Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2012/01/05...d2196459363.txt

Kora running for County Commission seat

By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, January 5, 2012 5:06 PM CST
MICHIGAN CITY — Dr. Vidya Kora, a physician and Michigan City Area Schools board member, announced Wednesday he will seek the Democratic nomination for La Porte County commissioner.

His focus is the seat now held by Commissioner Ken Layton, a Republican who has been on the board since 2009.

“My term on the school board ends at the end of this year,” Kora said. “When I ran for the school board, I said I wanted to see the schools get back on track. Now, with Dr. (Barbara) Eason-Watkins, I am confident that we are heading in the right direction ... I am proud of the team that I have helped to put in place during my term on the school board and want to bring my experience to county government.”

Kora emigrated to the United States 30 years ago and has lived in La Porte County for the past quarter century. He practices internal medicine at Franklin Clinic, which he founded. He was elected president of the Indiana State Medical Association in 2006. He said he planned to practice medicine as he has while serving in various other community service roles.

Kora said he would focus on job creation, a well-trained workforce and economic development if elected to county government service.

“School Superintendent Dr. Barbara Eason-Watkins and her leadership team understand that having quality schools and a well-trained workforce are key to economic development,” Kora added. “I believe I can assist now at the county level with a unified job creation effort.”

Kora said he believes “there is no higher priority for La Porte County than economic development and job creation.”

Before he was elected to the school board, Kora served eight years as La Porte County coroner. Kora also served eight years as chairman of the La Porte County Democratic Party.

He has been active in a variety of not-for-profit efforts in the county, including the Unity Foundation. He has been recognized for his work in organizing the Physicians Thanksgiving program, which provides food with which needy families can prepare Thanksgiving meals.

“I have been proud to serve on the Northern Indiana Regional Board of the Franciscan Alliance, helping to provide quality health care in this region,” Kora said.

After consulting with his wife, grown children and friends, Kora decided to run for the commissioner seat.

“It is only through education and economic development that we can regain our competitive position as a county,” Kora said. “The gridlock and dysfunction we see in Washington, D.C., has convinced me more than ever that we have to focus locally on what we can do to aid our employment situation.”
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:45 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com