Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lt Gov candidate, City native, Christina Hale interview
Southsider2k12
post Jul 22 2016, 10:47 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Today I have a very special treat for everyone! I got an exclusive interview with the Democratic candidate for Lt Governor, Michigan City's very own Christina Hale. She took some time out from her very busy schedule to talk about what being from here has meant to her, and what things have been like since being tapped by John Gregg as his #2. Thank you so much to Rep. Hale for taking time out to talk to us!

Citybythelake ("CBTL"):What special perspective has been being from here provided you on your journey to becoming a candidate for the #2 job in the state of Indiana?

Representative Christina Hale ("Hale"): Growing up in Michigan City, I experienced a very different Indiana. First, the food – clearly we had the state’s best pizza! But more importantly, seeing my neighbors and friends pick up and move when a parent lost their job in the steel industry or at the trucking plant, still inspires me to this day to continue to fight for good job opportunities for our generation and the next. We have a great place to raise a family, but we need to to take our game to the next level to ensure that families can grow and thrive here.

CBTL: Who have been your biggest influences locally to put you into the position to run for this office today?

Hale: Jan Katz, who founded Imagination Station Childhood Development Center. Back in the 90’s, Jan knew that if we didn’t do more to support early childhood education and working parents our community would not be able to thrive. She inspires me to this day. And of course, my parents and family, who have invested so much into our community over their lifetimes, along with a number of my friends at Purdue North Central. Without them I never would have graduated nor had the personal, academic and career opportunities that now allow me to give back to our community.

CBTL: What do you miss most about your home town?

Hale: Family and the lake. And the pizza! I’m an Albano’s girl.

CBTL: What has your life been like since John Gregg selected you to be his running mate?

Hale: Crazy! But amazing! My day is filled with conversations with so many interesting and concerned people who want to better our state. Farmers, clergy, school kids, working people. It is so interesting and so motivating to be part of a team whose main goal is making Indiana a better place to live. John is a great person to work with, a full partner. Since he’s been through this before, I always feel like I learn something new in our conversations.

CBTL: What has been the biggest impression that has been made upon you as you have traveled around the State of Indiana?

Hale: Two things: first, how tired people are of working longer hours for less money. Indiana needs jobs that pay a living wage; jobs that allow you to simultaneously raise a family and save for the future. Those solid job opportunities continue to be replaced by a lot of lower paying, less secure jobs. Second, the staggering levels of drug addiction occurring at all income levels in rural, urban and suburban Indiana is disturbing, to say the least. John Gregg and I are determined to tackle this issue head on as a public health crisis, not a criminal issue.

CBTL: What have the changes on the Republican side of the ballot meant to your campaign?

Hale: Very little, to be honest. From the start, this campaign has been about offering Hoosiers practical solutions to our most pressing problems, with the overall goal of improving Indiana’s economy and quality of life. John and I want to take the best ideas from Democrats, Republicans, and Independents in order to build a better Indiana. Whoever the Indiana GOP chooses, they will still have to combat our message of inclusivity, which is resonating with Hoosiers across the state.

CBTL: Can we expect a campaign stop in Michigan City?

Hale: Absolutely! I was actually just in the Michigan City 4th of July parade, and I’m up here often with my family.

CBTL: It is now November 9. John Gregg and yourself have won election. What is the first goal you have to improve things in Northwest Indiana?

Hale: Well first, we want to increase the number of jobs that actually pay a living wage. Jobs that allow a person to pay their bills, raise a family, and still save for the future. John Gregg and I have put forth a 35-point economic plan that will get Hoosiers back to work. Some aspects of this plan are supporting Indiana small businesses, building and retaining a skilled workforce, and increasing the transparency of state government. Another aspect of this plan is funding statewide pre-K. If we really want to put Hoosiers back to work, long term, then we must address issues before they appear. Children who are literate before the third grade have a much higher probability of graduating high school, and not ending up in jail or as victims of crime. Furthermore, by instilling a love for learning in children at a young age, Indiana will be able to combat our brain drain by having more citizens who want to stay here after graduation to work and raise a family.

CBTL: Are there any final thoughts you would like to leave the readers with?

Hale: Yes. One of the biggest issues facing Northwest Indiana is the amount of infrastructure that is either in disrepair or under-utilized. The Gregg/Hale infrastructure plan calls for an increase in intermodal opportunities, of which the Region has every type: airports, highways, ports, and railways. We need to invest more in updating our existing infrastructure and find new ways to make use of Northwest Indiana’s diverse modes of transportation, both of which will create good paying jobs. Our plan would invest $3.2
billion over ten years, without raising taxes. This will create good paying jobs, and attract high-level talent to Indiana for years to come.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jesse B
post Jul 22 2016, 12:07 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 999

Insightful interview. . .too bad I will have to vote against the #2 from MC. On the infrastructure front what happened to all the Obama stimulus $$$ that were to go to infrastructure years ago? Evidently she doesn't know LaPorte county well as most people in the county do not want a rail hub in their back yard. Vote Republican, stop the straight ticket voting for Democrats.

+Quote Post
diggler
post Jul 22 2016, 05:22 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 969

I'll vote for any ticket that keeps utilities down. cool.gif
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:57 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com