IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Special Interests Stop Economic Growth, A letter from the Anvil Chorus; posted online 01/02/2008
JHeath
post Jan 2 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=48084.65

A letter from the Anvil Chorus; posted online 01/02/2008

Special Interests Stop Economic Growth

The statement in the Dec. 20 News-Dispatch floored me. The article "Officials announce plans for federally qualified health site" said La Porte County is "among the 200 poorest in the nation." Imagine this once prosperous county is now among the poorest in the nation. How did this happen, and what are we going to do about it? I expected a response from some elected official rebutting this statement, but I've heard not a word. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

I'm old enough to remember in the 1960s when Bethlehem and National Steel were announced and special interest groups opposed and fought their construction. Fortunately the mills were built and thousands of good paying jobs were now anchored near our community. Then in 1970 NIPSCO announced the Bailly One nuclear power plant at a projected cost of $180 million. Again special interest groups opposed this project. They held up construction through the court system until the plant was canceled in the early 1980s due to escalating construction costs estimated to be more than $1.8 billion. Had this plant been built in a timely fashion, we would now enjoy 100 plus high paying jobs with a clean, reliable and cheap source of electric power.

Driving through La Porte County, one cannot help but notice the many anti-toll road and intermodal signs. Don't these folks want or need the jobs offered by these projects, or can't they see the tax benefits offered? It's 1,600 to 6,000 new jobs. That's as many as Bethlehem Steel once employed. Is this the message our county needs or wants to convey to investors?

My question is to the silent majority. Where are those who support these projects? Where are their signs? If you are happy with our county's new status then continue to be silent or oppose major developments. If you want these and other investments in our county, and the jobs and benefits they provide, get involved.

Terry Moser, Past President
Boulevard Merchants Association
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 2 2008, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

And the challenge has been laid down....

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=53852.91

Posted: Monday, December 31, 2007
Sound Off! entry by: Georgette Senter

Special Interests Stop Economic Growth
While Mr. Moser is correct in his statements of where are the people who need these jobs and why are they not responding, some can not help but wonder what he did to help retain businesses along Michigan Boulevard during his tenure as President of the Boulevard Merchants Association or to attract new businesses. The city is dying faster then the county. Where is the first aid for the home front?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 2 2008, 02:15 PM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

"Than" not "then."

At any rate, the car wash is still open.

A lot of issues brought up by the letterwriter hae been addressed at length in the best source for commentary in MC, namely, this MB. The central issue is TRUST: Many people do not trust the decision makers to have the best for all in mind when it comes to any development, or any change at all, for that matter.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 2 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

SISOC= Stop Innovation, Suffocate Our County.

Also just because Moser was not successful at saving/reviving Michigan Blvd, doesn't mean he didn't put forth an effort. Those two things are not mutally exclusive.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jan 3 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #5

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

I think he is the guy that owned the Car Wash on Carroll & Mich. I think that even when he saw all the empty storefronts, he stayed in place and helped encourage others. Big success, in my book.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 4 2008, 10:17 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jan 2 2008, 08:21 PM) *

SISOC= Stop Innovation, Suffocate Our County.

laugh.gif laugh.gif OMG!! That is so funny!! Good one SSder!! laugh.gif laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 07:54 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com