Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=50723.86

NICTD may change schedule

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - The Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District may be changing its weekend schedule, a move that would result in one less train between Chicago and Michigan City.

John Parsons, spokesman for NICTD, said the reorganization of the schedule is part of a move to ensure trains are on time in Chicago as well as stops along the South Shore Line.

"It's difficult to maintain our schedule on weekends," Parsons said. "We can't sustain the schedule because of single-track operations, where we have eastbound trains meeting westbound trains."

Another reason behind the schedule being altered, Parsons said, is to put people in Chicago when they want to be in Chicago, and get people out of the city when they prefer.

If the schedule were to change, South Bend would also lose access to three trains over the weekend.

The main difference in the schedule is the addition of a westbound express train that will operate between Chicago and South Bend. The proposed new schedule would take effect no earlier than mid-April, if approved.

Parsons is also looking forward to the introduction of 14 new double-decker cars to the transportation system.

"They'll have a positive impact on ridership," he said, "But we don't know where those will be introduced."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Feb 16 2009, 10:39 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 546

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 16 2009, 01:10 PM) *

Why are they decreasing trains, and adding cars to the fleet. All the while ridership is up.

Am I missing something?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Feb 17 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Feb 16 2009, 10:39 PM) *

Why are they decreasing trains, and adding cars to the fleet. All the while ridership is up.

Am I missing something?

I would think that it is budget based,,,,by adding cars or double deckers to the trains, more people could ride on each train time. Perhaps the timing of the train they are considering removing between MC and Chicago currently has low ridership.

For the ones they are removing between MC and South Bend on the weekends, does that have something to do with the double deckers? I thought I read somewhere that they cannot take the double deckers past MC (something to do with how the tracks lie or height of the double deckers).

I am sure we will get info from someone here soon.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 07:32 AM
Post #4

Am I missing something?

"It's difficult to maintain our schedule on weekends," Parsons said. "We can't sustain the schedule because of single-track operations, where we have eastbound trains meeting westbound trains."

This is South Shore speak for saying that a significant portion of the tracks they operate are single tracked areas. This means only one train at a time can run through that section at a time. If another train is in the area, they have to wait back at the first spot where there are two tracks available until the first train passes through. I don't know the details exactly, but I am under the impression that most of the distance between SB and MC is single track meaning that there are long stretches where one train would have to wait for another train. This can lead to really long delays while trains wait for each other to pass.
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Feb 17 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 865

Am I missing something?

No, not missing, but the story was not very detailed. Let me try to fill in some blanks.

The current weekend "memory schedule" was put in place back in the 1990s, with the goal of creating a timetable that would be easy for occasional passengers to remember - a train every two hours at exactly the same minutes past the hour. A laudable goal.

The problem with the schedule is two-fold: first, it sets up "meets" in the siding located just west of Michigan City. A meet is a pre-arranged passing of two trains of different direction. There are no other opportunities to meet two trains east of that point until you reach another siding 16 miles away, in the MC-SB section of the line. West of that meet point, there is another siding about 3 miles away, but it's not a good place to move the meet, because the westbound train is the one more likely to be late. Hope that makes sense - sometimes it's easier if you're looking at a track map.

The problem with this is that if one of the two trains is late, it "transmits" its delay to the other, since you obviously can't move two trains in opposite directions on the same piece of single track. So, a slight problem with a train, or even just excess passenger loadings (which happens on and off throughout the year) can cause, say, a 10 minute delay. That 10 minutes gets transmitted to the opposite direction train, plus a few extra minutes for "clearing time". So now you have two trains 10 to 12 minutes late. If either of those trains is unable to recover from that lateness at the end of their runs, they will be late coming back, and will transmit that delay to the opposite direction train, and so on and so forth.

What you would want to do, if you can, is to move the meets to places where there is solid double track. There are two of these west of Dune Park - one a 6.5 mile segment in the area of Odgen Dunes Station, and the other from Gary Metro west to Kensington, where the South Shore meets Metra.

The new schedule does do that - it moves meets into solid double track territory, to avoid the "transmitting delay" and cascading lateness problem that happens on busy weekends.

The second issue is what we call "turn time" or "recovery time". At South Bend, trains are given 20 minutes to arrive, disembark passengers, call the dispatcher for permission to leave the station and get any new orders that may be in effect, perform a federally-mandated brake test that is done every time a train changes direction, and board new passengers. This can usually be accomplished in about 10 minutes, depending on the size of the crowd. But if the train is more than 10 minutes late, it's going to leave South Bend late, and transmit its delay to the eastbound train west of MC.

The new schedule provides more recovery time at South Bend, so that a train that does arrive late doesn't necessarily turn into a late train in the other direction.

Finally, the new schedule puts the railroad's resources where they're most needed - into the city in the morning, and out in the late afternoon/evening. There are actually more trains into the city in the morning with the new schedule, including a new express train from South Bend, than are in the weekend schedule today. That's just basically tailoring the service to the demand.

Hope that's a little better explanation than what's in the paper.

+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 17 2009, 01:22 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

Thanks, Joe! I'm going to have to read that a few times to get a grasp on what it means (that's just me), but it's great to have someone from NICTD giving some input on the board.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 17 2009, 01:27 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 17 2009, 01:22 PM) *

Thanks, Joe! I'm going to have to read that a few times to get a grasp on what it means (that's just me), but it's great to have someone from NICTD giving some input on the board.

Imagine the road to South Bend as being one lane only. At no point along that stretch can the road accommodate cars going in opposite directions. A car wanting to go to South Bend would have to sit and wait in Michigan City for a car coming from South Bend to get all of the way here before that car could continue on to South Bend. If the car going to MC broke down at any point, the car going to SB would be stuck waiting until that car made it through the single laned stretch of traffic.

That in a very simple sense is the problem that the South Shore faces in areas with single tracks.
+Quote Post
jb9152
post Feb 17 2009, 05:23 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 802

Joe -

Will there still be an add at the Shops for trains coming from South Bend? I know you guys have been trying to minimize that lately. I rode this past weekend, and noticed that you didn't add cars at Carroll Avenue.

What I'm particularly interested in is this new South Bend express train - will it get an add at the Shops, or are you going to run 8 cars out to South Bend for the turn?

Also - how did you determine the express train running times - did you TPC it, or did you run a test train, or are you using estimated times?

Thanks!
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Feb 18 2009, 10:58 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(jb9152 @ Feb 17 2009, 05:23 PM) *

Joe -

Will there still be an add at the Shops for trains coming from South Bend? I know you guys have been trying to minimize that lately. I rode this past weekend, and noticed that you didn't add cars at Carroll Avenue.

What I'm particularly interested in is this new South Bend express train - will it get an add at the Shops, or are you going to run 8 cars out to South Bend for the turn?

Also - how did you determine the express train running times - did you TPC it, or did you run a test train, or are you using estimated times?

Thanks!

Hi John -

It's going to depend on the weather, more than anything else. We've been minimizing adds during the winter, especially during the extreme cold and snow, so that we don't have to deal with pin box problems (ice coating the pins).

The new weekend cannonball probably won't be getting an add - it's not even scheduled to stop at Carroll Avenue.

We determined the express running times by using survey data that we did back last year; we took 50 to 60 trains and recorded all of their arrival and departure times at every station. After statistically removing any data outliers, we calculated average running and station dwell times and have been using that data to work on subsequent timetables.

I'd like to get a TPC application at some point, so we can do more "what if" planning.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Feb 18 2009, 11:03 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

Joe, thanks for the information! This is one of the most valuable threads I have read in a while.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
joe.black
post Feb 18 2009, 04:55 PM
Post #11

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Feb 18 2009, 11:03 AM) *

Joe, thanks for the information! This is one of the most valuable threads I have read in a while.

My pleasure. In reading back what I wrote, I'm hoping that it's clear. I think, as I noted in my original explanation, that it's easier to visualize it on a map - it's certainly easier for me to write it as I stare at a track map.

I've wanted for some time to have a forum, some type of "NICTD Managers' Roundtable" situation where I could answer questions, perhaps explain some of the more seemingly confusing things we do, and what our plans are for the future. This message board has been a good outlet. Thanks for the good questions.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 19 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(joe.black @ Feb 18 2009, 10:58 AM) *

Hi John -

It's going to depend on the weather, more than anything else. We've been minimizing adds during the winter, especially during the extreme cold and snow, so that we don't have to deal with pin box problems (ice coating the pins).

The new weekend cannonball probably won't be getting an add - it's not even scheduled to stop at Carroll Avenue.

We determined the express running times by using survey data that we did back last year; we took 50 to 60 trains and recorded all of their arrival and departure times at every station. After statistically removing any data outliers, we calculated average running and station dwell times and have been using that data to work on subsequent timetables.

I'd like to get a TPC application at some point, so we can do more "what if" planning.

I imagine you are also using that data to determine which stations will get the next platforms for loading/offloading, or is that already planned?
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Feb 20 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 19 2009, 07:49 AM) *

I imagine you are also using that data to determine which stations will get the next platforms for loading/offloading, or is that already planned?

As a matter of fact, we are. The next station scheduled for high level platforms is Dune Park, based on our current loading times. Carroll Avenue actually has longer dwells, but those are due to cuts and adds of cars to trains, and not on passenger movement times.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 26 2009, 12:44 PM
Post #14

http://www.wndu.com/localnews/headlines/41862287.html

South Shore officials look to optimize schedule Save Email Print
Posted: 7:45 PM Mar 25, 2009
Last Updated: 7:45 PM Mar 25, 2009

Your next train ride to Chicago may be changing.

South Shore officials are hoping to alter the schedule so that fewer trains are coming in and out of South Bend, but at better times and with more cars.

For example, you would be able to catch an 11:00 p.m. train out of Chicago to South Bend. Right now, it stops in Michigan City.

Officials say many more people are using the train these days, and by the time everyone boards, the trains often take off behind schedule.

The plan also suggests an express train from South Bend to Chicago.

"Since 1991, weekend ridership has increased from roughly 242,000 to over 623,000 passengers last year -- just weekend ridership. Now this is up and down the line, not just South Bend," explains John Parsons, from the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District. "We've seen a dramatic increase, and most of that is in the last three or four years.

The district's train board will vote on the idea Friday, and if it's approved, we will see changes in a few weeks.

Parsons also said he does not expect the cost of riding the train to go up.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 30 2009, 09:01 AM
Post #15

I'd be curious what this means for the 3:58 and 3:15 departures from Randolph?

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=10088456

South Shore commuter line adding 2 weekday trains

Associated Press - March 28, 2009 5:04 PM ET

CHESTERTON, Ind. (AP) - The South Shore commuter rail line in northwestern Indiana is adding two trains to its weekday schedule to ease overcrowding and delays to and from Chicago.

The two new trains will be a westbound train departing Michigan City for Chicago at 8:16 a.m. and an eastbound train departing Chicago at 4:02 p.m. and ending its route in Gary.

Officials told the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District on Friday that the new weekday schedule will start mid-May at the earliest.

The rail line also plans to have the first 4 of 14 new double-decker cars start carrying passengers on Monday. The new $3.6 million cars will replace older, single-level cars.

Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 30 2009, 09:02 AM
Post #16

http://www.post-trib.com/news/1500265,nictd.article

South Shore ready to double up
Recommend (3)
Comments

March 28, 2009
By Charles M. Bartholomew

Post-Tribune correspondent
CHESTERTON -- Midday riders on the South Shore Railroad will find some changes in the trains soon.

Passengers who board Train No. 116 in Michigan City will be the first to use four new double-decker cars that have completed testing after being retrofitted to correct problems with the auxiliary power system in January.

"We will leave the cars in off-peak service for several weeks to gain experience with ticket collections and communications between conductors and engineers," general manager Gerald Hanas said.

The decision was approved Friday by the Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District Board.

South Shore officials have said the new cars cannot be combined with any of the 68 current single-level passenger cars. He said the South Shore leased two-level cars for a time many years ago.

NICTD purchased 14 double-decker cars, which cost $3.6 million each.

When the new schedule goes into effect no earlier than mid-May, the train will leave the Carroll Avenue station for Chicago at 10:46 a.m. Monday and make its 15 regular stops, including Dune Park at 11:08 a.m. and Gary Metro at 11:30 a.m., arriving at Millennium Station at 12:30 p.m.

The board unanimously approved the addition of Train No. 114, leaving Michigan City at 8:16 a.m. and arriving in Chicago at 9:50, operating in tandem with Train No. 14, the last morning rush-hour train out of South Bend.

Also, a new eastbound train will leave Chicago for Gary at 4:02 p.m.

NICTD spokesman John Parsons said the new weekday schedule will be posted soon online at www.nictd.com

Black said the addition and change will "balance the loads" on some of the most popular South Shore trains and begin to restore the railroad's on-time performance.

The board also adopted Hanas' suggestion to vote next month on comprehensive changes in weekend trains that will increase service to South Bend without increasing the number of trains, but doing away with the "memory schedule" in which a rider could board at a particular station every two hours.

"Since we began this in 1991, on-time performance has dropped to 53 percent with changes in ridership. We couldn't have anticipated the increase and the numbers of people carrying luggage and young families with strollers," NICTD Chief Operating Officer Joseph Black said

Comment on this story at www.post-trib.com.
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Mar 30 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Mar 30 2009, 10:01 AM) *

I'd be curious what this means for the 3:58 and 3:15 departures from Randolph?

http://www.fox28.com/Global/story.asp?S=10088456

The 3:15 departure, Train 209, would become a 2:55 departure. The train that it turns to at Gary would also leave slightly earlier.

The 3:58 departure, Train 11, will leave earlier - 3:50 PM, and operate express to Miller. It will run as a tandem with the new 4:02 departure, Train 211, to balance out the huge loads we've been experiencing lately on Train 11.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 31 2009, 06:56 AM
Post #18

QUOTE(joe.black @ Mar 30 2009, 05:46 PM) *

The 3:15 departure, Train 209, would become a 2:55 departure. The train that it turns to at Gary would also leave slightly earlier.

The 3:58 departure, Train 11, will leave earlier - 3:50 PM, and operate express to Miller. It will run as a tandem with the new 4:02 departure, Train 211, to balance out the huge loads we've been experiencing lately on Train 11.

Thanks for the info. Train 11 is my train home, trust me I know all about those passenger loads! Is that train going to stay as a non-rush hour, with the 4:02 as a rush hour?
+Quote Post
joe.black
post Mar 31 2009, 07:40 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Mar 31 2009, 07:56 AM) *

Thanks for the info. Train 11 is my train home, trust me I know all about those passenger loads! Is that train going to stay as a non-rush hour, with the 4:02 as a rush hour?

That's right - Train 11 will be a non-rush hour train since it leaves before 4 PM. Train 211 will be a rush hour train.

We know this is going to be an adjustment for some of our passengers, but we are hopeful that this move will not only help to alleviate the crowding on Train 11 (looking at the daily reports from yesterday, I'm seeing that we ran at 111% capacity yesterday), but also help with on-time performance by reducing the number of stops.

We plan to continue to monitor ridership and on time performance in a pro-active way and continue to make adjustments that are financially and operationally feasible for us.

Let me know, once this goes into effect, what your personal experience is on Train 11. I'd be interested to know.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:30 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com