Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Michigan City Scholarship Foundation thread, 50th anniversary thread
Southsider2k12
post Oct 8 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

For most in Michigan City I don't think they know that this group even exists. I'll be honest when I say, before I was asked to serve, I had no idea who they were. After I started working with them and learned a bit more about them, I decided to try to change that.

The Michigan City Scholarship Foundation was founded in 1959 by three local educators. The lady who made the very first donation to establish this group was named Frances Sebestra. Sebestra was a PE teacher at Elston for many, many years. They established this group in order to help kids living in the Michigan City Area Schools district get some monetary help in going to college. I am lucky enough to be in possession of a folder containing many of the ads and campaigns that the organization has used over the years going back all of the way to 1963. I will try to get some of those posted for you, but there are many familiar names and faces who have both been helped, and served for the Scholarship Foundation.

In the 50 years since the MCSF was established they have given out over $1,000,000 to local kids furthering their educations. They estimate they have helped between 1100 and 1200 different kids over that time period. This year alone we wrote checks to just under 50 kids totaling almost $30,000.

The organization has been very interesting to serve on, because much of it still is local educators. There are teachers, counselors, professors, and even school staff who volunteer their time for this group right now. No one in this group is paid at all, as we give 100% of the time we give, for free. This allows the MCSF to operate with as close to zero expenses as possible. The only money not going into the scholarship process are funds that are used to pay for things like liability insurance and the money managers who take care of the endowment fund.

In order to continue this legacy, and to be able to put more money into this hands of our future college students the MCSF has set up a couple of different ways for people to help out if they would like to do so. Traditionally donations have been accepted at the MCSF's PO Box. which is...

Michigan City Scholarship Foundation
PO Box 9645
Michigan City IN 46361

We have also just gotten 21st century access set up. You can now donate instantly with your paypal account. Log in to your own paypal account and use the following email address mcscholarshipfoundation@gmail.com. This will save you the trip to the post office, the hassle of writing a check, and all of the other time it takes to donate the traditional way.

In the next few weeks you will be hearing a lot more about the Michigan City Scholarship Foundation, as the official 50th anniversary of its creation is October 23rd. Because of that, we are hitting all of the major local media outlets. I will be making a few appearances on WIMS, both with Ric and Craig on the morning show, and with John Landecker and Paula Griffin on the afternoon show. I have an interview set up with our very excellent newest reporter at the News Dispatch Alica Ebaugh, and I am scheduled to be on WEFM October 29th from 8:15 to 8:30 am. If any other outlets out there want to talk about this group please contact me here, or the organization through the gmail account. We will be happy to talk to you about this group!

Once again, if you have the ability, we would love to see your donation to the Michigan City Scholarship Foundation. With over a million dollars already put into the futures of our young people, we look forward to aiding the next generations of college graduates with our help!

Thanks!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 12 2009, 04:15 PM
Post #2

Something else I found that is worth checking out for soon to be college kids...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26329

MCHS hosts workshop on paying for college
MICHIGAN CITY - The Michigan City High School Parent Network, Michigan City Area Schools, Strategic Financial Group and the Unity Foundation of La Porte County are sponsoring a free workshop titled "You CAN Pay for College!" at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 14, in the MCHS cafeteria.

Parents, grandparents or guardians who are within 10 years of sending a child to college are invited to attend. Topics to be addressed include:

• National, state and local scholarships available to Michigan City students

• Tips on avoiding costly financial aid mistakes

• Pointers on filling out an error-free FAFSA

• Ten key steps to planning for college

• Paying for college without ruining your retirement

The workshop is being held during "College Go!" Week at Michigan City High School. "College Go!" is a statewide event sponsored by Learn More Indiana. For more information, visit www.mcas.k12.in.us or www.learnmoreindiana.org.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Oct 13 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 12 2009, 05:15 PM) *

Something else I found that is worth checking out for soon to be college kids...

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26329

Thanks! I may see if I can make it to that event. Looks like it would be very worthwhile.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 14 2009, 08:42 AM
Post #4

As an FYI, we are working on getting an article written up with the News Dispatch, along with appearences on WIMS and WEFM in the coming weeks. John Landecker has promised us air time, as has Ron Miller. I have already been on with Ric Fed, and I am sure I will be again.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 16 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #5

I will be on the John Landecker show today to talk about the MCSF! Tune in around 4:15 or 4:30pm to 1420 AM.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 19 2009, 08:09 PM
Post #6

It sounds like the Alicia Ebaugh article on the MCSF should be in tomorrow's paper!
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 21 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #7

Group: Members
Member No.: 945

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 19 2009, 09:09 PM) *

It sounds like the Alicia Ebaugh article on the MCSF should be in tomorrow's paper!

It totally wasn't...but I hope it gets in either tomorrow or Friday. sad.gif

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 21 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(NDReporter @ Oct 21 2009, 03:10 PM) *

It totally wasn't...but I hope it gets in either tomorrow or Friday. sad.gif

That is absolutely fine with me. The anniversary is Friday, so that is not all bad! I do appreciate the work!
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 23 2009, 09:15 AM
Post #9

Group: Members
Member No.: 945

Yay, here it is!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26559

Scholarship foundation marks 50 years

Alicia Ebaugh
Staff Writer

MICHIGAN CITY - If retired Michigan City attorney Lee Dabagia hadn't had a $500 scholarship through the Michigan City Scholarship Foundation, he might never have become an attorney.

"I was totally broke," said Dabagia, 72, who used the money to buy books. "I couldn't always afford meals. I'm not even certain I could have finished my last year of law school without it."

Dabagia graduated in 1962 from Indiana University. He worked in Lake County federal courts for two years before he came back to found his own law practice.

"The scholarship foundation has been a tremendous assistance to a lot of students coming out of our school system," Dabagia said. "That's why I served on the board of directors for 10 years, until the mid-'70s."

More than $1 million in college loans and scholarships have gone to local high school students since the foundation was formed 50 years ago this week, said President Michael Gresham. Frances Sebesta, a gym teacher at Elston High School, helped organize the foundation in 1959 with other Michigan City educators.

"As teachers, they understood the value of higher education and what it can do for a person's life," Gresham said. "It's the same today. Only half of Michigan City high schoolers go to college, and half of those don't go back for a second year. We hope these scholarships will help kids succeed."

The foundation continues to be run by educators, including Kent Lange, who is retired from Michigan City Area Schools and is a continuing lecturer of biology at Purdue University-North Central, and Mark Marz, a MCHS science teacher. Gresham's wife, Angela Gresham, is also a teacher. He doesn't work for the school system.

The impact of the scholarships continues to be felt today. Both Jennifer and Lindsay LaRocco, whose parents own LaRocco Floor Coverings in Michigan City, received the scholarships when they went to college.

"All I had to do was submit a transcript every year of college and I got it renewed," said Lindsay LaRocco, 26. "It was good to be able to help my parents out with my college expenses."

Now Lindsay LaRocco is a sales and promotion representative for a national building material distribution company, and Jennifer LaRocco, 29, is a sales rep for a credit card processing company in Arlington Heights, Ill.

"There aren't many local organizations that give students an opportunity to get money for college like this," Jennifer LaRocco said.

The foundation gives scholarships every year using the interest made off its endowment, which is currently about $575,000, Gresham said. Last year, it gave $29,000 to 43 Michigan City area students who qualified.

Applications for the scholarship go out every year in the spring to all area high schools, including private schools. The only requirements set in stone are that the student must reside within the Michigan City limits and write an essay about how the scholarship will help with their future plans, Gresham said. All other factors like grade point average, community service and financial situation help the board decide how much money to award, he said.

Donations are always accepted, Gresham said, and can be sent to Michigan City Scholarship Foundation, P.O. Box 9645, Michigan City, IN 46361. The foundation now also accepts donations through PayPal by sending money to mcscholarshipfoundation@gmail.com.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 23 2009, 10:06 AM
Post #10

Great! Thank you for your time, and the effort in tracking people down!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 26 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #11

Thanks again to Alica and the News Dispatch for their time and space!!!

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...ArticleID=26580

Scholarships
Foundation has helped many students

Editorial

The scholarships and college loans it gives are relatively small, but they have added up to an amazing $1 million-plus over the more than 50 years of the Michigan City Scholarship Foundation.

Not only does the assistance add up significantly, each of the awards can have a dramatic impact on a young person facing the financial obstacle of going to college.

Such was the case of the now retired Lee Dabagia, who became a lawyer, thanks to assistance from the Scholarship Foundation. "I was totally broke. I couldn't always afford meals. I'm not even certain I could have finished my last year of law school without it," he said in an interview for a story we published Friday.

Dabagia has given back, serving on the board of directors of the Foundation, which was founded by teachers and supported by educators since it was established in 1959. The Foundation has built an endowment of $575,000 and it uses the earnings on that fund to provide scholarships. Last year it gave $29,000 to 43 students from Michigan City Area Schools.

Enrolling in college and completing a college degree is a challenge for many of Michigan City's high school graduates. Foundation President Michael Gresham points out that only half of MCHS grads go to college, and half of them don't return for a second year.

"We hope these scholarships will help kids succeed," Gresham said.

Indeed, it's tragic when young people have the preparation and desire to attend college, but find themselves squeezed out financially. The Michigan City Scholarship Foundation is to be commended for its work to build this endowment to help students. You can help too. Contact the Foundation at mcscholarshipfoundation@gmail.com

Our Opinion:
The Issue:

Michigan City Scholarship Foundation has made more than $1 million available in 50 years.

Our Opinion:

The Foundation is to be commended for its work.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 28 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #12

Thursday at 8:15am is my scheduled appearance on WEFM.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 29 2009, 10:03 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 28 2009, 09:45 PM) *

Thursday at 8:15am is my scheduled appearance on WEFM.

Thanks again to Tod Allen for the 15 minutes of fame for the MCSF!
+Quote Post
Tom Burns
post Oct 29 2009, 12:39 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 827

QUOTE(southsider2k9 @ Oct 29 2009, 11:03 AM) *

Thanks again to Tod Allen for the 15 minutes of fame for the MCSF!

The door is open for a wrap up session either at the same time or on Saturday's "Fun in Michiana." Let us know. Ironically Ron had planned to do the interview but he is on the strategtic planning group for the schools and they scheduled a meeting this morning.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 17 2009, 11:29 AM
Post #15

If you are a facebook user, you can help us by adding this application from Chase Bank and voting for the MC Scholarship Foundation to be one of the charities that Chase gives away part of five million dollars to

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jun 6 2010, 02:26 PM
Post #16

Help aid the Michigan City Indiana Community Scholarship Foundation in their efforts to get scholarships to our kids. Come out to Holly's on June 15 with the coupon, and 20% of your check goes directly to scholarships this year!

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=1287...1098&ref=mf
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 28 2010, 11:45 AM
Post #17

If anyone out there is looking for a last minute place to make a charitable donation for the 2010 tax year, the Michigan City Indiana Scholarship Foundation is a great place to give to. All donations stay local, and you support the youth of Michigan City towards getting a college education. For more information, message me! Donations, as always, can be sent to

Michigan City Scholarship Foundation
P.O. Box 9645
Michigan City, IN 46361

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:20 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com