Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2010 Michigan City Wolves football thread
Southsider2k12
post Jul 27 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

The Scrimmage against New Prairie is coming up quickly on August 13th, with the first regular season game the 20th against Gary Roosevelt.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 27 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #2

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2010/07/23...75641587945.txt

Wolves’ football hopeful for more winning ahead

Adam Parkhouse
By Adam Parkhouse
Sports Editor
Published: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:03 AM CDT
Though Thursday was just July 22, it sure felt a lot like late August at Ames Field.

There, Michigan City’s football program wrapped up a summer’s worth of scrimmages, this one against Kankakee Valley before a state-mandated moratorium kicks in prior to two-a-days getting going in August.

But more than a handful of local football junkies have taken opportunities like these scrimmages as a chance to satisfy their football fix.

But of course, these summer scrimmages were particularly important for the Wolves. They have a new coach in Eric Schreiber and about 100 starting positions to fill, thanks to graduation losses.

OK, not 100. But a lot.

Some of the most notable missing faces were in attendance Thursday, casting an ominous cloud serving as a reminder of the shoes needing to be filled by names we don’t know quite yet.

Adam Harmon, Ryan Isaac, Tyler Prybylla and others all must be replaced.

City fans knew it was coming. Last year was fun, but the reality of a senior-laden roster is that next year’s likely won’t be. Certainly not in terms of experience.

The hope at City is that the program is now strong enough to withstand these defections.

The hope is that the Pop Warner program, which continues to do nothing but win, will still provide players for the high school coaches to work with.

The hope is that the Wolves, from this day forward, will be able to reload rather than rebuild, very much in the same way Merrillville and Valparaiso always seems to be able to do.

Of course, hope is a funny thing. In fact, according to a great poet, “Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

OK, so Red from “Shawshank Redemption” doesn’t qualify as a great poet. Whatever.

But fans around here know something about hope, particularly if you root for the baseball team that plays 81 games a year on Chicago’s North Side.

It springs eternal, hope does, and it makes every fan feel like this could be the year, no matter what conventional wisdom says.

So what did we learn about City football this summer or through Thursday’s scrimmage?

I saw organization. I saw a currently small, but effective coaching staff capable of leading players on and off the field.

I saw a large group of kids running around the field looking to hit someone, and that’s a good thing.

I saw those same kids working hard to win a job or a spot on the team, even though it was unbelievably hot and humid.

So what did I learn from an ultimately meaningless scrimmage? It’s OK to have some hope about City football.

Because as Andy from that same movie later wrote in a letter to Red, “Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies.”

Contact Sports Editor Adam Parkhouse at sports@heraldargus.com or 1-866-362-2167, Ext. 13869.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 27 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

I'm going to be hopeful that it don't rain on Friday's during the 2010 season. Last season it rained and the team had wet field conditions for every game from the 6th week @ Lake Central until the sectional opening loss VS. Elkhart Memorial.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 28 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Wolves trying for another winning season

Here's my stab at a 2010 season preview:

Michigan City's JV Team went 6-3 in 2009 starting out 6-0 before dropping their final three games against Portage, La Porte and Crown Point by the narrowest of margins.

Key varsity returners for the Wolves will be Sr. QB Rodney Washington, JR. DB/WR Arthur Williams, SR. K/P Dustin Rivich, JR Back up QB Joel Hirsch, SR TE Trevor Woolum, and JR LB Giogio Karallas. Moving up from the JV team will be JR's Rasheem Bell and Anthony Catchings who will takeover as the the Wolves new running backs.

In 2009 the Wolves managed an overall 6-4 record, marking only the fourth time the team finished above .500 since the consolidation and their first winning season since 2005. City also complied a 4-3 record in the Duneland conference which was good enough for a 4 way second place conference finish along with Valparaiso, Chesterton and cross county rival La Porte.

Despite starting out the campaign at a much ballyhooed 4-0 the Wolves lost their first game of the season in week 5 to the eventual DAC champion and 5A semi-state finalist Merrillville Pirates in front of a record setting homecoming Ames Field crowd. Michigan City crumbled down the stretch only going 2-4 in their last six matchups with those only two victories coming over last place Duneland Conference finishers Lake Central and Crown Point before finally ending their season with a crushing 23-0 shutout loss in the sectional opener at the hands of the Elkhart Memorial Crimson Chargers at a rain soaked Ames Field.

City graduated eight that will be playing on Saturdays, they are OL/DL Ryan Isaac (Purdue), RB/DB Adam Harmon (Anderson), WR/DL Blake Surface (Indianapolis), OL Tyler Prybylla (Ferris State), WR Austin Althoff (Wabash), OL Alex Hirsch (Wabash), LB Michael Panaccia (DePauw) WR/DB Tracy Rivera (Aurura) in addition to LB Cody Miranda, LB Tyree Wright, RB/LB Jeremy Harris and OL Jeff Bibb.

Major losses also include half of the coaching staff including legendary Head Coach Craig Buzea, ex-Head Coaches Bob Mattix and Dave Egofske, Associate Head Coach Tom Cicero and former Portage standout David Ortiz.

Griffith grad Eric Schreiber was named the new Wolves head coach back in May and stated he will run option on offense and will have several spots to fill on defense, his assistant coaches will include Matt Cates, Steve Vaught, Rick Burnau and Bobby Kimp. Schreiber brings in a combined 41-40 record during 8 1/2 years as a head coach in stints at 2A Hammond Bishop Noll (16-17) and 3A Greensburg (25- 23).

Notes:

*-Things appear that 2010 could possibly be the last season Michigan City will be playing in 5A sectional 2. According to the latest Indiana high school enrollment figures East Chicago Central which currently plays in 5A sectional 1 will be dropping down to mid-tier 4A status which means when the IHSAA completes its two year football reclassification cycle at the conclusion of this season Michigan City will most likely be moved back into 5A sectional 1 for the foreseeable future beginning in 2011.

*-City brings in a very impressive freshmen class in 2010, this is the group everyone really needs to begin to focus on.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Jul 29 2010, 08:29 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

Tax, what have you heard that makes you think the freshman class coming in is going to be special?
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 30 2010, 01:35 AM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Tax, what have you heard that makes you think the freshman class coming in is going to be special?

Shutout 10 opponents last year.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Jul 30 2010, 07:06 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

10 shut outs where as eight graders? I hope you aren't counting Pop Warner because you would be making a serious mis calculation.
+Quote Post
backwoods
post Aug 7 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 980

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 30 2010, 07:06 AM) *

10 shut outs where as eight graders? I hope you aren't counting Pop Warner because you would be making a serious mis calculation.

I agree with Jesse. What Pop Warner has accomplished had been great and they are to be commended for their accomplishments!

But that does not transfer to wins in a IHSAA Program. 1st the pop warner program has weight limitations for kids. They all weigh around the same. The heavier kids don't get to play until middle school. A huge dissadvantage to the program. What makes or BREAKS a football team~their line.

2nd Pop warner has an older/lighter rule. Would be the equivelent of a 5th year senior on the team.

Again, I am proud of the accomplishments that the Program has acheived within their own rule structure.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 7 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #9

Pictures from tonight's intrasquad game

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/al...;id=44763113874
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 9 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #10

http://www.post-trib.com/sports/highschool...er-0808.article

Schreiber's goal: Keep Wolves moving forward
August 8, 2010BY NEAL BOYER, POST-TRIBUNE CORRESPONDENT
Font Size
Email
Bookmark
Black Text
White Text

Eric Schreiber is young and starting his first year as head coach at Michigan City. But he doesn't lack experience.

Schreiber, 36, coached Bishop Noll for three years (2001-03) then led downstate Greensburg, a Class 3A school, going 25-23 from 2004-08. Overall he's 41-40. Last fall he assisted Craig Buzea (now coaching at Homewood-Flossmoor in Illinois) as Michigan City's offensive coordinator

"I think it's a big help, being here last year," he said. "I just wish I'd been hired (as head coach) a little sooner (than April 13) after Buzz resigned in January. At least I know the kids. That's huge. It's allowed us to do a lot more this summer."

He retained five assistants, three on varsity: Matt Cates as strength/conditioning and linebackers coach, Steve Vaught as defensive backs coach and Rick Burnau as the tight end/receivers coach. The first two played at Portage.

Schreiber, a 1992 Griffith grad, played on Les Thornton's semistate team that lost to Fort Wayne Bishop Dwenger. After graduating from Purdue Calumet, he assisted at Griffith for three seasons.

"Being head coach at other schools, I won't make some mistakes of younger coaches," Schreiber said. "I want to win now; we're working hard to get the players ready to win. We've got a solid junior class but don't want to wait until next year."

After years as a Duneland Conference doormat, Wolves fans and players expect to win -- now. Buzea, the ex-Portage coach, steadily turned things around in his three seasons, going 2-8, 4-6 and 6-4 last fall. But his Wolves never won a sectional game.

As the wins increased, so did the crowds at Ames Field, in its second season as a turf surface.

Buzea's not the only one who's gone. Top rusher and safety Adam Harmon graduated, as did all-state lineman Ryan Isaac (now at Purdue), defensive end Blake Surface (University of Indianapolis) and lineman Ryan Pryzbilla (Ferris State).

Schreiber has many holes to fill, losing nine starters on defense and seven on offense.

Dual threat Rodney Washington will lead the offense. The big quarterback (6-3, 215 pounds) "is a force who can stretch the field or run over people," Schreiber said. "He's very strong and fast. We're working to develop other ball carriers."

He likely found some last spring as track coach.

"I know kids from track," he said. "Lots of sprinters and throwers play football. We're trying to coordinate the programs, work them together."

The social studies teacher knows the significance of history and culture, and how success makes future wins easier.

"We don't want the program to step back," he said. "Our goal and challenge is to be a winning team. The seniors want to continue the upswing. But it will take a team effort.

"We just finished our first of three weeks of two-a-days. On paper we're actually stronger at some spots. I like this group. The offense is ahead of the defense, which doesn't have much experience. We're pretty much starting from scratch."

Schreiber believes in option football, a change from last year's power scheme and short passing game. He has the right quarterback.

"It's a different philosophy with similar terms and packages," he said.

Defensively, he'll use a 4-3 base rather than last fall's 4-4 and 3-4, again "with some carryover." As for the old sloppy Wolves' ways, "We work every day on fundamentals and pay close attention to detail like the position of hands and feet. There's not much room for error," Schreiber said.

Impatient himself, he knows how fickle fans can be.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 12 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #11

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/20...8d649707737.txt

Washington, Hirsch make marks

City’s Joel Hirsch (5) handles the snap in the shot gun formation during Saturday’s Michigan City Blue-Gray Scrimmage at Ames Field. N-D Photo by Scott Allen.
Michigan City Scrimmage: Blue 13, Gray 8
By Drew White
Staff Writer
Published: Monday, August 9, 2010 5:10 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Rodney Washington didn’t play as much as one would think he would Saturday night, but he sure made it count when he did.

Washington hit Robert Coursel in stride for a 52-yard touchdown strike with just over two minutes remaining in the fourth quarter to help lead his Blue squad to a 13-8 win over the Gray in the annual Michigan City High School intrasquad game at Ames Field.

“It was pretty much me telling him to take advantage of the corner and I threw the ball inside,” Washington said of the late game-winning toss. “They were down and tired so we just took a shot down the field.”

While Washington’s pass was the lasting impression, Gray quarterback Joel Hirsch put together a solid performance rushing 94 yards

on 14 carries and completing four passes for 120 yards. As a sophomore last season, Hirsch served as Washington’s backup and filled in admirably when Washington sat out injured for several games.

Hirsch’s success Saturday night has presented first-year Wolves head coach Eric Schreiber with a predicament.

“We don’t want to have either of those guys standing on the sideline,” Schreiber said. “Joel’s been learning some other positions and Rodney can play some other positions as well. Whether one is playing quarterback and the other is playing wideout.

“Somehow it is going to have to work itself out. It is a nice problem to have.”

Michigan City’s biggest concern entering this season involves replacing a senior class that helped lead the Wolves to a 6-4 record in 2009, and specifically patching the holes made in the City defense.

Saturday night, Schreiber said he thought his players made strides in addressing those questions.

“We have a lot of guys that are filling holes, so any game-like situation they can get in is going to benefit us,” Schreiber said. “What I liked was the spirit of the kids, the competitiveness and the energy level.

“Adam Harmon is not in that huddle anymore. Ryan Isaac is not in that huddle anymore. These guys need to step up and be those guys. I think tonight we started to see that.”

While Schreiber admitted plenty of work remains, he thought the performance of his defensive players exceeded his expectations.

“I thought we tackled better tonight than I thought we might,” Schreiber said. “We were really poor tackling even just a few weeks ago. The competitiveness, the attitude that we saw tonight, that’s going to help us on defense.”

The Gray opened its scoring in the first half when Mark Pavlock sacked a scrambling Washington in the endzone for a safety. Anthony Catchings added a 32-yard touchdown run later in the game.

The Blue team’s first score of the game came on a three-yard run by Giorgio Karallas.

Hirsch was by far the biggest workhorse of the game. He ran the spread option well and his only mistake was an interception on the game’s final drive.

“I thought I did okay, but I think I could’ve done better,” Hirsch said. “I made some bad reads, but with more reps, it is going to come more natural.”

Schreiber’s son, Eric Schreiber Jr., actually saw the majority of snaps behind center for the Blue Saturday night. Schreiber said his desire to develop depth led to Washington’s decreased playing time.

“We don’t have a ton of quarterbacks right now,” Schreiber said. “We want to develop as much depth as possible.”

Washington’s final pass did leave a positive taste in not only Schreiber’s mouth, but that of the team.

“Rodney needed the practice. I’m glad he had that extra drive coming back down,” Schreiber said. “Looking back, I probably would’ve liked to have gotten him some extra snaps.”

The Wolves will travel to New Prairie for a scrimmage on Friday before opening the season at Ames Field the following Friday against Gary Roosevelt.

Contact sports writer Drew White at dwhite@thenewsdispatch.com or 874-7211, Ext. 447.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Aug 12 2010, 11:53 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 10

I was wondering if he was the same Schreiber from Griffith. I was thinking he was, he coached my oldest son at Griffith. My son really admired him and always spoke very highly of him.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 12 2010, 12:02 PM
Post #13

Yes he is. I like this guy a lot too. Talking to him he really thinks about life off of the field for his kids, as well as on it. He shares a lot of my community based sports feelings. I think we might see a slow start this year because graduation from last years team is going to hit hard, but the program itself is going the right way.

I got about 6.5 minutes worth of an interview with him that should be on WIMS soon, along with interviews with about a half a dozen of the key players coming into this season including Washington, Hirsch, Martorano, Moore, Woolum, and some others. I'll let you guys know if I find out when it is supposed to be played.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 12 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 12 2010, 01:02 PM) *

Yes he is. I like this guy a lot too. Talking to him he really thinks about life off of the field for his kids, as well as on it. He shares a lot of my community based sports feelings. I think we might see a slow start this year because graduation from last years team is going to hit hard, but the program itself is going the right way.

I got about 6.5 minutes worth of an interview with him that should be on WIMS soon, along with interviews with about a half a dozen of the key players coming into this season including Washington, Hirsch, Martorano, Moore, Woolum, and some others. I'll let you guys know if I find out when it is supposed to be played.
I'm really happy to see coach Schrieber has a son on the team, that means that he has not only come here to teach and coach football but has choose to make Michigan City him and his family's home.

I posted some video footage of Saturday's inner-squad scrimmage one the CBTL facebook page. I was really impressed. I saw nothing but a bunch of smiling, clean cut young men representing their school and community out on the gridiron.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Aug 13 2010, 09:25 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

I don't think he has moved to MC yet. I think he stills lives in Griffith.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 13 2010, 09:38 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Aug 13 2010, 10:25 AM) *

I don't think he has moved to MC yet. I think he stills lives in Griffith.

He does still live over there, but his son is a freshman QB.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 13 2010, 04:10 PM
Post #17

After I am done with the radio show, I am heading out Rolling Prarie for the scrimmage... if anyone else is out there, stop by and say hi!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 20 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #18

Wolves beat Roosevelt 49-0 in a blow out, that wasn't even that close. The defense was very good tonight, especially for a group that was almost all new. Touchdowns tonight for Rodney Washington from both 21 and 1 yards, Arthur Williams a 35 yard INT return, Bell 4 yd run, Kreighbaum 36 yards from Washington, Karallas 19 yd run, and Brock Moore 20 yd run. The Wolves created 5 turnovers, including 2 INTs. City goes 1-0 on the season.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Aug 21 2010, 01:25 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Aug 20 2010, 10:20 PM) *

Wolves beat Roosevelt 49-0 in a blow out, that wasn't even that close. The defense was very good tonight, especially for a group that was almost all new. Touchdowns tonight for Rodney Washington from both 21 and 1 yards, Arthur Williams a 35 yard INT return, Bell 4 yd run, Kreighbaum 36 yards from Washington, Karallas 19 yd run, and Brock Moore 20 yd run. The Wolves created 5 turnovers, including 2 INTs. City goes 1-0 on the season.
It was great hearing Paul Kopanski give the breakdown of the game on the RRSN scoreboard show last night.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 21 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Aug 21 2010, 02:25 PM) *

It was great hearing Paul Kopanski give the breakdown of the game on the RRSN scoreboard show last night.

yeah, it was a very thin media day up there. Only Paul, WIMS, and ALCO were up there.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:28 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com