Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Local man battles cancer, needs help
Southsider2k12
post Oct 2 2007, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I will disclose up front that this is a cousin of mine. If anyone is interested in helping, they can also contact me directly through here.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...;ArticleID=5020

Man battling cancer, finances
Eric Robb diagnosed with melanoma of the eye; fundraiser slated.

Deborah Sederberg
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - On the day before his 26th birthday, Eric Robb was on a routine visit to his optometrist. But it turned into a nightmare.

His optometrist consulted with two ophthalmologists after finding an anomaly during the examination. The three were looking at malignant melanoma of the eye, a rare and potentially deadly cancer.

Not only was Robb faced with a life-threatening illness, but he faced it with no health insurance.

Robb works construction for a Michigan company, but his employer offers no health insurance.

"He's a really hard-working guy. He's responsible, pays his bills on time," his mother, Kathie Robb, said.

Kathie Robb, who formerly worked in radiology for Health Partners Medical Group, knows how financially devastating a life-threatening illness can be.

She is grateful to the Open Door Health Center and St. Anthony Memorial. Together, they provided free testing to determine whether the cancer had spread to other parts of the body. The good news is it has not.

Robb then saw a physician in Chicago and received treatment in Indianapolis.

In late June, he applied for Medicaid in the local office of the Indiana Family and Social Service Administration, but learned in August that the paperwork had not yet been sent to Indianapolis.

Dr. Rade Pejic, a long-time advocate for universal health care, is appalled at Robb's situation.

"I tell you, next to terrorism, the health care issue is the biggest problem our country faces," he said.

Now, the Robb family is working with an advocacy group connected to the American Cancer Society.

And Robb's family and friends are organizing a fund raiser.

A benefit spaghetti dinner along with silent and live auction is scheduled for 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20 at the Moose Lodge 980.

Robb is touched by the response of friends and family members and by the community.

Her husband is drawing upon his retirement fund to pay some of Eric's medical expenses.

Her son's life now depends on the kindness of others, she said.

Tickets are $20 per person in advance and $25 at the door. Professional auctioneer Lee Wainscott has donated his services for the evening and Matt Kis of Great Lakes Catering is donating the food for the event. DJ entertainment will be donated by Dustin Moisan.

To donate auction items, call Bergs Floral at 872-0611. For tickets or to make cash donations, contact Marisa Lucero at 898-7661, Lori Robb at (219) 221-6352 or Kathie Robb at 872-6230.

"Any donation, no matter how small is welcome," Kathie Robb said.

"I am asking for community support because without funding my son will be denied treatment. Without treatment my son will not live."

Contact Deborah Sederberg at dsederberg@thenewsdispatch.com
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Oct 3 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 3

Is there a trust fund set up somewhere to collect the moolah that people wold want to send in?

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 3 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 3 2007, 01:38 PM) *

Is there a trust fund set up somewhere to collect the moolah that people wold want to send in?

I do believe they have an account set up. Kathie Robb would be the person to ask for a detailed answer.
+Quote Post
BioTeach
post Oct 3 2007, 01:22 PM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 9

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Oct 3 2007, 01:38 PM) *

There is an account set up at Horizon Bank. The name of the account is "The Eric Robb Fund." Money can be deposited directly into the account. If this is inconvenient, anyone who is interested can contact myself or southsider and we will do the foot work.

Thanks to all who are even considering contributing. Thanks also to all those that are supporting via other means (prayer and well wishes.)
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 15 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #5

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

A benefit spaghetti dinner along with silent and live auction is scheduled for 6 to 10 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20 at the Moose Lodge 980.

Tickets are $20 per person in advance and $25 at the door. Professional auctioneer Lee Wainscott has donated his services for the evening and Matt Kis of Great Lakes Catering is donating the food for the event. DJ entertainment will be donated by Dustin Moisan.

To donate auction items, call Bergs Floral at 872-0611. For tickets or to make cash donations, contact Marisa Lucero at 898-7661, Lori Robb at (219) 221-6352 or Kathie Robb at 872-6230.

With all of the recent publicity about Chris Smith, let's not forget about this event for Eric Robb.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 15 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #6

I have tickets if anyone is interested!

Thanks for the bump...
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 24 2007, 11:46 AM
Post #7

Really Comfortable

How did the fundraiser go?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 24 2007, 11:49 AM
Post #8

I haven't talked to my Aunt (his mom) to see what the final totals were, but there was something like 150 people there, and I know the silent auctions also did well. We didn't stay for the whole thing, because we had a really tired baby, with an upset stomach. The event went really well IMO.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 24 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

I'm glad to hear it. If you do another event, let us know!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 24 2007, 12:06 PM
Post #10

Hopefully there is no need for another event, because the cancer never spread to anywhere else.

Knowing his mom, there should be a follow up story in the papers anyday now, complete with a ton of "thank-you's"
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 5 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #11

They are currently stuck in the red tape of trying to get approved for Medicade. They have had their application in for about 5 months, and still no real movement.

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...77&TM=49837

Donors Turned Out For Eric Robb
We sincerely thank everyone who helped make Eric Robb's benefit a success. A special thank you to Al and Judi Schnick, Debbie McDonnell, Marisa Lucero, Mick Mullins, Lori Robb, Quinten Moore, Ashley Oman, Sharry Lind, Debbie Lucero and Otto Speary who worked very hard at making this a successful event.

Also, a huge thank you to Matt Kis-Great Lakes Catering for the delicious spaghetti dinner, Jim Pizarek for the Moose Lodge, Dustin Moisan of DJUNLTD for the great music, Tom Root of Root Funeral Home for donating the fliers and tickets, Terry Holt and family for an outstanding job organizing the kitchen and serving the food, and auctioneer Lee Wainscott, who made the live auction exciting!

A sincere thank you to Bill Loshbough-Loshbough Construction, Andy Raymond, Randy Koth, Wally Yoost, Cloud Nine Fishing Charters, D&M Excavation, Berg's Florist, Mary Terry, The News Dispatch-Deborah Sederberg and the Herald Argus-Cathy, Bob and Christina.

Also, a huge thank you to all the businesses who donated toward our auction: Action Car Wash, Albano's, Apex Muffler, attorney Barry McDonnell, attorney Steven Snyder, Awesome Car Wash, Baker's Square, Barker Inn, Beachside Gardens, Beyond the Sun, Big C Lumber-Three Oaks, bp gas station, Brandt's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Callosum Creative-Clare Hefferren, Chicago Cubs-Rich Hill, City Lanes, Cold Stone Creamery, Colima Restaurant, Culver's, Curves-M.C., Designer Fragrances and Cosmetic Co.-Elissa Moore, Duneland Beach Inn, East Side Produce, Erickson Jewelers, Fast Eddie's, Flooring Center, Four Stop Bar, Framing Station-Joanne Finney, Godfather's Pizza, Hacienda, Hair Cutter-Dunes Plaza, Hammer's, Hardesty Flooring, Heritage Real Estate Appraisal-Al and Laurie Landing, Higher Ground Books, Hirsch Ford, Horizon Bank, Hot Sun In The City, Jewel, Jiffy Lube, John's Package Liquor, Judee's, K&M Foods, King Richard's, Knoll Bros. gas station, Lange's Meat Market, La Porte Community Federal Credit Union, Linda Neulieb's Salon, Liquor Vault, Lucky and Sunny Food Mart, LULAC, MC Baking-Debbie Lucero, MC Car Wash, MC Signs-Tim Lewis, Mainstreet Café, Malcer Construction, Menards, Metro Beverages-Michelle Shula, Michiana Insurance-Jim McNallan, Michiana Medex, Nature's Cupboard, North Central Veterinarian Emergency Center-Nancy Moisan, O'Brien's Tires, Pampered Chef, Flash-PC Depot, Pet Pals, Red Lobster, Rodini's-Larry Fegaras, Santiago's, Schoop's, Snyder Insurance, St. Paul Lutheran School, Starbuck's, Steak and Shake, Team Honda-Earl Cunningham, The Great Escape, Three Sheets Bar, Trail Creek Liquor, Tylisz, Valvoline, Wagner's, Waterford Storage, West Marine and Wright's Flowers.

Donations can still be made at Horizon Bank, The Eric Robb Fund For Continuing Medical Expenses.

Eric, Kathie and Brown Robb

Michigan City
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Nov 6 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

I didn't know you're related to Eric Southsider. He's a great guy and always good for a laugh. I was supposed to be at the event but was out of town. I did make a donation though.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 16 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #13

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=40640.32

Community At Large Helped Family
Because of the length of our last thank-you, a few thank-yous were omitted. We give a huge thank you to all the generous donations given by the community for which our gratitude cannot be expressed in words. If we have forgotten anyone, please accept our apologies. Your continuous thoughts and prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Eric, Kathie and Brown Robb

Michigan City
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:22 PM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com