Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2012 Michigan City Wolves Football thread
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 12:07 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Of course the first post of the season is a sad one. Jr WR Donnie Wilson is going to miss a big chunk of the season with a torn up, and surgically repaired, thumb, according to his facebook page. That is too bad as he is one of the most talented kids we have coming back.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 10 2012, 01:03 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 7

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 10 2012, 12:07 PM) *

Of course the first post of the season is a sad one. Jr WR Donnie Wilson is going to miss a big chunk of the season with a torn up, and surgically repaired, thumb, according to his facebook page. That is too bad as he is one of the most talented kids we have coming back.

This is awful news. As you know, I think quite highly of Wilson's ability. The kid has a future as a WR, imo. This stinks. He's a terrific kid, too.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 01:14 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 10 2012, 02:03 PM) *

This is awful news. As you know, I think quite highly of Wilson's ability. The kid has a future as a WR, imo. This stinks. He's a terrific kid, too.

Yeah, the two biggest things to be excited about for City this year were Java Oliver and Donnie Wilson.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 02:40 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 10 2012, 03:34 PM) *

I wouldn't be too concerned. . . he only uses one arm to catch a pass anyway. Hopefully this wasn't that arm. Did he hurt it playing basketball(AAU) as he looked fine at practice last week.

Donnie said he hurt it playing football and that he was going to miss about half of the season.

iight i hope yall ready for tthis *sigh........ i broke my thumb in 2 places.... dislocated it and tore the ligaments and tendents in it...i have to have a plate in it so that means surgery so umm yup i have no pixs of it so dont asked and ummmy july is done (6 to 8 weeks) sad.gif imma miss my wolves yo.! #in so much pain.

Good news I will be having my surgery tomorrow.... Bad news is that i will be missing half the season :/
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 10 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 10 2012, 02:48 PM) *

If he has the surgery he might as well stay out this year fully recover and get ready for basketball. Come back strong for a senior season. Always sorry to see an injury but that is part of the game. The Wolves are thin everywhere and this could be a bad omen. Two years ago they had about 20 kids hurt before the season ended. Who knows they may have a young kid who can step up and contribute. You never want to lose a returning starter so this is just one more question mark for the upcoming season. Probably a question of just as much concern would be who is going to get the ball to the receivers and will they have enough time to drop back?

I'm anxious to see Ryan Washington under center, if he gets that opportunity this season. That kid, like his brother, has a lot of physical tools. Hopefully he takes full advantage of them.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 10 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 10 2012, 03:50 PM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 10 2012, 02:48 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
If he has the surgery he might as well stay out this year fully recover and get ready for basketball. Come back strong for a senior season. Always sorry to see an injury but that is part of the game. The Wolves are thin everywhere and this could be a bad omen. Two years ago they had about 20 kids hurt before the season ended. Who knows they may have a young kid who can step up and contribute. You never want to lose a returning starter so this is just one more question mark for the upcoming season. Probably a question of just as much concern would be who is going to get the ball to the receivers and will they have enough time to drop back?
I'm anxious to see Ryan Washington under center, if he gets that opportunity this season. That kid, like his brother, has a lot of physical tools. Hopefully he takes full advantage of them.

Ryan is pretty raw. He is going to be a bit of a project IMO. He has some physical tools for sure, and I sure would feel better if he was 6'3" like Rodney.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 10 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

I want to wish a speedy recovery to Mr. Donnie Wilson. His health and well being is first and foremost.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 11 2012, 10:13 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 11 2012, 10:54 AM) *

I agree. Rest up, rehabilitate, do your physical therapy when you are cleared and get ready for basketball this winter. You don't want to rush a thumb, wrist, hand injury if you are a receiver. It would be similar to a pitcher/QB with an elbow or shoulder injury coming back too soon.

yep. Resist the urge to get back on the field too soon, and to do permanent damage.
+Quote Post
MC Born & Raised
post Jul 11 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Jul 11 2012, 10:13 AM) *

cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 11 2012, 10:54 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I agree. Rest up, rehabilitate, do your physical therapy when you are cleared and get ready for basketball this winter. You don't want to rush a thumb, wrist, hand injury if you are a receiver. It would be similar to a pitcher/QB with an elbow or shoulder injury coming back too soon.
yep. Resist the urge to get back on the field too soon, and to do permanent damage.

There's no reason to sit out just because. If he's cleared by doctors he should get on the field. But only when he's cleared by his doctor.

In my opinion, this kid's future is in football — or at least he has a better shot at a good scholarship in football than in basketball — and the junior year is HUGE for recruiting purposes. I'm sure he, his parents and coaches are well aware of that. Not that they'll push him back too fast, but scouts are going to want to see something on tape if at all possible from the junior year.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 12 2012, 08:48 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(MC Born & Raised @ Jul 11 2012, 01:44 PM) *

There's no reason to sit out just because. If he's cleared by doctors he should get on the field. But only when he's cleared by his doctor.

In my opinion, this kid's future is in football — or at least he has a better shot at a good scholarship in football than in basketball — and the junior year is HUGE for recruiting purposes. I'm sure he, his parents and coaches are well aware of that. Not that they'll push him back too fast, but scouts are going to want to see something on tape if at all possible from the junior year.

The City training staff has always struck me as fairly conservative. I can't ever recall them sending a player back out there too early. Which when you are dealing with kids this age, who will probably never play again after high school, is the right thing to do.

I do agree that Wilson's future is on the gridiron. Unless he finds an outside shot, or some handles, he is a back of the bench HS basketball player.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 12 2012, 02:20 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Just a reminder that Giorgio Karallas will be among the competitors tomorrow evening at the Grange Insurance North-South All-Star Classic at North Central High School in Indianapolis. Taylor James from La Porte will also be playing. The game can be seen online at www.broadcastsport.net
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 12 2012, 02:21 PM
Post #12

Good luck to Giorgio. City is going to miss that kid this year.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 17 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Jesse B @ Jul 17 2012, 08:44 PM) *

I read where Giorgio was absent from the North-South All Star game along with 3 or 4 other North players. Too bad. I also heard the Wolves had a scrimmage against Homewood-Floosmor today. Did anyone go and how did they look?
Many of them were already at college.
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 20 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Picked up my copy of the 2012 Indiana Football Digest at Reader's World inside the Marquette Dungeon this afternoon. One thing I noticed is coach Jeff Karras will not be returning to the Wolves sideline this season after his much ballyhooed departure from South Central to come here last season.

Here's Paul R. Condry's profile of the 2012 Michigan City Wolves:

Head Coach:

Michael Karpinski
4th Season
Overall Record 8-22 (.266)
Record at MCHS: 1-9 (.100)
High School: Hastings (MI) (1987)
College: Hillsdale (1991)

Coaching Staff: Scott Ormsley (DC), Doug Robertson, Ron Gaston, Willie Henderson, Nick Stimac, Mike Walker, Tim Gault, Bill Karpinski

2012 Schedule:

8/17 GARY ROOSEVELT
8/24 at South Bend Washington
8/31 at Chesterton
9/7 VALPARAISO
9/14 at Merrillville
9/21 LAKE CENTRAL
9/28 at Portage
10/5 LA PORTE
10/12 CROWN POINT

2011 Results

Gary Roosevelt W, 46-0
South Bend Washington L, 40-21
Chesterton L, 48-14
at Valparaiso L, 38-21
Merrillville L, 38-0
at Lake Central L, 35-9
Portage L, 12-7
at La Porte L, 28-14
at Crown Point L, 24-7
SECTIONAL
Chesterton L, 28-7

Impact Players
Name, HT, WT, Class, Position
Ryan Washington 6-0, 180, So., QB
Anthony Lemon 6-0, 170, Jr. QB/DB
Ryan Jones 5-9, 170, Jr., RB
Marcus Horton Jr. 5-6, 155, Jr., RB
Cameron McFarrin 5-6, 155 Sr., RB
Donovan Wilson, 6-3, 185, Jr., WR
Scott Kaletha, 6-1, 175, Jr., WR
Joe Kosakowski, 6-3, 185, Sr., WR
Marquis Martin, 5-11, 165, Sr., WR
Marcus Swartzlander, 200, Sr., TE
Scott Paull, 6-1, 225, Jr., OL
Alante Nichols, 5-11, 265, Sr., OL
Hunter Worblewski, 6-4, 270, So., OL
Lu Wang, 6-1, 230, Sr. OL/LS
Jacob Kubath, 6-2, 255, Jr. OL
Ryan Venters, 6-3, 290, So, OL
JaVarrie Oliver, 6-3, 230, Jr., DL
James Washington, 5-10, 225, Sr. DL
Daniel Lemon, 6-2, 240, Sr., DL/P
Michael Simmons, 5-11, 270, Sr., DL
C.J. Sanders, 5-10, 205, Sr., LB
Erik Rose, 6-2, 215, Sr., LB
Joe Fox, 5-9, 200, Sr., LB
Jacob Hauskins, 5-10, 165, Sr., DB
Zakery Chappell, 5-11, 170, Sr., DB
Erik Stevenson, 6-1, 170, Jr. K

Key Losses

Name Pos College
Giorgio Karallas LB St. Joseph's
Trent Ormsby, DL Marian
Kevin Kreigbaum OL Benedictine
Josh Gondeck TE Marian
Anthony Catchings III RB/LB
Marcellus Willis DB Indianapolis
Joel Hirsch QB

Tournament History
Sectional: None
Regional: None
Semistate: None
State: None

Michigan City had their third different head coach in 2011 as Michael Karpinski took over the Wolves program. Unfortunately for the Wolves, it was a rough start under Karpinski as they struggled through a 1-9 season, with their lone victory a 46-0 decision over Gary Roosevelt in the season opener. The stability of having the same coach for the second straight season should help the Wolves be a much better team this year, and having 15 returning starters back under his system can only benefit the Michigan City team in 2012 as well.

Sophomore Ryan Washington got a few starts last year, and returns as the Wolves' quarterback this year. Junior Ryan Jones appears to have secured the starting running back position for Michigan City this season.. Two of the team's top athletes return at wide receiver in juniors Scott Kaletha (6'1, 175) and Donovan Wilson (6'3 ,185). The Wolves have three starters back along the offensive line from last year as tackle Jacob Kubath (6'2, 265) returns for his junior year and is joined by returning senior guards Alante Nichols (5'11, 265) and Lu Wang (6'1, 230). Junior Scott Paull steps in to replace All-Duneland performer Kevin Kreighbaum at center for the Wolves this season.

Nine starters are back defensivly for Coach Karpinski's 3-5 scheme this season. The defensive line should be solid as junior Javarrie Oliver and senior James Washington return at the end spots, while senior Daniel Lemon is back at the nose tackle spot. All-State linebacker Giorgio Karallas has moved to St. Joseph's College; however, seniors Erik Rose and C.J. Sanders return at linebacker this season for Michigan City, while in the secondary, seniors Jacob Hauskins and Zach Chappell return, as does junior Anthony Lemon. Daniel Lemon will also handle the punting duties for the Wolves while junior Erik Stevenson returns as the placekicker.

Coach Karpinski has a solid group of juniors and seniors and says his team is very coachable and understands the team concept very well. Combine that with an unbeaten freshman class, and things could be looking up for the Wolves in the future. "If we can continue to play at a high level for four quarters, and not just in spurts, we'll be successful," he says of this year's team. "I'm excited about our skill players, and if they can make plays, and our young offensive line can come together, we'll be ok."
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Jul 30 2012, 03:43 AM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

The August issue of MAB monthly has the 2012 Region Football Preview including a feature article entitled "Fun Facts About Michigan City Football" by yours truly.

http://midamericabroadcasting.com/files/Au...MAB_Monthly.pdf
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jul 31 2012, 08:43 AM
Post #16

Well Donnie Wilson will be out the first half of the season due to thumb surgery. Let's hope we have other skill players ready to step in. A lot of this season will rest of the arm and legs of Ryan Washington.
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 1 2012, 07:30 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,114

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]
QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Jul 20 2012, 05:40 PM) *

Picked up my copy of the 2012 Indiana Football Digest at Reader's World inside the Marquette Dungeon this afternoon. One thing I noticed is coach Jeff Karras will not be returning to the Wolves sideline this season after his much ballyhooed departure from South Central to come here last season.

Here's Paul R. Condry's profile of the 2012 Michigan City Wolves:

Head Coach:

Michael Karpinski
4th Season
Overall Record 8-22 (.266)
Record at MCHS: 1-9 (.100)
High School: Hastings (MI) (1987)
College: Hillsdale (1991)

Coaching Staff: Scott Ormsley (DC), Doug Robertson, Ron Gaston, Willie Henderson, Nick Stimac, Mike Walker, Tim Gault, Bill Karpinski

2012 Schedule:

8/17 GARY ROOSEVELT
8/24 at South Bend Washington
8/31 at Chesterton
9/7 VALPARAISO
9/14 at Merrillville
9/21 LAKE CENTRAL
9/28 at Portage
10/5 LA PORTE
10/12 CROWN POINT

2011 Results

Gary Roosevelt W, 46-0
South Bend Washington L, 40-21
Chesterton L, 48-14
at Valparaiso L, 38-21
Merrillville L, 38-0
at Lake Central L, 35-9
Portage L, 12-7
at La Porte L, 28-14
at Crown Point L, 24-7
SECTIONAL
Chesterton L, 28-7

Impact Players
Name, HT, WT, Class, Position
Ryan Washington 6-0, 180, So., QB
Anthony Lemon 6-0, 170, Jr. QB/DB
Ryan Jones 5-9, 170, Jr., RB
Marcus Horton Jr. 5-6, 155, Jr., RB
Cameron McFarrin 5-6, 155 Sr., RB
Donovan Wilson, 6-3, 185, Jr., WR
Scott Kaletha, 6-1, 175, Jr., WR
Joe Kosakowski, 6-3, 185, Sr., WR
Marquis Martin, 5-11, 165, Sr., WR
Marcus Swartzlander, 200, Sr., TE
Scott Paull, 6-1, 225, Jr., OL
Alante Nichols, 5-11, 265, Sr., OL
Hunter Worblewski, 6-4, 270, So., OL
Lu Wang, 6-1, 230, Sr. OL/LS
Jacob Kubath, 6-2, 255, Jr. OL
Ryan Venters, 6-3, 290, So, OL
JaVarrie Oliver, 6-3, 230, Jr., DL
James Washington, 5-10, 225, Sr. DL
Daniel Lemon, 6-2, 240, Sr., DL/P
Michael Simmons, 5-11, 270, Sr., DL
C.J. Sanders, 5-10, 205, Sr., LB
Erik Rose, 6-2, 215, Sr., LB
Joe Fox, 5-9, 200, Sr., LB
Jacob Hauskins, 5-10, 165, Sr., DB
Zakery Chappell, 5-11, 170, Sr., DB
Erik Stevenson, 6-1, 170, Jr. K

Key Losses

Name Pos College
Giorgio Karallas LB St. Joseph's
Trent Ormsby, DL Marian
Kevin Kreigbaum OL Benedictine
Josh Gondeck TE Marian
Anthony Catchings III RB/LB
Marcellus Willis DB Indianapolis
Joel Hirsch QB

Tournament History
Sectional: None
Regional: None
Semistate: None
State: None

Michigan City had their third different head coach in 2011 as Michael Karpinski took over the Wolves program. Unfortunately for the Wolves, it was a rough start under Karpinski as they struggled through a 1-9 season, with their lone victory a 46-0 decision over Gary Roosevelt in the season opener. The stability of having the same coach for the second straight season should help the Wolves be a much better team this year, and having 15 returning starters back under his system can only benefit the Michigan City team in 2012 as well.

Sophomore Ryan Washington got a few starts last year, and returns as the Wolves' quarterback this year. Junior Ryan Jones appears to have secured the starting running back position for Michigan City this season.. Two of the team's top athletes return at wide receiver in juniors Scott Kaletha (6'1, 175) and Donovan Wilson (6'3 ,185). The Wolves have three starters back along the offensive line from last year as tackle Jacob Kubath (6'2, 265) returns for his junior year and is joined by returning senior guards Alante Nichols (5'11, 265) and Lu Wang (6'1, 230). Junior Scott Paull steps in to replace All-Duneland performer Kevin Kreighbaum at center for the Wolves this season.

Nine starters are back defensivly for Coach Karpinski's 3-5 scheme this season. The defensive line should be solid as junior Javarrie Oliver and senior James Washington return at the end spots, while senior Daniel Lemon is back at the nose tackle spot. All-State linebacker Giorgio Karallas has moved to St. Joseph's College; however, seniors Erik Rose and C.J. Sanders return at linebacker this season for Michigan City, while in the secondary, seniors Jacob Hauskins and Zach Chappell return, as does junior Anthony Lemon. Daniel Lemon will also handle the punting duties for the Wolves while junior Erik Stevenson returns as the placekicker.

Coach Karpinski has a solid group of juniors and seniors and says his team is very coachable and understands the team concept very well. Combine that with an unbeaten freshman class, and things could be looking up for the Wolves in the future. "If we can continue to play at a high level for four quarters, and not just in spurts, we'll be successful," he says of this year's team. "I'm excited about our skill players, and if they can make plays, and our young offensive line can come together, we'll be ok."

+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 1 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #18

Yes we will miss Donnie but unfortunately injuries do happen. He is still part of our team and we look forward to when he is healed. I need to get down and pick up my copy of this magazine, thank you for posting it. Incase everyone has forgotten--our Wolves JV team went 6-3 last year. They are very proud of this and plan on doing the same this year. Yes there is work to be done but this is the first year we have had depth in the line and not just a couple key players. It is more important to have a team that plays well together because they are equal than to have one stand out. The bottom line is---no matter how well prepared your team is there will be hurdles to jump. The important part is to get the kids willing to go the highest they can, all game and all season. Hope to see everyone at Friday nights scrimmage and there will be Wolves glasses, stadium blankets and lunch coolers for sale that evening. We need to get this town fired up and get the adrenaline going. GO WOLVES !!!
+Quote Post
MSFOOTBALL
post Aug 1 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Aug 1 2012, 07:30 AM) *

[font=Times New Roman][size=4]

[size=6]
Thank you for posting. We are very excited to see this season and hope that everyone comes out to the games on Friday nights or JV on Saturday mornings to support this great group of young men.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Aug 1 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(MSFOOTBALL @ Aug 1 2012, 09:10 AM) *

Yes we will miss Donnie but unfortunately injuries do happen. He is still part of our team and we look forward to when he is healed. I need to get down and pick up my copy of this magazine, thank you for posting it. Incase everyone has forgotten--our Wolves JV team went 6-3 last year. They are very proud of this and plan on doing the same this year. Yes there is work to be done but this is the first year we have had depth in the line and not just a couple key players. It is more important to have a team that plays well together because they are equal than to have one stand out. The bottom line is---no matter how well prepared your team is there will be hurdles to jump. The important part is to get the kids willing to go the highest they can, all game and all season. Hope to see everyone at Friday nights scrimmage and there will be Wolves glasses, stadium blankets and lunch coolers for sale that evening. We need to get this town fired up and get the adrenaline going. GO WOLVES !!!

I will say one thing, for a 1-9 they played harder than any City team I have seen in a long time. It was really telling when one of the opposing coaches asked to address our huddle last year ( I want to say it was Chesterton) and talked about how hard the kids played, and how gutsy they were.

I am looking forward to the season. Hopefully the lines hold up, and allow the skill players to showcase those talents.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:34 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com