> Nauyokas for School Board, Press Release #4 Discipline
Yokas
post Oct 14 2008, 09:14 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 793

Good Morning,
I've written my 4th press release and I want to share it with CBTL people.
Thanks,
Michele

Michele Nauyokas, retired teacher with over 35 years experience, and school board candidate, is concerned about discipline in the Michigan City Area Schools (MCAS). Discipline is an important entity in any school system. In order for our kids to learn, the atmosphere must be conducive to learning. Children need to feel safe, and they need to know what the rules are, as well as the consequences for breaking those rules. This creates stability in the school system and a sense of well-being. This allows the teachers to teach and the children to learn.

Nauyokas states, "In the MCAS, we have a discipline policy in place that is great. What we don't have is a fair consistent enforcement of that policy so that our kids understand that the rules will be enforced. What this means is that students are told the rules at the beginning of the year, but they quickly learn that they are not enforced. A student breaks a rule, and the consequence is not applied. I am not talking about basic rules like no running in the hall, being late to class, or kissing in the hallway. I'm also referring to fights, profanity in the classroom, coming to school high, or having weapons in your possession. Even for these infractions, many students are returned to the classroom, and the poor behavior continues. Sometimes a student is put up for expulsion; but they, too, are returned to the class after a few days. It is important to understand that there is a lot of inconsistency with discipline. It's very frustrating for adults and most students because they want enforced discipline, and they know that it is best for a learning environment, but their hands are tied."

This lack of discipline increases as the school year progresses. The consequence is that inappropriate behaviors continue; no consequence is sought or applied, and our student's learning suffers. Approximately 5% of our students are major discipline disruptions; but their negative behavior is consistent in all of their classes and often it escalates.

Nauyokas continues, "What is really happening is that the MCAS wants to reduce the negative behavior statistics, not the negative behavior. I believe that if we explained our discipline policy to parents and students, and enforced that policy, it would take less than one month to have a stabilized learning environment; as well as a significant reduction in discipline infractions."

"Our kids would have increased instruction, discipline in the schools, and we would be focusing on the kids and what's best for their learning. By establishing enforcement of the current policy, we will give our kids stability and a sense of harmony. If we were more concerned about learning, and less concerned about the statistics, real teaching could take place."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 14 2008, 10:19 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Member No.: 3

You make a point about stats vs the behavior itself. I basically agree with you but there has to be some way of measuring whether success is closer. It is possible to get some idea from anecdotal evidence, but establishing some way of measuring the stabilization you mention is the way to ascertain whether the behavior is better or not.

Given this, how do you propose behavior be measured?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 14 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 14 2008, 11:19 AM) *

You make a point about stats vs the behavior itself. I basically agree with you but there has to be some way of measuring whether success is closer. It is possible to get some idea from anecdotal evidence, but establishing some way of measuring the stabilization you mention is the way to ascertain whether the behavior is better or not.

Given this, how do you propose behavior be measured?

If I understand your question, I'm not saying get rid of the statistics. Keep a record of behavior infractions. That information is stored in a database, and is at our fingertips. But accurately report the behavior infractions. The cover-up comes in 2 ways: sometimes the negative behavior is not addressed, it is ignored; and it is not reported. Or someone, for example, comes to school high; they are put into a counseling program, and the behavior is not reported as coming to school high. It is reported as being put into counseling.
The other frustration is that a student is addressed for a negative behavior, the parent loudly complains about the "injustice", and the consequence is changed. Standing firm is not current policy.
What I'm writing about is just the tip of the iceberg. The deception is so complex, it is hard to know all that is REALLY going on. Teachers make written reports, and the reports are sometimes lost, or they write a consequence on the teacher report; but in the database, something completely different is written, and the teacher never knows it.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 14 2008, 11:50 AM
Post #4

The Board sets policy but the Administration runs MCAS. How would the Board influence the Administration in the direction you outline?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 14 2008, 01:33 PM
Post #5

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I know! Get rid of Michael Harding and Carla Iacona!

laugh.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 14 2008, 02:47 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 14 2008, 12:50 PM) *

The Board sets policy but the Administration runs MCAS. How would the Board influence the Administration in the direction you outline?

(This is my second time responding. I don't know where my first response is, at this time.) dry.gif
You are exactly right, Rog. And in my opinion, if Administration does not carry out policy the way the board anticipates, then it is the Board's responsibility to change administration. The Board has to be the watch-dog. It is unethical for a Board member to not be responsible for the "streamlline" functioning of the school--schools with the kids in mind and what is best for them.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 15 2008, 07:48 AM
Post #7

How tightly can the Board control the Admin? They are not marionettes. Under what conditions can the Supr. be fired? In his contract, there must be some list of unacceptable actions that could cause him to be fired without having to be paid severance.

Is the contract available for public viewing?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 15 2008, 07:51 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 15 2008, 08:48 AM) *

How tightly can the Board control the Admin? They are not marionettes. Under what conditions can the Supr. be fired? In his contract, there must be some list of unacceptable actions that could cause him to be fired without having to be paid severance.

It is out there. Dennis Metheney has had a copy of it on his show before. I don't know how to obtain it, but I would imagine it would be available under the Freedom of Information Act.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 15 2008, 08:10 AM
Post #9

Dare we ask Mr. M. for a copy?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 15 2008, 08:29 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 15 2008, 09:10 AM) *

Dare we ask Mr. M. for a copy?

Everytime I have talked to him, I found him approachable.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 15 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 15 2008, 08:48 AM) *

How tightly can the Board control Administration depends on the philosophy of the Board. I personally believe that a SB member has been elected to run the schools. So run them.
As to firing a Supt.; you can non-renew a contract for virtually any reason--we don't like the tie you're wearing. Of course that does not happen often
As to the severance, I don't know how that works. SS is right-- the Freedom of Information Act means his contract is open to the public. For teachers, the media has gone in to the Ad Bldng, asked administration for the actions against a teacher, and they were given the info (remember Scheimann?). Most administrations would not have done that. I know a little about his contract: his salary, car & gas; but that's about it.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 15 2008, 08:32 AM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Oct 15 2008, 09:29 AM) *

Everytime I have talked to him, I found him approachable.

I agree, again, with SS
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 15 2008, 08:56 AM
Post #13

Yeah, but try to walk in the ad bldg and ask for a copy of Hardling's contract. I'm sure it won't be handed over so easily.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 15 2008, 09:15 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Yokas @ Oct 15 2008, 09:31 AM) *

How tightly can the Board control Administration depends on the philosophy of the Board. I personally believe that a SB member has been elected to run the schools. So run them.
As to firing a Supt.; you can non-renew a contract for virtually any reason--we don't like the tie you're wearing. Of course that does not happen often
As to the severance, I don't know how that works. SS is right-- the Freedom of Information Act means his contract is open to the public. For teachers, the media has gone in to the Ad Bldng, asked administration for the actions against a teacher, and they were given the info (remember Scheimann?). Most administrations would not have done that. I know a little about his contract: his salary, car & gas; but that's about it.

The School Board specifically is not an administrative body and has not been elected to run the school system. The Board is to hire administrators who have the executive responsibility. See http://www.isba-ind.org/Code_of_Ethics.htm, second item in the first section. I would like a clarification of your statement quoted above.

Normally, an employment contract will specify situations that will lead to dismissal. How specifically this is spelled out is what I am after. If someone is let go under conditions not covered in the contract, he is normally entitled to whatever the severance package is.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 15 2008, 11:21 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 15 2008, 10:15 AM) *

The School Board specifically is not an administrative body and has not been elected to run the school system. The Board is to hire administrators who have the executive responsibility. See http://www.isba-ind.org/Code_of_Ethics.htm, second item in the first section. I would like a clarification of your statement quoted above.

Normally, an employment contract will specify situations that will lead to dismissal. How specifically this is spelled out is what I am after. If someone is let go under conditions not covered in the contract, he is normally entitled to whatever the severance package is.

I stand corrected. I wrote too fast, before the head kicked in. I have a copy of that document you listed. Let me restate: The Board is not an Administrative body; but it is a policy-setting body. In that way they control the direction they want the schools to move. When the policies that the Board wants Administration to carry out, aren't carried out, who's to blame? I say it is the Board's responsibility to make sure their policies are carried out by Administration. If you can't control Administration, then they need to be replaced. And if the Board doesn't replace Administration, eplace the Board. The Supt. has to answer to the Board.

To your other question, I think you are right, but I honestly don't know that answer. In MCAS, we love to buy out supt.--at a huge cost to taxpayers.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 15 2008, 11:33 AM
Post #16

And not just Superintendents, but other administrators as well. Case in point, the Cary Laramore/Plant Planning debacle.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 15 2008, 12:46 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Yokas @ Oct 15 2008, 12:21 PM) *

I stand corrected. I wrote too fast, before the head kicked in. I have a copy of that document you listed. Let me restate: The Board is not an Administrative body; but it is a policy-setting body. In that way they control the direction they want the schools to move. When the policies that the Board wants Administration to carry out, aren't carried out, who's to blame? I say it is the Board's responsibility to make sure their policies are carried out by Administration. If you can't control Administration, then they need to be replaced. And if the Board doesn't replace Administration, eplace the Board. The Supt. has to answer to the Board.

To your other question, I think you are right, but I honestly don't know that answer. In MCAS, we love to buy out supt.--at a huge cost to taxpayers.

The Board has not held the Supt. to account, and for that, the Board should be replaced. Knowing the terms of the contract is the only way to find a way to make him answer to the Board.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 15 2008, 02:29 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 15 2008, 12:33 PM) *

And not just Superintendents, but other administrators as well. Case in point, the Cary Laramore/Plant Planning debacle.

Right on Ang. What a terrible administrator with a terrible temper. Unfortunately, there are even more.
+Quote Post
Yokas
post Oct 15 2008, 02:46 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 15 2008, 01:46 PM) *

The Board has not held the Supt. to account, and for that, the Board should be replaced. Knowing the terms of the contract is the only way to find a way to make him answer to the Board.

I'm guessing that I am REALLY naive b/c I'm having troubles following your thinking and I usually like the way you think.
This is what I think: Supt passes the interviews and is offered a job. School Board offers salary, benefits, perks ie--car, gas, # of vacation days, the usual stuff. I have never perceived that he (or any other administrator) has a paper contract stating his working conditions, rights & responsibilities, etc. My concept is that he takes a yearly direction from the Board and goes from there. Since this Board does not make him accountable, he's carte blanche.
I believe that his contract has been extended to 2012; but I could be wrong. Is that what you mean? But I also thought that a Board had the power to reduce the contract as long as the October deadline was met and he was given a year to find another job.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 15 2008, 03:04 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(Yokas @ Oct 15 2008, 02:29 PM) *

Right on Ang. What a terrible administrator with a terrible temper. Unfortunately, there are even more.

Yeah, I know. I worked for the man!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:47 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com