IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possible Fatal Shooting in Long Beach?
hrw
post Dec 11 2012, 10:06 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,186

Anyone hear anything?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 11 2012, 11:22 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

QUOTE(hrw @ Dec 11 2012, 10:06 PM) *

Anyone hear anything?

Did you?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Dec 12 2012, 07:28 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

The paper listed the address of the shooting as 2913 Lothair Way in Long Beach. Here is what Beacon shows on that property: http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Applicatio...114279013000023

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 12 2012, 12:58 PM
Post #4

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...e9e7b94698.html

Husband held in Long Beach shooting death
Stan Maddux Times Correspondent

LONG BEACH | Authorities Wednesday had a man in custody while they continued to investigate the shooting death of his wife at the couple's home in the upscale lakefront communtiy of Long Beach.

LaPorte County Prosecutor Bob Szilagyi said evidence was still being reviewed to determine if charges will be filed and, if so, what the charges will be.

Under Indiana law, Szilagyi said defendants can be held for 48 hours and if no charges are filed by that time they must be released.

“We have 48 hours to decide what we're going to do,” said Szilagyi.

According to Long Beach police, officers after 7 p.m. Tuesday responded to the 2900 block of Lothair Way on a report of a woman being shot.

A female was found dead inside the residence along the Long Beach Country Club golf course.

Police said it appeared a domestic dispute had occurred but further details on what led up to the shooting were being withheld due to the ongoing investigation.

Authorities were also not releasing the name of the victim or her husband.

Szilagyi confirmed the victim and man being held were husband and wife.

He also revealed the case is being investigated as a homicide but an official ruling on cause of death had not yet been made.

“I don't want to say things on something that I don't have the complete information on yet,” said Szilagyi.

Neighbors expressed sadness and surprise at what occurred.

“It's just a horrible thing,” said Jane Scott, who lives across the street from the home where the shooting took place.

Scott said four children all under the age of 14 were living in the home.

She didn't know the family very well but did say hello to them whenever she saw them while checking her mail or doing something else outside.

“They seemed like normal people,” said Scott.

“They had four lovely kids,” said another neighbor, Richard Sweney, who was familiar enough with the family to know the couple's children on a first name basis.

“I went out to turn on my Christmas lights and saw the street was full of police cars,” said Sweney.

Sweney said fatal shootings are reported in the news from different areas of the country on a regular basis and to have someone shot to death so close to his home is disheartening.

“It's a bummer because we are in a nice neighborhood and then you have the same thing next door. It’s pretty awful,” said Sweney.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 12 2012, 02:39 PM
Post #5

http://victimsnewsonline.wordpress.com/201...or-questioning/

By Erica Morse
Publisher, Victims News Online
Updated 2:30pm CST, December 12th, 2012
@victimsnews1

A fatal shooting Tuesday evening in Northwest Indiana has left one woman dead and her husband being held for questioning.

The incident occurred in Long Beach, Indiana, an affluent lakeshore community which runs along and around Lake Michigan. The area is home to a few year-round owners, while many are seasonal residents in the summer months from nearby Chicago.

The incident occurred 7pm last evening in the 2900 block of Lothair Way in Long Beach, and few details have been released about the situation as of today. Through real estate records, Victims News Online has been able to confirm the name of the current homeowners, but at least one real estate source in the area has indicated the home may have been in the process of a sale.

The investigation is being conducted by the Long Beach Police Department, with assistance from neighboring Michigan City Police Department’s Detective Bureau.

LaPorte County Prosecuting Attorney Robert “Z” Szilagyi told Victims News Online that the MCPD’s assistance is routine with smaller departments such as Long Beach, and he hopes more information will be released about the situation tomorrow.

We will update this story as more details become available.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 12 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10

Why do they even write stuff like that?

"We know something happened to someone. We're not sure what, or who, but we do know where. We'll get back to you when we have more info."

Drives me nuts. Why even bother to write a story when you don't know anything about what you're writing about?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 13 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #7

ALCO is reporting that the News Dispatch named John Larkin as the shooter from the other night in Long Beach.
+Quote Post
Job
post Dec 14 2012, 09:31 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,126

QUOTE(Southsider2k12 @ Dec 13 2012, 03:16 PM) *

ALCO is reporting that the News Dispatch named John Larkin as the shooter from the other night in Long Beach.

He was one of a couple of hot heads who ran for the Long Beach town board. He lost by several votes.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 14 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #9

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/laporte...62c1f3f3fc.html

Long Beach man charged in shooting death of his wife
Stan Maddux Times Correspodent

LONG BEACH | A man and his wife from the upscale community of Long Beach were fighting when a gun kept inside the home went off, killing the woman, according to LaPorte County officials.

John Larkin, 47, was charged with voluntary manslaughter, a Class A felony.

The charge was leveled after evidence from the case was presented Thursday to LaPorte Superior Court 1 Judge Kathleen Lang, who ruled there was sufficient evidence to try him on the allegations.

LaPorte County Prosecutor Bob Szilagyi said evidence indicates there was a fight between John Larkin and his wife, Stacey Larkin, 41, inside the family's home.

Szilagyi said it appears Stacey Larkin retrieved a gun from a gun safe and John Larkin was trying to get the gun away from her when the firearm went off.

“That's the evidence we have at this point,” he said.

Szilagyi said the evidence indicates Larkin did not intend to kill her but did so “during sudden heat,” which under Indiana qualifies as voluntary manslaughter.

“Murder requires specific intent to kill. There's a very big difference,” said Szilagyi.

Police responded Tuesday night to the home in the 2900 block of Lothair Way on a report from an unknown caller of a woman being shot in the chest.

Szilagyi said the couple was having some marital issues and when John Larkin came home “there was a fight.”

Szilagyi said the case is still being investigated so it's possible the charge against Larkin could change depending on the discovery of any new findings.

Larkin could face a maximum 50 years on the current charge.

The couple had four children.

John Larkin ran for a seat on the Long Beach Town Council in 2011 but lost in a close race.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 14 2012, 02:31 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Job @ Dec 14 2012, 09:31 AM) *

He was one of a couple of hot heads who ran for the Long Beach town board. He lost by several votes.

I saw the picture from a campaign ad in the Beacher yesterday. It was eerie and I had to close it right away.
+Quote Post
Job
post Dec 15 2012, 07:34 AM
Post #11

It sounds like the prosecutor does not understand the law. According to the prosecutor, he did not mean to kill her. "Szilagyi said the evidence indicates Larkin did not intend to kill her but did so “during sudden heat,” which under Indiana qualifies as voluntary manslaughter."

“Murder requires specific intent to kill. There's a very big difference,” said Szilagyi.

IC 35-42-1-3
Voluntary manslaughter
Sec. 3. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
(1) kills another human being; or
(2) kills a fetus that has attained viability (as defined in IC 16-18-2-365);
while acting under sudden heat commits voluntary manslaughter, a Class B felony. However, the offense is a Class A felony if it is committed by means of a deadly weapon.
(cool.gif The existence of sudden heat is a mitigating factor that reduces what otherwise would be murder under section 1(1) of this chapter to voluntary manslaughter.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 17 2012, 07:30 AM
Post #12

Really Comfortable

I don't get it. It says the gun went off "accidentally" yet reports suggest the victim was shot several times. So - the gun went off accidentally several times?
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Dec 17 2012, 12:10 PM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 19

QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 17 2012, 07:30 AM) *

I don't get it. It says the gun went off "accidentally" yet reports suggest the victim was shot several times. So - the gun went off accidentally several times?

I searched this page for the word accident or accidentally and came up dry. Where does it say that?

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Job
post Dec 17 2012, 12:48 PM
Post #14

I hope this case isn't screwed up by the county. The county prosecutor recently had his license to practice law reinstated. The state supreme court suspended him because he had forged his ex wife's signature to a deed.
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Dec 17 2012, 02:30 PM
Post #15

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Job @ Dec 17 2012, 12:48 PM) *

I hope this case isn't screwed up by the county. The county prosecutor recently had his license to practice law reinstated. The state supreme court suspended him because he had forged his ex wife's signature to a deed.

Yes and the people of LaPorte County elected him. angry.gif wacko.gif blink.gif wacko.gif angry.gif

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 17 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Dec 17 2012, 12:10 PM) *

I searched this page for the word accident or accidentally and came up dry. Where does it say that?

Szilagyi said it appears Stacey Larkin retrieved a gun from a gun safe and John Larkin was trying to get the gun away from her when the firearm went off.

Wouldn't that indicate accidentally to you?
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Dec 17 2012, 04:16 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 17 2012, 03:35 PM) *

Wouldn't that indicate accidentally to you?

I wasn't trying to be a smart A$$, was just wondering...

To answer your question, reading this article it would appear that it might be an accident. If I had to give you a yes or no answer, due to the gravity of the situation, I would just simply say NO because it isn't clearly spelled out and I wouldn't allow ambiguity to skew my answer.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Job
post Dec 17 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #18

A couple of articles have referred to "multiple wounds." Is the coroner's report online anywhere? What is multiple, two or more? If there were more than two, Johnny's lawyer is going to have a tough time coming up wih a defense.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 17 2012, 09:52 PM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(ChickenCityRoller @ Dec 17 2012, 04:16 PM) *

I wasn't trying to be a smart A$$, was just wondering...

To answer your question, reading this article it would appear that it might be an accident. If I had to give you a yes or no answer, due to the gravity of the situation, I would just simply say NO because it isn't clearly spelled out and I wouldn't allow ambiguity to skew my answer.

No idea where you got smart ass out of that. Yes, reading only this article does indicate it very well could have been an accident. But I know I've read reports that the wife died of multiple gunshot wounds. If so, there's no way this was an accident.
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 18 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #20

Really Comfortable

From the News Dispatch -

On Thursday, La Porte County Coroner John Sullivan ruled Stacey Larkin's manner of death was homicide as a result of multiple gunshot wounds.

In an above story it says -

“That's the evidence we have at this point,” he said.

And how did they get that evidence? The guy that killed his wife told them that to save his ass? That scenario does not result in "multiple gunshot wounds".

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
10 User(s) are reading this topic (10 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 04:31 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com