2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ye Old Bennies
Job
post Jun 14 2013, 06:33 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,126

What is with the people who are supposed to reopen the former Bennies? At first, they were going to open before Memorial Day. Next, they told people they were going to open in the middle of June. Now, they are telling people that they may open in a few weeks. It sounds like they don't know what they are doing.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 14 2013, 07:06 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

You seriously think a family that has run one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo for decades doesn't know what they're doing?

Come on.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 15 2013, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Its a building that has been there forever. I am guessing they ran into some problems they didn't anticipate in the rehab process.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jun 15 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

Scope creep.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Job
post Jul 18 2013, 04:45 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 14 2013, 07:06 PM) *

You seriously think a family that has run one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo for decades doesn't know what they're doing?

Come on.

Yes, Tim; I think the son of the family who owns "one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo..." does not know what he is doing. Recall, that they were going to open before Memorial Day. Since then, they have been telling people that they will open in a "few short weeks."
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 19 2013, 12:10 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

They've posted at FB that once they got into the building they realized it had a lot more problems to address than they'd originally thought. If that means someone "doesn't know what they're doing" okay - but I don't buy it.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 19 2013, 08:27 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 19 2013, 01:10 AM) *

They've posted at FB that once they got into the building they realized it had a lot more problems to address than they'd originally thought. If that means someone "doesn't know what they're doing" okay - but I don't buy it.

Having done projects just around my house it is easy to look at a job and think it will only take X hours, only to tear it apart and realize that the previous owners did a half @ssed job, and it will take way longer than I thought. It does happen.
+Quote Post
Job
post Jul 19 2013, 09:44 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 19 2013, 08:27 AM) *

Having done projects just around my house it is easy to look at a job and think it will only take X hours, only to tear it apart and realize that the previous owners did a half @ssed job, and it will take way longer than I thought. It does happen.

May 24 entry from Facebook: "... we are working on the final details of our menu. We promise it will be unique and satisfying. Stay tuned..."
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 19 2013, 04:50 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 19 2013, 08:27 AM) *

So would that mean you don't know what you're doing, so that the project took longer than you orginally anticipated?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 19 2013, 07:22 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 19 2013, 05:50 PM) *

So would that mean you don't know what you're doing, so that the project took longer than you orginally anticipated?

lol. You can't have ever owned a house.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 19 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 19 2013, 07:22 PM) *

lol. You can't have ever owned a house.

lol. Obviously you're not following the exchange.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 22 2013, 11:46 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

He means:

When you buy a house that you are not the first owner of, and start a project inside that house, on the surface it may look like an easy task, but once you start to dig in, you will find that the previous owner did something hinky and now you've got to fix that before you can continue on with the project you started.

For example, say you are doing a bathroom project. You tear out a small portion of the wall and learn that it is not greenboard (which won't mildew in humid conditions). So, now you've got to tear out all the drywall and replace it with greenboard before you can complete the original project you started. I mean, you don't really HAVE to, but if you don't your bathroom will end up full of mold and mildew and you will have to replace it all eventually anyway.

So, the answer to your question is, "The guy before me didn't know what he was doing and I had to fix it."

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 22 2013, 11:48 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(Tim @ Jul 19 2013, 08:57 PM) *

lol. Obviously you're not following the exchange.

Yep. totally.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 22 2013, 12:57 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scope_creep

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 22 2013, 01:24 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10

Here I was defending SS'der and you go and call him a creep!

laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 22 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 22 2013, 11:46 AM) *

He means:

When you buy a house that you are not the first owner of, and start a project inside that house, on the surface it may look like an easy task, but once you start to dig in, you will find that the previous owner did something hinky and now you've got to fix that before you can continue on with the project you started.

For example, say you are doing a bathroom project. You tear out a small portion of the wall and learn that it is not greenboard (which won't mildew in humid conditions). So, now you've got to tear out all the drywall and replace it with greenboard before you can complete the original project you started. I mean, you don't really HAVE to, but if you don't your bathroom will end up full of mold and mildew and you will have to replace it all eventually anyway.

So, the answer to your question is, "The guy before me didn't know what he was doing and I had to fix it."

I know what he meant. But we're not talking about the people who owned it before. we're talking about the guy that owns it now.
+Quote Post
Job
post Aug 5 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 14 2013, 07:06 PM) *

Come on.

Yes Tim, I think that the "son" of a family that has "run one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo" does not know what he is doing. According to the paper, he is now talking about opening "some time in September." Recall, he first said he was going to open in April.

From what I have been able to gather, he has honked off the regulatory agencies in Michigan City. He has also announced that he doesn't care if any of the old Bennie patrons ever come to their place. Losing the entire Summer season would seem to be a big mistake: it must be some smart business move that has escaped me.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Aug 7 2013, 05:21 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Job @ Aug 5 2013, 05:54 PM) *

Yes Tim, I think that the "son" of a family that has "run one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo" does not know what he is doing. According to the paper, he is now talking about opening "some time in September." Recall, he first said he was going to open in April.

From what I have been able to gather, he has honked off the regulatory agencies in Michigan City. He has also announced that he doesn't care if any of the old Bennie patrons ever come to their place. Losing the entire Summer season would seem to be a big mistake: it must be some smart business move that has escaped me.

Good Lord, you still chewing on this bone? Pffft. Whatever.
+Quote Post
Job
post Nov 20 2013, 09:44 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Jun 15 2013, 07:46 PM) *

Scope creep.

i don't know what I was thinking: expressing doubt about a family that really understands the restaurant business.
+Quote Post
Job
post Nov 20 2013, 09:55 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Job @ Jul 18 2013, 04:45 PM) *

Yes, Tim; I think the son of the family who owns "one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo..." does not know what he is doing. Recall, that they were going to open before Memorial Day. Since then, they have been telling people that they will open in a "few short weeks."

Tim,

Do you still believe that the son of a family who owns "one of the most successful restaurants in New Buffalo" knows what he is doing? Everywhere I go in town, the place has become a joke, A few people have suggested that they change their name to what they were saying nearly five months ago: "only a few more weeks."
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 05:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com