IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NICTD may use eminent domain to grab Illiana Block land, Train yard site possible?
Southsider2k12
post Dec 8 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Talking to some people in the know in the Pines, word is that NICTD is trying to get a hold of the property at the former Illiana Block site on Highway 12, just west of Michigan City/ LaPorte County limits, and turn it into some sort of a train yard. The Town of the Pines doesn't want to see that happen, their vision is for the Highway 12 corridor to turn into a more green space, as you see once you get west of Beverly Shores. Sounds like NICTD could try using eminent domain to seize the property.

Personally, I would love to see the land rolled into the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore park, and be fully protected.

Stay tuned, I'll have more as I hear it.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 8 2014, 02:17 PM
Post #2

I didn't realize that the Chesterton paper already had the story.

http://chestertontribune.com/Northwest%20I..._looms_in_2.htm

Pines land buy OK’d

On Porter County Commissioner John Evans’ motion the NICTD board authorized Noland to take all means necessary, including eminent domain, to acquire 17.5 acres for a new South Shore rail yard in the Town of Pines.

The two parcels are located on the north side of U.S. 12 west of LaPorte/Porter County Line Road; a concrete-block company once operated on a portion of the site.

Noland said the South Shore’s Carroll Avenue yard on the east side of Michigan City has no room for expansion. The Pines yard would provide storage for up to 90 train cars, a wash house and repair shop. He noted the site is possibly the only property in the area so well suited for the South Shore’s use.

After the meeting he said engineering and development likely would take place over the next 36 months.

In the event the South Shore’s long-planned West Lake expansion south from Hammond to Dyer is approved and built, Noland said The Pines storage yard especially will be needed. West Lake currently is in the environmental-impact analysis phase.

In other business, Noland and staff reported the district has a winter action plan in place that emphasizes safety and communication. Bill O’Dea said NICTD has 160 tons of salt on hand at $131 per ton and 40 more tons ordered.

Also Friday, State Sen. James Arnold of LaPorte County, ranking minority member of the Senate Transportation Committee, addressed the board saying he’s an enthusiastic South Shore supporter and offered his contacts and assistance to the district.
[
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Dec 8 2014, 02:23 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 929

There is plenty acres of vacant and run down properties along the NICTD line in the city of Gary that could be used for the train yard.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 17 2014, 02:48 PM
Post #4

Having given more thought to the story that NICTD was trying to acquire the old Illiana Block land to build a rail yard on the land, I think this probably means really bad news for Michigan City. I have to think if they are making that kind of an investment in the Pines, and are referring to the fact they need it because they don't have room on Carroll Ave, it probably means that NICTD's days in Michigan City are numbered. They already moved the corporate offices out to the Dune Park Station years ago. This could very well mean the closing of the long term facility, and another big hole in City. NICTD hasn't said what their intentions are for Carroll Ave, yet, but it is a question someone should be getting a public answer to. Hopefully either our local political leadership, or media, is doing it.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com