IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's with all the places burning in MC?
TSNSPYDER
post Mar 27 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

I remember when the places burned in MC when I was a kid, it was usually an insurance scam by the owner. Wonder if it's the same now. I remember as a kid, a guy owned a sporting goods store and tried to burn it down for the insurance money. The reason I'm saying this is where I live there are many more businesses than in MC, but it seems there are a lot more fires in MC. I've read in the topics here that a Pizza Hut that was an adult toy store burned and also Mino's burned. I had some recollection that Lindo's burned and the guy moved and made it a Mino's. I might be getting the restaurant names wrong, it's been so many years ago. These are just my thoughts of the day.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 27 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

Since you brought it up, Evergreen furniture burned, some storage buildings at Friendship Gardens burned, and Hacienda--that burned to the ground along with all the other shops that were in the building. Personally I think there is a serial arsonist in MC. Most of the fires were explained in some fashion or other, but I still think it's arson. There is just too many fires for such a small town. Southsider, have there been any major fires in the last two years?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 28 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2

The big theme has been house fires. There have been a couple blazes, especially in rental properties, that have even killed small children. As I recall all of them were linked to things like bad wiring, or things of that nature.

The City was talking about setting up an organization whose sole purpose would be to enter and inspect all rental properties to ensure their safety. All people who rent to others would have been required to pay a fee per rental unit to cover the cost of the new inspectors. I never did hear what happened to the proposal, so maybe someone can help me there.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Mar 28 2007, 09:49 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

For a very interesting discussion of a city burning, I refer the Gentle Reader to Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace.

As far as mc burning, I can understand some of the old houses burning due to old wiring. I have personally seen some houses that still have the old post/knob wiring. Sooner or later, that insulation is gonna fail, and most ppl do not inspect their house's wiring; I wonder how many landlords do.

I also wonder about the insurance inspections that are supposed to take place when insurance is written or renewed?
+Quote Post
RexKickass
post Mar 28 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12

QUOTE(Ang @ Mar 27 2007, 09:33 PM) *

Since you brought it up, Evergreen furniture burned, some storage buildings at Friendship Gardens burned, and Hacienda--that burned to the ground along with all the other shops that were in the building. Personally I think there is a serial arsonist in MC. Most of the fires were explained in some fashion or other, but I still think it's arson. There is just too many fires for such a small town. Southsider, have there been any major fires in the last two years?

Don't forget about Oz' Uptown Barbers on 7th in the old Midtown Barbers location.

There was a really big question about whether or not Evergreen was for insurance. The owners ultimately rebuilt there, probably to avoid the look of an insurance scam. I seem to recall it was questionable whether it would happen at the time.

Signature Bar
Please help me fight HIV/AIDS with the Empire State AIDS Ride.
http://ESAR6.kintera.org/RexKickass
+Quote Post
Karen Conner
post Apr 17 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 209

I lived in Chicago and never heard as many fire trucks as in Michigan City. The most fires have occurred since the new fire houses were built. Not sure but per capita we must have more than most.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 19 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Are you the KC of Downtown loft fame?
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 19 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Karen Conner @ Apr 17 2007, 01:29 PM) *

I lived in Chicago and never heard as many fire trucks as in Michigan City. The most fires have occurred since the new fire houses were built. Not sure but per capita we must have more than most.

I have to agree about the sirens. I remember hearing sirens all day long in MC, be it police, fire or ambulance. Where I live now is about twice the size of MC and I rarely hear sirens. Usually when I do, they are responding to a motor vehicle accident.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 19 2007, 10:36 AM
Post #9

Advanced Member

It is just that we got really good sirens!
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 19 2007, 11:18 AM
Post #10

Yeah, and people who love to use them!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 5 2007, 07:49 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 2

Throw another place on the list, the Church next to Gap at Lighthouse place which burned down over Memorial Day weekend in spectacular fashion.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Jun 5 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3

If you mean the building that was chock-full of junk, I am not surprised it burned. It may even have been UNintentional!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 10:42 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com