IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flowers Everywhere, Very important poll
Guess the Date that the First Croquis Appears
On What Date Will the First Croquis Flower?
By This Friday, 3/7 [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
3/8-3/9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3/10-3/11 [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
3/12-3/13 [ 2 ] ** [20.00%]
3/14-3/15 [ 3 ] ** [30.00%]
3/16-3/17 [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
Aren't Croquis Illegal? [ 2 ] ** [20.00%]
For Those of You Who Do Not Know a Croquis From Hokus Pokus, How About the First Daffodil?
By Next Monday, 3/10 [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
3/11-3/13 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3/14-3/16 [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
3/17-3/19 [ 2 ] ** [20.00%]
3/20-3/22 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3/23-3/25 [ 2 ] ** [20.00%]
3/26-3/28 [ 2 ] ** [20.00%]
3/29-4/1 [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
4/2 or Later [ 1 ] ** [10.00%]
Total Votes: 20
Guests cannot vote 
Marram
post Mar 5 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 505

Very important question. So important I risked running late for school to write it.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 5 2008, 07:45 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Where is the option for..."whenever Mayor Daley tells them to plant them"?

Or

"Who cares, what really matters is who hits the first home run of the year"

laugh.gif

Yes spring, when a boy's thoughts turn to fancy of baseball...
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Mar 5 2008, 08:54 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I'm in Asheville NC and the crokus here have just popped up.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 5 2008, 10:01 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 10

My daughter was born on March 31st. At the time, we lived on 525 just off 35 (Behind Shirley's Amoco). Our driveway was lined with some kind of flowers. We weren't sure what they were (we rented that place and it was our first spring there) but judging by the leaves, we thought maybe they were lilys.
So, my daughter was born at 6:15 am. About 8, my ex-husband left the hospital and went home. At 8:30 he called to tell me that every single flower in our driveway bloomed-EVERY SINGLE ONE. They were, in fact, lilys. I had planned to name my little girl Emily. However, after all the lilys bloomed the day she was born, I decided to name her Lillie.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 5 2008, 06:39 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

I voted 3/12-13 and 3/26-3/28. My mother was/is a consumate gardner. First come the croquis, then the hyacinths, then the daffodils, and then the tulips. The croquises have bloomed as early as late February, but things are a little slow this year. Still, they're already up: they look like little pieces of grass that come together near the ground. Two or three warmer days will spring 'em.

Signature Bar
"The country needs and, unless I mistake its temper, the country demands bold, persistent experimentation. It is common sense to take a method and try it: If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Oglethorpe University Commencement Address (22 May 1932)
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 6 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

BTW, we're talking MC here, not NC (or ND for that matter). We all know ad nauseum that spring has already started down south. wink.gif Obviously, flower shops and greenhouses don't count either. The first official croquis has to be in Michigan City, outside, uncovered and in full bloom. Look on the south side of houses and buildings, in the sun, close to the structure; and let us know when you find one.

Oh, this is so exciting!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 6 2008, 05:09 PM
Post #7

I guess you'll have to count me out on this one. wink.gif

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 6 2008, 09:09 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 6 2008, 05:09 PM) *

I guess you'll have to count me out on this one. wink.gif

I suppose since you're about the same lattitude as us, an allowance could be made. At the very least, you can throw your hat into the ring with a guess.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 7 2008, 09:49 AM
Post #9

Same latitude, different altitude. We are at 5500 feet above sea level. It's very arid here, too. We are considered high desert. I don't think daffodils even grow here except at the florist or someone's back yard (with a lot of TLC, too I might add). Now, we can talk about sage and cactus if you like. wink.gif Some of the cacti have the most beautiful pink flowers, but I don't recommend picking them.

I did vote. Since I know nothing about the first flower, I'm thinking they might be illegal (but then I would probably know something about them if they were laugh.gif ) and I'm guessing 3-23 - 3/25 for the daffodils.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 14 2008, 09:38 AM
Post #10

So, have any flowers bloomed?

Not here. Today it's snowing.

ICK

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 14 2008, 12:33 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 14 2008, 10:38 AM) *

So, have any flowers bloomed?

Not here. Today it's snowing.

ICK

We have crocuses (croci? crocae? ah, wikipedia says crocuses) peeking up out of the ground, no blooming yet though.
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 16 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Mar 14 2008, 12:33 PM) *

We have crocuses (croci? crocae? ah, wikipedia says crocuses) peeking up out of the ground, no blooming yet though.

Very close. I was in Cincinnati for a Michael Buble concert, and visited their zoo today before coming back home. They had some sort of bush in bloom, and their tulips were way out of the ground. I couldn't find any crocuses -- what's wrong with those Cincinnatians?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 20 2008, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

TADA!

One of my crocuses bloomed today. It was a golden yellow one near the house on the south side. So I guess the one person who voted for the last possible date on the poll wins. Shows what I knew: my poll didn't even include today's date. But, in my defense, this year it is really really late.

Daffodils next.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Marram
post Mar 22 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Crocus, Crocus
I watched you grow
and your flower did appear

Crocus, crocus
Where did you go?
Why did you disappear

Crocus, crocus
under the snow
I almost shed a tear

Crocus, crocus
Oh, there you go
what a crazy year!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 6 2008, 08:05 AM
Post #15

I must have lazy crocus's... They are just now blooming!
+Quote Post
Marram
post Apr 6 2008, 10:35 AM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 6 2008, 08:05 AM) *

I must have lazy crocus's... They are just now blooming!

Mine are in full glory now: a bunch of brilliant yellow crocuses shining like the sun and surrounded by a galaxy of royal purple ones.

Yours must not be on the south side of your house. You might think about transplanting some or buying some more and planting them on that side. That way you get to say hello to spring a little earlier.

Daffodils are right around the corner: definitely in the next 7 days.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 7 2008, 07:14 AM
Post #17

They are on the South and West corners of the house... maybe they were waiting for the first REAL sign of spring, baseball!
+Quote Post
Marram
post Apr 7 2008, 04:39 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 7 2008, 08:14 AM) *

They are on the South and West corners of the house... maybe they were waiting for the first REAL sign of spring, baseball!

Maybe they were waiting for you to watch a REAL baseball team...

like the CUBS.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 7 2008, 04:57 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Teach @ Apr 7 2008, 05:39 PM) *

Maybe they were waiting for you to watch a REAL baseball team...

like the CUBS.

Nah, they like teams that win World Series's and are in first place cool.gif
+Quote Post
Marram
post Apr 8 2008, 09:53 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 7 2008, 05:57 PM) *

Nah, they like teams that win World Series's and are in first place cool.gif

You forget that flowers thrive on fertilizers like manure.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:09 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com