IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scam or Annoying?, Guy wants to offer you carpet cleaning service for free (Kirby)
ChicagoMachine
post Jun 15 2015, 02:14 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,435

I have a temp. place in MC. I was at this residence when some guy rings my front intercom for our building. I NEVER, ever buzz anyone in since that defeats your first line of defense. Guy offering to clean rooms and says he's from Kirby. He had a laminated non-descript flyer with very little info. I've read other sites where the exact same thing is happening. No one knows if it's legit but you'd think they'd have more information and ID. Of course I called management as did 2 others before me and they sent 'enforcers' over. Someone in the next building actually let them in the foyer and the maintenance guy had to go in and remove him. Cops were there and picked the guy up and later a purple mini van came by and the cop let the fellow go; he got into the mini van and left.

This most likely is a Trojan Horse scam. They get into your place and scope it out and perhaps come back. They also look who's living there and take note of security, locks and how easy you let them inside. Beware and never let anyone in your home and if you live in a building don't let them in, if need be I walk downstairs and speak to them through the front door... it never fails but someone will just buzz the door and let them in without care. I feel bad if someone's trying to make a honest buck but that's life bub.. better safe than sorry.

You can be aware, insightful and kind without being a victim.

Signature Bar
You can always visit Chicago so why live there?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 16 2015, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(ChicagoMachine @ Jun 15 2015, 02:14 PM) *

I have a temp. place in MC. I was at this residence when some guy rings my front intercom for our building. I NEVER, ever buzz anyone in since that defeats your first line of defense. Guy offering to clean rooms and says he's from Kirby. He had a laminated non-descript flyer with very little info. I've read other sites where the exact same thing is happening. No one knows if it's legit but you'd think they'd have more information and ID. Of course I called management as did 2 others before me and they sent 'enforcers' over. Someone in the next building actually let them in the foyer and the maintenance guy had to go in and remove him. Cops were there and picked the guy up and later a purple mini van came by and the cop let the fellow go; he got into the mini van and left.

This most likely is a Trojan Horse scam. They get into your place and scope it out and perhaps come back. They also look who's living there and take note of security, locks and how easy you let them inside. Beware and never let anyone in your home and if you live in a building don't let them in, if need be I walk downstairs and speak to them through the front door... it never fails but someone will just buzz the door and let them in without care. I feel bad if someone's trying to make a honest buck but that's life bub.. better safe than sorry.

You can be aware, insightful and kind without being a victim.

Why would anyone let a person like this in their home? Obvious trouble.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 16 2015, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

The worst ones that go door to door are these "Ministers" from Fairhaven Baptist Church in Chesterton.

You tell them that you are not interested and they just take no for an answer and you have to slam the door in their face.

In in 1974 my mother served on a sequestered grand jury for three weeks in Porter County superior court in Valparaiso that indicted the "ministers" from Fairhaven Baptist Church of physically battering and abusing preschool school children. I was only five years old at the time and had to stay with my grandparents in Lake Station while she served on the grand jury and my dad was at work. Mom is a 72 years old widow now and it still bothers 40 years later to talk about the details of this case.

When my oldest sister was in high school these "ministers" from Fairhaven abducted and kidnapped one of her classmates right out of the Portage High School parking lot and took him to Texas.

What is worse is Fairhaven tries to target and poach their students for their non accredited school from the communities most dysfunctional families.

Things have not changed one bit over the years at Fairhaven. Here is a recent piece that CNN did about Fairhaven:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEeoF_t4sfQ

These "ministers" from Fairhaven Baptist Church in Chesterton are not welcome at my house.
+Quote Post
ChicagoMachine
post Jun 16 2015, 11:15 AM
Post #4

Sounds more like a 'cult' than a Baptist church. I lived in Georgia for years and never had problems with the typical Baptists other than one of them informing me the world is 6,000 years old. I also have no problems with anyone doing soft selling and that are respectful when told 'no thanks'. If you live on a busy street with your door near the street I can see them trying to knock. I do not like when they come up on your property (esp. secluded) or try to get into secure areas. I use to be nice and it was hard for me to say 'get lost' but after living in Chicago for so long, it's not a problem. I have heard of Fairhaven for years and if they think that kind of Christian love is welcome these days they may be mistaken... we have enough fear and division now a days; don't need it in a place you go to say hello to the lord or cleanse your sinning soul wink.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
ChicagoMachine
post Jun 16 2015, 11:20 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Tim @ Jun 16 2015, 01:51 AM) *

Why would anyone let a person like this in their home? Obvious trouble.

I agree. I just posted this since they tend to operate in areas for a given time frame. With conceal carry and baseball bats I still read about home invasions. I tend to worry about the elderly that come from a different place in time that may open their doors to a good old floor cleaning.. and in turn get beat up or worse. These folks prey on the weak and naïve and yes.. lonely. the elderly are easy marks for these 'evil doers'.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 17 2015, 05:02 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(ChicagoMachine @ Jun 16 2015, 11:20 AM) *

I agree. I just posted this since they tend to operate in areas for a given time frame. With conceal carry and baseball bats I still read about home invasions. I tend to worry about the elderly that come from a different place in time that may open their doors to a good old floor cleaning.. and in turn get beat up or worse. These folks prey on the weak and naïve and yes.. lonely. the elderly are easy marks for these 'evil doers'.

Well, good point.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:36 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com