IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What's wrong with Michigan City?, Towns around us grow while MC stagnates. What's wrong?
SouthSider
post Nov 12 2014, 12:15 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,367

I wasn't born here, but I've lived here since 1978. The town appeared to be thriving in the 1990's, but has fallen on hard times and can't seem to find a way forward. The Warren Building has been a blight on downtown for a number of years, but with the renovation by Artspace, hopefully this will revitalize the area. The general population would like to see downtown flourish like the old days, but that's not going to happen because the population that used to be in the area has moved south.

We have been in discussions as manufacturers have been looking for fertile fields to build in. Michigan City has several advantages with plenty of water available, very affordable housing, and available transportation access to most major markets. Even the school system which suffered greatly under Supt. Harding is showing improvement and is striving to improve despite funding issues.

Chesterton and LaPorte are smaller towns that are growing while we stagnate. Any thoughts or suggestions for the Mayor??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 12 2014, 04:12 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

Michigan City stagnating? Yes, I suppose that's true - if you ignore the forward movement by the UAD and other groups who are working hard for the improvement of Our Fair City.
+Quote Post
Groucho
post Nov 12 2014, 04:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 1,319

QUOTE(SouthSider @ Nov 12 2014, 12:15 PM) *

I wasn't born here, but I've lived here since 1978. The town appeared to be thriving in the 1990's, but has fallen on hard times and can't seem to find a way forward. The Warren Building has been a blight on downtown for a number of years, but with the renovation by Artspace, hopefully this will revitalize the area. The general population would like to see downtown flourish like the old days, but that's not going to happen because the population that used to be in the area has moved south.

We have been in discussions as manufacturers have been looking for fertile fields to build in. Michigan City has several advantages with plenty of water available, very affordable housing, and available transportation access to most major markets. Even the school system which suffered greatly under Supt. Harding is showing improvement and is striving to improve despite funding issues.

Chesterton and LaPorte are smaller towns that are growing while we stagnate. Any thoughts or suggestions for the Mayor??

I lived in Michigan City from 1955 to 1981. I went grew up and went to school here. I was back recently and saw there seems to be an overall decline in economic development.

An appropriate response by City leadership might be to look at the neighboring towns and cites and see what they are doing that MC is not. Or, on the other hand, is MC doing something it shouldn't be doing. Looking at it from the outside, if I were in business why would I want to locate in Michigan City rather than Chesterton, Valpo, LaPorte or somewhere else nearby?

How friendly is this town to start up business? Is it offering the same terms and conditions as neighbor towns? That might be one place to look.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:52 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com