> CRAGs, Carbon rationing and energy use
Max Main
post May 14 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

http://www.carbonrationing.org.uk/why

Please check out this site and let's talk.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 14 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

http://www.carbonrationing.org.uk/files/ca...oning_guide.pdf

More critical info.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post May 15 2007, 04:27 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

Moderately OK in theory. My main complaint with these taxes is that they are a national solution to a global problem. China is soon going to surpass the US in total carbon dioxide emissions. Developing countries with lower standards of living than our own are going to be far less receptive to these growth strangling initiatives. Economic growth is the cause and the solution to global warming. When people have their basic needs met on a consistent basis, only then can they start addressing higher order needs such as environmental remediation. Want to save the planet, get out of your SUV\Pickup Truck, put in CFLs, and plant a tree.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 16 2007, 10:21 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(mcstumper @ May 15 2007, 05:27 PM) *

Want to save the planet, get out of your SUV\Pickup Truck, put in CFLs, and plant a tree.

I already have 15 trees in my yard...if I plat another tree, people will think I'm crazy.

I was reading an article over the weekend form the Chicago trib about cfl's. They listed one of the cons as limited disposal sites, as its not recommended to dispose of them in your normal trash due to the mercury levels. So would you just store them until the Solid Waste district does their hazardous waste collections?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post May 16 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Isn't it great how every environmental remedy has its environmental cost. CFL's have mercury, wind farms interfere with flight patterns of migratory birds, plastic grocery bags are filling up our landfills while paper bags result in trees being cut down while fabric bags are washed with detergent that is killing our fish.

Here is something else to think about with CRAGs. Most of these taxes and credits are aimed at industrial production. Adding additional taxes to CO2 producing industries may be the tipping point that encourages them to move production "overseas". As I hinted to in my last post, it could be 100 years until many of these countries are a point in their economic development where they could realistically be expected to start enforcing reasonable environmental protection regulations (including their own CRAGs). It is not unreasonable to assume that when most companies move their production overseas, that they meet the local environmental regulations (if any exist) as opposed to maintaining pollution controls at the same level required in the U.S. So by attempting to use a remedy enforceable only at the national level, all you have done is move and increase the magnitude of this global problem.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 16 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

You didn't go to the sites to see what they are talking about.

"Carbon footprints" are a big thing in Europe, not here yet. Please go to the sites, see what they are talking about, and please notice that it has nothing to do with gov't policies or taxes.

Let's talk then.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post May 16 2007, 06:36 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Max Main @ May 16 2007, 04:28 PM) *

You didn't go to the sites to see what they are talking about.

"Carbon footprints" are a big thing in Europe, not here yet. Please go to the sites, see what they are talking about, and please notice that it has nothing to do with gov't policies or taxes.

Let's talk then.

Guilty. I went to the "why" page and assumed it was promoting tradeable credits. You know what they say about ASSuming.
I like the idea of voluntary self regulation. Unfortunately, I bet none of the people who would agree to join a CRAG would be the kind of person cruising around in a Lincoln Navigator or heating the Olympic sized swimming pool in their backyard. A CRAG would get rich on me because I live in a 79 year old house that costs a small mint to heat.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 17 2007, 09:54 AM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

http://heraldargus.com/hanews/archives/ha/...y.php?id=377864

Posted Online: 2007-05-16
Green makeover for cities
Comment on this story

NEW YORK (AP) — Sixteen cities around the world will begin cutting carbon emissions by renovating city-owned buildings with green technology under a program spearheaded by former President Clinton’s foundation.

Bill Clinton was to announce the partnership today as part of an international climate summit he is hosting this week in New York City.

Clinton’s foundation described details to the AP ahead of the announcement. Major global banking institutions have committed $1 billion to finance the upgrades of municipal buildings in participating cities, including New York, Chicago, Houston, Toronto, Mexico City, London, Berlin and Tokyo.

The makeovers will include replacing heating, cooling and lighting systems with energy-efficient networks; making roofs white or reflective to deflect the sun’s heat; sealing windows and installing new models that let more light in; and setting up sensors to control more efficient use of lights and air conditioning.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 17 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #9

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Chicago's own Rich Daley once one of the big innovators in green buildings.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post May 17 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #10

Advanced Member

We can set up our own CRAG online right here.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:45 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com