IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trump/Pence 2nd betrayal of Indiana, Great Lakes Protection funding cut by 97%
Mike D
post Mar 7 2017, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,457

I took this one from the Chicago Tribune - not exactly a bastion of liberal viewpoint

Great Lakes Funding to be cut 97% against GOP supporters

DNR is a recipient of these funds, split between the 3 counties. Since it is not broken out, it is suspected that we'd lose a few million dollars and of course the services to protect out 41 mile coastline.

Go ahead - tell me how wonderful this is for us Hoosiers!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
exsteel5
post Mar 7 2017, 10:29 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,466

QUOTE(Mike D @ Mar 7 2017, 08:00 AM) *

I took this one from the Chicago Tribune - not exactly a bastion of liberal viewpoint

DNR is a recipient of these funds, split between the 3 counties. Since it is not broken out, it is suspected that we'd lose a few million dollars and of course the services to protect out 41 mile coastline.

You are still not getting it. Think smaller government. How about they cut the federal spend by 100%, then cut our federal taxes, raise our state taxes a little and have Hoosiers protect our Hoosier shoreline. No brainer there. Also, the DNR needs to take a huge budget cut, as they are too big for their britches. They drive around in brand new vehicles, they need to manage what they have way better and cut expenses.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Mar 8 2017, 10:33 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(Mike D @ Mar 7 2017, 08:00 AM) *

Where is the Republican support in Indiana. It sure isn't in the 3 counties along the lakefront. Wouldn't surprise me one bit, you need to get smaller government and reduce regulations.
+Quote Post
outsider
post Mar 8 2017, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,288

QUOTE(exsteel5 @ Mar 7 2017, 11:29 AM) *

You are still not getting it. Think smaller government. How about they cut the federal spend by 100%, then cut our federal taxes, raise our state taxes a little and have Hoosiers protect our Hoosier shoreline. No brainer there. Also, the DNR needs to take a huge budget cut, as they are too big for their britches. They drive around in brand new vehicles, they need to manage what they have way better and cut expenses.

You said the DNR needs to manage what they have way better and cut expenses? Do you really live in Indiana? The DNR is way under staffed in enforcement, biologists, informational, and administrative positions resulting from year-after-year cuts for almost 12 years. The DNR provides less and less information for hunters and fisherman each year. It takes more than five years to schedule a biology study on an Indiana lake because there are not enough biologists. Hunters and fisherman with questions are generally forced to call someone several counties away for answers. Hoosiers with questions about invasive species don't receive calls back for weeks.

As far as Hoosiers protecting our own shoreline, Indianapolis hardly even knows about Lake Michigan. Mitch Daniels approved a large mercury release by BP into Lake Michigan during his administration and loosened waste and pollution standards within the Lake Michigan watershed.

I don't know anyone's age on this forum. But those of us old enough to remember Lake Michigan in the mid 1960's through the late 1970's remember a very polluted lake.
+Quote Post
exsteel5
post Mar 8 2017, 11:47 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,466

QUOTE(outsider @ Mar 8 2017, 10:50 AM) *

You said the DNR needs to manage what they have way better and cut expenses? Do you really live in Indiana? The DNR is way under staffed in enforcement, biologists, informational, and administrative positions resulting from year-after-year cuts for almost 12 years. The DNR provides less and less information for hunters and fisherman each year. It takes more than five years to schedule a biology study on an Indiana lake because there are not enough biologists. Hunters and fisherman with questions are generally forced to call someone several counties away for answers. Hoosiers with questions about invasive species don't receive calls back for weeks.

As far as Hoosiers protecting our own shoreline, Indianapolis hardly even knows about Lake Michigan. Mitch Daniels approved a large mercury release by BP into Lake Michigan during his administration and loosened waste and pollution standards within the Lake Michigan watershed.

I don't know anyone's age on this forum. But those of us old enough to remember Lake Michigan in the mid 1960's through the late 1970's remember a very polluted lake.

You just supported my point about the DNR. 5 years to schedule a Biology study? First, why do we want to spend money on a study, second, government is so bloated, the people to do the study are there, but they only work about 4 hours a day and get much vacation, so it will take longer to get things done. They need more cuts. Why does a hunter or fisherman need to call anyone? That information is on the internet. I am surprised it only takes weeks to get answers about invasive species. Have you ever had to deal with similar government agencies like the IRS. It can takes months to get an answer out of them, unless of course you owe money. Smaller government, smaller government smaller government. We really don't even need a DNR if we did not have so many regulations, but I would not go that far. However, if you did cut the number of regulations, we could get to a skeleton staff at the DNR The government should only be for roads and military, that is about it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:27 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com