post Apr 17 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news5.txt

Green Street Site Under City Scrutiny

By Amanda Haverstick, The News-Dispatch

The Michigan City Code Enforcement Team will modify an order to repair issued to a Green Street property so the structure can be sold and repaired.

Code Inspector Tyler Tarpley told the Board of Public Works and Safety on Monday he has asked the owner of 128 Green St. to make repairs since August 2006.

“He's been trying to sell the property. He didn't want to make any repairs to it while it was still for sale,” Tarpley said. “There are 24 windows that need repair. The interior is completely gutted. It's stripped down to the studs.”

Owner Michael Ainsworth said he bought the property in 2003 for $26,000. The site, though, was appraised at about $48,000.

“My Realtor advised going down to the township appraiser to get the issue corrected,” Ainsworth said.

The tax situation was resolved in May 2005, he said, and he then had architectural plans for the building drawn up. Shortly thereafter, he had to redirect his efforts to repair another property he owned that was damaged by fire. In 2006, he decided to sell the property.

Ainsworth said he has a buyer and asked the board to rescind the order and allow him sell the property.

“The buyer is not going to buy this property with the order hanging over it,” Ainsworth said. “I am not in a position to put any money or time into this property right now.”

Ainsworth said he does not believe the property is unsafe.

“I had it gutted because it needed a complete remodel. The place was foul when I bought it,” he said. “It's boarded up ... nobody can get in there. There's no health hazards involved.”

Councilman Paul Przybylinski, D-2nd Ward, said he brought the issue to the board over a year ago at the request of neighbors.

“They're not saying they want it torn down,” Przybylinski said. “They want to see some activity. They want to see that building brought back to good use.”

Mayor Chuck Oberlie moved that the code enforcement office be authorized to extend or modify the work order as necessary to accommodate a new buyer and bring about repairs of the structure within 45 days.

“The building can be saved, and we'd like to have it saved,” Oberlie said.

In other business, the board voted to demolish a property at 109 Combs St. owned by Mary Patterson. The house, which the board determined to be unsafe, was damaged by a fire about six months ago.

“No work has been done in the past six months to clean the debris up from the fire,” Tarpley said. “The interior has been damaged extensively by the fire.”

Tarpley said estimated repair costs would be about $75,000.

A status report on 910 Green St., owned by James and Millie Gast, was tabled until July.

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Apr 17 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

The request on the Green Street property really makes no sense to me. Please remove the order to repair so that I can sell the house and then have the city put the order back on it.

Is this just the buyer's way of getting an extension on the order?

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:36 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com