Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/0...68323768779.txt

Mayor: Still confident in San. District, board

By Matt Field
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:14 AM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Mayor Chuck Oberlie defended his actions Monday against criticism that he has been too hands-off in his handling of the controversy at the Sanitary District.

Against a backdrop of bad news at the district — from a federal criminal probe to negative environmental and safety reports — the mayor has been criticized for deferring to the Sanitary Board and district officials and not holding them more accountable.

While saying he still has confidence in the board and General Manager Al Walus, Oberlie defended giving boards such as the Sanitary Board space to make decisions.

“The system is not to elect a city czar who just runs everything,” he said. “If we did then we wouldn’t have any of the boards.”

Even if he wanted to shake up the board, he said his authority is limited.

“To the best of my knowledge there are court decision that indicate that they are removed for cause,” he said. “They can’t just be removed because I don’t agree with them.”

As for Walus, the mayor says he and the board share the responsibility of appointing him. Oberlie said he is inclined to follow the board’s decision on the matter.

“My belief is when I have the shared responsibility, I allow the boards to do the initial research and I accept or reject their person.”

Oberlie has criticized the Sanitary Board, notably in a letter he wrote in April chastising board members for investigating only Ron Meer after Meer reported safety issues at the district to state regulators and not his bosses.

In that letter Oberlie asked the board to undertake an investigation into the broader issue of safety at the Sanitary District and to find out whether anyone else besides Meer knew about the violations.

But one board member, Boyd Phelps, has said the investigation into Meer was broad, involving interviews with about 30 people.

Regardless, even Oberlie’s criticism of the board did not go far enough for some critics. One, Councilman Bob McKee, recently accused the mayor of “(hiding) behind the board” and letting safety and environmental issues get out of hand.

Oberlie rebutted the notion that he’s been hiding.

“The City Council and the legislature have created these boards to involve the citizens in our form of government,” Oberlie said. “And I think you’re supposed to let them function.”

He said the board and district officials have been making progress in improving safety and dealing with other issues at the district. Ultimately, neither the board nor officials at the Sanitary District may have much control over some events in the future. The Indiana Attorney General’s office is expected to make a decision today about whether or not to file a lawsuit against the district over Meer’s whistle-blower complaint. That could lead to the man they terminated being rehired.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Jul 1 2010, 08:23 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 330

Even if he wanted to shake up the board, he said his authority is limited.

“To the best of my knowledge there are court decision that indicate that they are removed for cause,” he said. “They can’t just be removed because I don’t agree with them.”

I guess the IDEM violations, the raid, the whistleblower lawsuit, the Ed Gonzalez debacle, don't rise to the that standard.

Seriously....I'd be interested to hear what would be a justifiable cause in Chuck O's eyes.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jul 1 2010, 02:22 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

The Mayor can remove board members that he appointed. Malfeasance is one reason, non attendance, and I think there are a few more. The appointees appointed by the Mayor serve at his pleasure and can be removed. He didn't provide the whole story....SURPRISE!

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

Hey Homey!! How ya been?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Homey
post Jul 1 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

Hey Ang, pretty good now! Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you!!!!

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 2 2010, 07:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Homey @ Jul 1 2010, 03:37 PM) *

Hey Ang, pretty good now! Happy Belated Birthday wishes to you!!!!

Thanks!! Glad to see you're still around. wink.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Jul 29 2010, 09:16 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

Attorney Mark Phillips testified to the City Council that the scope of what he was hired to do was investigate Ron Meer, nothing else. The investigation into the MCSD safety violations was not included in his duties. Employee as well as public safety is to take a back seat to the Sanitary brass and board. The process to report the serious violations which Mr. Phillips testified to is......... a suggestion box! The suggestion box would be the correct way to report safety issues not IOSHA. Ron Meer screwed up and did not use the box. When IOSHA came in and took a look around they found major issues beyond what was reported to them, Ron Meer is being held responsible for not putting those in the suggestion box as well. So Meer it seems was fired in part for not placing violations he new nothing about into the state of the art SUGGESTION BOX!
Sad part is that mayor Oberlie and the board of the MCSD sleep at night knowing they screwed this guy.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:31 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com