Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...5a847418684.txt

Marina resident offended by profanity at loud concert

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Slip holders at the Washington Park marina were treated to live music Friday night, but it wasn’t the kind of music that at least one resident wanted to hear.

“That was disgusting language used by the band that night,” said Tim Hill of Portage, who lives on a boat in the Michigan City marina every summer.

The band was playing in the shelter adjacent to the marina parking lot around 8 p.m.

“The music was very, very loud,” Hill added. “A normal conversation was not possible inside the marina. The sound from the band was not only uncomfortably loud, but they were using language I felt was inappropriate.”

Hill said it seemed as though every other word out of the singer’s mouth was profanity.

The event was not organized by the city, but by an outside group that plans a yearly concert that usually coincides with the end of the school year.

Although the name of the band and the singer has not been released, Port Authority Harbormaster Tim Frame said he was told by the Parks Department that the group would not be invited back.

“They will not allow the band to come in here again,” Frame said.

As far as any changes to park policy when an outside band comes to play, Frame said the parks will “see if the bands that do come in here can re-position their speakers so the music does not come in as loud as it did ... We do not see the problem repeating itself in the future.”

Still, Hill and others who live on the marina during the summer believe the incident should not have occurred at all. He contends the issue of loud music has not been dealt with adequately during the time he has resided in the marina.

“The parks have been aware of noise issues for a few years now, but they refuse to turn the speakers down,” Hill said. “If they are going to have a music festival, that’s fine, but I do not want to hear it on my boat.”

He also said he felt “no one in the city had a sympathetic ear to my concern,” after voicing his complaint to the Parks Department, the mayor’s office and the Michigan City Police Department.

Attempts to contact Michigan City Parks Department Superintendent Jan Orlich Monday were unsuccessful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 23 2011, 11:26 AM
Post #2

They are going to kill the event because of one of the bands acted up? That is a terrible idea. Why punish the people who go to these shows because of one band? Don't invite that band back and move on.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...6d334952294.txt

Profanity may end the 'end of year' concert

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — The "end of the school year" concert at Washington Park is in jeopardy after a band used foul language during the annual event Friday night.

Michigan City Park Department Superintendent Jan Orlich said the city-sponsored event that takes place each summer following the end of the school year on parks department property had never been an issue in the past, but Friday night's display of extremely loud music and profanity may have been the end of the early-summer tradition.

"It was an unfortunate incident," she said. "We have never had a problem with this concert series in the past, but based on Friday night, we are unsure the event will happen again."

Eight bands were invited to the park Friday night to participate in the concert. According to Orlich, only two had "inappropriate content."

The organizer of the yearly event approached the band in question, requesting they leave after the band performed a song laced with profanity, but Orlich said "the guys did not listen and continued."

"I informed the organizer of the concert that the groups that caused the problems will no longer be invited to perform in Washington Park," Orlich said.

Whereas the Parks Department does not provide speakers for any group performing on stage, Orlich speculated the excessive noise could have come from one of the speakers the bands brought in themselves.

"We do not know which way they had their speakers facing, but depending on the wind direction, sound could certainly carry all the way to the marina," she said, noting that the only speakers the parks department has set up in the parking lot "are for public address purposes and are currently not hooked up."
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 24 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

Ok. I'm with Mike on this. The complainer was in a boat... so why couldn't he just move his boat? It's his choice to live on his boat at the marina, last I knew that place wasn't designated as residential, and he had the option to move. Yet he chose to stay and now complain....

Pity.

And the worst part is, this guy probably isn't even from Michigan City, but the people attending the party were. wacko.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 24 2011, 09:47 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 24 2011, 09:37 AM) *

Ok. I'm with Mike on this. The complainer was in a boat... so why couldn't he just move his boat? It's his choice to live on his boat at the marina, last I knew that place wasn't designated as residential, and he had the option to move. Yet he chose to stay and now complain....

Pity.

And the worst part is, this guy probably isn't even from Michigan City, but the people attending the party were. wacko.gif

He's not. He apparently is from Portage.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jun 24 2011, 03:22 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

Oh, my goodness ... Someone swore at a ROCK concert? I can't even imagine such a thing.

Good lord. As a society, we can be awfully high-strung. I think others around the world must laugh at us.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 6 2011, 07:21 AM
Post #6

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...e7747194142.txt

Cops, planner shed light on bash trouble

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Michigan City resident Adam Lingenfelter has organized Rockaway Beach, the end-of-the-school-year music festival in Washington Park, since 2009. The beach bash has been a tradition teens now eagerly anticipate.

“The purpose of Rockaway is to bring together local bands that do not get the opportunity to perform because there are not many opportunities in Northwest Indiana for bands that aren’t metal,” Lingenfelter said. “I created it to give an opportunity to local pop-punk, alternative or acoustic performers.”

After having little trouble the first two years, this year’s event came under fire June 17 after a disruptive performance by one of the bands – later confirmed as Remember the Passion, a Michigan City-based group – forced police to shut it down earlier than expected. The performance resulted in complaints from at least one Washington Park Marina resident that music near the show’s end was excessively loud, and that one band used a significant amount of profanity.

According to Michigan City Police Chief of Operations Tim Richardson, there was an officer in the area for most of the event, but more were called in at 9:45 p.m. because of the vulgarity and “violent” nature of the music.

At 10 p.m., Richardson made the decision to shut down the event.

“It was based on the content, as well as the loudness of the music,” Richardson said. “The sound could be heard five or six blocks into the city.”

While Richardson said a few attendees gave the cops “a hard time,” nobody was cited.

“We handled it the best way we could,” he said. “The band cooperated with us, and we let them know that the cursing was the primary reason they were shut down.”

Lingenfelter says that commotion was the event’s first problem in his three years as organizer.

“There were never any problems with Remember the Passion, or anyone else,” he said. “I had a good track record with the show.”

Lingenfelter noted one band on the schedule, The Horrids, drove to town from Chicago, just to arrive right as the event was being shut down.

A few days after the concert, Parks Department Superintendent Jan Orlich said the situation that night may prevent the event from occurring again on Michigan City parks property.

But Lingenfelter says that would be unfair.

“Northwest Indiana is a very genre-specific scene, and this show promotes the bands that do not have those opportunities to show their talents,” he said. “The show treats the public to some good music outside of what you hear from the ‘normal’ festivals. A lot of people in this city have talents, and this gives them a chance to showcase them.”

If Rockaway Beach is allowed another chance at the end of the 2011-2012 school year, there will be changes.

“The speaker volumes would go down, and I will definitely be more strict with the bands, making sure they cut back on vulgarity or at least replace some words with other words,” Lingenfelter said, adding he would appear before the Park Board within the next month to present his case in hopes it allows him to continue organizing the city sponsored yearly event.

The lead singer of Remember the Passion was contacted about the story, but declined comment.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:06 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com