IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lady Wolves Tennis team going for 15th Sectional title, Go Lady Wolves!!!
taxthedeer
post May 16 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

Best wishes to coach Norm Bruemmer and the Michigan City Wolves Girls Tennis team as the go for another sectional title at La Porte this Wednesday. Amazingly, the Lady Wolves have won their sectional in girls tennis every year since consolidation with the exception of 2000 campaign.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 16 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I am pretty sure Brem retired last year.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 17 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Drew White's feature article in the paper yesterday said that he is still the girls tennis coach.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 17 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...62220544387.txt

Anything but the norm

Published: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:03 PM CDT
Since Michigan City High School opened during the 1995-96 school year, one program has been more consistent and more dominant than any other Wolves program.

This Wednesday, the City girls tennis team will take to the courts in La Porte in hopes of winning its 15th sectional title in 16 tries. The only year the Wolves didn’t win a sectional was in 2000 when La Porte took home the title.

The 14 sectional title trophies are twice the amount of the school’s next highest total which belongs to the volleyball program with seven. Two programs — boys tennis and girls cross country — have six.

Doing the math, 20 of the Wolves’ titles have come on the tennis courts and in charge of those programs for every single championship has been Norm Bruemmer.

Tennis doesn’t garner the same attention as football, basketball, or baseball, but Bruemmer’s teams have been defending Michigan City High School’s honor for the past 16 years.

Last season, the girls won Michigan City’s only sectional title in any team sport. Had they not won, it would’ve marked the first time in 16 years that no Wolves team won a sectional crown.

With Wolves programs coming up empty in the fall and winter seasons, it may again be up to Bruemmer’s team to bring home the hardware.

After claiming a share of the Duneland Conference title with a win over Chesterton on Thursday, the Wolves are obviously well-prepared to defend their sectional title for the tenth straight year.

I will admit to being surprised when I received an e-mail from Bruemmer Thursday night and seeing that the Wolves had defeated the Trojans to create a three-way tie atop the DAC standings. City’s only DAC loss heading into that match was to Valparaiso, a team that had been beaten by the Trojans.

The thing that surprised me most was the fact that after I watched the Wolves drop a 4-1 decision to the Vikings in Michigan City, I saw a mix of anger and sadness unlike any other I have ever seen from a Wolves team in any sport.

Having been undefeated as a team heading into the match against the Vikings, the City girls lost with grace but you could tell it didn’t sit easy with them. There were short tempers and there were tears.

I wondered how they would rebound against Chesterton, the defending DAC champions. After an emotional loss it can sometimes be difficult to get up and dust yourself off. Yet, they did just that and have a share of the DAC title to show for it.

While it was Brooke Foltz, Lena Carlson, Alantè Wright, and the doubles teams of Lauren Palmer and Ashleigh Ellenwood at No. 1 doubles and Laura Holloway and Ali Langowski at No. 2 doubles that took care of business on the courts, I have no doubt that Bruemmer’s handling of the team played a large part in soothing the nerves and channeling the anger of the loss to Valpo in the right direction.

He has obviously had the benefit of some great players over the years, but it takes someone special to make sure there are no slip ups. He regularly lets his girls know that nothing is to be taken for granted.

Having retired from teaching last June, Bruemmer stayed on to coach the girls this spring. It probably won’t be long before he relinquishes control of the tennis team.

He cares about his girls and you can tell the girls care about him. Talking to Foltz after last season, the Wolves’ No. 1 singles player likened the City program to a sorority - once a sister, always a sister.

With such a successful track record, Bruemmer has been doing something right that other programs at the school need to start emulating. His teams have been proof that stability and success is possible at Michigan City High School.

q

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.

+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 19 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Lady Wolves defeated New Prairie in their sectional final match and will face La Porte in the championship this at 4:30 PM this evening.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 20 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #6

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...b38bff0e9b.html

LaPorte Sectional: On the strength of straight-set wins in doubles, No. 3 Michigan City edged No. 6 LaPorte 3-2 for the Wolves' 11th straight crown. Brooke Foltz won 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles for Michigan City (13-2).
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 23 2011, 07:54 AM
Post #7

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...45240539444.txt

Another title

Wolves beat Slicers to claim 15th sectional crown in 16 seasons
By Zack Eldridge
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, May 20, 2011 4:57 PM CDT
LA PORTE — In the last 16 years, Michigan City’s girls tennis team has now hoisted the sectional trophy a remarkable 15 times.

The Wolves ensured that feat by winning the La Porte Sectional on Thursday.

Michigan City claimed the first three matches and beat its county nemesis Slicers 3-2 at the LeRoy Courts. The Wolves have now won all but one sectional crown since the consolidation in the 1995-96 school year.

When asked if winning another sectional gets old, Laura Holloway of the Wolves (14-2) quickly responded.

Click here to find out more!
“No, it gets better each time we win,” Holloway said. “It’s gratifying and we deserve it. No other team from Michigan City has done it.”

Only once since 1996 has the Wolves’ girls tennis team not won the sectional and it has now captured 11 straight. The only year City didn’t win a sectional was in 2000 when La Porte claimed the championship.

Wolves’ coach Norm Bruemmer has been at the helm for every one of them.

“It never gets old and it never gets easier,” Bruemmer said. “La Porte matched up pretty well against us. We knew we had to win the two doubles slots, and we knew we had to get the No. 1 singles position. The rest of the spots, La Porte proved they had the strength there.”

City will next face the Chesterton/Valparaiso winner in the Portage Regional on Tuesday at 4 p.m.

For the Slicers, it’s the end of the road.

“We, on some courts, played and competed very well,” La Porte coach Melissa Pfeifer said. “In doubles, we knew they were going to be strong, and they brought a lot of energy and fighting out there. They were kind of like a little step ahead of us on both courts out there.”

At No. 1 doubles, the Wolves’ Ashleigh Ellenwood and Lauren Palmer rolled 6-1, 6-0 over Kristen Sanders and Taylor Crider of the Slicers (9-6) for the team’s first point.

City’s Brooke Foltz was victorious 6-1, 6-1 at No. 1 singles over Hillary Frye.

“Brooke’s our rock,” Bruemmer said. “She has improved so much since last year and she showed it here on this stage tonight in the finals of the sectional.

“She knew she had to go to her net game, and the net game is what won it for her.”

The Wolves sealed the win as the No. 2 doubles duo of Holloway and Ali Langowski beat Morgan Sandelski and Kayla Wurster 6-2, 6-1.

“Being consistent and playing well at the net,” Langowski said of how the team was successful. “Keeping each other pumped up and ready to go.”

Holloway added it was understandably gratifying to have the match-clinching point.

“I was nervous,” Holloway said. “I looked down the courts, and I was like, ‘Oh my gosh, oh, Ali, we’re the point here.’ But once we won, I was like, ‘We won the sectional.’ It was the most amazing feeling.”

La Porte’s two victories came after the match was already decided.

The Slicers’ Alison Searle prevailed 6-2, 3-6, 10-5 over Lena Carlson at No. 2 singles. The third set was played as a super tiebreaker since the overall match was already decided

“I know she’s got to feel good because she beat Lena earlier this season in a close match,” Pfeifer said. “And then to beat her again, now two times in the season. I know she’s going to feel good about that.”

La Porte’s Hannah Barden downed Haley Peckat 6-4, 6-3 at No. 3 singles.

While the Slicers’ season is over, City moves on to another regional after capturing yet another sectional title.

“But who’s keeping track?” Bruemmer asked.

“We’re proud of that, the accomplishment. But each group of girls is different and the obstacles are different.”

Individually, Marquette’s Katie Clancy (12-2, 1-0) advances to Tuesday’s Portage Regional. Clancy beat La Porte’s Hillary Frye 6-1, 6-2 on Wednesday.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 25 2011, 08:48 AM
Post #8

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...755885eaba.html

PORTAGE | Valparaiso junior Sonja Schaefer was definitely happy to be playing doubles tennis Tuesday.

"My nerves were going wild," Schaefer said. "It was great that I was playing doubles, because Amanda (Stolarz) was there to pick me up."

Schaefer and Stolarz rallied from a set down and 2-5 in the final set to pull out a thrilling 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 win at No. 2 doubles, helping the Vikings edge Michigan City 3-2 and advance to today's Portage Regional championship.

The Vikings (14-4) will face Hobart (10-9) at 4:30 p.m. for the crown.

Valparaiso's comeback at No. 2 doubles capped off a furious rally from the Vikings, who won the final three matches to pull out the victory.

"I'm still really feeling it," said Schaefer of the clinching victory. "I was still nervous at 3-5 (in the third set), but we gained confidence when we tied it at 5-5.

"Even in we lost a game, I knew we wouldn't lose two. Seeing the exhilaration of my teammates also helped pull us together."

The Wolves (14-3), which lost 4-1 to Valpo on May 5, took command early with straight-set victories at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles. The 6-2, 6-0 win by Lauren Palmer and Ashleigh Ellenwood reversed an earlier 6-4, 6-3 loss to the Vikings.

"We felt like we let some matches slip away before," Michigan City coach Norm Bruemmer said. "The No. 2 doubles match was one of momentum. We got it back (in the third set), but Valpo took it away from us."

Caitlin Kennedy (No. 2 singles) and Katie McDonald (No. 3) each won in straight sets to set up the clinching match at No. 2 doubles.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 1 2011, 07:05 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

I really like that admission price!!!

Regionals
Date: Saturday, June 4, 2011.
Times: Morning session at 10 am; Afternoon session at 2 pm.
Admission: Free.
Note: For each individual listed below, the first record is for regular season, the second is for state tournament

2. LaPorte
Match 1: Ashleigh Ellenwood (11) | Lauren Palmer (12) Michigan City (16-3, 4-0) vs. Bridget Hickey (12) | Sara Lindquist (11) South Bend Clay (5-8, 1-0).
Match 2: Guadalupe Cornejo (12) | Megan Kazmierski (12) Whiting (9-5, 2-0) vs. Paige Lundquist (11) | Rachel Van Gessel (11) Central Noble (14-0, 1-0).
Championship: Winner of Match 1 vs. Winner of Match 2.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 3 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #10

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/574193...one-wolves.html

Ashleigh Ellenwood will shed a tear at the Michigan City High School graduation ceremony.

It’s going to be one of those bittersweet moments for Ellenwood, a junior. Her tennis partner and good friend, Lauren Palmer, will cap her high school career that day. After three years of playing doubles together, the two will go their own ways.

Palmer will focus on her studies at Butler University, while Ellenwood will look ahead to her final year of high school and tend to business on the soccer field, where she earned a scholarship to play at the University of Arkansas.

But before Ellenwood and Palmer move on, they’ve got some business to take care of.

Ellenwood and Palmer, the Wolves’ No. 1 doubles team, play the team from South Bend Clay on Saturday in the semifinals of the LaPorte individual regional.

Whiting’s Guadalupe Cornejo and Megan Kazmierski meet Central Noble in the other semifinal.

“It’s so exciting that this is all finally happening,” Palmer said.

Ellenwood and Palmer have teamed up for 49 victories in their three years of playing together at doubles. They take a 16-3 record into Saturday’s individual regional.

“They’re a really strong tennis team,” Michigan City coach Norm Bruemmer said. “Ashleigh is very athletic, and Lauren complements her very well. They’re a very aggressive team, which in doubles is one thing you need to have and one thing that’s really hard to teach. That has helped them.”

What also has helped them is their friendship. The two didn’t know each other when they were paired three years ago. They’ve since become close friends.

“I couldn’t ask for a better partner,” Palmer said. “We really push each other. On the court, we’re like sisters. By that, I mean we’re really open with each other. If one is playing poorly, we’ll let that person know. That’s made us stronger.

“If I didn’t have Ashleigh, I’d rather be playing singles.”

Ellenwood, a standout on the soccer field, said she plays tennis for fun, calling soccer a more physical sport while tennis is more mental. But without Palmer, Ellenwood doubts she would be playing tennis at all.

“The reason I play tennis is because of Lauren,” Ellenwood said. “Lauren is definitely the more stable person. I’m the crazy one. She’s the one who keeps me level-headed. If I played singles, the frustration would take over. But with Lauren there, it’s totally different.”

If Ellenwood and Palmer are fortunate enough to advance to the individual state finals in Indianapolis on June 10 and 11, they’ll turn around and say good-bye on June 12 at the Michigan City High School graduation. It’ll be a strange twist of emotions.

“I’m going to go to graduation,” Ellenwood said, “and I’m probably going to cry, because I’ll never get to play tennis with her again.”
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 3 2011, 12:15 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Looking at the records of the four teams involved, should both these teams advance to the regional championship the match between Michigan City and Central Noble should be of Wimbledon caliber.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 4 2011, 01:58 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Michigan City's Ashleigh Ellenwood & Lauren Palmer def. Central Noble's Paige Lundquist & Rachel Van Gessel in straight sets to win the La Porte Individual Doubles Girls Tennis Regional and advance to the state finals tournament. GO ASHLEIGH AND LAUREN WIN STATE!!!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 5 2011, 09:12 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

I sent an e-mail to Nick Nochevich and informed him that we are Michigan City, Indiana not Michigan.

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/577743...-regionals.html

Girls tennis: Michigan doubles team cruises to victory at regionals
By Nick Nochevich Post-Tribune correspondent Jun 5, 2011 02:03AM
--ShareReprintsE-MailPrintLAPORTE — Michigan City’s doubles team of Ashleigh Ellenwood and Lauren Palmer came out focused and determined to play and it showed at the Individual Tennis Regional at LaPorte as the duo dominated both in the semifinal and final rounds to secure their spot in next week’s state finals.

Ellenwood and Palmer came out strong and never looked back in the first match of the day against the doubles team from South Bend Clay taking it in straight sets 6-0, 6-0.

The duo kept things going in the final round against undefeated Central Noble (defeated Whiting 7-5, 6-3) in the same fashion, taking it in straight sets 6-0, 6-0.

Ellenwood and Palmer played extremely well together as they have throughout the season but took their game to another level at the regional.

“We came in here confident and with the heat, wanted to score early and often in hopes of wrapping our matches up faster, and we were able to do that today,” Ellenwood said.

“We played very well today were able to make good shots and our confidence grew with every shot,” Palmer said. “We hope to take that confidence into next weekend as well.”

Ellenwood and Palmer (18-3) received high praise from their coach on the way they played at the regional.

“As a coach you can only hope that your players are playing to the best of their ability at this time of the season and anyone that watched both of Ellenwood and Palmer’s matches could see that they are playing extremely well,” Michigan City coach Norm Bruemmer said.

In the singles, Penn junior Alexandra Brinker remained undefeated at 22-0 but it did not come easy for her. She was forced into a grueling match against Chesterton’s Bobbi Modesto in the semi-final that took three sets to decide.

The heat took its toll on both players but Brinker held on to move on against Kankakee Valley’s Abbey Hamstra who advanced with a win over Westview’s Tabitha Lehman 6-1, 6-2.

Hamstra seemed to have the edge as her earlier match ended well before the marathon match by Brinker and Modesto giving her more time to rest. Hamstra came out the aggressor taking an early 5-2 lead in the first set, but Brinker came back strong to tie the set at 6-6 to force a tiebreaker.

Brinker took the tiebreaker 7-4 and that seemed to give her the momentum she needed for the rest of the match. A 6-3 second set gave her the victory over a tough opponent in Hamstra.

Brinker, Ellenwood and Palmer move on to the state finals on Friday and Saturday at North Central High School in Indianapolis.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 5 2011, 10:17 AM
Post #14

Wow, that would absolute domination.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 6 2011, 07:27 AM
Post #15

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...773b3ff312.html

Home / Sports / NWI Preps / Girls Tennis

Schools
Statistics
Staff Photo Galleries
Super Fan Photos
Buy Photos

GIRLS TENNIS | LAPORTE REGIONAL
Michigan City No. 1 doubles team advances to Indy with a pair of 6-0, 6-0 wins

By Bob Moulesong Times Correspondent | Posted: Saturday, June 4, 2011 5:15 pm | No Comments Posted

LAPORTE | Three years is a long, long time to wait.

But for the Michigan City No. 1 doubles team of Ashleigh Ellenwood and Lauren Palmer, the wait was well worth it. The duo advanced to the individual state finals next weekend with a pair of dominating 6-0, 6-0 wins over South Bend Clay in the semifinals and Central Noble in the finals.

Joining the Wolves in Indy will be the No. 1 doubles team from Highland, Liz Quinn and Aby Madrigal. They advanced at the team semifinals tournament with a 7-6 (8-6), 6-2 win over South Bend St. Joseph.

"We've been playing together as a team for three years now, waiting and working for this opportunity," Palmer, a senior, said. "A lot of hard work and practice went into today, and we finally got what we have been chasing."

Ellenwood, a junior, was pumped at the thought of the Wolves (18-3) representing the Duneland Athletic Conference in Indy.

"There's a lot of pride for us in representing our team as well as our conference," Ellenwood said. "The DAC is a really good conference, and for us to be able to go downstate shows how tough we play up here. This is really exciting."

The two doubles teams will be the only region representation next week at the individual state finals.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 7 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

This looks like it should be a fantasic tournament.

Indianapolis North Central High School

Doubles

Quarterfinals, Friday, 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT
Match 1 | Ashleigh Ellenwood (11) | Lauren Palmer (12) Michigan City (16-3, 6-0) vs. Ashley Rogers (10) | Elizabeth Theil (10) Jasper (17-0, 7-0).
Match 2 | Abby Long (10) | Kimberly Marsh (10) Center Grove (10-9, 5-0) vs. Kiera Bonebrake (12) | Kelly Kyle (12) North Montgomery (20-2, 5-0).
Match 3 | Carlene Eckhart (11) | Megan Fry (12) Indianapolis Cathedral (14-1, 3-0) vs. Aby Madrigal (10) | Elizabeth Quinn (12) Highland (9-0, 5-0).

Semifinals, Saturday, 10 am ET / 9 am CT
Match 4 | Winner of Match 1 vs. Whitney Batliner (10) | Chelsea Shackleford (11) Floyd Central (19-3, 7-0).
Match 5 | Winner of Match 2 vs. Winner of Match 3.

Consolation, Saturday, 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT
Match 6 | Loser of Match 4 vs. Loser of Match 5.

State Championship, Saturday, 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT
Match 7 | Winner of Match 4 vs. Winner of Match 5.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 8 2011, 09:18 AM
Post #17

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...f7037376358.txt

Indianapolis bound

City pair dominates regional, Chesterton's Modesto falls in semis
By Drew White
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, June 7, 2011 12:04 AM CDT

LA PORTE — There are dominant performances, and then there is what Michigan City doubles team Lauren Palmer and Ashleigh Ellenwood did to their opponents at Saturday’s La Porte Individual Singles and Doubles Regional at the Leroy Courts at Kesling Park.

The Wolves duo won two matches by identical 6-0, 6-0 scores to win a berth in next weekend’s IHSAA State Finals at North Central High School in Indianapolis.

Palmer and Ellenwood defeated South Bend Clay’s Bridget Hickey and Sara Lindquist in the morning semifinals and then made quick work of previously undefeated Paige Lundquist and Rachel Van Gessel of Central Noble in the championship match.

Chesterton’s Bobbi Modesto was eliminated from the state singles tournament during Saturday’s semifinals, falling to Penn’s Alexandra Brinker 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Palmer and Ellenwood’s victories both came in brisk fashion as the pair wasted no time on a hot and humid day in La Porte. Heat indexes soared to the high 90s on Saturday.

“We definitely wanted to finish points fast so that we didn’t get exhausted,” Palmer said.

The pair improved to 18-3 for the season and 6-0 in the postseason with the win. Ellenwood and Palmer aggressively attacked the net and delivered unreturnable shot after unreturnable shot.

“It was all business,” Ellenwood said. “For anything, you have to go in with your confidence high. You can’t not have confidence.”

The trip to Indianapolis will be the first for the Wolves since Lindsey Applegate and Jayme McCormick advanced to the state doubles quarterfinals during the 2007-08 school year. City head coach Norm Bruemmer said that Palmer and Ellenwood have peaked at the right time.

“All you can ask for is that the kids are playing their best tennis at this time of year and Lauren and Ashleigh played their best tennis today,” Bruemmer said. “As the scores showed, they played very well together and they were aware of where their opponents were today. They made all of the shots today.”

Palmer and Ellenwood’s first match will take place Friday in Indianapolis.

In the singles semifinals, Trojan junior Modesto picked up a win in the first set and built an early lead in the second set of her match against Penn’s Brinker, but as the match progressed both players showed signs of fatigue from the heat and the undefeated Kingsman persevered.

“Playing outdoors is a little tougher,” Modesto said. “You’ve got the wind, you’ve got the sun, the heat. That stuff can play an impact and make or break a match.

“It’s heat for everyone, but it had a big impact.”

The loss finished Modesto’s season with a record of 16-4. Brinker went on to win the regional singles title with a straight set victory over Kankakee Valley’s Abbey Hamstra 7-6 (7-4), 6-3.

Modesto is no stranger to either Brinker or Hamstra as the three regularly play in USTA tournaments during the offseason.

“It’s not like we’re going out here and someone is significantly worse or significantly better,” Modesto said. “Abbey, Alexandra, and I are all very equal in level.

“When it comes to getting out here, it comes down to who has the better mental attitude and who handles the heat the best.”

After cruising to the individual sectional title with wins over Michigan City’s Brooke Foltz and Marquette’s Katie Clancy, Modesto felt she had left it all out on the court.

“It didn’t end how I wanted it to, but I did the best I could,” Modesto said. “You can’t really ask for any more than that. I played to the best of my ability.”

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 10 2011, 03:26 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Jasper's Ashley Rogers & Elizabeth Theil def. Michigan City's Ashleigh Ellenwood & Lauren Palmer in straight sets 7-5, 6-0. Nice run Ashleigh and Lauren

Doubles

Quarterfinals, Friday, 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT
Match 1 | Ashley Rogers (10) | Elizabeth Theil (10) Jasper (17-0, 8-0) def. Ashleigh Ellenwood (11) | Lauren Palmer (12) Michigan City (16-3, 6-1), 7-5, 6-0.
Match 2 | Kiera Bonebrake (12) | Kelly Kyle (12) North Montgomery (20-2, 6-0) def. Abby Long (10) | Kimberly Marsh (10) Center Grove (10-9, 5-1), 6-3, 6-4.
Match 3 | Aby Madrigal (10) | Elizabeth Quinn (12) Highland (9-0, 6-0) def. Carlene Eckhart (11) | Meghan Fry (12) Indianapolis Cathedral (14-1, 3-1), 6-3, 6-1.

Semifinals, Saturday, 10 am ET / 9 am CT
Match 4 | Ashley Rogers (10) | Elizabeth Theil (10) Jasper (17-0, 8-0) vs. Whitney Batliner (10) | Chelsea Shackelford (11) Floyd Central (19-3, 7-0).
Match 5 | Kiera Bonebrake (12) | Kelly Kyle (12) North Montgomery (20-2, 6-0) vs. Aby Madrigal (10) | Elizabeth Quinn (12) Highland (9-0, 6-0).

Consolation, Saturday, 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT
Match 6 | Loser of Match 4 vs. Loser of Match 5.

State Championship, Saturday, 2 pm ET / 1 pm CT
Match 7 | Winner of Match 4 vs. Winner of Match 5.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 13 2011, 09:33 AM
Post #19

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...ff418249095.txt

City tennis pair fall in finals

By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, June 10, 2011 11:11 PM CDT
INDIANAPOLIS —For most of the first set, Ashleigh Ellenwood and Lauren Palmer appeared primed to advance farther in the state tournament than any Michigan City tennis tandem that came before them.

But in the end, Jasper’s unbeaten sophomore duo of Ashley Rogers and Elizabeth Theil proved to be too strong, as City fell 7-5, 6-0 to end its season at 16-4 at the IHSAA Girls Individual State Tournament on Friday at North Central High School.

“In three years they won 52 matches together,” City coach Norm Bruemmer pointed out. “In three years, that’s as good as any team can expect to do.”

Early on, it actually appeared that Ellenwood and Palmer would be able to hand Rogers and Theil their first loss of the season. After falling down 2-1 to start the match, Ellenwood and Palmer won three of the next four games to take a 4-3 lead and were starting to get on a roll with their lob game.

Click here to find out more!
But from there, the Jasper squad was dominant. Rogers and Theil utilized their tremendous power and rushed the net frequently, winning 10 of the match’s final 11 games to advance.

“They just took over the net,” said Palmer, a senior who played in her final match for the Wolves.

Down 6-5 in the first set, Ellenwood was serving to try and force a tiebreaker. Like many games in the match, it went to deuce, but Jasper ended the first set on an Ellenwood double fault.

With the first-set victory in tow, all the momentum was on Jasper’s side on a hot, muggy day in Central Indiana.

“It’s hard to keep your momentum when you lose the first set and put so much into it,” Palmer said. “I thought they almost came out stronger in that second set.”

Ellenwood could sense she and her partner were in trouble after dropping the first set.

“Once we lost that first set, we got kinda down on ourselves,” she said. “When you lose 7-5, that’s a lot of games and a lot of energy taken away.”

Bruemmer said the mental factor could have played a part in the loss.

“Psychologically it can (have an effect) and it really boosts the other team up,” Bruemmer said of the first-set result. “Tennis is such a game of momentum.”

While Ellenwood is just a junior, Palmer was saddened that her high school career came to an end.

“It’s hard to lose,” she said, wiping away tears. “But we fought out there.”

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at aparkhouse@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 461.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:06 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com