Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 11th street gets a new shelter for train riders
Southsider2k12
post Jan 11 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Personally I have watched them building it, and it looks nice enough. It is definately way bigger than the old one, but I hope they tear down the old one, because they took up 3 pretty valuable parking places to build the new shelter.

On another note, I really wish there was a way to restore the old 11th street station back to something. Even if it was something like an antique mart or something just to reopen that old building. The other option that would be neat would be to try to open a South Shore mueseum there, and restore the building to what the station used to look like back in the day.

New shelter built for train riders

By Jason Miller, The News-Dispatch

IPB Image

Work on a new shelter at the 11th Street South Shore station is nearly complete. Elizabeth Hogge/The News-Dispatch

South Shore riders at the 11th Street station will soon be able to wait for the train in a larger shelter.

The Northern Indiana Commuter Transportation District this week is putting the finishing touches on a $21,000 glass-enclosed shelter near 11th and Pine streets.

The shelter is heated and is 75 percent larger than the small shelter in which cramped riders braved the elements while awaiting their trains for the past several years.

The corner will also be made safer with the addition of a stop light device that will be activated by train engineers. The light will be located on the northwest corner of the intersection and flash amber when not in use. When activated, the light will turn solid amber before turning solid red, warning westbound drivers to stop for the train, according to Michigan City Engineer Bill Phelps. Phelps said the light cost the city $19,660.

Currently, vehicles driving west on 11th Street have no stop at the intersection and often drive along the narrow path left between a parked train and the shoulder of the street. The situation puts passengers in danger because they're forced to watch out for cars as they walk from the curb to the train or from the train to the curb, NICTD spokesman John Parsons said.

Michigan City is paying to install the signal and paid for the traffic study used to determine if the location is right for a light.

“It's for the safety of our passengers and crew,” Parsons said. “Board members requested we look at both of the issues, so we think this was a good solution.”

Parsons said Tuesday the shelter is a short-term solution for passenger comfort, built to last until the South Shore and the city come up with a plan that could move the train line off 11th Street and out of Michigan City's downtown. NICTD and Michigan City officials have been debating for years whether to relocate the South Shore tracks and build a new station.

In recent years, NICTD has paid for major upgrades to stations in Hammond, Gary and East Chicago, but Michigan City's 11th Street stop has remained unchanged.

Parsons said the future of the South Shore route through Michigan City didn't play a role in the decision to upgrade the 11th Street stop.

“When we're looking at relocation, that's more of a long-term project that we'll explore jointly with the city,” he said. “This is just something we needed to do for the short term.”

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ChickenCityRoller
post Jan 11 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Members
Member No.: 19

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Jan 11 2007, 08:44 AM) *

Personally I have watched them building it, and it looks nice enough. It is definately way bigger than the old one, but I hope they tear down the old one, because they took up 3 pretty valuable parking places to build the new shelter.

On another note, I really wish there was a way to restore the old 11th street station back to something. Even if it was something like an antique mart or something just to reopen that old building. The other option that would be neat would be to try to open a South Shore mueseum there, and restore the building to what the station used to look like back in the day.

I agree with you. It's a shame the city hasn't acquired the old train station and restored it to it's formal glory.

Signature Bar
IPB Image
+Quote Post
Ang
post Jan 13 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 10

A few years ago I considered buying that building and restoring it. I thought it would be a good spot for an internet cafe, especially for people waiting for the train. The building is not for sale. The person that I spoke to was quite rude about it actually. I guess they are just going to let it rot until it has to be razed. What a shame!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Jan 14 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 2

QUOTE(Ang @ Jan 13 2007, 01:33 PM) *

A few years ago I considered buying that building and restoring it. I thought it would be a good spot for an internet cafe, especially for people waiting for the train. The building is not for sale. The person that I spoke to was quite rude about it actually. I guess they are just going to let it rot until it has to be razed. What a shame!

Wonderful. An agency that depends on tax payer money to stay alive, sitting on assets that could go towards improving their balancesheet, and they aren't interested. It figures.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:22 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com