Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Superintendent search thread
Southsider2k12
post Sep 23 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Hey Alicia, do you guys have Iacona's contract on file? I am curious what an extra $100 per day brings her salary to exactly? If my math is right, this adds an extra $24,000 to $25,000 per year to her salary.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=25948

MCAS board forms three-person search committee for new superintendent
Board also approves new contract for Iacona as interim

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - A three-person search committee, which includes the chancellor of Purdue University-North Central, was named Tuesday to recommend candidates for Michigan City's new school superintendent.

The group will consist of PNC Chancellor James B. Dworkin; Paul Applegate, president of a Michigan City accounting firm; and Jaye Fuller, business manager for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 531 in La Porte, School Board President James Kintzele said.

"Instead of spending $50,000 or $60,000 for a headhunter to bring us names, I feel these community members will do a better job for our district," Kintzele said.

In its last superintendent search, which resulted in the selection of former superintendent Michael Harding, the school board spent about $14,500 to hire the Bickert Group, an organization that specializes in superintendent searches.

The search committee will solicit candidate applications and make a recommendation to the school board of the top candidates for the position. The school board will vote on which candidate it would like to hire.

"A search and screen committee would probably be an appropriate name for it, since they will funnel down for us the bona fide candidates," school board member Jeffrey Jones said. "I just hope we can find a way for some sort of input, for employees and parents and other interested people to meet or provide input on particular candidates."

The search process could take some time, Kintzele said, but he hopes to have the group begin meeting next week.

The school board also voted to approve a new interim superintendent contract for Carla Iacona, which provides her with $100 more pay per day for the job, rectroactive to Aug. 25 and good until the hiring of a permanent superintendent.

"Right now Carla is doing two jobs, the superintendent's job and her own (as assistant superintendent)," Kintzele said. "As I understand it, if a teacher fills in for a principal they make $50 more per day. If we would have hired an interim superintendent we'd have to pay them a full salary, so I think this is a good compromise."

The contract also provides full payment of Iacona's health and dental insurance beginning Sept. 25, and the use of the superintendent's car. The Board will continue to pay for insurance and maintenance, as well as fuel during the week and on weekends as related to school business.

"Surely she won't put as many miles on the car," Kintzele joked, poking fun at the fact that Harding used to drive the vehicle to Michigan City every school day from Goshen. "We would have to pay mileage anyway, so she may as well use it."

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Sep 23 2009, 09:58 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 945

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Sep 23 2009, 08:47 AM) *

Hey Alicia, do you guys have Iacona's contract on file? I am curious what an extra $100 per day brings her salary to exactly? If my math is right, this adds an extra $24,000 to $25,000 per year to her salary.

I have requested the salaries of all MCAS employees for this year, and I expect to receive them by the end of next week. So I'll know then how much she makes. But yeah, it'll add about $26,000 a year to her salary.

Also, an apology: At the end of the story, I wrote Harding drove back and forth from Goshen. It was Granger. Completely my bad.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 23 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #3

QUOTE(NDReporter @ Sep 23 2009, 10:58 AM) *

I have requested the salaries of all MCAS employees for this year, and I expect to receive them by the end of next week. So I'll know then how much she makes. But yeah, it'll add about $26,000 a year to her salary.

Also, an apology: At the end of the story, I wrote Harding drove back and forth from Goshen. It was Granger. Completely my bad.

Excellent! Thank you for that. I couldn't remember how many days the Super is required to work under contract. I will go out and guess this will put Iacona at 6 figures, give or take $5000.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 25 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #4

Thinking a little bit more about this... I really think that we will see Dr. Iacona become the Super of the MCAS next. Last search committee was geared towards finding someone out of the MCAS because it wasn't connected to the school system or town at all. This time it is 3 respected community members from the area. Plus when you add in the issues with Harding refusing to embrace the community, even after having his assistant blasting the City and the school system, it makes sense that they would look towards someone who understands Michigan City. Iacona has been in the MCAS as long as I can remember. When I was in high school at Elston in the late 80's and early 90's she was an assistant principal on Tim Bietry's staff. She knows the teachers and staff of Michigan City better than anyone else that could be brought in, and with trust at an all-time low, it may well be worth the gamble.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 2 2009, 08:30 AM
Post #5

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=37364.25

Make short work of sup't search
Why is there a search for a school superintendent when we already have a qualified assistant superintendent?

Isn't the purpose of the assistant to take over when the superintendent is absent? Who knows more about the present state of affairs of the school system than the assistant? I doubt that anyone from the outside would be more qualified. Then, again, maybe Dr. Iacona doesn't want the job. If she does, then hire an assistant superintendent and let's be done with it.

Jerome Janci

Michigan City
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Oct 4 2009, 07:57 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Sep 25 2009, 08:57 AM) *
Thinking a little bit more about this... I really think that we will see Dr. Iacona become the Super of the MCAS next. Last search committee was geared towards finding someone out of the MCAS because it wasn't connected to the school system or town at all. This time it is 3 respected community members from the area. Plus when you add in the issues with Harding refusing to embrace the community, even after having his assistant blasting the City and the school system, it makes sense that they would look towards someone who understands Michigan City. Iacona has been in the MCAS as long as I can remember. When I was in high school at Elston in the late 80's and early 90's she was an assistant principal on Tim Bietry's staff. She knows the teachers and staff of Michigan City better than anyone else that could be brought in, and with trust at an all-time low, it may well be worth the gamble.

Please no! Don't give me a heart attack!!! Iacona, Radford, and a few "others" all have been at the MCAS way too long. We need a fresh prospective. I like the idea of bringing someone from the outside who is willing to move to MC and become an integral part of the community. This person should have the following criteria:

1. No pending litigation
  2. History of running a school system with improving test scores
  3. Favors a "lean" administration
  4. Not afraid to go against the grain and get their hands dirty with work
These are just the few criteria I thought of while eating breakfast. What would be some others???

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 4 2009, 08:18 AM
Post #7

I'm going to talk about this on the radio show tonight during the 5-6pm hour.

My big thing will be leadership ability. I want to see more people in this system who are public people.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 4 2009, 09:22 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

I have to take Eric's view on this one.

I also think the Superintendent should be willing to listen to the opinions of others within the MCAS and take their suggestions under advisement. If the suggestions aren't good ones, then the new Super should be able to explain the flaws and work toward a more viable solution.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 11 2009, 09:30 AM
Post #9

This plays right into my theory...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26326

Iacona: 'I'm focusing on the now'

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - When asked if she'd like to become Michigan City Area Schools' next superintendent, Carla Iacona played it coy.

"I'm focusing on the now," she said with a small smile. "I'm grateful for the opportunity to serve as interim superintendent, and I'll do that as long as the board is pleased with my work."

Iacona, 53, has come a long way since she joined the school district in 1987 as dean of students at Rogers High School. Every step she's made in the 22 years since has taken her closer to the top spot. She was principal of Michigan City Junior High School, assistant principal of Elston High School and served in a handful of administrative positions before reaching assistant superintendent. That progression, she said, is only a natural result of her true goal - seeing children reach their highest potential.

"I think working in a public school environment was my destiny," she said. "I went into public education because I love children. I dedicated my life to this cause because it makes a tremendous impact on the shape of the world. It's not always the most comfortable, but in many ways I think it's the most rewarding job there is."

Anyone who has attended most any school meeting or function has seen Iacona chatting with parents and teachers. She's lived in the community since she started here, for years right across the street from Joy Elementary School. Although her family and hometown are a day's travel away in Utah, Michigan City has become Iacona's second home.

"Family is something that's very important to Carla, both her own and the one she has here at work," said Betsy Kohn, director of communication, who works closely with Iacona on matters of public importance. "It's very apparent in the way she acts, even how she dresses."

On nearly every finger, Iacona wears rings that have been passed down through her family. A gold cross, also an heirloom, hangs close to her heart. But with that, her co-workers said, comes an air of authority. High heels and matching suits are part of Iacona's daily wardrobe, an extension of her no-nonsense demeanor.

"She's very direct; she'll let you know what needs to be done. People respect her decisions," said payroll director Kathy Burroughs, who has worked with Iacona since the early 1990s. "When her mind is made up, she doesn't waver."

Now that Iacona is juggling the responsibilities of two jobs in the same amount of time, her days are full of meetings about everything from H1N1 to budget shortfalls. She makes decisions on every aspect of the school system, issues as diverse as achievement goals on ISTEP+ tests and transportation schedules. Even before she became interim superintendent, Iacona was sometimes the last to leave her office each day, Kohn said. Now the lights in both Iacona's and the superintendent's offices burn often well into the night, as she uses them both. To Iacona, it's just what she has to do.

"We have dedicated teachers, dedicated staffers who work every hour of the day toward the same goals," Iacona said.

That doesn't mean life is all work and no play. Iacona's love of her alma mater, Notre Dame, and its football team brings a competitive air among the district's top administrators. She's been known to place friendly bets, but not for money. One time director of food services Kathy Kane, a fan of rival Michigan, had to wear a Notre Dame jersey all day. Iacona said she is also known as the Yahtzee champion of her circle of friends.

"It's all about courage and cunning," she said with a chuckle. "I have had many challengers on game night, but I still have the trophy. Which is good, because I never win at any other game we play."

And when Iacona's birthday rolls around, everyone is a part of it. She dons a queen's crown and carries a scepter around the building, staff said, making the day a little brighter for everyone.

"She's got a very good sense of humor," Kohn said.

Presiding over Michigan City schools is a position she takes seriously. That's all, she said, that matters.

"The whole school system is in an important position to change the world," Iacona said. "People may not realize how complex my job is, but they know how important it is that we are all working hard to make sure our kids are thriving."
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 11 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 793

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Oct 4 2009, 08:57 AM) *

Please no! Don't give me a heart attack!!! Iacona, Radford, and a few "others" all have been at the MCAS way too long. We need a fresh prospective. I like the idea of bringing someone from the outside who is willing to move to MC and become an integral part of the community. This person should have the following criteria:

1. No pending litigation
  2. History of running a school system with improving test scores
  3. Favors a "lean" administration
  4. Not afraid to go against the grain and get their hands dirty with work
These are just the few criteria I thought of while eating breakfast. What would be some others???

...to continue the list
5. They will move to MC
6. Their kids will attend MCAS
7. They will streamline central admilnistration (I know that is your #3, Eric) but I want to give it even more emphasis.
8. Title I will be re-instated
9. Class sizes will be reduced
10. The CADDRE report will be seriously considered
My criteria is while I'm spending a few minutes before leaving for the day. Let's think of some more.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2009, 03:30 PM
Post #11

http://www.mcas.k12.in.us/communications/B...ent%20Issue.pdf

Mr. Kintzele gave a brief update on the Search Committee. He said two meetings would soon be
set up, one for school employees, one for general public. The purpose of these meetings would
be to give the community an opportunity for input on the selection process. He said the
Committee would have office space and a phone at the Administration Building if needed. The
Board will not be interfering in committee activities; if there are any questions, please contact the
committee.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 26 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #12

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27280

Public forum set on MCAS chief search
MICHIGAN CITY - Members of the Michigan City Area Schools' Superintendent Search Committee will hold a public forum in December to take comments on what qualities they believe a new district superintendent should possess.

The forum is 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 9, in the Elston Middle School auditorium. Comments and suggestions for the search committee also can be submitted online at www.mcas.k12.in.us (click on the icon for "Superintendent Search").

Committee members were appointed by the School Board at its Sept. 22 meeting. They are: Paul Applegate, CPA, Applegate & Co.; James Dworkin, Purdue University-North Central chancellor; and Jaye Fuller, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 531 business manager.

Prior to the meeting, MCAS employees will have an opportunity to give input at their own forum from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 29 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #13

So who all is planning on going?
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Nov 29 2009, 09:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Nov 29 2009, 08:36 PM) *
So who all is planning on going?

I'll be there.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 30 2009, 09:57 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Yokas @ Oct 11 2009, 09:41 AM) *

...to continue the list
5. They will move to MC
6. Their kids will attend MCAS
7. They will streamline central admilnistration (I know that is your #3, Eric) but I want to give it even more emphasis.
8. Title I will be re-instated
9. Class sizes will be reduced
10. The CADDRE report will be seriously considered
My criteria is while I'm spending a few minutes before leaving for the day. Let's think of some more.

And a very interesting report it is...

May 26, 2009

Michael Harding
Superintendent of Schools
Michigan City Area Schools
408 S. Carroll Avenue
Michigan City, IN 46360

Mr. Harding,

It is with regret that Lee Cox and I completed our final visit to Michigan City Area Schools on May 13, 2009. We so enjoyed building and securing professional relationships with everyone in the district. Although the process had not gone as smoothly as we had hoped, our discussions and work with your administrators have led us to believe that our time spent in Michigan City was valuable and that some long-lasting strategies will be implemented to benefit the needs of your staff and students. This letter details our recommendations for Michigan City Area Schools and a culmination of the final interviews with the principals.

Our recommendations for your district to implement in order to further individual school progress and ultimately, student achievement are as follows:
Obtain a quarterly formative assessment and implement it district-wide. This assessment should mirror the I-STEP as that is the measure with which your entire district is being held accountable by the state of Indiana. Throughout our three years in working with your district, you were offered the 4-Sight Benchmark Assessment at no cost which does this very thing, but the offer had never been accepted. Currently, your district does not have an assessment that accurately provides the information needed for your schools to know with certainty how the students will perform on I-STEP. NWEA and Accelerated Reader, although formative assessments, do not provide the information needed to accurately predict student performance on I-STEP. It is our understanding that Barker Middle School has piloted the use of the state provided Acuity Assessment. Should you choose to use Acuity on a district-wide level, be sure that:
o You understand the PURPOSE of the Acuity Assessment. Is it criterion-referenced or norm-referenced? Is it to look diagnostically at students or is it an indicator of how students will perform on I-STEP? Is it content-focused or standards focused?
o It mirrors the I-STEP. Is it formatted the same as I-STEP? Was the I-STEP blueprint used in developing the Acuity? Is it weighted based upon the I-STEP blueprint as well?
o It can be scored quickly so that data can be analyzed, reviewed and disseminated in a timely manner on a quarterly basis.
o It provides reports that guide instruction. Does it reflect which skills need to be addressed or re-addressed? Does it report the same information that I-STEP provides?
If Acuity does not do these things, then it is not the assessment for your district and you should continue your search until you find an assessment that meets the criteria above.

Adopt ONE comprehensive English/Language Arts Curriculum that is research-proven to be effective. The school administrators have been provided with all of the information that defines this and will guide your search. Your current programs are extremely disjointed and simply put, are of no benefit to the administrators, teachers, or students and this is reflected in the district’s I-STEP scores and your current status with the state. Currently, there are only two reading programs that are research-proven to be effective to increase student achievement and those are
o Direct Instruction
o Success for All.

It would behoove your Curriculum Director to seriously investigate these curricula and along with administrative, teacher and parental input, decide which will work best for your district. Unfortunately, if you continue to use the current curricula as your ELA program, your students will continue to suffer in spite of the work currently being completed with the state mandated curriculum and diary mapping process.

Also, in regards to Response to Intervention, as it relates to your Targeted group (those in the bottom Tier), you cannot even begin to look at the other two tiers until the core instruction is solidly in place. To look at Tier 2 (Strategic Intervention) and Tier 3 (Intensive Intervention) when Tier 1 (the foundation) is not solid, makes the entire “triangle” ineffective. You must find and implement a solid, research-based and proven program before you can focus upon the other tiers. A research-proven program will have the following in place:
o For Kindergarten through 3rd grade students, a minimum of 90 minutes of instruction that contains phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency and comprehension as detailed in the National Reading Panel’s Put Reading First(2000) document. All of these elements will be interconnected and will build upon the other.
o As recommended by Reading Next, A Report to Carnegie Corporation of New York(2004), a solid program for 4th through 12th grade students should also include
· direct, explicit comprehension instruction
· effective instructional principles embedded in content
· motivation and self-directed learning
· text-based collaborative learning
· strategic tutoring
· diverse texts
· intensive writing
· a technology component
· extended time for literacy (two to four hours of literacy instruction in language arts and content-area classes)
· sustainable and on-going professional development for teachers
· formative and summative assessments
· teacher teams
· leadership that understands how to teach reading and writing
· a comprehensive and coordinated literacy program.
A program that does not contain sustainable, on-going professional development, formative and summative assessments, is similar to having no program at all as these are the foundation for any research-proven curriculum.

We truly hope that your district-level administrative team will seriously consider our recommendations and begin to focus upon making effective changes to increase student achievement in reading.

We were able to meet individually with principals to glean information in regards to their work with CDDRE. In our exit interviews with each of the 13 school principals, the following questions were asked and the responses have been compiled. Some direct quotes were added as well.

What changes have you seen in the district since you began the CDDRE process?
8 – More of a focus on data
2 – More of a focus on student engagement
2 – Nothing
1 – The use of Walk-Throughs

Have the changes been due to top-down decisions or because of school-level decision-making?
5 – Top-down
3 – School-level
4 – Both

What do you think the district is currently doing well? Why?
2 – Realizing the needs of the district
2 – Curriculum Mapping
2 – Superintendent making changes
1 – Making sure that teachers are licensed in their appropriate field
1 – Focus on instruction
1 – Instituting Literacy Coaches
1 – Parental Input
1 – Focusing on the Whole Child
** It was difficult for some of the interviewees to answer this question.

What areas of improvement do you see for the district? Why?
6 – Communication
“We don’t meet with the Curriculum Director, Assistant Superintendent, or the Superintendent anymore. It’s been about two years.”
“Too many people are giving too many directives and they’re not communicating with each other. It makes it difficult for us (principals).”
3 – Collecting formative data
1 – Consolidate strategic plan
1 – Utilize resources
1 – ELA program
1 – Cultural Proficiency

What types of formative data do schools currently use? How is it used? (More than one response per person is shown)
5 – NWEA
5 – ISTEP
4 – Running Records
2 – Wilson
2 – Quarterly Writing Assessments
2 – Teacher-made Assessments
2 – Harcourt Unit Tests
2 – Fundations Unit Tests
1 – Everyday Math Assessments (quarterly)
1 – Making Meaning Assessments
1 – AIMS Web Assessment
1 – Acuity Assessment (quarterly)
1 – Core 40
1 – Report Cards (quarterly)
1 – RDS

In what format are the data contained?
10 – No response (conversation was focused on the type of assessment i.e., NWEA, ISTEP)
1 – Graphs
1 – Computer generated reports
1 – Formatted by skills

Are the data user-friendly for all teachers? Administrators?
8 – Not user-friendly
5 – User-friendly

In what way does your school collaborate since CDDRE entered into a partnership with you (based upon conversation, not all responded to this question)?
4 – Weekly
2 – By grade level
1 – Monthly
1 – Twice per week

How has your work with CDDRE changed the way you evaluate student progress?
7 – Drill down to the student level with data
4 – Look at student engagement
1 – Dialogue with teachers
1 – Look at rigor

What was the most beneficial aspect of the CDDRE process?
6 – Look deeper at the child level with data
6 – Look at student engagement
3 – Look at rigor
1 – Complete walk-throughs

Will you use the Continuous Improvement Process on a quarterly basis with your leadership teams?
9 – Yes
3 – No
1 - Maybe

Why or why not?
“I think we’re getting the message from all sources (NWEA and ISTEP). It just is a greater awareness of looking at it and we’re besieged by it and judged by it.”
“We’ll probably begin to use the RTI model more so than the CIP. We’re using data to support some of our decisions.”
“…I believe that Mike has a vision for this corporation and his vision includes all the pieces.”

How are you using data now compared to when you began the CDDRE process?
“We use it very purposefully….”
“We always use data but now there is a shift from school-wide to classroom data.”
“Nothing has changed much….I wish I could go into classrooms and do engagement walk-throughs.”
“…We used K-W-L’s already. We had an edge…..”
“I’m using it!”
“I’m looking at data differently-using it to form subgroups and enrichment-supplemental groups.”
“We’re getting the message from all sources….we’re judged by data. Accountability is data.”

Are you continuing to use Walk-Throughs?
11 – Yes
2 – No

What is measured? (more than one response per person)
5 – Rigor
5 – Student engagement
4 – Instructional strategies
2 – Best practices
1 – Standards

Our wish is that the results of the exit interviews will be used positively to support administrators, and gain a sense of consistency and cohesiveness in the MCAS community at large.

To conclude, we truly hope that the CDDRE work completed at Michigan City Area Schools was productive for the benefit of the entire district. It must be noted that the work that was completed should have taken only three to six months so that intervention selections could take place and be implemented but hopefully, all of those involved with the Continuous Improvement Process have learned from it and will continue to use it in order to effect change within the schools. We will truly miss working with your team of administrators and wish you much success in increasing student achievement.

Should you decide that you would like to move forward with the Continuous Improvement Process following the CDDRE study, please contact Lynsey Seabrook at lseabrook@successforall.org or 410-616-2331 and she can assist you in the purchase of “Raising the Bar” services.

Yours in Education,

Deborah Lee Cox, M.Ed.

Jacqueline J. Edmond Deborah Lee Cox, M. Ed.
CDDRE Consultant CDDRE Consultant

cc: Dr. Carla Iacona, Assistant Superintendent Toni Mitchell, Principal
Dr. Janice Radford, Curriculum Director Martha Birkholz, Principal
Dr. Peggy Scope, Principal Walt Zmuda, Principal
Carolyn Manuel, Principal Mark Francesconi, Principal
Gloria Dombkowski, Principal Connie Bachmann, Principal
Kelly Fargo, Principal Marsha Tappan, Principal
Karen Williams, Principal Sally Roberts, Principal
Lisa Suter, Principal
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 8 2009, 10:27 AM
Post #16

TOMORROW!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40963.19

Input sought on MCAS chief search

MICHIGAN CITY - Members of the Michigan City Area Schools' Superintendent Search Committee will hold a public forum from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 9, at the Elston Middle School auditorium.

The purpose is so the public can provide input to the search committee regarding qualities they believe a new MCAS superintendent should possess.

Comments and suggestions also can be submitted at www.mcas.k12.in.us (click on the icon for "Superintendent Search").

Prior to the meeting, a forum so MCAS employees can give input is from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2009, 09:18 AM
Post #17

I don't know what the story today looks like on the meeting, but it ended up being a pretty big non-event from the sounds of it. The meeting was over by 7:45, when it was scheduled to go until 9. Not too many people showed up, and I am not sure if that was apathy or the weather. I did get a couple of comments from members of the committee who said they are receiving resumes, and that they expect to have at least 30 applicants for the position. They all felt the meeting last night was very productive.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=27556

Comments from MCAS employees and community members at the forums
• "How about we don't issue their first paycheck until they move within the district? That would provide them some real incentive." - Dennis Metheny, Coolspring Township trustee.

• "We need someone who demands excellence. We tend to accept mediocrity as a community; we need someone who raises the bar." Maggi Spartz, Unity Foundation of La Porte County president.

• "Make sure the next superintendent is committed to open, public and timely discussion of issues." John Avila, dentist.

• "It's a lot like football or basketball - you can change the coach, but that's not always the problem. You need someone who will take the criticism they're given and work with it, but also someone who will stand up for what they are working toward." Al Whitlow, of the Boys & Girls Club of Michigan City executive director and former MCAS acting superintendent.

• "We need someone who will talk to the teachers and other people who work in the system. Ask, 'What do you think we need to do? What solutions do you have?' Sometimes working from the bottom up will yield better results than the top down." John Easton, special education teacher at Michigan City High School.

• "We need an instructional leader, someone who knows the curriculum, what should be taught and how to teach it." Phyllis Stark, Michigan City Education Association president and Michigan City High School teacher.

• "They need to be compassionate and understanding of what Michigan City needs, of our culture." Stan Mason, Barker Middle School attendance officer.

• "We need someone who will educate the whole child. Students come from circumstances beyond our control, and with that comes attendance issues and mental and behavioral problems that all need to be dealt with in the classroom." Sarah Fine, MCAS Student Support Services coordinator.
Common ground exists on the ideal MCAS chief
Committee, community sound off at two forums

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - In most respects, the search committee for a new Michigan City Area Schools superintendent sees eye-to-eye with school employees and the public on what qualities the new leader should have, especially that he/she be more involved in the community - and live here.

"If they have school-age children, they should go to our schools," said committee member Paul Applegate, president of Michigan City accounting firm Applegate & Co. "If we're good enough to issue their paycheck, we're good enough for that commitment."

Former superintendent Michael Harding, 58, never moved to Michigan City in his five years in the position, remaining in Granger. His children were of college age when he worked here.

At two separate forums Wednesday night at Elston Middle School's auditorium, several MCAS employees and community members could sound off on what the search committee should consider. While having a superintendent who lives in Michigan City may be important, the district may need the leadership of someone who comes from outside the community, said Rex Morrow, dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Purdue University-North Central.

"I've worked with school districts in several different states, and from some of the results I've seen I don't think educational leaders have to be homegrown," he said at the forum. "Sometimes, a stimulus from someone outside the community is needed to spur things in the right direction."

Some other important qualities identified by the crowd and committee were:

• Experience with and openness to racial and social diversity.

• A proven track record in dealing with similar problems faced by MCAS, including poor attendance and standardized test scores.

• Honest and open communication with all employees and the community.

• Innovative thinking and leadership.

• Experience with labor negotiations and working with school unions.

• Commitment to consistent, effective student discipline.

• Willing to implement non-traditional ways for students to earn diplomas, like alternative school or credit-recovery programs.

• Able to understand the district's strategic plan and move forward with it.

"Like you all, I came in with a list of things I would like to look for, and many of the things said here were on my mind, but I'll come away with a few more ideas," said committee member Jim Dworkin, Purdue University-North Central chancellor.

The School Board has told the search committee it would like the new superintendent to start work June 1, 2010, Dworkin said, and a rough timeline of the search has been built with that in mind. The screening of all applications will begin on or before Feb. 1, with interviews to start soon after. The selection of three to five finalists should be completed by the School Board by May 1, he said.

"It's ambitious, I know, but it's an important undertaking, one that needs to be done for the future of our schools," Dworkin said.

Public forums with the finalists likely will be held, but Dworkin said it is the School Board's decision on how much information will be released about the search.

"There is a degree of confidentiality that needs to be held because most of these people already have jobs," said committee chairman Jaye Fuller, business manager for IBEW Local 531. "But I feel it's important to keep the community and employees informed. In all likelihood, the names of the finalists will be made public. The notion of having a session with each person might be a good way to involve everyone."

The search likely will be contained regionally, Dworkin said. The committee has just started advertising the superintendent position on education Web sites and in other places in Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio, he said.

"I think we will also do some of our own recruiting. We all know assistant superintendents in other districts and other people who are interested," Dworkin said.

They expect about 30 superintendent applications to come in during the next two months, said. Five came in even before the position was advertised, he said.

Fewer than 25 people attended each forum, but people who did not want to comment publicly can submit their comments until at least February to the search committee online at www.mcas.k12.in.us (click on the icon for "Superintendent Search").

"The only people who will get to see those comments are the three of us up here," Fuller said at the forum.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Dec 10 2009, 11:30 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

I especially like the first point about "don't issue their first paycheck until they move within the district". Let's keep the carpet baggers out of the school system.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 10 2009, 11:33 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Dec 10 2009, 11:30 AM) *

I especially like the first point about "don't issue their first paycheck until they move within the district". Let's keep the carpet baggers out of the school system.

If I remember a discussion I had with someone who had some knowledge of the situation correctly, there are exactly two people in Michigan City who could be our Superintendent, and one of them is the acting one now.

The licensing is not easy, and it is not something that very many people at all actually achieve. If the next leader of the MCAS is not Carla Iacona, it will be someone from outside of MC.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:32 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com