> Olive Garden coming to MC
Southsider2k12
post Jan 12 2009, 01:09 PM
Post #21

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(lbl @ Jan 12 2009, 12:55 PM) *

Thanks for posting that correctly...I forgot to mention I got the Stemmler quote from Saturday's N-D.

No proble, that's what I am here for smile.gif
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 4 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #22

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=20784

Union workers picket Olive Garden work site

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Mike Campbell believes the new Olive Garden on Franklin Street is being unfairly built using out-of-state, non-union contractors.

That's why Campbell, Laborers Union Local 81 president, and a dozen or more pickets lined the restaurant's construction site Tuesday.

"We pay taxes here," Campbell said. "We were going to eat here, but not if we don't get to do the work."

Dan McGlothin, a local organizer for Local 81, expressed similar sentiments.

"We ask that people from out of town not break down the community and our (standard) of living," he said. "We want to keep the good jobs in the community."

Campbell said Tuesday was only the first of many pickets over several days planned. Today, Carpenters Union members are expected to be at the site.

When asked how long the group planned to picket, Campbell answered, "As long as we need to be."

Iron Workers 395 from Hammond, Ind., joined the pickets Tuesday. Member Michael Rivera said he was told the company would hire laborers from their union. When he came to see the work site, however, he learned that was not the case.

Olive Garden spokeswoman Mara Frazier has said parent company Darden Restaurants Inc. is using "qualified union and open shop laborers."

On Tuesday, she said, "Those contractors are from across the state of Indiana, as well as the Midwest."

As for why union and non-union contractors were used, Frazier said bids were collected, and the company chose the appropriate labor according to the bids.

"Pricing for every trade was not competitive," she said.

Frazier said the restaurant is still scheduled to open in June.
+Quote Post
lbl
post Feb 5 2009, 11:46 AM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 862

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Feb 4 2009, 10:15 AM) *

Why, Mr. Campbell, would you eat there? Stick to your guns--Laborers and Iron Workers!
Will you or your constituents make money from NOT working on the project? No...you won't. So, why would anyone from Michigan City eat there? The money will funnel right out of town. Plus, for more than half the price you can buy Bertolli's at local grocery stores and make better tasting dishes.

Don't say you'll boycott, do it!

C'mon MC, if we want to control it, we have to own it. We have to help each other out. Repeat after me:
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
Eat at Locally OWNED restaurants!
+Quote Post
kharris
post Feb 5 2009, 12:09 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(lbl @ Feb 5 2009, 11:46 AM) *

Why, Mr. Campbell, would you eat there? Stick to your guns--Laborers and Iron Workers!
Will you or your constituents make money from NOT working on the project? No...you won't. So, why would anyone from Michigan City eat there? The money will funnel right out of town. Plus, for more than half the price you can buy Bertolli's at local grocery stores and make better tasting dishes.

Don't say you'll boycott, do it!

C'mon MC, if we want to control it, we have to own it. We have to help each other out. Repeat after me:
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.

You kn ow, we heard all the same arguments when the original Walmart was bing built by non-union contractors. At the time, all the unions and their members swore they would never shop Walmart. I didn't see that holding true at the time, and I don't see a boycott happening in this instance either.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 5 2009, 12:38 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10

It's unfortunate but true.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
lbl
post Feb 6 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 5 2009, 12:38 PM) *

It's unfortunate but true.

Well, say your goodbyes to the last locally owned dining spot on the south end. sad.gif

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Feb 6 2009, 09:48 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(lbl @ Feb 6 2009, 07:53 AM) *

Well, say your goodbyes to the last locally owned dining spot on the south end. sad.gif

I am assuming you are referring to Rodini's, as that would be the closest style to the Olive Garden. Is that correct? I am not sure what will happen, but believe that there may very well be room for both. Some of the tourists will feel more comfortable with chains and some will prefer local eateries.

I am a newbie and not sure who owns what. However I was thinking that Holly's is also locally owned and even some of the chains that are often disparaged are franchised and some of the franchise owners are locals, are they not?

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Feb 6 2009, 09:48 AM) *

I am assuming you are referring to Rodini's, as that would be the closest style to the Olive Garden. Is that correct? I am not sure what will happen, but believe that there may very well be room for both. Some of the tourists will feel more comfortable with chains and some will prefer local eateries.

I am a newbie and not sure who owns what. However I was thinking that Holly's is also locally owned and even some of the chains that are often disparaged are franchised and some of the franchise owners are locals, are they not?

Holly's is locally owned, as is Rodini's.
+Quote Post
CaddyRich
post Feb 6 2009, 10:05 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 756

QUOTE(lbl @ Feb 6 2009, 08:53 AM) *

Between Rodini's and the "Endless Salad and Breadstick" drivel, I'll take Rodini's any day.

Signature Bar
"If a man opens the car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife." - Duke of Edinburgh.
+Quote Post
lbl
post Feb 6 2009, 10:15 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Feb 6 2009, 09:48 AM) *

Yes, I am referring to Rodini's (although the styles are about as similar as a cucumber is to a strawberry).

There are some locally owned chains around there-Buffalo Wings, McDonald's, Schoop's (sort of), but Holly's is North of 20 and very few travelers venture north of 20 if they're not coming here for a reason. If my comments sound disparaging, it's only because the family eateries have invested their lives (money, time, generations, charity, literally blood, literally sweat, and literally tears) and I know they are feeling the squeeze. The city has never offered tax breaks, incentives, or assistance like it has to the larger chains that settle here. Now, when the economy is the worst and business is down, the family eateries are still contributing to local schools, social programs, pageants, benefits, and the list goes on. They do so because they believe in Michigan City. it's a bitter pill to watch the city practically give away land, liquor licenses, and offer tax incentives to companies who don't have or keep money here.

When the local restaurants raise prices to try and keep up, there are complaints. Please folks, they are trying to stay open to continue to support Michigan City. Heck, the price of dinner (specials-entrees only) at The Olive Garden for 4 is at least $70...without a beer or wine. You can get that in town, at a locally owned restuarant.

Or, just ignore me...I may be completely out of line...

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
+Quote Post
IndyTransplant
post Feb 6 2009, 10:30 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

Member No.: 870

QUOTE(lbl @ Feb 6 2009, 10:15 AM) *

Yes, I am referring to Rodini's (although the styles are about as similar as a cucumber is to a strawberry).

There are some locally owned chains around there-Buffalo Wings, McDonald's, Schoop's (sort of), but Holly's is North of 20 and very few travelers venture north of 20 if they're not coming here for a reason.. it's a bitter pill to watch the city practically give away land, liquor licenses, and offer tax incentives to companies who don't have or keep money here.

Do not want to ignore you and you are very much in line. I sometimes get a little concerned that people do not realize that some of the franchises are locally owned and definitely provide local jobs which also contribute to MC's economy and future. Thanks for providing a list of some of the locally owned franchises. I am already well recognized at BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings). After all how many 50+ year old ladies are regulars at a spot that attracts the younger set? LOL.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as where things should change and that is at the government level giving away incentives for large chains. The tax base is better served if all are kept at the same level. Of course as long as other cities and states offer these, the govt thinks we need to do so to compete. Maybe Michigan City and the State of Indiana should try a new tack - offer the incentives to locally owned small businesses that would allow them (probably should make that require them over a period of years, as a condition) to reinvest and expand. Then the new jobs would indeed be coming from the local sector.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the info (both you and Southsider) on who is locally owned.

Signature Bar

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759
+Quote Post
kharris
post Feb 6 2009, 11:06 AM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(IndyTransplant @ Feb 6 2009, 10:30 AM) *

Do not want to ignore you and you are very much in line. I sometimes get a little concerned that people do not realize that some of the franchises are locally owned and definitely provide local jobs which also contribute to MC's economy and future. Thanks for providing a list of some of the locally owned franchises. I am already well recognized at BW3 (Buffalo Wild Wings). After all how many 50+ year old ladies are regulars at a spot that attracts the younger set? LOL.

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as where things should change and that is at the government level giving away incentives for large chains. The tax base is better served if all are kept at the same level. Of course as long as other cities and states offer these, the govt thinks we need to do so to compete. Maybe Michigan City and the State of Indiana should try a new tack - offer the incentives to locally owned small businesses that would allow them (probably should make that require them over a period of years, as a condition) to reinvest and expand. Then the new jobs would indeed be coming from the local sector.

Thanks for the comments and thanks for the info (both you and Southsider) on who is locally owned.

I may have said this before ... or maybe someone else did ... I do certain ly understand your stand supporting locally owned as opposed to a chain. The profits of the chain may indeed leave town, but let's not forget that the chain does employ local residents. They may not pay a "livable" wage, but then what restaurant does. The way I see it, if local folks are able to make some kind of a paycheck, then leave the chains alone.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 6 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #33

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

With all of the above being said, please realize that the same holds true in the grocery business. Al's has been in our county for a number of years, and like the Fegaras family, the Pontius family is known for their generosity and long standing commitments to our community.

As companies like Wal-Mart, Save-A-Lot, or other chain stores come about and offer loss leaders to draw you in, they don't offer nearly the same support to our community in general.

I'll stay a loyal Al's shopper. As lbl so eloquently "said" it:
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.
Buy Local; Eat local.

This post has been edited by JHeath: Feb 6 2009, 01:29 PM
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 6 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #34

There are some locally owned chains around there-Buffalo Wings, McDonald's, Schoop's (sort of), but Holly's is North of 20 and very few travelers venture north of 20 if they're not coming here for a reason. If my comments sound disparaging, it's only because the family eateries have invested their lives (money, time, generations, charity, literally blood, literally sweat, and literally tears) and I know they are feeling the squeeze. The city has never offered tax breaks, incentives, or assistance like it has to the larger chains that settle here. Now, when the economy is the worst and business is down, the family eateries are still contributing to local schools, social programs, pageants, benefits, and the list goes on. They do so because they believe in Michigan City. it's a bitter pill to watch the city practically give away land, liquor licenses, and offer tax incentives to companies who don't have or keep money here.

When the local restaurants raise prices to try and keep up, there are complaints. Please folks, they are trying to stay open to continue to support Michigan City. Heck, the price of dinner (specials-entrees only) at The Olive Garden for 4 is at least $70...without a beer or wine. You can get that in town, at a locally owned restuarant.

Again, where is the Chamber of Commerce in all of this? There should be no reason that people don't know who is locally owned and who isn't in a community of our size. In reality there should be some big obnoxious "buy local" campaign going on, especially with the state of the economy right now. There should be no missing it.
+Quote Post
Michelle
post Feb 6 2009, 01:47 PM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 787

Heck, the price of dinner (specials-entrees only) at The Olive Garden for 4 is at least $70...without a beer or wine.

It's been considerably cheaper when I've gone there--more like $45 for 4--but I usually go for some of the cheaper entrees (as does my party, apparently). I'm sure it could be that expensive, but it can definitely be cheaper than $70.

/nittiness
+Quote Post
Homey
post Feb 6 2009, 06:29 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 826

I haven't been to Olive Garden for years. (Mostly I avoid the bottle neck traffic in Merrillville).

To be honest, I went there for the soup, salad and breadsticks. The rest of the menu looks too high fat and artery clogging smile.gif

But with the big box stores, Meijers, Menards, McDonalds etc...they usually have their own contracting companies build their stores, right? They don't buy vacant propertiies and transform them...which would be nice.

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 9 2009, 07:50 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Homey @ Feb 6 2009, 06:29 PM) *

I haven't been to Olive Garden for years. (Mostly I avoid the bottle neck traffic in Merrillville).

To be honest, I went there for the soup, salad and breadsticks. The rest of the menu looks too high fat and artery clogging smile.gif

But with the big box stores, Meijers, Menards, McDonalds etc...they usually have their own contracting companies build their stores, right? They don't buy vacant propertiies and transform them...which would be nice.

For large corporations they take advantage of the depreciation on a new building to write off against corporate taxes. That's why you don't see the largest chains move into abandoned buildings, and instead it is usually local or smaller chains that can't afford the building projects.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 11 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #38

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=20952

More pickets, more trouble

Joseph Malan
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - A standoff between police and union pickets at the Olive Garden construction site ended with police arresting one union member early Tuesday afternoon, but he was released after union members suspended their picketing and removed the union "rat," a fixture at union picket lines when protesting the use of non-union labor.

Additionally, an earth-mover owned by Olive Garden contractor Derek Engineering General Contractors, Cincinnati, was found burned early Tuesday inside the construction site on south Franklin Street, but the fire wasn't linked to the clash between union and non-union sides in the dispute. The Michigan City Fire Department said the fire was started because of an electrical failure on the truck.

Frank Rubino, a member of Local 81 of the Laborers Union, said he didn't know how the fire started. He said he saw the piece of equipment out in front of the construction tent when he arrived at 7 a.m. already burned.

"To me, it looks like it was sitting in the sun too long," Rubino remarked. "(The contracted workers) were pretty upset and disgruntled about it."

John Regal, an organizer of the labor union, also didn't know what happened to the earth mover, and was unsure when the vehicle had been pulled out from under the tent.

Tuesday afternoon police arrived at the construction site after getting reports the union workers were interfering with traffic. According to Mike Campbell, president of Laborers Union Local 81, union members were walking a picket line, but "four police officers pushed our guys around."

"They took one to jail as an example, I guess," Campbell said. He said that the pickets were walking continuously back and forth in a public easement in front of the work site gate. "We were just exercising our constitutional rights," he said. As long as the pickets keep moving, they are not obstructing movement, he said, though when asked if the pickets intentionally wanted to make it hard for a truck to leave, he said "Yes."

The pickets kept the truck from leaving the work site for about 15 minutes, Campbell said, but the police raised their arms and physically pushed the pickets to clear the entrance. However, one of the men kept walking in front of the truck.

That union member was handcuffed and taken downtown. After the confrontation with police, Campbell said, the union workers agreed to remove their pickets and the rat "in return for no charges being filed against Charlie."

Michigan City Police Assistant Chief Mark Swistek told a slightly different story.

"[The pickets] weren't allowing workers to leave the site," Swistek said. "We detained an individual who was quite unruly at the time and interfering with officers who were present. He was taken away from the scene and separately talked to."

Swistek said he got a call from Ryan's early Tuesday afternoon about pickets blocking the entrance to the restaurant.

"We just wanted to assist the safety of citizens who were coming and going from the area."

Gabriel Macias, manager for Ryan's, said he was bothered by the pickets, as were his customers.

"They're just upset because they're blocking the entrance," he said. He thought the pickets were causing customers not to come to the restaurant.

"People want Ryan's and they know what the food is about," he said, "But people who are [curious about Ryan's] come and they see this outside, they're going to another store."

Campbell complained that his men on the picket line were offended because a non-union truck driver, who was trying to leave, unleashed several profanities at them.

The members of the Laborers Union and the other craft unions who have been picketing at Olive Garden live in the community, work in the community and pay taxes here, Campbell said, but the out-of-state workers brought in for the project do not pay taxes here.

"My men have been out of work for four months," Campbell said. "They are being replaced by non-union workers who are not even making a living wage."

"Union laborers would get $31 and change per hour plus benefits," he said.

He said he is on the pension board of the Laborers Union and is going to recommend that his union divest itself of shares in Darden Restaurants Inc., the company that owns Olive Garden. He said various craft unions hold 868,000 shares of the company.

He said the unions succeeded in getting the company to hire union labor to build an Olive Garden in Merrillville, "but they never had any intention of working with us here."

Dave Hawk contributed to this report.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Feb 11 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #39

Member No.: 10

Two words:

Grow UP.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
lbl
post Feb 11 2009, 02:34 PM
Post #40

QUOTE(Ang @ Feb 11 2009, 11:42 AM) *

Two words:

Grow UP.

I'm not sure I understand your comment, Ang? Protest is inherently part of the American process. Would you mind expanding...or not, if you don't care to.

Signature Bar
Buy Local!
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 06:17 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com