Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 31 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Evidently Simon Property Group completely ignored the pleas to restore the building. Having been in that building previous to the August storm damage there would have been a lot of work and money needed to be put into it, but I guess no one was interested in the piece of history that we have now lost to the wrecking ball. I have got to imagine the "Works" building isn't too far behind it. Sad.

http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=369641

VOP - Save the last Pullman building in Michigan City
Comment on this story

Members of the Preservationists of Michigan City were distressed to learn about the immediate plans to demolish two historic Pullman Standard Factory buildings at the site of the former railroad car manufacturing complex at Lighthouse Place Outlets. One of the buildings is in the process of being demolished and the other is slated for demolition.

We urgently appeal to Lighthouse Place and its parent company, Simon Property Group, to save the remaining historically significant building, The Works, located at 7th and Wabash.

The Works is the only remaining building of the Pullman Standard rail car manufacturing complex, which formed the backbone of Michigan City’s economy from the mid 19th to mid 20th centuries. Pullman Standard was the largest manufacturing company in Indiana, employing 3,500 workers and building more than 10,000 railroad cars annually. The Michigan City operation built freight cars that served as essential tools for our country’s industrial and economic development, and it also built the sleeper cars used by allied troops during World War II.

John Barker’s 1855 investment in a train car manufacturing company had everything to do with this city’s development. The Works building stands, for now, as the last remaining Pullman Standard company structure, and is worthy of our efforts to preserve it for continued historical, civic and business purposes.

We would implore anyone interested in saving an important part of Michigan City’s past to call Simon Property Group, Lighthouse Place Mall and our city leaders to encourage them to help put a stop to this demolition before it’s too late!

RICH RICHEY

President, Preservationists of Michigan City

User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 31 2007, 02:52 PM
Post #3

To be honest, I don't know what is sadder, the Simon Property Group tearing down the Pullman Standard Building, or that Michigan City is letting them do it. Sites like this one are irreplacable, once they are gone, they are gone forever. Now when we try to explain the history of Barker-Haskell, or Pullman Standard, we have to point at a mall to show our kids what was once there. How sad is that?
+Quote Post
TheAnchorage
post Jan 31 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 21

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jan 31 2007, 02:52 PM) *

To be honest, I don't know what is sadder, the Simon Property Group tearing down the Pullman Standard Building, or that Michigan City is letting them do it. Sites like this one are irreplacable, once they are gone, they are gone forever. Now when we try to explain the history of Barker-Haskell, or Pullman Standard, we have to point at a mall to show our kids what was once there. How sad is that?

In a way I agree - but much like out parents saving our toys, how many empty buildings do we have to keep around to show our kids something they probably don't care about anyway? Make no mistake - being born and raised in Michigan City I fully feel your pain, but time marches on - and the weak and/or no longer usable are rightfully cast aside to make way for progress.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 31 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 10

I kind of feel the same way as Anchorage. It's unfortunate that it has to be that way, though. Where I live, there is a lot of old buildings that have been renovated and are currently in use. People in the west like to preserve the "old west" and it's pretty cool. People in the east seem to be all about progress and moving forward, so an old building has no merit. I think each has its own good and bad qualities.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 1 2007, 07:31 AM
Post #6

I am probably biased, because I am a huge history buff. To me, without Pullman-Standard, the history of Michigan City is completely different. The blue-collar hard-working backround of MC is probably never realized, and we could have very well become just another nameless beachtown. Because of people like Barker-Haskell, we have a rich vibrant history, based in the manufacturing sector.

It also bothers me because this is symptomatic of a larger issue in MC, and really nationwide in the US, where history really doesn't mean that much to us. Specifically in town, how many institutions are gone, and never coming back? We'll never see a Miss Indiana happen here, we'll never see an Oktoberfest again, we'll never see the Pullman-Standard building again, we'll never buy a ticket in the 11th street South Shore train station, I'll never climb the Hoosier Slide, etc. At times it feels to me like because we don't value our own journey to the 21st century, that we forget where we came from, and undervalue our own current worth as a community. I think something as simple as pride in our rich history could go a long way towards restoring pride in our current community, and reviving a town on lifesupport.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 1 2007, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Feb 1 2007, 07:31 AM) *

I am probably biased, because I am a huge history buff. To me, without Pullman-Standard, the history of Michigan City is completely different. The blue-collar hard-working backround of MC is probably never realized, and we could have very well become just another nameless beachtown. Because of people like Barker-Haskell, we have a rich vibrant history, based in the manufacturing sector.

It also bothers me because this is symptomatic of a larger issue in MC, and really nationwide in the US, where history really doesn't mean that much to us. Specifically in town, how many institutions are gone, and never coming back? We'll never see a Miss Indiana happen here, we'll never see an Oktoberfest again, we'll never see the Pullman-Standard building again, we'll never buy a ticket in the 11th street South Shore train station, I'll never climb the Hoosier Slide, etc. At times it feels to me like because we don't value our own journey to the 21st century, that we forget where we came from, and undervalue our own current worth as a community. I think something as simple as pride in our rich history could go a long way towards restoring pride in our current community, and reviving a town on lifesupport.

Surely you can't mean the history is different - once events happen, history doesn't change. Without those buildings our history is no different. I grew up in Michigan City, and my concept of MC's history was never tied to a building. Should we mourn the loss of the woods on the south side of town that gave way to Marquette Mall? Regarding your list of things we won't do anymore - we also won't ride a cable car down the middle of Franklin St. or meet in the lobby of Spaulding Hotel or have out moms take us to Dr. Bob's office in the Warren Building. And, sure - the loss of any of those thisgs is not without a touch of sadness for the past - but time marches on. Michigan City's true history and legacy live on in its families as it's handed down from generation to generation, and not in some empty buildings that provide nothing for the present and stand in the way of progress in the future.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 2 2007, 07:21 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Tim @ Feb 1 2007, 07:07 PM) *

Surely you can't mean the history is different - once events happen, history doesn't change. Without those buildings our history is no different. I grew up in Michigan City, and my concept of MC's history was never tied to a building. Should we mourn the loss of the woods on the south side of town that gave way to Marquette Mall? Regarding your list of things we won't do anymore - we also won't ride a cable car down the middle of Franklin St. or meet in the lobby of Spaulding Hotel or have out moms take us to Dr. Bob's office in the Warren Building. And, sure - the loss of any of those thisgs is not without a touch of sadness for the past - but time marches on. Michigan City's true history and legacy live on in its families as it's handed down from generation to generation, and not in some empty buildings that provide nothing for the present and stand in the way of progress in the future.

The history isn't different, but the interpretation of history is different from generation to generation. Having tangible pieces of history is the truest way to understand people from prior eras. Now we have to rely on fading memories.

Plus its not as if Michigan City has made the most of their chances to progress into the future. How many sites are laying around desolate and deserted today? Maybe if we had a proven history of taking advantage of those opportunies, but think about what we have done with those kinds of chances. Hey the NIPSCO plant looks really stellar on the lakefront, and the grass at the old Memorial Hospital site comes in real nicely.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 2 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #9

I think Tim and Southsider both have good points on this issue. As I stated earlier, where I live, they thrive on preserving the "old west." The history of this place is still the same as when it was news, but being an outsider, I can really appreciate the history because I have tangible evidence of it. For instance, my favorite watering hole is called The World Famous Wonder Bar--where you can still ride your horse up to the bar and order a drink (yes! you really can). This place is the same on the inside as it was 100 years ago-more or less. Of course it's been modernized as far as electric and plumbing go, but the tables are the same, the bar is the same, the stools are the same. There are pictures all over the place from the last 100 years. The place is supposed to have a ghost. The upstairs was a brothel and one evening this woman was drunk and fell down the stairs and broke her neck. Now she haunts the place and they even have one of her dresses hanging on the wall. There is a still in the window display from when the Wonder Bar made their own wiskey. They would pour a shot straight off the still--or so I've been told. It's also the only non-smoking bar in town. They don't want cigarette smoke to destroy everything. My point is, this place has been well taken care of and well preserved, as most of the old buildings in the downtown area are. You can walk through the door and feel the history, so while the history hasn't changed, progress hasn't destroyed the tangible evidence of the history either.
I think that's the point Southsider is trying to make.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 2 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #10

Well said Ang. I was trying to say that you can only get so much from textbooks and grandpa. Experiencing history firsthand makes it much more real.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 2 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Feb 2 2007, 12:24 PM) *

Well said Ang. I was trying to say that you can only get so much from textbooks and grandpa. Experiencing history firsthand makes it much more real.

I think we just have a different opinion as to balance. I'm certainly not advocating just ripping down anything old and replacing it. I was born at St Agony - OOPS - St Anthony in 1954 and left MC in 1984 - so I'd love to come home and go to the original McDonald's on south Franklin - or Burger Chef on Michigan - or the Peristyle in Washington Park. I just don't think that empty buildings enable one to "experience history firsthand".
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #12

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../06/news/n5.txt

Review Board to make plea for saving building

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

Several members of Michigan City's Historic Review Board don't want to see The Works building at Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets torn down, and they plan to ask the City Council tonight to keep it standing.

“Once it's gone, it's gone,” said Paul Przybylinski, D-2nd Ward, and the council's Review Board liaison, on Monday. “I don't want to look back in hindsight and say, ‘Why didn't we do something?'”

City Council members will hear an initial request to expand one of the city's three historic districts to include the building, which is the only structure left of the Pullman Standard factory, once the city's largest employer.

Review Board members want to stop Lighthouse Place from tearing down the building, which formerly held a number of outlet stores and restaurants. It now houses just one restaurant and no stores. Demolition on a former administration building next to The Works was completed last week. That building was heavily damaged in last August's wind storm.

Werner Graf was one of three Review Board members to vote against going to the City Council to expand the historic district, along with Michigan City Planner John Pugh and board president Betsy Bigda.

Graf gave two reasons for his vote.

“This building has changed so many times through the years ... outside of someone really knowing the history, you can't tell anymore. It's completely different,” said Graf, who 15 years ago helped organize the districts. “And I don't believe we should put more of a burden on businesses.”

Lighthouse Place hasn't said what it plans to do with the space that would be freed up if the building were gone. It was gutted years ago and a second floor was added to house stores such as a Levi Strauss outlet.

Przybylinski defended the building's historic value, saying the “physical structure” is original and hasn't been modified.

He also said much of the interior is “pretty much intact.”

“But what was looked at was the significance of the building to the history of the community,” said Przybylinski, whose father worked at Pullman Standard for some 25 years. “It's been mentioned this could have an impact of the viability of Lighthouse Place. I don't know about that.”

Also tonight, the council will hear a second reading on an ordinance to shore up language and testing procedures in the fire-merit ordinance, and hear a resolution dealing with the waiver of “certain building permit fees and inspection fees.”

Contact reporter Jason Miller at jmiller@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 6 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #13

Tim, I wasn't talking about empty buildings. I'm talking about buildings that have been rehabbed and contain tangible evidence from a certain period of time. Like a museum, except that nothing is behind ropes or glass. Of course empty buildings are useless, but if you rehab the building and keep items from the time it was built on display, then people will get a sense of the history of the place. A good example is the first level of The Works building. There are photos, the original wood floor, a set of train car wheels, etc. for people to look at and touch. There are plaques on the wall describing the place and what it was like to work there. If you look around you can almost feel the heat and steam of working in the place. You can hear the sound of the metal and the yelling of workers to one another. It has a nostalgia and a spirit about it. Yeah, if the building is empty, then it is a worthless shell. If the building is torn down, then it's gone completely and forever. But, if it's rehabbed and put to good use, leaving the memorabilia in place, then people can experience that history and be reminded of the importance Michigan City once had. Maybe that will inspire people to be more active in the community and try to recapture that importance.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 7 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #14

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../07/news/n1.txt

City considers appeal to save Works

By Amanda Haverstick, The News-Dispatch

The Michigan City Common Council moved on to a second reading Tuesday night an ordinance that would expand one of the city's historic districts to include a building threatened by demolition.

Members of Michigan City's Historic Review Board are hoping an ordinance expanding the historic districts will save The Works owned by Lighthouse Place Premium Outlets from demolition. The building formerly was part of the Pullman Standard factory, once the city's largest employer.

Third Ward Councilman Ron Meer, who represents the ward in which Lighthouse Place is located, questioned the actual historic value of the building.

“I know they have made a sincere attempt over the years to occupy that building and have businesses in there,” Meer said. “It's not the last Pullman building standing ... there's also the south yards.”

Fourth Ward Councilwoman Pat Boy asked if the buildings were included in the original historic survey for the city's historic districts.

“That might have something to do with what our decision would be,” Boy said.

Indiana Historic Landmarks Foundation Director Todd Zeiger said the building was included in a survey completed in 1989.

“The interim report was published by the (Historic) Review Board through our offices,” Zeiger said. “The Works building is a part of that survey ... as was the administration building they knocked down last week.”

Zeiger said The Works was given a “notable” rating, which means it is eligible to be placed on the State Register of Historic Places.

Designation, Zeiger said, does not connote use, but requires a review of what happens to the building, including proposed demolitions.

“It's part of the public process around historic buildings, and that's what we're asking for,” Zeiger said. “Obviously, the building owner does have rights to do this with their property, but in this case, this is a public asset as well. I think there needs to be some public dialogue about this building before it just simply disappears like the administration next door did.”

Lighthouse Place General Manager Chris Juricic said the abandoned administration building was demolished because it sustained a significant amount of damage in the Aug. 23, 2006, storm.

“That building was an eyesore to the neighborhood,” she said, “but more importantly it represented a very dangerous situation.”

Juricic said the outlet mall brings in more than 5 million visitors to the city and has done a commendable job in maintaining the property.

“Today we have no tenant in that space ... the bottom line is, with that tenants leaving, that is now a large vacant building we can add to the North End,” Juricic said. “With all the talk of development in the North End, what we want to do is develop the southeast quadrant. Though there are conceptual plans, much of that is dictated by the businesses we want to bring. We're certainly willing to have any dialogue.”

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com.

+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 8 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 6 2007, 01:17 PM) *

Tim, I wasn't talking about empty buildings. I'm talking about buildings that have been rehabbed and contain tangible evidence from a certain period of time. Like a museum, except that nothing is behind ropes or glass. Of course empty buildings are useless, but if you rehab the building and keep items from the time it was built on display, then people will get a sense of the history of the place. A good example is the first level of The Works building. There are photos, the original wood floor, a set of train car wheels, etc. for people to look at and touch. There are plaques on the wall describing the place and what it was like to work there. If you look around you can almost feel the heat and steam of working in the place. You can hear the sound of the metal and the yelling of workers to one another. It has a nostalgia and a spirit about it. Yeah, if the building is empty, then it is a worthless shell. If the building is torn down, then it's gone completely and forever. But, if it's rehabbed and put to good use, leaving the memorabilia in place, then people can experience that history and be reminded of the importance Michigan City once had. Maybe that will inspire people to be more active in the community and try to recapture that importance.

Well, I have to agree 100% with this post. And I've been in the Work and you're absolutely right. But was anything like that in the plans for those other buildings? If not, are we to just leave them standing in hopes that there are someday? You know, how great would it be if they could do something like the Works in the Warren Bldg.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 8 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #16

You're right, Tim. That's why I said that I agreed with TheAnchorage's post above. If they can use the building for a good purpose, then it should be saved. But, it's wrong to just leave it empty. I was very sad when they tore down the old YMCA, but they couldn't find any good purpose for it so it needed to be razed. However, I think the City should do whatever they can to keep these old buildings.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Feb 9 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 8 2007, 08:53 PM) *

You're right, Tim. That's why I said that I agreed with TheAnchorage's post above. If they can use the building for a good purpose, then it should be saved. But, it's wrong to just leave it empty. I was very sad when they tore down the old YMCA, but they couldn't find any good purpose for it so it needed to be razed. However, I think the City should do whatever they can to keep these old buildings.

Again, I agree 100%.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:13 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com