Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=45954.58

Trails And Greenways High Up In Marquette Plan

Alaric DeArment
The News-Dispatch

Several members of the public, along with government officials, gathered at the Senior Center in Washington Park Thursday night for the first of a series of town hall meetings throughout Northwest Indiana to discuss the second phase of the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission's Marquette Plan.

The purpose of the plan, NIRPC Executive Director John Swanson said, was to establish a long-range vision for protecting and enhancing shoreline areas.

"It looks at the value of the lakefront communities and areas as assets for the region and looks at ways to protect and enhance those assets," Swanson said.

A major part of the plan involves developing trails and greenways in the region.

"I would just like to see the Marquette Plan advance so 20 years down the line we have a bike trail extending from Chicago to the Michigan state line," NIRPC commissioner and Trail Creek Town Councilman Ron Lombard said.

"I think the biggest issue we've heard is the balance between ecology and development," said Gregg Calpino, a member of NIRPC's consulting team and principal at Chicago-based urban planning firm JJR LLC. "How heavily the human hand touches that is always an issue."

Goals of the plan include recapturing 75 percent of shoreline for public access, according to a slideshow presentation that Calpino and fellow JJR consultant Vishal Kundra gave. The presentation emphasized that the goal was not to grab land, displace people or increase taxes.

"This is not to expand the national park and take over every neighborhood in Northwest Indiana," Calpino said in the presentation. "The goal is to find a balance."

The presentation included a short video that showed what visitors to Michigan City might see upon arrival: underdeveloped properties, lack of signs to indicate they had arrived and a power plant dominating the skyline. This, Calpino said, made it look as though Michigan City "doesn't look like a place to visit or live."

"One solution is signage," Kundra said. "Tell people about it."

With that, the meeting opened to members of the community to voice their concerns. The South Shore Line and the location of the station on 11th Street figured prominently in the discussion.

"This is the home of the South Shore railroad and we have the worst station on the line," retired Michigan City resident Dale Engquist said. "That crummy little thing downtown is an abomination. It ought to bring you closer to where people want to go, which is farther north."

Receiving criticism and suggestions from the public, however, were the purpose of the meeting.

"This is more of a public visioning process where we're using members of the public as resources," Swanson said.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 20 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

They are speaking my language as far as public access goes.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Jun 22 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12

Aren't they closing 11th Street station this year?

Signature Bar
Please help me fight HIV/AIDS with the Empire State AIDS Ride.
http://ESAR6.kintera.org/RexKickass
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 26 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #4

11th is closing to repave, but I have not heard about the station itself closing permanently.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 27 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #5

I haven't heard anything either, and that is where I catch the train everyday. I know they just built a new $30K shelter so I can't imagine them closing down now.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Jul 17 2007, 04:52 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

does the parks dept have more info on the trails plan and how it connects tothe mc plan?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 27 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #7

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=52037.99

Marquette Plan A Matter Of Balance
About 30 attend meeting to discuss future of lakefront.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - It's a matter of balance, planners said about Marquette Plan Phase 2 on Wednesday at Michigan City Senior Center.

About 30 people attended the event, fewer than the numbers at Tuesday's meeting in Chesterton.

Several in attendance suggested that, what with the series of North End planning meetings with Andrews University students and professors, perhaps Michigan City residents are feeling planned out.

The plan was conceived by U.S. Rep Pete Visclosky, (D-Merrillville.) It was and is seen as a system of preserving Indiana's Lake Michigan shoreline as much as possible, even in the face of heavy industry.

The Chesterton meeting was to discuss the Indiana lakefront from Lake County to the Burns Waterway, while Wednesday's event was to talk about the lakefront from the Burns Waterway to the Michigan state line.

Hosted by the Northwest Indiana Regional Planning Commission, the meetings in Porter and La Porte County were designed to get public comment.

NIRPC Executive Director John Swanson turned most of the meeting over to Gregg Calpino, principal and project firm of JJR Parks and Recreation in Chicago.

There were three visions for the lakefront, one leaning toward conservation issues, one to commercial development and one toward community.

In the end, he said, the plan likely will borrow from all three concerns.

Discussion was wide ranging, with some about transportation issues, especially the South Shore. Others wanted to talk about visitors while almost everyone wanted to talk about clean water issues.

Jane Smith, owner of the Feallock House bed and breakfast, said she had guests during the summer who could not swim in the lake several times because bacteria levels were too high.

Calpino suggested one solution might be for smaller cities and towns to work together on sewage treatment matters.

In meeting with city and town officials and others about the plan, Calpino said the age-old tension between visitors and residents shows no sign of dying.

The beauty of the Marquette Plan, he said, is that there is room for communities that welcome visitors and for those that would rather have their privacy.

"Portage, Chesterton and Michigan City have emerged as communities embracing tourism," he said. Each has a convenient exit from Interstate 94 and has or is working on getting effective signage directing visitors to attractions.

What is needed, he said, is a visitor management plan for the region. The idea would be to help tourists to find the spots they are seeking while sparing them the confusion of wandering aimlessly through residential areas.

"This plan recognizes individual rights," he noted.

Corasue Nicholas, Ogden Dunes, said she and her husband moved to the area from Chicago seven years ago, primarily because they enjoy hiking in the dunes and watching wildlife, including birds.

She said Portage and Chesterton are growing quickly, "but I don't think they know what they're doing."

She said she would emphasize the conservation aspect the plan.

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 27 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:54 AM) *

With that, the meeting opened to members of the community to voice their concerns. The South Shore Line and the location of the station on 11th Street figured prominently in the discussion.

"This is the home of the South Shore railroad and we have the worst station on the line," retired Michigan City resident Dale Engquist said. "That crummy little thing downtown is an abomination. It ought to bring you closer to where people want to go, which is farther north."

Ugh, these people just don't get it, do they? The South Shore exists to give us access, as commuters, to the Loop, not vice-versa. Chicagoans aren't going to drive to the Loop and pay $28 for parking so that they can get on a train that will take an hour and 45 minutes to get to Michigan City (Paying $13 round trip in the process). If the Loop was like Manhattan, maybe it would make sense. But its not, so it doesn't.

Move it south, or don't move it at all.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 28 2007, 07:11 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Sep 27 2007, 03:50 PM) *

Ugh, these people just don't get it, do they? The South Shore exists to give us access, as commuters, to the Loop, not vice-versa. Chicagoans aren't going to drive to the Loop and pay $28 for parking so that they can get on a train that will take an hour and 45 minutes to get to Michigan City (Paying $13 round trip in the process). If the Loop was like Manhattan, maybe it would make sense. But its not, so it doesn't.

Riding the train everyday to work and back, there is a decent amount of people who ride the train out there. Granted it is no where near the volume of people that go into Chicago for tourism, but there are a few. Some people come out to Blue Chip, a few to the Lake, and some to the Mall. The Mall has taken a big hit with the new outlet open in Aurora, as that was one of the big areas LHP drew people from.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Sep 28 2007, 07:18 AM
Post #10

mcstumper has a point here. I suspect that there are very few daytrippers to MC via the CSS&SB. Where does he propose the station would be?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 28 2007, 07:32 AM
Post #11

I know it isn't cost effecient, but I would love someone to restore that building. I love the old station.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 28 2007, 08:28 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Sep 27 2007, 03:50 PM) *

If you move the station south, you lose proximity to the "Golden Triangle", which is what we've been using to draw tourists into our area. Instead of moving the station, why not just restore the buidling on 11th St.?
Personally, I think having the tracks in the middle of 11th St also add character to the line and to our City.
But that's just my opinion...
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 28 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(JHeath @ Sep 28 2007, 08:28 AM) *

If you move the station south, you lose proximity to the "Golden Triangle", which is what we've been using to draw tourists into our area. Instead of moving the station, why not just restore the buidling on 11th St.?
Personally, I think having the tracks in the middle of 11th St also add character to the line and to our City.
But that's just my opinion...

I'm with Jenny. When I tell people that a train runs down the middle of the road in my hometown, they are awed. And SSder is right about the station. I was in there before the building closed and it is absolutely gorgeous inside. Or was anyway. I think it should be restored and the tracks left right where they are. It would help the north end tremendously

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 28 2007, 12:20 PM
Post #14

http://www.post-trib.com/news/579013,mcmarquette.article

Residents have many ideas for Marquette Plan

September 28, 2007
BY CHARLES M. BARTHOLOMEW Post-Tribune correspondent

MICHIGAN CITY -- Regional planning officials are counting as a success this week's pair of public meetings on a unified development plan for the Indiana shore of Lake Michigan.
Almost 100 people attended the Tuesday meeting in Chesterton and the Wednesday meeting in Michigan City to hear consultants for the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission explain "Marquette 2," the phase of U.S. Rep. Peter Visclosky's vision for the lake shore extending from the Port of Indiana to the Michigan state line and including 13 cities and towns in Porter and LaPorte counties.

The plan, due to be completed by the end of this year, will be a set of recommendations for increasing access to the lake for visitors and improving the quality of life for residents, building on the first phase that was completed last year and covers the area from Whiting to Portage. Five meetings on Marquette 2 were held in June.

"The meetings have all been very, very constructive," John Swanson, NIRPC executive director, said.

The majority of the 30 people who came to the Senior Center in Washington Park on Wednesday night were from Michigan City and adjacent towns.

Project manager Greg Calpino of JJR in Chicago said the final product will be a mix of scenarios favoring either conservation, commerce or communities.

Many comments concerned projects that would be part of the commerce scenario, principally relocating the South Shore tracks closer to the lake and building a new Michigan City train station.

"I'm hearing tonight that the train station is an absolutely critical component of this plan," Calpino said, adding that picking a site for it would come later.

Corasue Nichols of Ogden Dunes said turning U.S. 12 into a scenic corridor is "a very positive idea," but she questioned whether widening the road for bike lanes was needed with the Calumet Trail running parallel to it.

Michigan City Councilwoman Patricia Boy was one of several who said however desirable development for residents or visitors was, conservation issues, particularly Lake Michigan's water quality, must be addressed first.

"Once you do that, everything else will follow," she said.

"People come all the way from Texas and can't go in the water. We have no Jetskis, no parasails, no boats for them to go out onto the lake. There's nothing for them to do," Marcia Averitt of Michigan City said.

Swanson said this week's input will be used to develop three sets of recommendations that will be presented at public meetings some time in November.

He said NIRPC will continue to take comments on the Marquette 2 Plan at its Web site www.nirpc.org

+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Sep 28 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Sep 28 2007, 08:18 AM) *

mcstumper has a point here. I suspect that there are very few daytrippers to MC via the CSS&SB. Where does he propose the station would be?

One of two places. If the parking is sufficient, I would put it next to the MCAS Physical Plant building (whatever its called) just south of Ames Field. If not there, I would put it west of Ohio St., just north of the CSX tracks. The interesting thing about the second location is that it is very near the abandoned Monon Railroad right-of-way. If you were truly concerned about day-trippers, you could build a trolley line that would start at the new South Shore station, run north on the Monon ROW then parallel to the Amtrak line all the way up to the current train depot (Swingbellies). This trolley line would run right next to the Lighthouse Mall, so you could theoretically build a mini-station for dropping people off there. The trolley could be seasonal, operating just on weekends or holidays.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 1 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #16

FWIW, NICTD favors a move to the south, if they do indeed reroute the South Shore tracks.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=47843.67

NICTD: Send 11th St. Tracks South

Amanda Haverstick
The News-Dispatch

CHESTERTON - Should the time come for the South Shore tracks on 11th Street to move, they likely will head south.

Gerald Hanas, Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District general manager, said a goal is to reduce travel time, and getting through Michigan City quicker helps achieve that.

"One of the big elephants in the room ... is the fact that we're running on the streets of Michigan City," Hanas said. "That's a big impediment to South Shore and Michigan City traffic."

Hanas reiterated to NICTD's board Friday that he believes a substantial amount of time can be cut by rerouting the track off 11th Street.

"It's a relic of the old interurban days where we went through the streets of Gary, through the streets of East Chicago and Hammond and for that matter South Bend," NICTD spokesman John Parsons said. "This is the last remaining piece we have. It's an extremely expensive piece of railroad to maintain, probably the most expensive two miles in our system."

Parsons said the tracks, ties and ballasts are buried under the street.

"Every so often, we have to go through and rip it all out and replace it," Parsons said. "Periodically, we have to go in, even after these massive excavation projects, and do detailed work later on. It really reduces the asphalt life Michigan City experiences with their street."

NICTD and Michigan City studied north and south alternatives to reroute the track.

"The north alternative we looked at was getting on the old Nickel Plate (railroad), which is owned by the SouthShore Freight," Parsons said.

A swing bridge along the route that crosses Trail Creek presents a fatal flaw in trying to use the northern route. One of the big issues, he said, is that the South Shore's maintenance and storage facilities are to the east of the swing bridge.

"If there's any problem with that swing bridge," Parsons said, "we don't have a rush hour in the morning."

Another proposal, he said, has been to build a bridge over Trail Creek.

"Because the freight service will be with us and will require a 2 percent grade, we will have to start our bridge ... going over U.S. 12. We'd probably be going through (downtown) Michigan City at 30 feet in the air, coming down probably at Lincoln Yard," Parsons said. "That was discounted early on in favor of a southern (route)."

Parsons said a southerly alignment would take the South Shore along the CSX tracks and NIPSCO utility corridor.

"We would join the South Shore at the cinder block company on U.S. 12 near the county line," he said.

NICTD and CSX would segregate operations with the South Shore running north of the CSX tracks.

New station facilities, Parsons said, will be located by Franklin Street near Ames Field.

"It would give us the opportunity to develop a pretty attractive station," Parsons said. "We have very limited parking in downtown Michigan City. At 11th Street, there are only 30 spaces and around 200 spaces at Carroll Avenue."

Parsons said a new station could offer 400 spaces.

The move south, Parsons said, would improve operating time and reduce the number of grade crossings from 32 to 17. The cost of such a project would range between $60 and $80 million.

q

Contact Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 1 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #17

I'll admit, I am a fan of this letter... More doing, less planning. It also bothers me if the stuff about politicians buying land is true. That is kind of conflict of interest, don't you think?

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48507.66

City Hears Lots Of Plans, But Just Needs To Get Moving
In response to the Marquette Plan, I am amazed why people continue to study the lakes and access to them. The Andrews University team and their charette was to tell the city what we already know and at a cost to whom? Now I read about the Marquette Plan that recently acquired a $1 million grant to hire a consulting firm to discuss access to Lake Michigan. What happened to Ron Meer's resolution? It was submitted and passed through our City Council proposing the same thing.

I have spent a lot of time watching and listening to these plans. Why can't this be done? Access to the old West Beach can be done at little to not cost. Why are the greedy planners and leaders of this town buying up more land on the North Side/West Side? To capitalize on the access? I have spoken with heads of the Economic Development committee and City Council members, both having members buying land.

Let's get these plans and studies that don't move forward off the chalk board and in motion before the land grabbers buy it all. We the people of Michigan City want access to the West Beach area. This could be the greatest financial boom in Michigan City to target small businesses and residents alike, not just the big money like the riverboat and Lighthouse Place. Come on, people, speak up before we don't have anything left. Feel free to contact me.

West Side businessman and homeowner,

Tony Childers

Michigan City

tonysoutboard@adsnet.com or 874-4086
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 3 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=55121.34

West Side Needs Access To The Lake
Tony Childers is correct on many points ["City hears lots of plans, just needs to get moving," Saturday]. His strongest point is that we keep repeating the same studies, and essentially we're being told the same thing at additional cost and time.

Another important point he makes isthe need for access to Lake Michigan from the West Side of Michigan City. This can be successfully accomplished if the city, NIPSCO and the railroads involved expedite access in a secured manner for all parties.

The West Side of Michigan City and all Michigan City residents can no longer afford to be restricted from the primary asset of our area. Having access to Lake Michigan is what brings value to the area and potentially improves the quality of life.

It's time to implement what we know will help improve our community.

Ron Meer, Councilman

Third Ward

Michigan City
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 3 2007, 03:52 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 43

laugh.gif Do we get a cut of the grant for what we already know?
It's not that difficult...really. We need better access to the lakefront, from all angles.
Use the money from private developers to make it happen....instead of raising taxes for the rest of us.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 3 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

The move south, Parsons said, would improve operating time and reduce the number of grade crossings from 32 to 17. The cost of such a project would range between $60 and $80 million.

I can believe that the maintainance of 11th street is the highest for any two miles of NICTD track (though I'd still like to see the actual numbers), but I have to wonder how many years is it going to take NICTD to save $60 million by making this move. Does anyone think they spend a million bucks a year on 11th street? Give me $60 million, I can give you a million a year return on that by buying savings bonds, for crying out loud. Heck, take the $60 million, buy every house along 11th street clear though town, close the street, build a train level platform, close half the grade crossings, repurchase the old train station and rehab it, build a parking garage on the same block as the station, and give me the $30 million that's left over.

I am going to get a reputation on here as a conspiracy theorist, I'm afraid. However, I want you all to know I believe Lee Harvey Oswald shot JFK, we really did land on the moon, and the TrlLateral Commission is a glorified social club. However, I once again have to wonder what the hidden agenda is about moving the train station from where it is on 11th street, considering the outrageous costs involved in doing so and the simple fact that it seems to be working where it has been for the past 100 years.
+Quote Post

5 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:05 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com