Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://heraldargus.com/archives/ha/display.php?id=374860

Naughty innuendo
Comment on this story

Judith Avery, 1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13855, javery@heraldargus.com

Footlight Players wink along with delighted audience MICHIGAN CITY -- Nobody’s perfect, and that’s OK.

The every day trials and tribulations of romantic or not-so-romantic relationships are being portrayed in the comedy “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change.” The clever production opened last night at Footlight Theatre, 1705 Franklin St.

This play is a hilarious musical that explores the facts of being single, dating, marriage, loss and heartbreak at such a fast pace that by the time you “get it” and begin laughing, another “fact” is already being presented.

All the sexually explicit innuendos are as tastefully presented as possible, leaving one thought at the end of the show -- are they talking about me?

This no-holds-barred, not quite and yet bawdy production that hits so close to home for adult audience members is under the direction of Robert Komendera. All situations are hysterically presented in one skit after another by an outstanding cast.

Christine Wiegand and Ray Walters start off the evening with “Not Tonight, I’m Busy, Busy, Busy.” The couple meets for the first time, and quickly suggests skipping the first date, the first intimacy, the first argument and getting right to the final breakup in the blink of an eye, starting the convoluted thought process that continues joyfully throughout the evening.

Noel Carlson and Mary Kay Steele are a perfectly matched set of nerds in “A Stud and a Babe.” Their voices blend pleasantly throughout several presentations in the production. Noel’s rendition of “Shouldn’t I Be Less in Love With You?” is heartwarmingly presented, leaving an “aww ” feeling at the end.

Mary Kay’s great sound presented the story of each of her songs so well. Her tone is rich and either stands out or blends easily with all the other performers’ voices.

Sherry VerWey, who also sings a lovely phrase, wowed everyone with a narration, “The Very First Dating Video of Rose Ritz.” She starts slowly, builds to a crescendo and tells it like it is, definitely getting everyone’s attention.

Mike McCalment plays a wide range of characters, from a macho dude in “Why? ’Cause I’m a Guy” with Walters to an old man pretty much set in his only slightly offensive ways in “I Can Live With That,” with Wiegand. He, along with the others, is impressive with swift character transitions in the fast-paced scenes -- there are 11 scenes in the first act and nine in the second.

Kathy Chase rounds out the cast, adding a mature appeal with interesting little twists of her own in a few situations.

The scenic design by William Wild and Komendera worked well throughout the entire time. The design was kept simple, allowing for quick changes for the various skits, never interfering with the smooth flow of things on stage.

Of special note is the exceptional talent of a very young and yet very mature musical director, Grahm Bailey. Having turned the tender age of 16 during rehearsal of this production, he shows maturity beyond his years. This was his first time at Footlight Theatre and it was nice to hear such an accomplished artist. Hopefully he will be putting in more appearances at the theatre.

The debauchery continues tonight and April 13 to 15 and 20 to 22. Curtain times are 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday with 2 p.m. matinees on Sundays. Doors open 15 minutes prior to curtain.

This is definitely one for a mature audience only.

Tickets are $10 per person and no credit cards are accepted.

Reservations are recommended and may be made at the Footlight Theatre box office by calling 219-874-4035.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 2 2007, 02:19 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

this was the first thing I have been to in a very long time. Well done, good performances, and the music was unbelievably excellent, not just good. What a talented Graham Bailey.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:35 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com