2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> coverup, contractor arrested
wingman1515
post Oct 16 2010, 11:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,053

Local contractor Derrick Arnett was arrested Thursday night or Friday morning for 2nd OWI in the last couple of years and cocaine possession charges, both felonies. He is head of Pop Warner football program in area and owns one of LaPorte's largest residential remodeling companies. People need to know who they are trusting to work on their homes and trusting with their children's football programs . Nothing has been reported in local papers as of today. His father is a big shot in community so he probably was able to keep this quiet somehow. My sources are county police officers.....True story and everyone needs to know. It is very sad what money can do for you... If it hasn't been printed in papers by Monday then they managed to cover this up. Arnett is a huge advertiser in LP Herald Argus paper and LP WLOI radio station...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 16 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I would like to say this much. I have no idea if this is true or not. This is a very serious allegation to make against someone, especially from someone who isn't a proven member of this community (ie the website), who registered seemingly only to make this post. If the allegation you make does end up being not true, there is no presumption of anonymity if a court of law would ask for the information which you registered and posted with. It will be turned over. I encourage open discussions, but I would not tolerate something in the vein of libel or slander to happen here. Again, I do not know if this is true or not, I am just informing you of this website's policy.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 16 2010, 08:17 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 945

QUOTE(wingman1515 @ Oct 16 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Local contractor Derrick Arnett was arrested Thursday night or Friday morning for 2nd OWI in the last couple of years and cocaine possession charges, both felonies. He is head of Pop Warner football program in area and owns one of LaPorte's largest residential remodeling companies. People need to know who they are trusting to work on their homes and trusting with their children's football programs . Nothing has been reported in local papers as of today. His father is a big shot in community so he probably was able to keep this quiet somehow. My sources are county police officers.....True story and everyone needs to know. It is very sad what money can do for you... If it hasn't been printed in papers by Monday then they managed to cover this up. Arnett is a huge advertiser in LP Herald Argus paper and LP WLOI radio station...

I am with Southsider on this one...

If this is true, I have not seen this in Michigan City police reports to include in the paper. Those are the only ones I check. I can have other reporters look for it in La Porte or with the Sheriff's Office if that is where it happened. Otherwise, the local newspapers wouldn't see any arrest information unless it was provided to us or we know where to request it.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
wingman1515
post Oct 17 2010, 02:49 PM
Post #4

I am a new member but I have been reading your message boards for at least a year, just never registered. I understand your position to be cautious considering I am your source and severity of accusations....but I did confirm with county police officers ( good friends) and county jail... I wouldn't have posted this without checking reliable sources.
+Quote Post
Sean
post Oct 17 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE(wingman1515 @ Oct 17 2010, 03:49 PM) *

I am a new member but I have been reading your message boards for at least a year, just never registered. I understand your position to be cautious considering I am your source and severity of accusations....but I did confirm with county police officers ( good friends) and county jail... I wouldn't have posted this without checking reliable sources.

A little research goes a long way.........here is the case number (46C01-1010-FD-00586) ph34r.gif
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 17 2010, 07:44 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(wingman1515 @ Oct 17 2010, 03:49 PM) *

I sent the information to our reporter who checks with the Sheriff's Office.

Signature Bar
Necessary disclaimer: The views expressed in this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Paxton Media Group.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 18 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10

Isn't it true that the only police reports that make it to the paper are the ones the police depts want to be in the paper? So, if the guy's dad says, "Hey man, don't tell the paper about my boy's arrest" they won't?

So, IMHO if there is a cover-up of any kind, it's not on the part of the paper, it's on the part of the powers that be who are supposed to provide info to the paper.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
lighter
post Oct 18 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 912

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 18 2010, 10:17 AM) *

Isn't it true that the only police reports that make it to the paper are the ones the police depts want to be in the paper? So, if the guy's dad says, "Hey man, don't tell the paper about my boy's arrest" they won't?

So, IMHO if there is a cover-up of any kind, it's not on the part of the paper, it's on the part of the powers that be who are supposed to provide info to the paper.

sounds like 1 o/ 2 things wil happen. the newspaper seeks a foia reqest 4 the info, which wood b news anyway. or its 2 much hassle to do that.

or, it cuold b bad info.

do i thnk the n-d might cover for an advertiser? i woodn't be shcked. hopefully the new publicher has ethics to not allow that 2 happenn. i don't thnk ndrerpoter wood do that. she seems honest. its her bossess that wory me.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 18 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(lighter @ Oct 18 2010, 12:09 PM) *

sounds like 1 o/ 2 things wil happen. the newspaper seeks a foia reqest 4 the info, which wood b news anyway. or its 2 much hassle to do that.

or, it cuold b bad info.

do i thnk the n-d might cover for an advertiser?
i woodn't be shcked. hopefully the new publicher has ethics to not allow that 2 happenn. i don't thnk ndrerpoter wood do that. she seems honest. its her bossess that wory me.

If I understand the rumor mill correctly, something to do with advertising may have been an issue involved in a recent employees separation from the ND.
+Quote Post
NDReporter
post Oct 18 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #10

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 18 2010, 10:17 AM) *

Police are supposed to put all the arrest reports out. Very rarely do we find that an arrest is "hidden", but sometimes their reports are late. In this instance, the arrest was available for our reporter to pick up with the Sheriff's Office on Monday. There should be something in the paper about it tomorrow.

Any time an event happens you think we should know about, by all means e-mail the information to news@thenewsdispatch.com or to me at aebaugh@thenewsdispatch.com! Sometimes if we know facts, we can ask for and receive information more quickly.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Oct 18 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #11

It is worth pointing out that the staff of the News Dispatch is a skeleton crew compared to what it was even 5 to 10 years ago. A significant amount of things are missed in my opinion just because of the sheer size of the staff up there not being able to know everything that goes on anymore.

It has been my experience that the vast majority of the time, they are responsive when they are told about things going on.
+Quote Post
wingman1515
post Oct 18 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(NDReporter @ Oct 18 2010, 12:47 PM) *

Police are supposed to put all the arrest reports out. Very rarely do we find that an arrest is "hidden", but sometimes their reports are late. In this instance, the arrest was available for our reporter to pick up with the Sheriff's Office on Monday. There should be something in the paper about it tomorrow.

Any time an event happens you think we should know about, by all means e-mail the information to news@thenewsdispatch.com or to me at aebaugh@thenewsdispatch.com! Sometimes if we know facts, we can ask for and receive information more quickly.

+Quote Post
wingman1515
post Oct 18 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #13

Thank you for following up with this....I just thought this was news worthy and needed to be brought out for the sake of the community
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 18 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(wingman1515 @ Oct 18 2010, 02:35 PM) *

Thank you for following up with this....I just thought this was news worthy and needed to be brought out for the sake of the community
Derrick, you gotta go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5jWdYDyvKw
+Quote Post
Tim
post Oct 18 2010, 07:12 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(lighter @ Oct 18 2010, 12:09 PM) *

or, it cuold b bad info.

do i thnk the n-d might cover for an advertiser? i woodn't be shcked. hopefully the new publicher has ethics to not allow that 2 happenn. i don't thnk ndrerpoter wood do that. she seems honest. its her bossess that wory me.

Did you have a stroke or something?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Oct 18 2010, 08:03 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

QUOTE(taxthedeer @ Oct 18 2010, 07:07 PM) *

Apparently the "defining moment in his grandson's illustrious football career" was when he was being videotaped by someone having a grand mal seizure.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
taxthedeer
post Oct 18 2010, 09:34 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 929

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Oct 18 2010, 09:03 PM) *

Apparently the "defining moment in her grandsons illustrious football career" was when he was being videotaped by someone having a grand mal seizure.

You're right, If I remember correctly I skipped my neurontin that day.
+Quote Post
Dave
post Oct 19 2010, 05:18 PM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

and the article is here:
http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2010/1...7e179564247.txt

Business owner arrested on OWI, drug charges

By Stan Maddux
For The News-Dispatch
Published: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 5:12 PM CDT
LA PORTE — A local business owner has been arrested on charges of cocaine possession and operating a vehicle while intoxicated, both Class D felonies.

Derrick Arnett, 33, 0761S CR-300E, could face jail time.

According to sheriff’s deputies, deputy Derek Allen saw a pickup truck at about 10:40 p.m. Thursday on Johnson Road near Crichfield Elementary School drifting from the center line to the white fog line.

The westbound truck was clocked at 41 mph in a 20-mph zone.

Police said the officer conducted a traffic stop on Johnson Road at 500 West after the driver veered over the center line while rounding a curve.

Arnett allegedly told the deputy he consumed “six beers.” He was taken to the county jail with a reported .11-percent blood alcohol level.

According to police, a jail officer was emptying Arnett’s pockets when a plastic bag containing suspected cocaine fell onto the concrete floor.

Police said the jail officer, Robert Cecil, also removed a large amount of cash from one of Arnett’s pockets.

Arnett was convicted of drunken driving in November 2008. He owns Arnett Construction near Kingsbury.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Oct 20 2010, 07:50 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10

I notice no mention of his Pop Warner affiliation.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
eric.hanke
post Oct 20 2010, 08:15 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 546

QUOTE(Ang @ Oct 20 2010, 08:50 AM) *
I notice no mention of his Pop Warner affiliation.

... of course not. What do you expect. The N-D would not even have located the police report with out us.

Signature Bar
IPB Image

Welcome to the Michigan City Area Schools, we are over budget, over paid, overwhelmed ...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:01 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com