> Calls From LaPorte Co. Inmates
Homey
post Nov 10 2009, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

mad.gif

I've been getting collect call requests from an inmate at the LaPorte Co. jail...and I mean non-stop. I called to complain but there's not much they can do unless I know the person's name. I can't understand who they say they are...since they mumble. She said they aren't too smart. What an understatement.

She then told me they have access to a phone from the morning till 9:00 p.m.!!!!!!!

You would think some of their "privileges" would be monitored or they would be forced to do something more productive than to sit in front of a phone making useless calls.

I realize now that the no-call program doesn't apply here. sad.gif

I called the 800 number to get a block, but that process doesn't seem to work correctly. I looked at the Sheriff's website and didn't find an answer there either...so I emailed the Sheriff's assistant, but I haven't heard back from her either.

This is absolutely maddening!!!! Anyone have any advice?

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Nov 10 2009, 03:38 PM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

If the call has an operator vs. a recording, the inmate can hear you speaking while waiting for the connection. If you say the caller has the wrong number, hopefully the inmate will get the message.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
kharris
post Nov 10 2009, 03:42 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

They jail's telephone system should allow them to block calls to your phone number. In any case, it used to work that way.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 10 2009, 03:49 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Ang, it's an recorded message. I yelled at him to stop calling...so he promptly called me back two seconds later.

It's more complicated these days...and you can't have them blocked by talking to real person....gotta love it!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 10 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Next I'll start receiving love letters...it could be a beautiful thing biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 10 2009, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 10 2009, 04:49 PM) *

Ang, it's an recorded message. I yelled at him to stop calling...so he promptly called me back two seconds later.

It's more complicated these days...and you can't have them blocked by talking to real person....gotta love it!

Act like you're a telemarketer and try to sell him a trip somewhere - anywhere - at a HUGE discount.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 10 2009, 07:07 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Good idea Tim biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 10 2009, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 10 2009, 08:07 PM) *

Good idea Tim biggrin.gif

Try to sell them owner shares in MC's FABULOUS splash pad!
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 10 2009, 08:05 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

lol, keep em' coming Tim biggrin.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 10 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #10

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 10 2009, 09:05 PM) *

lol, keep em' coming Tim biggrin.gif

Ask them if they've considered Scientology.

Tell them you have too many hot chicks over - and all they have to do is stop by within an hour and they can have two of them.

Bang on your receiver with a pencil and say is there something wrong with the line? over and over.

Ask if they can hang on for just a second - then put the phone down and chuckle occasionally within earshot.

Ask them if they've reassessed thier views on homosexuality after experiencing love in the slammer.

Ask who was buried in Grant's tomb.

Ask if they can call back in ten minutes. When they do, ask them again.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 11 2009, 10:21 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

After receiving two more calls this morning, I went to the AT&T site and chatted with a representative there. She is putting a permanent block to prevent any and all collect calls coming through. It will take be in place by the end of the day. I still haven't heard back from the Sheriff's assistant.

I still think the inmates should be made to perform work duties or organized activities or park their behinds in their cells instead of inflicting themselves on the general public anymore than they already have. I have no pity!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 11 2009, 03:34 PM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 482

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 11 2009, 10:21 AM) *

After receiving two more calls this morning, I went to the AT&T site and chatted with a representative there. She is putting a permanent block to prevent any and all collect calls coming through. It will take be in place by the end of the day. I still haven't heard back from the Sheriff's assistant.

I still think the inmates should be made to perform work duties or organized activities or park their behinds in their cells instead of inflicting themselves on the general public anymore than they already have. I have no pity!

I was going to mention the option of a collect call block -- I worked for the phone company years ago.

As for making the prisoners work, a lot of the prisoners are probably being held pre-trial, because they've either failed to raise bail or they've been denied bail. Being forced to work while being held in jail for a crime you didn't commit would be adding insult to injury, I think.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 11 2009, 05:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dave @ Nov 11 2009, 03:34 PM) *

I was going to mention the option of a collect call block -- I worked for the phone company years ago.

As for making the prisoners work, a lot of the prisoners are probably being held pre-trial, because they've either failed to raise bail or they've been denied bail. Being forced to work while being held in jail for a crime you didn't commit would be adding insult to injury, I think.

You are a kind hearted person Dave. But, I have to disagree. I really am not concerned with their situation while in jail, maybe they have been denied bail, or maybe not. But since when is it so bad to have them pull their weight while the taxpayers foot the bill for their room and board? Nobody should get a free ride. Insult or a humbling experience?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Nov 11 2009, 06:44 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 11 2009, 06:21 PM) *

You are a kind hearted person Dave. But, I have to disagree. I really am not concerned with their situation while in jail, maybe they have been denied bail, or maybe not. But since when is it so bad to have them pull their weight while the taxpayers foot the bill for their room and board? Nobody should get a free ride. Insult or a humbling experience?

Dude! Did you even try any of my suggestions?

laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 11 2009, 07:33 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Aw Tim, I wish I would have. Too bad you weren't here to egg me on! But I'm not having all the fun on my dime. If I'm correct, collect calls are charged at a higher rate. And after all, it wasn't funny after dozens of calls a day.

If I sound like a cynic regarding prisoner's treatment...so be it. If they're there in lock up, there must be a good reason for it and they should be thinking long and hard about their situation...not sit there, taking a brief vacation from reality and responsibility.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 11 2009, 09:32 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 11 2009, 07:33 PM) *

If I sound like a cynic regarding prisoner's treatment...so be it. If they're there in lock up, there must be a good reason for it and they should be thinking long and hard about their situation...not sit there, taking a brief vacation from reality and responsibility.

Oh, sure. Innocent people never get arrested. rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by Dave: Nov 11 2009, 09:33 PM
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 12 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Maybe...a small percentage Dave. But calling me isn't going to help their situation...try a good attorney smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Dave
post Nov 12 2009, 11:19 AM
Post #18

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Homey @ Nov 12 2009, 07:27 AM) *

Maybe...a small percentage Dave. But calling me isn't going to help their situation...try a good attorney smile.gif

Yeah, right -- an attorney that accepts collect calls? Not in this universe!
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 12 2009, 01:49 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Dave, either you are feeling fiesty regarding this issue, or you are letting your sour grapes show.

Either way, I'm not getting into a pissing match over this. smile.gif Have a good day Dave!

Signature Bar
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 01:15 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com