> Essence Rare hosts black expo at Marquette Mall
Tim
post Feb 18 2013, 01:01 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 18

http://thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2013/0...41341609653.txt

MICHIGAN CITY — Local nonprofit Essence Rare hosted its annual Black Expo event at Marquette Mall, where more than a dozen local vendors set up booths to sell wares and distribute information Saturday.

Members of New Hope Missionary Baptist Church also provided free blood pressure screenings as mall patrons visited booths to buy baked goods, jewelry and other items.

While the event was well-attended, the entertainment portion of the expo seemed to draw the largest, most consistent crowd.

Alijah Hunter of Sound Machine Productions (also animal control with the Michigan City Police Department) provided musical entertainment, while Blaq Ice of Chicago emceed the event. Spoken Word poets as young as 12 stepped up to the mic, and Blaq Ice even beat-boxed as the large audience sang the theme song to “The Brady Bunch.”

Mae Anderson of Essence Rare said, “It’s just a good way for people to come out and be recognized. Everything we do is positive. We want to encourage our young people, and encourage people to support one another and have a good time.”

One of the vendors, Rosie Grinston of Beauty of Hands, her fashion jewelry line, said this was her second year to set up a booth at the expo, which has been an annual event for about a decade.

“I was pretty successful at the first show, and I wanted to support Essence Rare because I think what they’re doing is positive for the community,” Grinston said.

It was also Debora Mitchell’s second year to set up a booth at the expo for Debora’s Place Beauty Salon.

“I came back because I’m able to put my business out there and sell some oils and fragrances that I like,” Mitchell said. “And I love the atmosphere and seeing all of the different entrepreneurs. I didn’t know we had so many African Americans that have these businesses.”

Other vendors included various local churches, the Michigan City Soul Steppers, the Stepping Stone Shelter for Women, Dunebrook, the Michigan City Fire Department and the Social Security Administration.

Wow - congrats to ANYONE who can get people to come to Marquette Mall.

I'm wondering if anyone's planning a White Expo at the mall anytime soon.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Feb 18 2013, 11:05 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

I was really hoping that having the county CVB out there would help. Guess that hasn't happened.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:17 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com