Southsider2k12
post Feb 29 2008, 02:28 PM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://thenewsdispatch.com/main.asp?Sectio...amp;TM=55956.01

Police: Two Men Arrested For Stealing I-Beam
In trying to stop the thieves, the owner was dragged 15 feet.

Georgette Senter
The News-Dispatch

MICHIGAN CITY - Two Michigan City are facing theft charges after trying to recycle a steel I-beam that had been reported stolen from a storage area in Michigan City.

According to police reports, Charles Edward Williams, 43, 1621 W. 10th St., and Robert Michael Carter, 25, 1611 W. 10th St., said they had found the 4-ton I-beam in a wooded area in the 1100 block of West Barker Avenue.

They denied taking it from the storage area belonging to Ed Bohle at the South Pullman Yards near Russell Street on the West Side. But Bohle told police he had four I-beams at his place and Wednesday after arriving at the storage building had to run a few business errands and was gone about 30 minutes. When he returned, one of the beams was missing and there were fresh tire tracks in the snow.

After calling to report the theft, Bohle contacted area recycling companies that might buy I-beams.

He contacted Universal Recycling in Chesterton and was about to call one in La Porte County when Universal called to let him know two men were at the recycling plant and they were offering a steel I-beam that looked very much like the one Bohle had described.

Bohle drove to Universal Recycling and the two accused were still there.

Porter County police were called while Carter and Williams attempted to leave. Bohle reached into the cab of the 1998 Chevrolet 1500 truck, grabbing at the keys.

Carter later told police that Bohle grabbed him and punched him several times in the face. After dragging Bohle for about 15 feet, the truck speed off east on U.S. 20 toward Michigan City.

Michigan City police were notified and met the truck as it pulled into a parking area behind Carter's home.

Police watched as both men got out of the truck, then went to their homes and arrested them on Class D felony theft charges.

Carter told police he wanted to press charges on Bohle for battery and was told that would have to be done in Porter County as that is where Carter alleges he was attacked.

Contact Georgette Senter at gsenter@thenewsdispatch.com.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Feb 29 2008, 03:44 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

they had found the 4-ton I-beam in a wooded area

So if an i-beam falls in a forrest, but on one hears it...? laugh.gif
Seriously, did they really think they'd get away with this?
+Quote Post
Dave
post Feb 29 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #3

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

Carter told police he wanted to press charges on Bohle for battery and was told that would have to be done in Porter County as that is where Carter alleges he was attacked.

Err, I'm not a lawyer -- oops, yes I am, just not in Indiana -- but I'm pretty sure, for those of you scratching your heads, that the above is factually incorrect. While the Laporte county prosecutor might not want to be bothered with it, I'm pretty sure that crossing a county line is nothing at all like crossing a state line or a national border.

JHeath, I was wondering that, as well as....how the heck do two guys even move 8000 pounds of dead weight?

Standard lawyer disclaimer: I am an attorney, currently licensed in Illinois but not Indiana. I am not your lawyer. If you have personal legal issues, see a qualified lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction. Do not get legal advice off internet message boards. Shake well before use. Keep out of reach of children. Only clean with mild soap and water. Aways close spout after use. Be kind -- rewind!
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Feb 29 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

THIS IS THE STUFF DREAMS ARE MADE FROM.or at least mine!!! lol

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Feb 29 2008, 09:16 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(Dave @ Feb 29 2008, 06:03 PM) *

JHeath, I was wondering that, as well as....how the heck do two guys even move 8000 pounds of dead weight?

If you look up the specs on a 1998 Chevy 1500, the maximum payload capacity is about 2000lbs and the max towing capacity (which includes payload) is 5000lbs. So they had to have had a trailer. Even then it would have been dragging and straining. Maybe a little bit of a big fish story here...

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Feb 29 2008, 09:21 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

Err, I'm not a lawyer -- oops, yes I am, just not in Indiana -- but I'm pretty sure, for those of you scratching your heads, that the above is factually incorrect. While the Laporte county prosecutor might not want to be bothered with it, I'm pretty sure that crossing a county line is nothing at all like crossing a state line or a national border.

Standard lawyer disclaimer: I am an attorney, currently licensed in Illinois but not Indiana. I am not your lawyer. If you have personal legal issues, see a qualified lawyer licensed in your jurisdiction. Do not get legal advice off internet message boards. Shake well before use. Keep out of reach of children. Only clean with mild soap and water. Aways close spout after use. Be kind -- rewind!

Let us not leave out the fact that Ed Bohle (nice guy) former Michigan City Police Officer only has one leg. I hope if he gets arrested on the battery charge, that he shows up in court minus the artificial leg.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Mar 3 2008, 09:37 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Feb 29 2008, 08:21 PM) *

Let us not leave out the fact that Ed Bohle (nice guy) former Michigan City Police Officer only has one leg. I hope if he gets arrested on the battery charge, that he shows up in court minus the artificial leg.

Isn't that the guy who got jabbed in the foot with a cactus needle in Texas or some other place south?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Mar 3 2008, 11:03 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 2

I'll bet the idea started off with... "Hey ya'll watch this!"
+Quote Post
Dave
post Mar 3 2008, 02:11 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 482

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 3 2008, 11:03 AM) *

One of the reasons the cancellation of the Superconducting Supercollider in Texas may have been a good thing...

Texan physicist after three beers: "Hey ya'll watch this!"

IPB Image
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Mar 4 2008, 12:08 AM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Mar 3 2008, 11:03 AM) *

Last words of most drunk rednecks
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:39 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com