post Apr 26 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news1.txt

LaBorn will retire from MCAS

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

When Fred LaBorn's retirement letter came up for a vote Tuesday night, one member of the Michigan City Area Schools board suggested members seriously consider refusing to accept it.

Although the effort failed, and LaBorn will retire at the end of the school year, board vice president Jim Kintzele wanted to know if LaBorn was “nudged” toward retirement by Superintendent Michael Harding.

The school administration recommended LaBorn's retirement be accepted, but Harding was absent from Tuesday's meeting.

Kintzele moved to reject LaBorn's request.

“Fred was a savior for our school corporation when he stepped in as acting superintendent,” Kintzele said. “I believe Fred has many more years to give to students and the community.” He called LaBorn the best principal and the best teacher he has known.

LaBorn, who served on the board from 1996 until July 2003 when Superintendent Linda Anast retired, left the board then to become interim superintendent. He served for a year until Harding was hired in 2004.

At that time, Kintzele reminded the board Tuesday, “We made an agreement that said Fred would continue to serve MCAS in an administrative capacity for three years.” The end of that three-year period comes at the end of the school year.

LaBorn left his position as director of elementary education with Portage Township Schools to take the temporary MCAS job when he was 56. He also had served as a principal for MCAS and in LaPorte. He began his career in what now is the administrative center, the former Riley Elementary School.

Since Harding arrived, LaBorn has served as head of student services and director of communication. Most recently, he was made director of personnel and labor relations. So far, no one has said who might be taking on LaBorn's responsibilities.

“I heartily agree,” Board President Jeff Jones said, “but I have been led to believe that his retirement was his choice.”

LaBorn stopped the discussion. “I am very honored by what Mr. Kintzele has said. I love my city and I love my school corporation. Although I am flattered by your kind words, my retirement (information) has been sent to the state and it has been processed.”

LaBorn said he has some health issues to resolve, but added he wouldn't be surprised to find himself serving the community at another time.

Contact reporter Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 26 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

There goes any hope for MCAS.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 26 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

harding may have nudged leborn out?? If the ND has something to accuse harding of, they should be forthright and spell it out. I am no fan of Harding, but innuendo is not acceptable.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 27 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

bump
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:58 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com