> Smith to head Promise Scholarship program
Southsider2k12
post Nov 17 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.laportecountylife.com/community...larship-program

Mayor Ron Meer today announced Nancy Smith as Director of the Michigan City Promise Scholarship program.

“I am pleased to announce Nancy Smith as the new Director of the Michigan City Promise Scholarship program,” said Mayor Meer. “Ms. Smith has had an extensive professional career that reflects the organizational, management, communications and budget skills I was looking for in a director.”

Smith has been an active volunteer for area public and private schools, and has worked with the Michigan City Area Schools on a number of projects. “Nancy has volunteered to support our efforts to increase enrollment in the 21st Century Scholars program, helping to raise awareness and assisting parents with the online application process," said MCAS Superintendent Dr. Barbara Eason-Watkins. "Her knowledge of that program and post-secondary opportunities in the state has been invaluable to our students and their families, and we look forward to working with her in her new role."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
exsteel5
post Nov 20 2016, 02:02 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,466

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Nov 17 2016, 09:38 AM) *

Incredible. I don't know what this position pays, but let's say it is $50k per year. We just gave up 10 scholarships to pay a salary. There are people in this town that would have volunteered to do this job for free. And this person says we can't expand the program to kids at other schools or home schooled kids because the program does not have enough money. That is classic! Oh well, that is how we roll in M.C.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Nov 20 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

QUOTE(exsteel5 @ Nov 20 2016, 02:02 PM) *

Incredible. I don't know what this position pays, but let's say it is $50k per year. We just gave up 10 scholarships to pay a salary. There are people in this town that would have volunteered to do this job for free. And this person says we can't expand the program to kids at other schools or home schooled kids because the program does not have enough money. That is classic! Oh well, that is how we roll in M.C.

Why would we subsidize the loss of jobs to other communities? That is an awful idea.
+Quote Post
Hypnotic
post Nov 21 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Getting Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,242

QUOTE(exsteel5 @ Nov 20 2016, 02:02 PM) *

You nailed it......It pays $49,767.33 a year.

What I don't get is the police dept. "restructuring" to eliminate 8 officer positions and then giving themselves a 9% raise. How their union didn't protect those jobs is beyond me and there must have been some greedy and self-serving folks involved on all sides to allow this. If the city didn't really need those slots than they've been spending well over $1,000,000 a year on waste in a community that has suffered from high unemployment and low paying jobs with large scale disinvestment.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:54 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com