> Babe Ruth autographed card stolen
lighter
post Dec 29 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 912

http://nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte/art...dbf70a0a76.html

Babe Ruth ball stolen Christmas Day
LaPorte: While valuable, owner says sentiment outweighs any price put on collectable

Story Discussion By Stan Maddux - Times Correspondent | Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:00 am | No Comments Posted

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size LAPORTE | A LaPorte man wept when he told police his baseball autographed by Babe Ruth had been stolen.

Benjamin Daugherty said not only did he recently turn down an offer of $2,000 for the ball, but the ball featuring the signature of the "Sultan of Swat" once belonged to a man he considered a father to him.

"It just meant a lot of me. It was more of a memory to me than just money," Daugherty said.

Daugherty, 25, said he was at a friend's house Christmas Day having dinner then returned to find several lights on inside his apartment in the 100 block of Lincolnway.

Curious to find out much the ball is worth, Daugherty said he approached a collectibles dealer, who quickly offered him $2,000.

Daugherty -- struggling between a need for money and sentimental value -- declined the offer.

Right now, Daugherty said he can't afford to offer a reward but hopes media coverage of the theft will help generate leads in the case.

"I want it back," Daugherty said.

LaPorte Police Assistant Chief Tom Heath said there were no leads in the case but the investigation is in the early stages.

He said any attempt to sell the ball is one way clues might be shed.

Heath said the odds are "pretty slim" in solving this type of case.

"But you can always get lucky," Heath said.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 03:24 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com