IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michael Karpinski named Wolves football coach, Schreiber leaves City for Hammond
taxthedeer
post May 24 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #21

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ May 24 2011, 08:15 AM) *

Keep in mind this is at least his 4 different position in 4 years.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-school...60abc494ab.html

Actually it's his fifth, After leaving Greensburg in Mid-season 2008 coach Schrieber immediatly joined the football coaching staff at nearby rival Chesterton High School as a "volunteer" assistant under coach Snyder.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 24 2011, 12:36 PM
Post #22

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ May 24 2011, 10:07 AM) *

Actually it's his fifth, After leaving Greensburg in Mid-season 2008 coach Schrieber immediatly joined the football coaching staff at nearby rival Chesterton High School as a "volunteer" assistant under coach Snyder.

I didn't even know about that one.

Anyways, no agenda item for a new coach tonight, just Schreibs resignation.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 25 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #23

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2011/05/24...e3284056346.txt

Schreiber leaving Michigan City

Eric Schreiber
Football coach exiting to take job at Hammond
By Adam Parkhouse
Staff Writer
Published: Tuesday, May 24, 2011 5:06 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Michigan City football coach Eric Schreiber has been approved as the new coach of Hammond High School, leaving City after just one year at the helm.

The Hammond school board voted to accept Schreiber’s hire at Monday’s meeting.

Schreiber went just 1-9 in his one and only season with the Wolves, who were outscored 403-139 overall and 354-59 in an 0-7 Duneland Conference campaign.

“Right now, the Hammond administration has made some changes and there are a lot of positive things going on,” Schreiber said Monday evening. “They want to build a football program there and I want to be a part of it.”

Click here to find out more!
Schreiber came to Michigan City as offensive coordinator for the 2009 season, helping guide the Wolves to one of their best-ever seasons at 6-4 under coach Craig Buzea.

Buzea left following that season for Homewood-Flossmoor in Illinois and Schreiber was tabbed as his replacement.

“I can’t say anything bad about it,” Schreiber said. “It was a good experience. I enjoyed working with the kids and the Michigan City future is bright.”

His first season got off to a nice start with a 49-0 win in the season opener over Gary Roosevelt, but the young and inexperienced Wolves struggled on both sides of the ball for the rest of the season.

Schreiber came to Michigan City after a stint at Greensburg, which followed a three-year run at Hammond Bishop Noll.

Michigan City athletic director Bob “Bear” Falls said that Schreiber’s difficulties with the Wolves may have been magnified by the fact City had such a strong season in Buzea’s final year. He also acknowledged the timing of Schreiber’s hiring was not ideal.

“I think anytime you follow arguably one of the best coaches in the state of Indiana, it’s going to be tough,” Falls said. “Him coming in at such a late date might have hampered him a bit.”

Falls understood Schreiber’s desire to take the Hammond position and stated that the search for a replacement will begin immediately.

“I think this is a good fit for him and I want to wish him well.”
+Quote Post
wayne
post May 25 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #24

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 998

Lets be real here. Coaches are leaving MC becauseits not a good place to be. Schriber and Cates took pay cuts (yes its true) to leave. If a coach leaves a Duneland Conference Schoolsuch as MC to go to Hammond a red flag should go up, Hammond , a school that is ready to be taken over by the state. Absolutely embarrassing. Dont give me the business that its closer to his home. He would have talen any job to get out of here. Cates ttok less money and has to pick up move just to get out of here. Everything stinks here. I llok back at some of your comments after Buzea left and ist of you said Schreiber will keep it going. You have no idea what that staff had to do to get to respectability. It will never will happen again. never. Buzz was given everything he wanted by the supt and took advantage of the situation. Not downplaying his ability, because he obviously has proved he can coach, but he and the supt were on the same page and built a pretty good program. MC, get your head out of the sand and realizethat nobody wants to come here unless they are out of a job or about to get fired from one. And as far as the Pop warner program, give me a break. It has no bearing on the success of the hs program. For you that are pinning your hopes on Pop Warner success, get ready for a huge letdown.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 25 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #25

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(wayne @ May 25 2011, 07:49 PM) *

Lets be real here. Coaches are leaving MC becauseits not a good place to be. Schriber and Cates took pay cuts (yes its true) to leave. If a coach leaves a Duneland Conference Schoolsuch as MC to go to Hammond a red flag should go up, Hammond , a school that is ready to be taken over by the state. Absolutely embarrassing. Dont give me the business that its closer to his home. He would have talen any job to get out of here. Cates ttok less money and has to pick up move just to get out of here. Everything stinks here. I llok back at some of your comments after Buzea left and ist of you said Schreiber will keep it going. You have no idea what that staff had to do to get to respectability. It will never will happen again. never. Buzz was given everything he wanted by the supt and took advantage of the situation. Not downplaying his ability, because he obviously has proved he can coach, but he and the supt were on the same page and built a pretty good program. MC, get your head out of the sand and realizethat nobody wants to come here unless they are out of a job or about to get fired from one. And as far as the Pop warner program, give me a break. It has no bearing on the success of the hs program. For you that are pinning your hopes on Pop Warner success, get ready for a huge letdown.

This is coming from the same guy who proclaimed coach Buzea was leaving Homewood-Flossmoor and returning to Michigan City. laugh.gif
+Quote Post
backwoods
post May 25 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 980

Lets be real about everything here. The red flag was when he was getting beaten up on by smaller schools in scrimmages against Knox, East Chicago, and South Central. Thats when alot of fans new it was going to be along year. Fundementals were the worst I have seen in along time. Look at this guys track record as a coach. he doesnt stay long at any one place. Red Flag again. It just seemed that he could not relate or better yet he was unble to get the kids to follow or buy into what he was wanting to achive. Without winning the Hearts, minds and souls of your group, you are bound to fail... From what i could see, two years ago players would run through a brick wall for Buzea. Last year all the kids saw was a brick wall...
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 26 2011, 08:09 AM
Post #27

One thing going here now, is with Falls as the all City Athletic Director, the new football coach should be able to set up a real feeder system for the first time ever. He should have a say in every single football coach in the entire town now.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 26 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(backwoods @ May 25 2011, 08:52 PM) *

Lets be real about everything here. The red flag was when he was getting beaten up on by smaller schools in scrimmages against Knox, East Chicago, and South Central. Thats when alot of fans new it was going to be along year. Fundementals were the worst I have seen in along time. Look at this guys track record as a coach. he doesnt stay long at any one place. Red Flag again. It just seemed that he could not relate or better yet he was unble to get the kids to follow or buy into what he was wanting to achive. Without winning the Hearts, minds and souls of your group, you are bound to fail... From what i could see, two years ago players would run through a brick wall for Buzea. Last year all the kids saw was a brick wall...

I have never seen a team have their collective IQs drop as much as they did between 2010 and 2011. Last years team never knew where they were supposed to be. The 2010 team seemed like they never missed an assignment. It was amazing.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post May 26 2011, 11:42 AM
Post #29

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(backwoods @ May 25 2011, 08:52 PM) *

The first red flag was raised after DAC opener at Chesterton. Team was blasted 55-0 to a program that you spent 1/2 season in prior to coming to City. In the end Chesterton couldn't hold home field advantage two weeks straight against Merrillville. Don't know what Buzea, Falls, Fransisconi and all these other schools see in this guy?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 27 2011, 09:54 AM
Post #30

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ May 26 2011, 12:42 PM) *

The first red flag was raised after DAC opener at Chesterton. Team was blasted 55-0 to a program that you spent 1/2 season in prior to coming to City. In the end Chesterton couldn't hold home field advantage two weeks straight against Merrillville. Don't know what Buzea, Falls, Fransisconi and all these other schools see in this guy?

There was a play even in sectionals I remember that blew my mind, where a senior WR ran a completely wrong route, and Schreib ran probably 40 yards down the sideline to tell him where he was supposed to be on that play. After 10 games, players still didn't know the basics. That is bad.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post May 27 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #31

Member No.: 1,114

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ May 26 2011, 09:10 AM) *

I have never seen a team have their collective IQs drop as much as they did between 2010 and 2011. Last years team never knew where they were supposed to be. The 2010 team seemed like they never missed an assignment. It was amazing.

It was difficult for the kids to execute anything when the offense was being changed on them several times in a game. There were many poor coaching decisions made at the Varsity level last season but it is time to put everything behind and move on. We need to concentrate on the future and make this program the best it can be for these young men. They practice a lot of hours in all types of weather. They love the game and are trying their best at being prepared for a new coach. After all they make up the team--the coach is their figure head. The kids are ready for the challenge--the city needs to support them. The most disappointing game two years ago was the Merrillville game---I felt so bad for the kids---the city finally bought into them and turned out to see the "winning" team and then they suffered a loss. I have watched more football than anyone and a common theme I received at the games was always "who do you have playing?" When I replied "nobody" they would look at me like I had something wrong with me. Americans pay billions of dollars to watch college and professional players, I doubt that they are related to any of them. High school football is exciting because these kids show the true passion for the game. Very few things can top the "friday night lights!!" Thanks and hope to see you in the fall.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post May 28 2011, 12:08 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ May 27 2011, 10:54 AM) *

There was a play even in sectionals I remember that blew my mind, where a senior WR ran a completely wrong route, and Schreib ran probably 40 yards down the sideline to tell him where he was supposed to be on that play. After 10 games, players still didn't know the basics. That is bad.

The difference is the other schools don't have different coaches every year and stick with what they know. The players often wonder why they have to perform the simplest drills over and over again, year after year. The basics have to become natural to them and are meant to be performed without having to give thought to them. I completely agree that these kids need these but they also need to learn their plays--all of the plays. The team cannot have depth without this and it is vital. Unfortunately every year we cannot start this because we don't have a coach. We are behind every other team in the DAC because of this fact. It is not the players fault---this is something that is out of their hands. All the players can do is make an attempt to keep their conditioning up while they wait it out. Mistakes are going to be made in a game but hopefully it doesn't happen at a crucial time during a game. Many of the players are very intelligent, so don't sell them short. My personal feeling was that last years coach didn't properly evaluate the players and have them playing in the appropriate positions. Often players choose a position but they don't realize their true talent to play in another position. A great coach can recognize this and uncover the players ability to shine in another position. When a player moves on to play in college they often don't play in their high school position. Thanks for the time and it has been a pleasure---GO WOLVES !!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 31 2011, 07:13 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ May 28 2011, 01:08 AM) *

The difference is the other schools don't have different coaches every year and stick with what they know. The players often wonder why they have to perform the simplest drills over and over again, year after year. The basics have to become natural to them and are meant to be performed without having to give thought to them. I completely agree that these kids need these but they also need to learn their plays--all of the plays. The team cannot have depth without this and it is vital. Unfortunately every year we cannot start this because we don't have a coach. We are behind every other team in the DAC because of this fact. It is not the players fault---this is something that is out of their hands. All the players can do is make an attempt to keep their conditioning up while they wait it out. Mistakes are going to be made in a game but hopefully it doesn't happen at a crucial time during a game. Many of the players are very intelligent, so don't sell them short. My personal feeling was that last years coach didn't properly evaluate the players and have them playing in the appropriate positions. Often players choose a position but they don't realize their true talent to play in another position. A great coach can recognize this and uncover the players ability to shine in another position. When a player moves on to play in college they often don't play in their high school position. Thanks for the time and it has been a pleasure---GO WOLVES !!!

Welcome to the board, and don't be a stranger!

To be clear, I am not selling the kids short at all. The kids didn't get dumber in a year, I know that first hand. The coaching was awful last year. Example #1 of that was Rodney Washington. If he would have been able to even near repeat his junior year last year, he would have had division one schools looking at him as a QB. He regressed to the point where he lost his job at times. Nothing in the offense was set up to take advantage of what he does well. Buzz did a great job of that. Schreib, not so much. Good luck to him and all, as he was always decent to me, but I am not too upset to see him go in the terms of what happened to our football team.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Jun 1 2011, 09:56 AM
Post #34

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ May 31 2011, 08:13 AM) *

Welcome to the board, and don't be a stranger!

To be clear, I am not selling the kids short at all. The kids didn't get dumber in a year, I know that first hand. The coaching was awful last year. Example #1 of that was Rodney Washington. If he would have been able to even near repeat his junior year last year, he would have had division one schools looking at him as a QB. He regressed to the point where he lost his job at times. Nothing in the offense was set up to take advantage of what he does well. Buzz did a great job of that. Schreib, not so much. Good luck to him and all, as he was always decent to me, but I am not too upset to see him go in the terms of what happened to our football team.

Anyone who knows the current situation in City, also knows that his younger brother is coming up this year---watch this boys arm!!! He has the ability to out throw his brother even at this age in life. If he can keep his head in the game he will make a solid QB. I wish they would hurry up and get a coach so the team can move on. I think as soon as school gets out they should start two a days. They have a lot of ground to cover before August. I'm confident in our Senior QB. He works well under pressure and on the scramble. His hail mary's may fall short but he gets the job done when they need it. Unsure who will fill the JV QB position. This was a big problem last year with our injury ridden team. We had no depth in the QB position. They have to plan ahead for these situations. We had kids playing QB that haven't played it in 6 years since pop-warner days. They did actually very well--so why don't we keep these kids warm so they are available and know the play book. My son has a great arm, thanks to my father who passed that gene on to me, it is amazing how that can happen. Now I know why the colleges go after recruiting all the old pro's children. It is passed along in the genes. My sister and I both have the ability--I am also ambidextrous. My son has the ability too but he has spent very little time practicing it--he can throw a spiral off the left for only 20 yards. Playing defense for two years I saw it decline. He throws routinely in the yard just to keep his hand eye coordination up. I told him he has to be able to play any position the coach needs him to play and he should keep his skills up. You ever know when he might have to fill a TE position and catch the ball. All of the players should have this in their mind and not lock in to one position. Sure, they need their specialty spot but always be adaptable. He enjoys playing defense and he has done well in that position--I can respect his decisions. GO WOLVES !!!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 1 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #35

Yeah, I have heard the stories about his little brother. Hopefully it works out and we get someone to develop him.

More than the QB issues, were the RB issues last year. IIRC in sections we were down to our 6th string RB. That is brutal no matter who you are. With the string of injuries, I really wondered if the Wolves had been conditioned properly.
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Jun 2 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 999

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Jun 1 2011, 10:56 AM) *

Anyone who knows the current situation in City, also knows that his younger brother is coming up this year---watch this boys arm!!! He has the ability to out throw his brother even at this age in life. If he can keep his head in the game he will make a solid QB. I wish they would hurry up and get a coach so the team can move on. I think as soon as school gets out they should start two a days. They have a lot of ground to cover before August. I'm confident in our Senior QB. He works well under pressure and on the scramble. His hail mary's may fall short but he gets the job done when they need it. Unsure who will fill the JV QB position. This was a big problem last year with our injury ridden team. We had no depth in the QB position. They have to plan ahead for these situations. We had kids playing QB that haven't played it in 6 years since pop-warner days. They did actually very well--so why don't we keep these kids warm so they are available and know the play book. My son has a great arm, thanks to my father who passed that gene on to me, it is amazing how that can happen. Now I know why the colleges go after recruiting all the old pro's children. It is passed along in the genes. My sister and I both have the ability--I am also ambidextrous. My son has the ability too but he has spent very little time practicing it--he can throw a spiral off the left for only 20 yards. Playing defense for two years I saw it decline. He throws routinely in the yard just to keep his hand eye coordination up. I told him he has to be able to play any position the coach needs him to play and he should keep his skills up. You ever know when he might have to fill a TE position and catch the ball. All of the players should have this in their mind and not lock in to one position. Sure, they need their specialty spot but always be adaptable. He enjoys playing defense and he has done well in that position--I can respect his decisions. GO WOLVES !!!

How can you predict what the senior QB will do. . .no disrespect to him but Schreiber did this kid wrong. He didn't develop him at all. At some point during a season like last year he should have pulled the plug on Rodney and gave Hirsch the starts from an experience standpoint. The problem was Schreib was more concerned about getting his kid all the reps he could in practice and during the summer. No leadership from the top no real leadership from the "stars" from last year's team. If you have lazy stars the head coach should have set the tone by benching them. He didn't so that is a big reason why you finish 1-9. Don't worry about the QB position if you can't block the big boys in the DAC it doesn't matter who you have playing QB.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 3 2011, 07:41 AM
Post #37

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jun 2 2011, 02:51 PM) *

How can you predict what the senior QB will do. . .no disrespect to him but Schreiber did this kid wrong. He didn't develop him at all. At some point during a season like last year he should have pulled the plug on Rodney and gave Hirsch the starts from an experience standpoint. The problem was Schreib was more concerned about getting his kid all the reps he could in practice and during the summer. No leadership from the top no real leadership from the "stars" from last year's team. If you have lazy stars the head coach should have set the tone by benching them. He didn't so that is a big reason why you finish 1-9. Don't worry about the QB position if you can't block the big boys in the DAC it doesn't matter who you have playing QB.

I didn't get this either. At some point he had to realize that 2010 was a lost cause, and start putting guys in position to learn for 2011. It almost felt to me like he was trying to get himself a couple of wins this year, instead of worrying about developing kids for next year. It makes more sense if he was already looking for another job, or even thinking about it.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 11 2011, 11:42 PM
Post #38

Really Comfortable

Take a look at Franklin Central's facility, this is what coach Karpinski is having to leave behind to come to Michigan City:

The Franklin Township Athletic Center project is a 20,000 s.f., two-story facility consisting of a precast concrete stadium including locker rooms, training rooms, coaches areas, storage rooms and two concession areas. A two level press box and a four stop elevator is also included in the project.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 12 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #39

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jun 12 2011, 12:42 AM) *

Take a look at Franklin Central's facility, this is what coach Karpinski is having to leave behind to come to Michigan City:

The Franklin Township Athletic Center project is a 20,000 s.f., two-story facility consisting of a precast concrete stadium including locker rooms, training rooms, coaches areas, storage rooms and two concession areas. A two level press box and a four stop elevator is also included in the project.

Is it official now? I know the board meets on Tuesday.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jun 12 2011, 08:53 AM
Post #40

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jun 12 2011, 09:14 AM) *

Is it official now? I know the board meets on Tuesday.

Seems to be the scuttlebutt.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:44 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com