IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michigan City High School Enrollment Figure Continue to Plummet, Why did 208 students of the class of 2014 vanish?
taxthedeer
post Feb 26 2013, 02:34 PM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

In 2011 there were 611 freshmen that entered Michigan City High School, of those 611 that were freshmen in 2011 there are now 403 remaining as juniors today.

Why did we lose 34% of the class of 2014 over the last two years?

Michigan City High School 2011 enrollment figures:

Freshmen 611
Sophomores 469
Juniors 469
Seniors 360

Total 2011 MCHS enrollment: 1909

Michigan City High School 2013 enrollment figures:

Freshmen 524
Sophomores 475
Juniors 403
Seniors 403

Total 2013 MCHS enrollment: 1805

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 26 2013, 04:18 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Its called social promotion. We pass kids up the grades until they hit high school, and then they can't pass a real class for credit.
+Quote Post
MCRogers1974
post Feb 26 2013, 05:55 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 968

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Feb 26 2013, 04:18 PM) *

Its called social promotion. We pass kids up the grades until they hit high school, and then they can't pass a real class for credit.

Do you suggest we make them accountable? We can't do that because they would be sad if we flunked them.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 26 2013, 07:20 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(MCRogers1974 @ Feb 26 2013, 05:55 PM) *

Do you suggest we make them accountable? We can't do that because they would be sad if we flunked them.

I'm so mean.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Feb 28 2013, 03:54 PM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Feb 26 2013, 07:20 PM) *

I'm so mean.

So basically what you are saying is that every time there is a decent size class of students at the High School one third of them are going to flunk out by the time they become juniors.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 28 2013, 06:21 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Feb 28 2013, 03:54 PM) *

So basically what you are saying is that every time there is a decent size class of students at the High School one third of them are going to flunk out by the time they become juniors.

Yes. That bottom third churns and refails over and over until they become old enough to drop out.
+Quote Post
Commuter
post Mar 2 2013, 11:43 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,163

I call foul.

What you are seeing is logical fallout of an antiquated, opaque, secretive, and ineffective public education system.

Signature Bar
Churches and schools should not be havens for creeps.
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Mar 3 2013, 01:11 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(Commuter @ Mar 2 2013, 12:43 PM) *
I call foul.

What you are seeing is logical fallout of an antiquated, opaque, secretive, and ineffective public education system.

I have a niece who is an example of the high school system. Fall '11 she was enrolled as a freshman at MCHS. Due to her lacking skills she was not able to suceed and her mother withdrew her in Oct '11 stating she would "home school" the child. The school was not required to follow up with mom or child regarding the education and mom did this in order to keep her child out of the system and to continue receiving the childs SS benefit from her dead father.

Frieda and I attempted to assist our niece and get her back into school and on a better life path in Florida. All attempts failed partially due to our lack of experience with dealing with an encourageable child and her total unwillingness to change.

Our niece has been failed on so many levels and will soon be part of the youth of Michigan City who participate in "fight clubs" and other illicit activity.

The state has tied the hands of the MCHS letting the parents of encouragable teens leave high school and be "home schooled" so the state can wash the hands of these kids and make them dependant on federal money.

It's all about who's paying the bill.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Mar 3 2013, 01:14 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Feb 28 2013, 07:21 PM) *

Yes. That bottom third churns and refails over and over until they become old enough to drop out.

I could not agree any more!!! Mike speaks the truth!

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post
Commuter
post Mar 3 2013, 08:57 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,163

With all due respect, you can't blame too much on the high school if the niece was only enrolled there for a month. The school has standards to keep thanks to "No Child Behind Left". It sucks that they seem to only teach to those with the skills needed, and leave the rest to fail.

Signature Bar
Churches and schools should not be havens for creeps.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 3 2013, 10:48 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Mar 3 2013, 01:11 PM) *

an encourageable child

Well, at least she's open to encouragement.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Mar 4 2013, 07:01 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

incorrigible, lol

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
bandaid19
post Mar 4 2013, 04:28 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,048

I think there are a few factors you're not thinking about:

1) online schooling. Indiana, and many other states condone online high school education. Consider it as an alternative program.. students have assignments, teachers, diplomas, but it's all online. I know several families that for multiple reasons (student was getting in trouble, attendance issues, social issues) withdrew their child to complete an online program.

2) vouchers. A few multi-county high schools participate in the school voucher program.

3) "drop out" vs. age out and get G.E.D. Even when I was a youngin', there were students who would drop out and then get their G.E.D. certificate PRIOR to their class graduating. It still happens.

Also, what about transience? I think this data is kind of... unbased, unless you look at MC population (along with LaPorte County, as MCAS serves students who don't live in the city proper). Did we lose population? During this time frame, we saw the great "economic downturn". Did their parents move and leave the community seeking work?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 4 2013, 04:46 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(bandaid19 @ Mar 4 2013, 04:28 PM) *

I think there are a few factors you're not thinking about:

1) online schooling. Indiana, and many other states condone online high school education. Consider it as an alternative program.. students have assignments, teachers, diplomas, but it's all online. I know several families that for multiple reasons (student was getting in trouble, attendance issues, social issues) withdrew their child to complete an online program.

2) vouchers. A few multi-county high schools participate in the school voucher program.

3) "drop out" vs. age out and get G.E.D. Even when I was a youngin', there were students who would drop out and then get their G.E.D. certificate PRIOR to their class graduating. It still happens.

Also, what about transience? I think this data is kind of... unbased, unless you look at MC population (along with LaPorte County, as MCAS serves students who don't live in the city proper). Did we lose population? During this time frame, we saw the great "economic downturn". Did their parents move and leave the community seeking work?

Those numbers would be reflected in the graduation rates, which aren't very pretty either.

Also City's population number have been trending downward for about 40 years now.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 5 2013, 12:49 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 10

My son was a victim of social promotion. It started with 6th grade. I even argued and demanded he not be promoted because he didn't "earn" his promotion. They disagreed and promoted him anyway.
Same with 7th grade, same with 8th grade.

We moved to WY and by the time he got to 10th grade he was so far behind he couldn't catch up. He ended up dropping out after 10th grade and I sent him to Job Corps, where he got the education and training he needed to be successful.

It was a long road for him, with many bumps along the way, but he overcame his "lack" of education in the public school system here.
No offense to the teachers on this board, none of you were my son's teachers, and none of you were administration that promoted him through middle school even though he didn't earn any of the promotions.

He is now 23, enlisting in the Navy, and scored so high on the ASVAB that he got to pick the career he wanted. He did not achieve this from his time with MCAS, he achieved it because I encouraged him to be more successful with education so he could be more successful at life.

By this time next year, my son will be an Air Traffic Controller. Who would think that a high school drop-out could become an Air Traffic Controller? Me, and I take full responsibility for his success.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Mar 5 2013, 01:43 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

Angie,

That's great news about your son turning things around. It's also cool that he's in the NAVY AND will be coming out of the NAVY with a career. There are a lot of jobs in the armed forces which are so specific that it's hard to translate that skill set to the outside world. Good on him! BTW, I had the opportunity last fall to hope on a the U.S.S. Vicksburg for a three day tiger cruise. It was an awesome experience and I recommend you do it if you're given the chance.

As far as MCHS, I don't think there is much investigating required. It has a long history of being at the bottom of the barrel in nearly all categories. It's a bummer but it's the truth. The most recent data I could find on test results on schooldigger.com was from 10-11 where MCHS was ranked 342/373. Sad really.
Conversely, out neighbors in Chesterton have always been towards the top, in '10-'11, ranking 49/373.

I wish I could tell you what the answers are. sad.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Mar 5 2013, 01:45 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Mar 5 2013, 02:43 PM) *
Angie,

That's great news about your son turning things around. It's also cool that he's in the NAVY AND will be coming out of the NAVY with a career. There are a lot of jobs in the armed forces which are so specific that it's hard to translate that skill set to the outside world. Good on him! BTW, I had the opportunity last fall to hope on a the U.S.S. Vicksburg for a three day tiger cruise. It was an awesome experience and I recommend you do it if you're given the chance.

As far as MCHS, I don't think there is much investigating required. It has a long history of being at the bottom of the barrel in nearly all categories. It's a bummer but it's the truth. The most recent data I could find on test results on schooldigger.com was from 10-11 where MCHS was ranked 342/373. Sad really.
Conversely, out neighbors in Chesterton have always been towards the top, in '10-'11, ranking 49/373.

I wish I could tell you what the answers are. sad.gif

How to you "hope" on a ship???

Are we "outing" our neighbors in Chesterton?

Signature Bar
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Tim
post Mar 5 2013, 02:28 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(eric.hanke @ Mar 5 2013, 01:45 PM) *

Maybe she's "encourageable"

Did you mean how DO you?

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Mar 5 2013, 02:30 PM
Post #19

Member No.: 964

And here I've been fighting to keep my kids in a system that's broke as hell.....but I give.....my kids have been withdrawn from mchs......things are looking up already.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Mar 5 2013, 03:38 PM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

Sorry, I fudged that, I meant to type hop, not hope; this is not a then/than situation. I guess you're pointing that out because you didn't know the word is actually incorrigible and I lol'ed. Lemme guess, Michigan City class of...?

I don't think it's a big secret that the Chesterton School is head and shoulders above Michigan City, I just find the disparity and proximity interesting.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:58 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com