Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michigan City Summer Memories
Tim
post Jun 28 2008, 01:33 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

We all have memories of summers in Michigan City - let's share some!

I worked for the Port Authority in the mid-70's. This was about the time the alewife fish problem was bad - there would be huge die-offs and the dead little guys would wash up on shore. We would have to clean them out from the boat ramp into the basin - so about four of us would pull up with lawn rakes and snow shovels and get to work. There would be just a blanket of dead fish - about eight feet out and a foot thick. Usually we'd fill about 7 of those big steel trash cans - and take them to the dump out off 20. Now - this was in the blazing hot sun - so by the time we got to the dump - them fish was ripe! Many a lunch was lost on that job!

Okay - perhaps a more pleasant memory would be welcome -

Go!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jun 28 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I remember when the water came all the way up to the board (concrete) walk, the big posts had chains running between them and the water was about 4' deep. At night we would walk out to the lighthouse (when the foghorn still blew) and people would be lined up from the parking lot all the way out to the lighthouse with lanterns, blankets, nets and coolers of beer smelt fishing. It was so pretty to see it all lit up with lanterns all the way out to the lighthouse with people laughing and having a good time.
My family would go to DQ then out to the beach. We would eat our DQ's while we walked out to the lighthouse and back. Mom & Dad would stop to talk to people along the way. Sometimes they would see someone they knew and we would sit with them for a bit before moving on. That was our favorite family thing to do.
Then the lake started to recede and people couldn't smelt fish anymore. (sigh)

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jun 28 2008, 06:35 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 28 2008, 12:00 PM) *

I remember when the water came all the way up to the board (concrete) walk, the big posts had chains running between them and the water was about 4' deep. At night we would walk out to the lighthouse (when the foghorn still blew) and people would be lined up from the parking lot all the way out to the lighthouse with lanterns, blankets, nets and coolers of beer smelt fishing. It was so pretty to see it all lit up with lanterns all the way out to the lighthouse with people laughing and having a good time.
My family would go to DQ then out to the beach. We would eat our DQ's while we walked out to the lighthouse and back. Mom & Dad would stop to talk to people along the way. Sometimes they would see someone they knew and we would sit with them for a bit before moving on. That was our favorite family thing to do.

That's a beautiful memory. So many of our memories are tied to the lakefront, I think. When I was REALLY young - like 4 or 5 - I remember my dad taking me fishing out on the pier. When the fog horn would go off it would rumble right through you, being so close to the lighthouse. I still try to walk out to the lighthouse every time I'm home.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 30 2008, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 3

When I lived away from MC, I would always drive by just to see the lake when I was back here visiting. It is like tagging up.

One year we were here on leave from overseas, and I was just out of 8th grade. We were renting a cottage on the lake, and there was a quite interesting girl from Illinois down the street. Ah, summer love...

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 1 2008, 02:35 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Jun 30 2008, 10:50 AM) *

When I lived away from MC, I would always drive by just to see the lake when I was back here visiting. It is like tagging up.

One year we were here on leave from overseas, and I was just out of 8th grade. We were renting a cottage on the lake, and there was a quite interesting girl from Illinois down the street. Ah, summer love...

Now that's what I'm talking about! So, Rog - tongue?
biggrin.gif

Anyone every make-out - or better - up in the Washington Park Tower whilst gazing out on Our Fair City?

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 1 2008, 07:01 AM
Post #6

A writer may hint, but a gentleman never tells.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 1 2008, 07:27 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 2

Tell me more, tell me more, did you get very far?
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 1 2008, 08:19 AM
Post #8

They were staying just about a block away, so not that far.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2008, 09:01 AM
Post #9

Roger, did your hair ruffle a little when SSder's comment flew over your head?

Nope, never made out in the tower. It was closed during that time in my life. I did make out behind the lighthouse on a really foggy night once, with the foghorn blowing. Talk about good vibrations!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
januarygirl63
post Jul 1 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 784

QUOTE(Ang @ Jun 28 2008, 01:00 PM) *

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]

I remember those days too, Ang. We would occasionally go out to the pier and do some smelting ourselves , gee....that seems like ages ago and it had to have only been in the early '80s. But, yeah, I remember when the lake came up to the concrete walk years ago as well.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 1 2008, 03:20 PM
Post #11

I'm thinking it was more like the 70's.

Good to see you back JanGirl

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 1 2008, 05:46 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 1 2008, 09:01 AM) *

Nope, never made out in the tower. It was closed during that time in my life. I did make out behind the lighthouse on a really foggy night once, with the foghorn blowing. Talk about good vibrations!!

The Tower was closed during my, er... experience as well - that never stopped us!

Perhaps I should leave it at that...... dry.gif
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 2 2008, 07:49 AM
Post #13

I never made out in the tower, but it was a favorite hobby to sneak into the zoo through Hungry Hollow and go check out the elephants and climb up to the top of the tower.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 2 2008, 08:18 AM
Post #14

QUOTE(Ang @ Jul 1 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Actually, the 'do got askew when I ducked the question!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jul 2 2008, 08:33 AM
Post #15

Aaahhhh......

I see how you are!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 3 2008, 08:28 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

Happy 4th Of July!

My dad's mother's birthday was the 4th of July - so when we were little kids we'd all go out to my uncle's house. He lived at Stop 33 in Duneland Beach. We'd walk down and spend the day at the beach - then go back and have a cookout. I seem to remember sparklers being the extent of our fireworks - but we had great fun!

When I was nine I joined the Maple City Cadets drum and bugle corps - so every 4th after that was spent marching. We'd march in the LaPorte parade, then get right on a bus and go somewhere in Illinois and march in another parade. One year we marched in three parades and two shows like the show at Ames Field.

Other 4th memories?
+Quote Post
digger262
post Jul 21 2008, 01:52 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 771

My favorite summer memories of MC have to do with the beach and pier. When I was 12-15, we would ride our bikes to the pier and 'dive' with masks by the rocks through 'caves' Once or twice I would get caught in rocks and for a moment think I would drown down there. Some other times we would take our bikes out on the pier and ride them off at the lighthouse after checking for rocks. Not the smartest things to do but definitely good memories.

Then as I got older, stop 2 was the place to be. Sometimes, we'd spend the whole day there and cap it off at night with a bonfire/cookout. And once we ever spent the night sleeping on towels in the sand.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jul 21 2008, 02:01 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(digger262 @ Jul 21 2008, 02:52 PM) *
My favorite summer memories of MC have to do with the beach and pier. When I was 12-15, we would ride our bikes to the pier and 'dive' with masks by the rocks through 'caves' Once or twice I would get caught in rocks and for a moment think I would drown down there. Some other times we would take our bikes out on the pier and ride them off at the lighthouse after checking for rocks. Not the smartest things to do but definitely good memories.

Then as I got older, stop 2 was the place to be. Sometimes, we'd spend the whole day there and cap it off at night with a bonfire/cookout. And once we ever spent the night sleeping on towels in the sand.

LOL, some things never change.

I used to see kids swimming around those rocks on the pier all the time. I never did. I heard there are tunnels going from one side of the pier to the other that you can swim through. NO THANKS!!

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 21 2008, 02:10 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(digger262 @ Jul 21 2008, 02:52 PM) *

Welcome to the site! smile.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jul 21 2008, 02:58 PM
Post #20

Aren't those tunnels where the lampreys would wait to grab young people trying to swim through?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:55 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com