Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...5a847418684.txt

Marina resident offended by profanity at loud concert

By Tim Moran
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Slip holders at the Washington Park marina were treated to live music Friday night, but it wasn’t the kind of music that at least one resident wanted to hear.

“That was disgusting language used by the band that night,” said Tim Hill of Portage, who lives on a boat in the Michigan City marina every summer.

The band was playing in the shelter adjacent to the marina parking lot around 8 p.m.

“The music was very, very loud,” Hill added. “A normal conversation was not possible inside the marina. The sound from the band was not only uncomfortably loud, but they were using language I felt was inappropriate.”

Hill said it seemed as though every other word out of the singer’s mouth was profanity.

The event was not organized by the city, but by an outside group that plans a yearly concert that usually coincides with the end of the school year.

Although the name of the band and the singer has not been released, Port Authority Harbormaster Tim Frame said he was told by the Parks Department that the group would not be invited back.

“They will not allow the band to come in here again,” Frame said.

As far as any changes to park policy when an outside band comes to play, Frame said the parks will “see if the bands that do come in here can re-position their speakers so the music does not come in as loud as it did ... We do not see the problem repeating itself in the future.”

Still, Hill and others who live on the marina during the summer believe the incident should not have occurred at all. He contends the issue of loud music has not been dealt with adequately during the time he has resided in the marina.

“The parks have been aware of noise issues for a few years now, but they refuse to turn the speakers down,” Hill said. “If they are going to have a music festival, that’s fine, but I do not want to hear it on my boat.”

He also said he felt “no one in the city had a sympathetic ear to my concern,” after voicing his complaint to the Parks Department, the mayor’s office and the Michigan City Police Department.

Attempts to contact Michigan City Parks Department Superintendent Jan Orlich Monday were unsuccessful.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:18 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com