post Mar 6 2007, 10:52 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../06/news/n2.txt

Arnold among names surfacing to possibly fill Senate vacancy
By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

Former LaPorte County Sheriff Jim Arnold Monday confirmed rumors he's interested in filling the seat of the late state Sen. Anita Bowser.

“I had met with Anita 22 months ago and we'd discussed this very situation,” Arnold said Monday. “At the time there were rumors about her resigning and me filling the position, but I assured her I planned to finish my term as sheriff and she said she planned to finish her term.

“Right now we're just surprised. It surprised us all. I knew she'd been ill, but I didn't think it would happen like this,” Arnold said.

Meanwhile, other Democrats are being mentioned - Lynne Kaser, who is said to have Bowser's blessing, and Wally Pritz, who said he'd rather see his daughter, Robin Oshinski, fill the vacancy, which is up to the Democratic precinct committee persons in the district.

Rumors had been swirling for more than a year that Arnold was waiting for Bowser to leave office so he could fill the seat.

Arnold said he'd met with Bowser a few times over the past year or so and made it clear to Bowser that he wanted to be 8th District state senator. He said he'd planned more meetings with Bowser that were canceled because Bowser was ill. Arnold said he'd planned to meet with Bowser on the second day of this year's session, but was told by Bowser's staff that day that the senator had become ill.

“Then I went down last week on Thursday and found out she was in the hospital,” Arnold said. “I never spoke to her again.”

Whoever fills Bowser's seat will serve unelected until 2008, when the seat comes up for election. Democratic precinct committee people from within the district have 30 days from Bowser's death to fill the vacancy.

Dr. Vidya Kora, LaPorte County Democratic Party chairman, said the party will wait to discuss possible candidates until after Bowser's funeral.

State party Chairman Dan Parker will be supervise the election, Kora said. Parker couldn't be reached for comment Monday.

Kaser, who recently announced her intention to seek the Democratic nomination for the 1st Ward seat on the Michigan City Common Council, said Monday she was honored to hear that Bowser had apparently expressed an interest to friends, shortly before her death, that Kaser fill the seat.

“I was told the day before (Bowser) died that she'd said that. We were scheduled to go down and talk on Monday, but of course we couldn't. I'm in a really awkward position. I never spoke with Anita about it.”

“It's such an honor to be mentioned by this outstanding woman,” she added. “But right now, I must focus on my campaign.”

Pritz said Monday he'd been contacted several times prior to Bowser's death about filling the seat if Bowser couldn't finish her term, but declined, pushing the candidacy of his daughter, Robin Oshinski, instead.

“She's expressed a desire in the past to serve in the Senate,” Pritz said. “I think she'd be a very strong candidate and she'd love to do it.”

Oshinski confirmed that she is interested in running, but prefers right now to keep the focus on Bowser.

“Now is a time to allow the city to celebrate the life of Anita Bowser and her statespersonship,” Oshinski said.

Looking ahead to the 2008 election, Republicans, according to former county party chair Dave Pendergast, hadn't come up with a candidate.

Rumors abound that the party wanted two-time sheriff's candidate Mark Ludlow to run, and Ludlow confirmed Monday that he'd been approached.

He said, however, that after several recent campaigns - he's run for sheriff twice and currently sits on the LaPorte County Council - he's decided he's likely done with campaigning.

“I don't know if the Republicans want me to run, but I know I don't have any desire to run,” he said. “I've had some people come to me and tell me I need to run ... I don't need to run.”

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 6 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../06/news/n1.txt

Kora: It's too soon to talk about filling seat

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

State Sen. Anita Bowser during a swearing-in ceremony Dec. 29 at the LaPorte County Complex.

The clock is running for state Democrats to pick a replacement for late 8th District Indiana State Sen. Anita Bowser, but LaPorte County Democratic Chairman Vidya Kora said Monday he won't talk about possible replacements until after Bowser's funeral.

“It's premature to talk about it now,” Kora said Monday morning. “Once the funeral is over, I will call state (Democratic) Chairman Dan Parker. A suitable replacement will be found.”

According to state law, a caucus of precinct committee people from Bowser's 8th Senate District - which includes the northern part of LaPorte County and a northwestern section of St. Joseph County - will decide who will fill the remainder of Bowser's term.

State law requires the caucus to convene within 30 days of vacation of the office and notification of the state party chairman. Kora said Parker was likely notified immediately of Bowser's death.

“As of Monday, everyone has been notified,” Kora said. “I believe the 30 days began with her passing.”

Bowser's term is expires in 2008.

Kora said Parker will supervise the caucus because the district stretches outside of LaPorte County.

Parker couldn't be reached for comment Monday.

Bowser's death elicited responses statewide and from across party lines.

Governor Mitch Daniels issued a statement saying, “I am truly, truly sad at this news. Senator Bowser could not have been kinder or more open in our two years of acquaintance. Our last two meetings were about building Northwest Indiana and about building higher education, which she cared about so deeply. Indiana will miss her leadership, and I will miss her personally.”

Indiana Republican Party Chairman Murray Clerk in a release Monday called Bowser a “true pioneer for Hoosier women.”

“I am deeply saddened by the news that my good friend and former colleague Anita Bowser has passed away. Anita was genuinely respected in the Senate for her keen intellect and profound concern for the people of her district,” Clark said. “She was tenacious, tough, but always had a smile at the ready. The Indiana Republican Party sends its most heartfelt condolences to her family and loved ones.”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AT A GLANCE

Gov. Mitch Daniels ordered flags Monday on the Indiana Government Center campus be flown at half-staff through the day of Bowser's funeral.

He also asked that flags in LaPorte and St. Joseph counties be lowered to half-staff on the day of the funeral.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Indiana Senate will pay tribute to Bowser at 12:30 p.m. today.
The funeral is at 1 p.m. Thursday at Notre Dame Catholic Church, U.S. 12 and Moore Road, with the Rev. Charles Doyle and the Rev. Randy Duncan officiating. Burial is in Greenwood Cemetery. Visitation is from 3 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Carlisle Funeral Home and noon until the service Thursday at the church. Read the complete obituary in For the Record.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Anita Bowser Scholarship Fund at Purdue University-North Central or the charity of the donor's choice. Sign the guest book and leave condolences at www.carlislefh.com.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 2 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

Yes he could and did.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Apr 2 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

"Kora: It's too soon to talk about filling seat "

I don't know - that's just....funny.

laugh.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:41 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com