Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Labor Dayz
Southsider2k12
post Sep 3 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I know it isn't Oktoberfest, but is anyone going?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 5 2010, 10:08 PM
Post #2

A fashion tip direct from Labor Dayz... Your hockey jersey should NEVER be skin tight.

Thank you.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Sep 6 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

With that comment, I'm kind of glad I missed it (again) this year. blink.gif laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 7 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

I completely forgot about that! OMG So strange for me to have it totally slip my mind.

I did the Plymouth Blueberry Festival this year. This was my first time there. That thing is MASSIVE and could almost rival the LP Co. Fair! We went Sunday and they had fireworks. They were the best fireworks I've seen in years. It lasted almost 45 minutes, and the finale was amazing!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Homey
post Sep 7 2010, 12:09 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

QUOTE(Ang @ Sep 7 2010, 10:05 AM) *

I completely forgot about that! OMG So strange for me to have it totally slip my mind.

I did the Plymouth Blueberry Festival this year. This was my first time there. That thing is MASSIVE and could almost rival the LP Co. Fair! We went Sunday and they had fireworks. They were the best fireworks I've seen in years. It lasted almost 45 minutes, and the finale was amazing!

My son and his girlfriend came in Monday and after lunch we thought we'd stop by and pick up some almonds. My son was shocked how little it was and not much going on. We didn't find the almonds, and we stayed about 10 minutes. Think I'll take Ang's advice and try the Blueberry Fest next year.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 7 2010, 12:10 PM
Post #6

From what I understand most of the vendors that used to do Oktoberfest have moved on to Plymouth, along with a lot of the out of town crowd that used to come to Washington Park.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 7 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

So how was the turnout? My sister went Saturday - said it seemed a bit light.
+Quote Post
4allpeople
post Sep 8 2010, 11:04 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,044

labor dayz has turned into a platform for two bands the current and spellbound. every year for the past 5 years the current has played on friday and spellbound on saturday. half the band from spellbound works for the park department. one of the members of the band also sits on the summer festival committee. there are few if any african-american bands represented. spellbound also gets to be the entertainment headliner at most city events presented by the park department, i.e., the fireworks, etc. can someone find out how much money the city has paid this band and how many park department sponsored events they have played at? talk about unethical. i'll spend my money elsewhere. this does not represent diversity in our community.

+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 9 2010, 07:28 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(4allpeople @ Sep 8 2010, 12:04 PM) *

labor dayz has turned into a platform for two bands the current and spellbound. every year for the past 5 years the current has played on friday and spellbound on saturday. half the band from spellbound works for the park department. one of the members of the band also sits on the summer festival committee. there are few if any african-american bands represented. spellbound also gets to be the entertainment headliner at most city events presented by the park department, i.e., the fireworks, etc. can someone find out how much money the city has paid this band and how many park department sponsored events they have played at? talk about unethical. i'll spend my money elsewhere. this does not represent diversity in our community.

The Current and Spellbound are two of the most popular bands in the area. Hence their headline status. Unethical? Hardly. No African American bands? Any idea how many African American bands tried to get on the bill? I do agree you should spend your money elsewhere.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 9 2010, 07:47 AM
Post #10

Actually you missed out on an awesome band named Together. They put on an awesome motown/blues show.

As someone who is kinda past the bar bands scene, what other area African-American bands are there? Even at Oktoberfest, the only one I really remember was Lindsey Alexander, and his band was out of Chicago.

Trust me, I know that we haven't had anything to replace the fest that was Oktoberfest, but if you miss out on all of the good things here because of stupid mistakes made, you'd miss out on a lot.
+Quote Post
4allpeople
post Sep 9 2010, 10:54 AM
Post #11

The band Together is a staple at the Mayor's Ball, I have seen them. What about the band White Dove? I'm sure there are other African-American bands that don't get the opportunity to perform because it's the same group of people sitting on the summer festival year after year, picking their same group of friends.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 9 2010, 07:35 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(4allpeople @ Sep 9 2010, 11:54 AM) *

The band Together is a staple at the Mayor's Ball, I have seen them. What about the band White Dove? I'm sure there are other African-American bands that don't get the opportunity to perform because it's the same group of people sitting on the summer festival year after year, picking their same group of friends.

And yet an African American band did play at Labor Dayz.

And the band Together is a staple at the Mayor's Ball?

Your "lack of diversity" claim is wearing thin, my friend.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Sep 10 2010, 05:18 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 9 2010, 08:35 PM) *

And yet an African American band did play at Labor Dayz.

And the band Together is a staple at the Mayor's Ball?

Your "lack of diversity" claim is wearing thin, my friend.

Tim, his frustration may be justified. What I have been waiting 18 years for, is to be let in the park gate by a person of color. The park department seems to hire family first then Marquette High School students. It is definatly not a reflection of the community. It came out at the last election cycle that the parks had zero, nadda, zilch African Americans in their employ. Not much change now.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 10 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Sep 10 2010, 06:18 AM) *

Tim, his frustration may be justified. What I have been waiting 18 years for, is to be let in the park gate by a person of color. The park department seems to hire family first then Marquette High School students. It is definatly not a reflection of the community. It came out at the last election cycle that the parks had zero, nadda, zilch African Americans in their employ. Not much change now.

Point taken. But an African American band did in fact play at Labor Days, correct?
+Quote Post
4allpeople
post Sep 10 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #15

Tim the fact you are asking if an African-American Band did play at Labor Dayz is just my point. Together is a fantastic multi-talented diverse band, but we need more than just one band. This forum is to open up conversation and your responses to my points of view is why this is so important. Knowledge is power my friend.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 10 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #16

My question is this: Have any African American bands auditioned to play at LaborDayz, or any other event?

If no one wants to play, then your arguement is moot. However, if bands have asked for the exposure and been denied, I could understand why you're upset. Might be something worth looking into? (Do I smell the makings of an investigative report? wink.gif wink.gif )

And LoveCity, I too noticed that the "gatekeepers" and life guards at Wash. Park are always white. Hmmm.......

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 10 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #17

QUOTE(4allpeople @ Sep 9 2010, 11:54 AM) *

I honestly don't know of any other bands that they could pick locally.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 10 2010, 06:18 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(4allpeople @ Sep 10 2010, 09:07 AM) *

Tim the fact you are asking if an African-American Band did play at Labor Dayz is just my point. Together is a fantastic multi-talented diverse band, but we need more than just one band. This forum is to open up conversation and your responses to my points of view is why this is so important. Knowledge is power my friend.

So if black artists performed and white artists performed what kind of problem are you having?

And no, I'm not asking if a black band played at Labor Dayz. I already know one did.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Sep 11 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

I just spoke to one of the members of Spellbound. 2 members of the band work for the park. There are 5 members in the band. Thus your "half the band" point is a little off. Spellbound has played at two city events since summer began - the fireworks and Labor Dayz. I see nothing "unethical" going on here.

The real point of contention, it seems, is whether any black bands were prevented from performing due to either race or favoritism by the park towards its employees. If in fact any black bands were shut out due to either of these factors then, yeah, that's wrong. But according to the band member I talked to, who works at the park and is close to the people deciding who plays, only one black band showed any interest in performing.

So there you have it.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Sep 13 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #20

Well, I guess that answers my question. Thanks for checking into it Tim--all the way from Japan!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:25 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com