurer may not be back until late February. Also, did Miller play at Marquette or are we confusing his talents with that of his sister. "One of the best 8th graders in Indy" doesn't mean he won't struggle as a 9th grader in the conference. With all that being said 4th place is a good fit for the Wolves if they can gel as a team.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 20 2013, 02:20 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Nov 20 2013, 02:03 PM) *

I heard rumors that Daurer may not be back until late February. Also, did Miller play at Marquette or are we confusing his talents with that of his sister. "One of the best 8th graders in Indy" doesn't mean he won't struggle as a 9th grader in the conference. With all that being said 4th place is a good fit for the Wolves if they can gel as a team.

You might have better info on Dauer. I'll find out more tonight. Regardless, Luke is about the #3 weapon at best when healthy.

Miller did play at Marquette, but he was another guy poached from the public schools.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:50 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com