Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shooting tragedy locally
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I have been seeing about the shooting that happened last night, and am incredibly sad about it. There are no news stories out yet, but at least one person has died, and at least one was injured. I don't know many details for sure, but I do know the known victim is a 2011 graduate of Michigan City High School, as is the one injury. I know a lot of kids lives were touched last night by this senseless tragedy.

Prayers to everyone involved.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2011, 11:21 AM
Post #2

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...4981b58b71.html

MICHIGAN CITY | A 17-year-old girl was fatally shot on Michigan City's east side late Sunday night.

LaPorte County Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said the victim's body was lying on the edge of the roadway on Liberty Trail close to Krueger Memorial Park south of U.S. 12. He said the discovery was made when emergency responders about 11:15 p.m. received a call of shots fired.

Police have not released any information, but Huffman said the shooting occurred during an altercation.

''That's all I know so far,'' Huffman said.

Friends of the victim identified her as Ne'Keisha Hodges Hawkins.

Brandy Aldridge, 17, said she went to Michigan City High School with the girl who just graduated last month.

''She was a sweet girl. Quiet. Pretty,'' said Aldridge, who was standing in her driveway in the 800 block of Liberty Trail when shots rang out.

''I saw the fire from the gun and I just heard screaming,'' Aldridge said. ''She had a lot of friends. She was very popular."

Aldridge said there was a sweet 16 birthday party at the park, and when everyone was leaving some boys started arguing, and then gunfire rang out. She said a male subject was shot in the leg. Aldridge said her sister was attending the heavily attended party.

''I went out and got my sister,'' Aldridge said.

Barbara Wilson, 69, said she was lying in bed when she heard five shots.

''There was a pop, pop, pop then a pause. Then pop, pop. I then heard all of the kids screaming, screaming, screaming,'' Wilson said.

Wilson said it's the first shooting to occur in her quiet neighborhood in the 39 years she has lived there.

Huffman said an autopsy later Monday will determine how many times the victim was shot.

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...l#ixzz1T8f0myh7
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Jul 25 2011, 11:59 AM
Post #3

Group: Members
Member No.: 39

QUOTE(southsiderMMX @ Jul 25 2011, 12:21 PM) *

My daughter was leaving the party and in her friends car as all of the turmoil broke out. My prayers go out to the family. I couldn't sleep last night. My daughter was shaken up. She heard the shots and screams. There is so much information flying around about the person who did it. I just pray that justice is served. My heart is so heavy by this tragic situation. We have to figure this out, two yound ones lost within in a month.
+Quote Post
Grammy515
post Jul 25 2011, 01:03 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 964

QUOTE(RedDevilMC @ Jul 25 2011, 12:59 PM) *

My daughter was leaving the party and in her friends car as all of the turmoil broke out. My prayers go out to the family. I couldn't sleep last night. My daughter was shaken up. She heard the shots and screams. There is so much information flying around about the person who did it. I just pray that justice is served. My heart is so heavy by this tragic situation. We have to figure this out, two yound ones lost within in a month.

My niece, Ne'Keisha was killed last night at Memorial Park. She was a wonderful, sweet, beautiful young girl with a big heart. She was an angel her on earth. Please keep our family in your prayers.
James Sanders was shot in the leg during this same shooting. He is stable at St Anthony's Hospital.
The gunman is still on the run.....
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2011, 01:07 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Jul 25 2011, 02:03 PM) *

My niece, Ne'Keisha was killed last night at Memorial Park. She was a wonderful, sweet, beautiful young girl with a big heart. She was an angel her on earth. Please keep our family in your prayers.
James Sanders was shot in the leg during this same shooting. He is stable at St Anthony's Hospital.

I am very sorry for your family's loss. I didn't know your niece, but I know James, and lots of his friends through the City basketball program and working at the HS. They are all really, really good kids. I know it won't bring her back, but I hope justice is done here.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 25 2011, 02:53 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

Condolences to the family and friends of Ne'Keisha Hodges Hawkins and I hope that James Sanders is going to be OK.

Does anybody know the identity of the suspected gunman? I hope the suspected gunman is either apprehended or turns himself in very soon.
+Quote Post
kharris
post Jul 25 2011, 03:51 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Grammy515 @ Jul 25 2011, 02:03 PM) *

Just so sad, senseless and tragic. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family during this loss. And the same to James Sanders...hope he recovers fully and quickly. I know our community is better than this and I am confident that our local MCPD will see that justice is served.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2011, 05:10 PM
Post #8

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...69649953174.txt

Suspect arrested in Sunday shooting incident at Krueger Memorial Park

By Amanda Jacobson
Staff Writer
Published: Monday, July 25, 2011 5:11 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Michigan City Police arrested Cameron Omar Kent, 18, Michigan City on Monday afternoon, charging him with reckless homicide, two counts of aggravated battery and criminal recklessness in the death of Ne’Keisha Nicole Hodges Hawkins, 17, Michigan City, and the wounding of former Michigan City High School basketball player James Sanders, 18, Michigan City.

Kent is being held on $25,000 cash-only bond pending a court appearance in La Porte Superior Court 1 at 8:30 a.m. Thursday.

In a news conference, police said they had recovered a firearm along with more evidence.

The shooting occurred in the parking lot of Krueger Memorial Park, 801 Liberty Trail, Michigan City, just after 11 p.m. According to police, a fight occurred inside the hall, causing a private family party being held there to be shut down. As the 100 to 150 people in attendance were leaving, police said shots were fired in the parking lot and the two victims were struck by the gunfire.

Sanders is listed in good condition at Franciscan St. Anthony Health, Michigan City, with a gunshot wound to the leg.

For more on this story, check the print edition of The News Dispatch on Tuesday.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 25 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Sanders just reported that he is out of the hospital on his facebook page.
+Quote Post
CSchwanke
post Jul 27 2011, 10:14 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 944

I knew Ne'Keisha as she has been to my house several times with my daughter, she was a very sweet young girl. She will be missed and my thoughts and prayers go out to the family.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #11

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2011/07/29...51802658964.txt

Fight between two young women may have triggered Sunday shooting

By Amanda Jacobson
Staff writer
Published: Thursday, July 28, 2011 5:20 PM CDT
A fight between two young women may have been what triggered a larger confrontation Sunday night, where a shooting ended 17-year-old Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins’ life and injured 18-year-old Michigan City teen James Sanders.

Krueger Memorial Hall was rented out for a 16th birthday party celebration of Michigan City occupational therapist Regina Dicristofaro’s daughter and her daughter’s two friends.

The party was somewhat of a benefit for the three 16-year-olds, to whom donations were being made at the party, Dicristofaro said.

Dicristofaro said she was in the parking lot when she noticed lights were still on inside Krueger Memorial Hall, but soon after heard from off-duty LaPorte County Jail Corporal John Wilcher – the security guard hired for the night – that the party was shut down.

Wilcher told Dicristofaro the party was being stopped due to a fight between two young girls in attendance at the party. Dicristofaro then went into the hall’s downstairs banquet area. The upstairs crowd was moved out into the parking lot of Krueger Memorial Park, where up to six gunshots were fired, according to witness accounts to the Michigan City Police Department.

Dicristofaro said she did not hear the gunshots while she was in the downstairs area of the building.

“My daughter came and said, ‘Mom, they’re shooting’,” she said. “That’s when I came outside to get the kids from outside on the parking lot to come inside.”

Hodges-Hawkins’ 16-year-old cousin said Hodges-Hawkins must have gotten caught in the middle of the gunfire, because she was not involved in the altercation that led to the shots being fired.

“She just happened to be in the way, I guess,” she said. “The people at the party, some people didn’t like each other.”

Hodges-Hawkins’ cousin said she heard shots fired after the crowd moved to the parking lot.

“When I heard the gunshots, I ran inside the building,” she said.

One of Hodges-Hawkins’ friends who was walking south down a hill, away from the park with Hodges-Hawkins when the gunfire started, told police the shots were fired from the north top of the hill and shortly after, Hodges-Hawkins fell to the ground.

La Porte County Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said Hodges-Hawkins’ body was found on the edge of the roadway on Liberty Trail, close to Krueger Memorial Park, which is located south of U.S. 12.

Huffman said the body was discovered after emergency responders received a call of shots fired at about 11:15 p.m. Sunday. Michigan City Police Department had previously arrived on the scene at 11:06 p.m. after receiving the call that shots were fired near the park.

In a telephone message, La Porte County Coroner John Sullivan said Hodges-Hawkins was pronounced dead at the scene 11:30 p.m. Sunday night, after medics initiated CPR and Hodges-Hawkins was unresponsive.

On Monday, a forensic autopsy was conducted by Dr. Joseph Prahlow, MD at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Mishawaka. The autopsy revealed the cause of death to be a single gunshot wound to the head. The manner of death was determined a homicide.

During the course of a 15-hour investigation by Michigan City police Sunday night into Monday morning, one shell casing and one live round of ammunition were recovered just east of where Hodges-Hawkins’ body was found. A semi-automatic handgun was also recovered during police investigations.

Police arrested 18-year-old Cameron Omar Kent of Michigan City Monday afternoon at about 2:45 p.m., after witness accounts led police to Kent’s getaway vehicle – a blue and silver moped – parked on the 100 block of West Second Street in Michigan City.

Kent is currently being held at La Porte County Jail, where he awaits his court hearing, scheduled for today at 8:30 a.m. in La Porte County Superior Court 1. The charges against Kent are two counts of aggravated battery, a Class B felony, one count of criminal recklessness, a Class C felony, and one count of reckless homicide, a Class C felony.

Memorial benefit

A memorial benefit will take place all day today, Ne’KeishaHodges-Hawkins’ birthday, to help the family pay for her burial expenses.

Regina Dicristofaro said the family needs about $4,400 to pay for the burial.

Donations can be made at Coleman & Hicks Funeral Home at any time before 5 p.m. today to the family of Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins. Coleman & Hicks Funeral Home is located at 101 N. Karwick Drive in Michigan City.

A funeral service for Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins will take place at 11 a.m. on Saturday at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 123 Helen St. in Michigan City with Rev. Dr. Stanley Mason officiating. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Saturday, at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church.

Police continue to seek witnesses

Royce Williams, Michigan City Police chief of services, said the police department is still conducting interviews and searching for more information from the public in an ongoing investigation.

“Literally, our dry erase board we use to write everything down is filled with names of persons of interest that we are still looking for, to get statements from them,” Williams said. “This is going to be ongoing for the next week to put all the pieces of the puzzle together.”

Williams said people are flowing into the police station, but the department is still “turning over rocks” to find out what happened Sunday night.

The police department is asking anyone with any information regarding Sunday night’s events to contact the station’s non-emergency number at (219) 874-3221.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2011, 08:28 AM
Post #12

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...0f351005825.txt

Hearing for suspect in Sunday shooting postponed until Tuesday

By Julie McClure
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, July 29, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — An initial hearing for 18-year-old Cameron Omar Kent, Michigan City, was postponed Thursday and rescheduled to 9 a.m. Tuesday, La Porte County Superior Court 1 officials said.

La Porte County Sheriff deputies and court officials said Kent’s hearing on Tuesday will be conducted on video and he will not be transported to Michigan City for the hearing in Superior Court 1.

Robert Neary, La Porte County chief deputy prosecutor, said the probable cause paperwork on the case was just finished Wednesday, resulting in the delay until next week. He added that it is fairly routine to do initial hearings by video on Tuesdays, which means the defendants are not transported to Michigan City for the hearing.

Kent is being held at the La Porte County Jail, facing charges of two counts of aggravated battery, both Class B felonies, one count of criminal recklessness, a Class C felony and one count of reckless homicide, a Class C felony. He is charged in relation to the death of Ne’ Keisha Hodges-Hawkins, who died Sunday after a shooting incident at about 11 p.m. at Krueger Memorial Hall parking lot in Michigan City. Eighteen-year-old James Sanders, Michigan City, was wounded in the leg in the incident and was treated and released from Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City.

Neary said at this point it is probably unlikely that additional charges will be filed, although he added that Michigan City police are continuing their investigation.

Security was apparent at the courthouse in Michigan City Thursday morning, with sheriff deputies stationed at the courthouse steps inside at the first floor and at the entrance to the Superior Court 1 courtroom, in addition to the initial security screening visitors receive upon entering the courthouse. Michigan City Police Chief Mark Swistek said his department did relay concerns about Kent’s safety based on comments made during interviews conducted in the course of the investigation.

”We had concerns based on interviews with family, friends and witnesses and we felt compelled to bring it to the attention of the sheriff department,” Swistek said. Swistek said his department was not only compelled, but has an obligation to protect the defendant while he is in police custody.

”We have done this in other cases in the past,” Swistek said. “We have had to take specific measures to protect defendants.”

La Porte County Sheriff Michael Mollenhauer confirmed that Kent will be on video for his initial hearing next Tuesday and the department is planning additional security when Kent does appear in person in court. Defendants who attend hearings via video are taken to a fourth floor room at the sheriff department where a closed circuit camera allows the defendant and judge to interact as though the defendant was in the courtroom. Those in the courtroom may view the proceedings on the video.

When asked if additional security has been added for Kent inside the jail, Mollenhauer said that Kent is being housed by himself. Kent is being held on $25,000 cash bond and had not bonded out as of Thursday.

Hodges-Hawkins was attending a party at the hall Sunday when an argument broke out between two young women, which caused a security guard hired for the event, John Wilcher, an off-duty La Porte County Jail corporal, to shut down the party and order everyone to leave.

As the 100 to 150 guests left the building, the altercation continued into the parking lot at Krueger Memorial Park, where up to six gunshots were fired, according to witness accounts to the Michigan City Police Department.

Swistek said Thursday that Wilcher was armed, but did not discharge his weapon during the incident.

Hodges-Hawkins, who was not involved in the argument or altercation, was walking away from the area but is believed to have been caught in the middle of the gunfire, according to a cousin who was with her at the party.

La Porte County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said Hodges-Hawkins’ body was found on the edge of the roadway on Liberty Trail, close to the park, which is located south of U.S. 12 off Liberty Trail.

Hodges-Hawkins was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:30 p.m. Sunday night. An autopsy conducted by Dr. Joseph Prahlow at St. Joseph Regional Medical Center in Mishawaka revealed the cause of death to be a single gunshot wound to the head. The manner of death was determined to be a homicide.

Michigan City police recovered a shell casing and one live round of ammunition just east of where Hodges-Hawkins’ body was found. A semi-automatic handgun was also recovered by police.

Memorial donations accepted

A memorial benefit for the family of Ne'Keisha Hodges-Hawkins continued on Thursday as friends continued to donate money to help defray the family's funeral expenses.

Demina White, an assistant at the Coleman & Hicks Funeral Home, said the donations had not been tallied yet, but donations from Wednesday and Thursday were in "the thousands" range.

Donations and love gifts may be dropped off at the funeral home, 101 N. Karwick Drive, Michigan City, until the time of services for Hodges-Hawkins.

The family needs about $4,400 to pay for the funeral and burial.

Funeral services for Hodges-Hawkins will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church, 123 Helen St. in Michigan City with the Rev. Dr. Stanley Mason officiating. Visitation will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the church.

Hodges-Hawkins' obituary appears on Page A2 of today's newspaper.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #13

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...3f619785559.txt

Helping a family in crisis and in need

Published: Friday, July 29, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
The Michigan City community has an opportunity to step up to help a family in crisis.

Today, and through Saturday, the Coleman & Hicks Funeral Home is accepting donations and love gifts to defray funeral expenses for Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins, who was tragically killed in a shooting incident at about 11 p.m. Sunday at Krueger Memorial Park parking lot in Michigan City.

Hodges-Hawkins was attending a Sweet 16 party at the Krueger Memorial Hall, and was attempted to leave the facility after an argument and altercation broke out between two young women at the event. After a security guard stopped the party and told everyone to leave, Hodges-Hawkins, who was not part of the argument, was walking away when she was caught in gunfire in the parking lot and died.

Numerous messages on Facebook, comments on websites and witnesses have expressed their sorrow and disbelief that something so tragic could happen to this young woman, who lost her life in a random act of violence. Thursday would have been her 18th birthday, according to her cousins.

If you feel inclined to show this family some compassion, love and caring, please consider donating to help them pay for her funeral and burial. Donations are being accepted at the Coleman & Hicks Funeral Home, 101 N. Karwick Drive, in Michigan City.

By making a donation to convey your condolences and sorrow to this family, you are supporting a group of people who lost a loved one who was very dear to them.

As her 16-year-old cousin said, Ne’Keisha “never had any drama” in her life, and was “really funny, always.”

Please honor that by helping her family in their time of need.

To donate

Donations are being accepted for funeral expenses for Ne'Keisha Hodges-Hawkins at the Coleman & Hicks Funeral Home, 101 N. Karwick Drive, Michigan City.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #14

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...46479903379.txt

Please stop the violence. Stop the bloodshed.

Published: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
According to investigators, it started with an argument.

An argument that escalated into an altercation.

And then, an altercation that escalated into gunfire in the parking lot after a security officer said the party was over and everyone should go home.

Now, 17-year-old Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins is dead from a gunshot wound to the head and former Michigan City High School basketball player James Sanders is recovering from a gunshot wound to his leg.

Witnesses said Hodges-Hawkins wasn’t part of the argument or altercation, and was simply leaving the party when she was fatally shot.

“She just happened to be in the way, I guess,” Hodges-Hawkins cousin said. “The people at the party, some people didn’t like each other.”

So the question remains, how does “some people didn’t like each other,” escalate to gunshots fired in a parking lot?

The event where the shooting took place is being described as a family party to celebrate a Sweet 16 birthday. Why would anyone bring a gun to a family party celebrating someone’s 16th birthday?

It is estimated that 100 to 150 people were at this party when the altercation took place. There was one security guard. It is obvious that one person handling security for this large a party was not enough.

Police have a suspect, 18-year-old Cameron Omar Kent, who has been charged with aggravated battery, criminal recklessness and reckless homicide in the death of Hodges-Hawkins and the wounding of Sanders.

The fact that someone is in custody should give us a sense of closure, but somehow it doesn’t.

A young life was senselessly ended. A 17-year-old girl died because some individuals could not restrain their emotions or conduct enough to walk away from an argument. A 17-year-old girl is dead because someone pulled a gun to make a point about who was going to win an argument. Now look where we are.

At a cemetery.

At a hospital room.

At a jail cell.

In a courtroom.

This incident should not have happened. It should never happen again.

If you remember nothing else from the story of Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins, remember this. She died because “some people didn’t like each other” at a party.

Please, stop the violence. Stop the bloodshed.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 5 2011, 07:02 AM
Post #15

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...38823126046.txt

Shooting suspect appears in court on video Tuesday

By Julie McClure
Staff writer
Published: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
By Julie McClure

Staff writer

MICHIGAN CITY — A not guilty plea was entered in La Porte County Superior Court 1 Tuesday for Cameron Omar Kent, 18, Michigan City, who faces four felony charges in the death of Ne'Keisha Hodges-Hawkins and the wounding of James Sanders outside Krueger Memorial Hall July 24.

Kent appeared on closed circuit camera from the La Porte County Jail at 9 a.m. Tuesday, wearing a baggy orange jail jumpsuit and sitting at a table. He told the court his age and that he was going into the 12th grade in high school. He answered Judge Kathleen B. Lang's questions with "Yes, ma'am." He looked at court documents in front of him as the hearing progressed.

Matthew N. Fech, Griffith, who is Kent's attorney, did not ask for a bond reduction at the hearing. Kent is being held on $25,000 cash bond at the jail facing two counts of aggravated battery, both Class B felonies, one count of criminal recklessness, a Class C felony, and one count of reckless homicide, a Class C felony. The charges were read to Kent during the video hearing.

The possible penalties for each charge were also explained to Kent, including prison sentences of six to 20 years for the Class B felonies and two to eight years for the Class C felonies. The court could impose fines of up to $10,000 on the charges.

Kent's next court hearing is set for Sept. 22 in Superior Court 1 and he is to appear in person for that hearing.

Kent's family members were in the courtroom for the video hearing, but declined to comment. They did confirm that Kent is still in school.

After the hearing, Fech said he did not want to comment at this point. However, when asked if he was concerned about Kent's safety after Michigan City Police officers notified the sheriff's department about some comments being made about retribution toward Kent, Fech said he hopes the legal process will be allowed to take its steps and that retribution would not be an issue.

"I hope they would give Cameron an opportunity to present the defense he might have," Fech said. "I hope the legal course will be allowed to take its steps."

The La Porte Sheriff Department confirmed Kent is being held in a cell by himself while awaiting trial.

Kent is accused of shooting a semi-automatic handgun in an altercation at about 11 p.m. July 24 in the Krueger Memorial Hall parking lot in Michigan City. According to Michigan City police, Hodges-Hawkins, 17, Michigan City, was attending a Sweet 16 party with about 100 to 150 other people when an argument broke out between two young women inside the Krueger hall.

John Wilcher, an off-duty La Porte County Jail corporal, ordered the party shut down and told everyone to leave, according to police.

As the guests left the building, the altercation continued into the parking lot, where up to six gunshots were fired, according to witness accounts to the Michigan City police.

Hodges-Hawkins was not involved in the argument or altercation, but was walking away from the area and is believed to have been caught in the middle of the gunfire, according to her cousin, who was with her at the party.

La Porte County Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Huffman said Hodges-Hawkins body was found on the edge of the roadway on Liberty Trail, close to the park, which is located on U.S. 12, off Liberty Trail. She was pronounced dead at the scene at 11:30 p.m. July 24. An autopsy revealed her cause of death to be a single gunshot wound to the head. Her funeral was this past weekend.

Sanders was shot in the leg in the incident and was treated and released from Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 26 2011, 08:56 AM
Post #16

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...4c800736918.txt

A Sound From On High

Kalvon (from left), Kenyatta and Janice Hodges-Hawkins stand outside the family business at1105 Pine Ave. Photo by Amanda Jacobson
Family renames business in late daughter’s honor; grand-opening celebration this weekend
By Amanda Jacobson
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — Exactly one month after the fatal shooting of local teen Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins at Krueger Memorial Park, her family’s audio shop has been renamed in her honor.

FCS Audio & Rim Shop is now “Monster Audio – Sounds From Above” after Ne’Keisha’s nickname “Monster.”

Janice Hodges-Hawkins, Ne’Keisha’s mother, said the shop was repainted from black, white and red to blue and yellow, Ne’Keisha’s favorite colors.

Monster Audio – Sounds From Above will have a grand-opening celebration from 11 a.m. Friday through 3 p.m. Sunday.

At the grand opening, Kalvon Hodges-Hawkins, Ne’Keisha’s father, said there will be a raffle, as well as T-shirts and buttons available with Ne’Keisha’s picture.

“We want to keep her name living through us,” he said, “because I didn’t want her to be forgotten. So, I dedicated the whole store to her.”

Kalvon redesigned the interior of his shop to include a wall of remembrance, where family and friends have signed their names with messages to Ne’Keisha and her family.

A new display board was made and the outside of the building was painted as part of the memorial to her daughter, Janice said.

Wednesday afternoon, an etched glass window decal showed a tribute to Ne’Keisha, with a picture of her face above it, on one of the shop’s outside windows. Commercial Artist J. Van Smith worked on the shop’s exterior paint, including its new name, spelled out in lime green and yellow.

Kalvon said his family is establishing a foundation to prevent youth from getting their hands on guns at a young age, and plans to name the foundation after Ne’Keisha in some way.

Janice said she remembers her daughter as a funny and carefree girl with a big heart.

“She was a fun-loving, funny and goofy person,” Janice said. “She loved to make people laugh and loved to help people.”

Ne’Keisha graduated from Michigan City High School and wanted to be a relationship counselor and live in California on the beach, Kalvon said.

Ne’Keisha was thinking about attending Baker College in Michigan to continue her education.

Ne’Keisha’s family said they would like to thank the community and all of their family and friends for their support.

“Without all of them, we wouldn’t have been able to bury her,” Janice and Kalvon said. “So we really want to thank everyone that helped us.”
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Sep 26 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #17

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/0...78566965774.txt

Hearing postponed for teen linked to shootings

By Amanda Jacobson
Staff Writer
Published: Friday, September 23, 2011 5:08 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — A court hearing for a local teen who faces charges in the July 24 shooting of two Michigan City teens at Krueger Memorial Park has been postponed until Sept. 29.

Cameron Omar Kent’s hearing was scheduled for 8:30 a.m. Thursday in La Porte Superior Court 1, but on Sept. 16 was requested to be moved by one week by Kent’s attorney, Matthew Fech, according to information from court administrator Marilyn Steinhiser.

Kent, 18, was arrested July 25 by Michigan City police.

The shooting incident occurred in the parking lot of Krueger Memorial Park, 801 Liberty Trail, just after 11 p.m. Sunday, July 24. The shots fired injured former Michigan City High School basketball player James Sanders, 18, Michigan City, and fatally wounded Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

Kent was held on $25,000 cash-only bond before an initial court appearance in La Porte Superior Court 1 on July 28. He appeared through video conference from La Porte County Jail for the initial hearing, in which Fech submitted a not guilty plea.

On Sept. 29, Kent will appear in person in La Porte Superior Court 1 at 8:30 a.m. for his second hearing. He faces two counts of aggravated battery, both Class B felonies, one count of criminal recklessness, a Class C felony, and one count of reckless homicide, a Class C felony.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 3 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #18

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...f5fc8e227f.html

MICHIGAN CITY | Charges have been dropped against a Michigan City man in a July fatal shooting at Krueger Memorial Park, police said.

More than 100 people were at a party when Nekeisha Hodges-Hawkins, 17, was fatally shot in the head July 24.

Police scoured the area that night and recovered a gun and bullet casings. Multiple pieces of evidence were taken from the scene, a news release states.

Cameron Omar Kent, 18, was arrested and charged in the shooting, but police announced Saturday the charges against him in connection with Hodges-Hawkins' death have been dismissed.

Kent, however, is still charged in the shooting of another person that night.

James Sanders was hospitalized after being shot during the park altercation.

Anyone with information about the Hodges-Hawkins shooting is asked to call Detective Sgt. Matt Barr at (219) 874-3221, ext. 324.

The Crimestoppers program is offering $1,000 to anyone who provides police with information that leads to an arrest in the case.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 3 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #19

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...67526227397.txt

Charges linking Kent to teen's death dropped

Police seek second shooter
By Tim Moran and Andrew Tallackson
Staff Writers
Published: Saturday, October 1, 2011 5:07 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — The most serious charges against 18-year-old Cameron Omar Kent that linked him to the July 24 shooting death of 17-year-old Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins have been dropped, one day after he received a Jan. 9, 2012, trial date.

Kent still faces criminal recklessness and aggravated battery charges related to injuries sustained by Michigan City High School basketball player James Sanders. Charges of reckless homicide and aggravated battery related to the death of Hodges-Hawkins are now removed.

Police Chief Mark Swistek said Friday the department has “information of a second shooter” present at the family party at Krueger Memorial Park that proved fatal for Hodges-Hawkins.

“We have spoken to Ne’Keisha’s parents and have informed them we believe another shooter was responsible,” Swistek said, adding the department has been reviewing forensic evidence and reports for the last few weeks before issuing a public statement.

In a press release issued Friday, the police department said it received the results of multiple submitted pieces of crime-scene evidence initially collected at the party July 24.

“It is now the belief by the State of Indiana and the Michigan City Police Department that Cam Kent is not responsible for the death of Ne’Keisha,” the press release states.

Swistek added, “We were all in agreement those charges should be dropped.”

While continuing the investigation and waiting for ballistic results, Swistek said the evidence of Kent being the lone gunman “did not match.”

The interim status date for Kent’s case is set for Oct. 13 in La Porte Superior Court 1, with his trial set to begin fewer than three months later and with Judge Kathleen Lang presiding.

Police have teamed with Crime Stoppers to offer a reward of up to $1,000 to anyone with information leading to the arrest of a second suspect.

“Given the large amount of witnesses in the area and around the victim at the time of the shooting,” the press release states, “it is our belief that there are witnesses who had observed the suspect who fired the weapon that lead to the death of Ms. Hodges-Hawkins.”

Swistek said the department continues to actively seek information on the shooting from the public, having already spoken to “more than 100 witnesses.”

Anyone with information should call Detective Sgt. Matthew Barr at 874-3221, Ext 324.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 7 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #20

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2011/1...1f546037619.txt

Reward offered for tip in teen’s death

By Julie McClure
Staff Writer
Published: Thursday, October 6, 2011 5:09 PM CDT
MICHIGAN CITY — A reward of up to $1,000 is being offered by Crime Stoppers for information about a “second shooter” involved in the fatal shooting of Ne’Keisha Hodges-Hawkins, 17, who died from a gunshot wound to the head July 24 near Krueger Memorial Hall’s parking lot.

Lt. Cindy Kilgore, coordinator for Michiana Crime Stoppers Inc., said the homicide will be the featured case beginning Sunday. Information about it is distributed to various media outlets and is featured on www.MichianaCrimeStoppers.com. Crime Stoppers also is on Facebook.

Hodges-Hawkins was killed July 24 in the aftermath of a birthday party held at Krueger Memorial Hall in Michigan City. Michigan City police said more than 100 juveniles attended the party, which ended early because of an altercation inside the hall. As a large group was walking down Liberty Trail toward Springland Avenue, numerous gunshots were fired.

Hodges-Hawkins body was found on the edge of the roadway on Liberty Trail, according to the La Porte County Coroner’s office. James Sanders, 18, a former Michigan City High School basketball player, was wounded in the leg.

Last Friday, prosecutors dropped the most serious charges against 18-year-old Cameron Omar Kent, charges that linked him to the death of Hodges-Hawkins because police now have “information about a second shooter” present at the family party. Kent still faces criminal recklessness and aggravated battery charges related to injuries sustained by Sanders, but the reckless homicide and aggravated battery charges filed against Kent related to Hodges-Hawkins death were dropped.

Kilgore said Crime Stoppers and police are hoping that anonymity offered by the Crime Stoppers tip line will encourage young people who attended the party to come forward.

“The police know that a lot of people witnessed this shooting,” Kilgore said. “This is a way for individuals to get the information to police without going directly to them.”

Police Chief Mark Swistek said the department went to Crime Stoppers with the case in hopes of bringing forward “reluctant witnesses.”

“My heart goes out to this family – we want to give them some closure in this,” Swistek said.

The police have talked to more than 100 witnesses and are “discouraged” that some are reluctant to give details. Most of the witnesses are 13 to 18 to 19 years old, he added, and many knew Hodges-Hawkins.

“Obviously, some have been more forthcoming than others,” Swistek said.

Swistek hopes the message also goes out to parents of the youth at the party that they need to have an honest sit-down talk with their children about what happened that night after the party.

“They should be asking, ‘What if this was our family?’ If you know something, you have to tell the police,” Swistek said.

Anyone who calls the Crime Stopper tip line at (800) 342-STOP or (574) 288-STOP receives a code number that serves as the individual’s only identification with the organization. Crime Stoppers does not use caller ID and will not ask for a name.

Kilgore explained if the caller’s tip leads to an arrest, the caller collects reward money through a bank, totally anonymously, based on the code number.

To report information

Crime Stoppers is a donor-funded program that serves 12 counties in Michiana. To report information, visit www.Michiana CrimeStoppers.com or call (800) 342-STOP or (574) 288-STOP.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:03 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com