Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2012/0...ed132882996.txt

Soul Steppers to host 'Show Up & Show Out 5'

By Deborah Sederberg
Staff Writer

Published: Monday, July 9, 2012 5:07 PM CDT

MICHIGAN CITY — The Soul Steppers will be creating plenty of their own award-winning style of sound at the largest drill team competition in the country on Saturday, July 21 at the Wolves Den of Michigan City High School.

But they'll have lots of company as well from 19 competing teams, from all over the Midwest. The event is entitled, "Show Up & Show Out 5." Teams will come from Chicago, Decatur, Ill., Omaha, Neb., Kansas City, Mo. and Kansas City, Kan., Dayton, Ohio, Minneapolis, Minn., St. Paul, Minn. and Cincinnati.

Lyn Isbell, founder and executive director of the award-winning Michigan City Soul Steppers, who traverse the country collecting trophies, said the hometown team, as hosts of the July 21 competition, will not be competing. "But we will be performing," she said.

Her advice to the community is to "Get your tickets early. The doors open at 4 p.m. and the performance begins at 5 p.m." on July 21. "Tickets sell out early," she noted. Besides, those who purchase in advance get a $2 discount. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Children age 5 and younger are admitted free of charge.

This is the fifth year of the competition, noted Isbell.

Last year, near the end of Mayor Chuck Oberlie's term in office, he and Ed Merrion, who works on housing issues for Catholic Charities and a former Michigan City Humanitarian of the Year, had a trophy case built for the Soul Steppers trophy collection, where at least some of the awards now can be seen in City Hall.

For a while Isbell had almost nowhere to sit in her own living room because the trophies took up so much space.

She's proud of the trophies, Isbell admits, but she's even prouder of the performers. "It's all about the kids," she said.

"We also want people to know that the Wolves Den Gym is air-conditioned," she added.

This event is a fund-raiser for the Soul Steppers, who have performed in New York, Chicago and in Washington, D.C.

A couple of popular Chicago radio personalities, Tone and Shag, of Power 92.3, will serve as the Masters of Ceremony for the competition.

Sponsors of the drill team competition are the Michigan City Summer Festival Committee, The News-Dispatch, Michigan City Housing Development Inc., the La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau, NIPSCO and the Burnham Glove Company.

Tickets are available at Captain Ed's Candy Island, the Michigan City Housing Authority, the Michigan City Senior Center, the office of the Department of Parks and Recreation at City Hall or by calling Isbell at 874-2607 or at (219) 809-1155.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Jul 17 2012, 03:56 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

I spent my youth marching with the Maple City Cadets drum corps, and it was a great thing for a kid back then. Learning teamwork and music at the same time - so great. And so much fun! So I think this is a positive step for young folks in MC.

Hats off to The Soul Steppers!
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 18 2012, 05:35 AM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

I went last year and it was an awesome show. I'm going to go to Captain Ed's later today and get my ticket for Saturday.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:22 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com