IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Winski introduces campaign promise to redesign North End, http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles/2007/04/10/news/news07.txt
JHeath
post Apr 10 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #1

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

Winski introduces campaign promise to redesign North End

By Amanda Haverstick, The News-Dispatch

Calling it “the boldest part of my platform,” Joie Winski introduced plans Monday to give a portion of the city's North End a face lift.

The Michigan City mayoral candidate made the announcement at her campaign headquarters.

Winski recalled a time when Michigan City could be navigated easily.

“Today if you come to our community from the west on U.S. Highway 12, your focus is on the fixed span bridge in front of you,” Winski said. “If you're coming from the north - New Buffalo - you see what many consider our ‘nuclear power plant' tower. We know it's a cooling tower. If you're coming from the south, you see a dead end - a physical and psychological barrier - the library.”

The plan, which Winski calls Lakefront Center, begins with extending Franklin Street to Lake Michigan.

“This is an atmosphere that will encourage development,” Winski said. “Our real industry in this town ... if we're going to be honest with ourselves, is tourism. This will give (tourists) a free flow right to our businesses.”

In the plan, two highly visible lighted towers beckon residents and visitors to a “circle of life”: attractive walkways, a nostalgic arch similar to the one in the early 1900s that welcomed visitors to Washington Park and Michigan City and pedestrian-friendly sidewalks. The traffic pattern will accommodate north and southbound travel.

“If you think where Franklin Street would go ... the only places that would have to be removed are the library and City Hall,” Winski said.

Winski said she already has spoken to people at the library and found them receptive to the plan.

“After going through a few hundred thousand dollars of utility bills, they're ready to entertain to any type of plan,” Winski said. “They're willing to talk.”

Winski said City Hall also likely would move.

“If I'm mayor, we're going to move. We'll move into a smaller, cost-effective building,” Winski said. “This land is so valuable ... if we move those buildings, if we move City Hall, this plan is going to pay for itself. I feel it's the catalyst to developing the rest of the city.”

Winski said the $34 million project would be accomplished through a public-private partnership. Developers, she said, are interested in it.

Completion of the project, Winski said, could be in 2 to 2 1/2 years.

“We have to get started on it right away, and the first step would be negotiations with all parties concerned,” Winski said. “The second step would be to sell it to the city council and then move forward. I'm quite confident that I can form a consensus with the city council. I think that's what's lacking right now.”

Contact reporter Amanda Haverstick at ahaverstick@thenewsdispatch.com.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 10 2007, 11:55 AM
Post #2

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

Like I said before in a little bit of a teaser, I really like this plan. If you think about some of the gem communities in the area, and in the country, they have gateways to their beaches, we have obstacles. I don't know if this could happen here, mostly because of the inevitable fight that would occur over this, but I do think this is excellent forward and proactive thinking.
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Apr 10 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 182

I like this plan. Library and City Hall relocation is a key element in restoring steady traffic flows on north Franklin St. and helping restore viability to the store fronts there. However, I have to question the timing. I think this is the wrong time to address this plan. We need to focus on acquiring the Blocksom property and then developing a plan for redeveloping the Trail Creek corridor that the community can get behind. One big project at a time, with succinctness and focus.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 11 2007, 07:58 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Actually, if you really think about it, the timing is perfect. Nothing has really transpired for a few years with the Blocksom property or the project for the Trail Creek corridor except talk...and a lot of it.
Why not do something that would give our visitors something to draw them into the City, or attract them to our lakefront?
+Quote Post
mcstumper
post Apr 11 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 182

I think that 2-3 years is unrealistic. If the Blocksom negotiations are going as well as Michael B. indicates, I think that we need to focus our energy on that project and get it pushed through.

The library needs to be moved, but the million dollar question is "to where"? You think there is a lot of 'talk' about the Blocksom, Icehouse, Weber sign properties?! The public input process on where to locate the library and the design of the new building could take 2 1/2 years all by itself.

Signature Bar
Put simply, mean reversion is a bitch. -Vitaliy Katsenelson
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 11 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #6

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Apr 11 2007, 07:55 PM) *

I think that 2-3 years is unrealistic. If the Blocksom negotiations are going as well as Michael B. indicates, I think that we need to focus our energy on that project and get it pushed through.

The library needs to be moved, but the million dollar question is "to where"? You think there is a lot of 'talk' about the Blocksom, Icehouse, Weber sign properties?! The public input process on where to locate the library and the design of the new building could take 2 1/2 years all by itself.

What is the plan for the Blocksom Property?
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 12 2007, 06:24 AM
Post #7

As far as I have read, there are no plans for anything up there. They have been hellbent to get ahold of that property, to the point of threatening emminent domain on places that won't comply, but they have no set plan, timetable, or anything resembling organization.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 12 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10

I heard they want to put some type of retail center there. something with "quaint" little shops that the boat people can walk to.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 12 2007, 08:44 AM
Post #9

It would be nice if there was a PUBLIC plan in place before we go threaning court action against a private entity. I hate public domain, and believe it should not be used except in extreme cases, and definately not in a for-profit situation. Private property is one of the most important freedoms we have in America, and it should be protected as such.
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 12 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

i have attended a meeting or two about the TC corridor, I can pst more later when I have time.
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 13 2007, 05:18 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(mcstumper @ Apr 10 2007, 06:38 PM) *

I like this plan. Library and City Hall relocation is a key element in restoring steady traffic flows on north Franklin St. and helping restore viability to the store fronts there. However, I have to question the timing. I think this is the wrong time to address this plan. We need to focus on acquiring the Blocksom property and then developing a plan for redeveloping the Trail Creek corridor that the community can get behind. One big project at a time, with succinctness and focus.

I like the idea of putting a heart beat in the heart of the city. Winski's plan seems like it would do it. Opposed to waiting on a plan that may have little effect on the city as a whole. I thought they for sure they had a plan for Trail Creek as they are in litegation with two property owner now.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 19 2007, 11:52 AM
Post #12

Here are a couple more chances to check out the Winski North End plan

Political Notebook

Mayoral candidate Joie Winski has invited residents to share her vision for Franklin Street and the future of Michigan City from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday, April 21, and Saturday, April 28, at her campaign headquarters at 801 Washington St. Light refreshments will be served.

Anyone interested in learning more about the Winski for Mayor campaign or volunteering can call 878-1011, or visit the Winski for Mayor Web site at www.votewinski.com.

+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 3 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #13

http://www.michigancityin.com/articles/200.../news/news3.txt

Library board members contradict Winski

By Deborah Sederberg, The News-Dispatch

They say she's never spoken to them about moving the library.

Mayoral candidate Joie Winski calls it a “physical and psychological barrier,” but others see Michigan City Public Library as a jewel.

In April, when Winski outlined her plan for the North End, she said the library must be moved before Franklin Street can be reconfigured to take visitors straight to Lake Michigan and Washington Park. She also said she would move city hall.

“We'll move into a smaller, cost-effective building.”

When she announced her plan, Winski said she had spoken to library personnel about the issue. “After going through a few hundred thousand dollars of utility bills, they're ready to entertain any type of plan,” Winski said at her announcement event.

But most library board members and the library director have no memory of talking with Winski about deserting the Helmut Jahn-designed building.

Every year, Library Director Don Glossinger said, architects and architecture students come to tour the bright and airy library designed by the world-famous architect.

Jahn himself has brought people from Chicago to look at the library as inspiration for building the Petrillo music shell in Grant Park.

“I've been on the board for about a year and a half and no one has actually brought this plan to the board,” said Ed Frank. Describing himself as a friend of Winski's, he said he does not want to get into the middle of a political campaign, but said he simply has not heard any discussion of moving the library.

“We've put a lot of money into maintaining the building,” he said. Just last week, the board awarded a contract of more than $500,000 to replace the library's exterior walls.

The key to any serious discussion, Frank said, would be money. “Where would the money come from?”

Sam Ferguson, who also has served on the library board for about a year and a half, said “Those ideas come up once in a while,” but said he has not heard such a discussion at a board meeting.

“The proper place to talk about it is at the board meetings,” he added. “If it weren't a political issue, I'd talk about it, but I'm not going to get into Joie's political discussions.”

Cheryl Bohlim, who is in her second term on the board, said, “To my knowledge no one has approached the board about this.” If someone did bring up the subject, Bohlim said, she is sure the board would listen politely and then discuss the matter.

She didn't want to give her own opinion on the matter, because, like Ferguson, she said, “At this time it seems to be more of a political idea.”

For her part, board member Hazel Thomas is up-front about her volunteer efforts on behalf of Mayor Chuck Oberlie, but she said that commitment does not color her thoughts about moving the library. First, Thomas said, “(The moving of the library) has never come to the board. And Joie has never mentioned it to me, not even in personal conversation. I like where the library is. I think it's in a delightful place.”

What's more, Thomas is not sure such a move would be useful or helpful. “I don't think people have any trouble finding the lake or Washington Park.”

Besides, Thomas said, the library itself attracts some visitors. “Visitors like the library,” she said. Some visitors go out of their way to discover what's inside such a fascinating building.

Glossinger credits the library board for its vigilance in maintaining the character of the building, which many community members and visitors see as a landmark.

Winski called her plan, which includes moving the library, “the boldest part of my platform.” She imagines her $34 million project leading visitors to the lake through attractive walkways, pedestrian-friendly sidewalks and an arch much like the one that adorned Franklin Street at the turn of the 20th Century. The plan also includes two highly visible lighted towers to welcome visitors to the area.

Library Board President Dr. Kenneth Rottman calls the plan to move the library “just ridiculous.” He has never heard such a proposal discussed at a board meeting.

Rottman, who lives in Long Beach and therefore does not vote for mayor, has no particular political interest in that race, and added that he enjoys the lakefront.

“I don't think we ever have a shortage of people in Washington Park,” he said. Were he asked for his opinion, he said, he would pay more attention to attracting visitors via the lake, boaters who would stop in Michigan City.

Rottman is devoted to the library. He loves everything about it and said he likes the way it looks at night, bathed in light. He has read about another library in which colored lights present a kind of light show when the library closes for the night. He has no trouble imagining such a spectacle on the north end of Franklin Street right at Library Plaza.

+Quote Post
JHeath
post May 3 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

I will respond to this only by saying that Joie did, in fact, speak with a library representative prior to publicly releasing the plan. The unfortunate part of this is that he suddenly has no recollection of the conversation--I have to wonder if he was told to say that? (and yes, I am aware that the library is it's own entity).

Ed Frank and Sam Ferguson are correct in their responses...this is a political ploy orchestrated to make certain mayoral candidates out to be something they are not.
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 3 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #15

To JanK-What do you think about this? Are you in a position to respond? I believe that Joie DID speak to someone at the library and the denial is outrageous. But, sometimes the ND doesn't always print all the facts, so is there anything you can contribute to this?

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 3 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(Ang @ May 3 2007, 02:27 PM) *

To JanK-What do you think about this? Are you in a position to respond? I believe that Joie DID speak to someone at the library and the denial is outrageous. But, sometimes the ND doesn't always print all the facts, so is there anything you can contribute to this?

That makes sense to me.

Stop and think about this for a second, we are to believe that a candidate for mayor went through the trouble and expense of constructing a plan to completely change the north end of Michigan City, but didn't ask anyone about it, and then went out and claimed that she did? Like no one would have asked the people at the library about it? That makes absolutely no sense at all. This has all the smells of being election week dirty pool. Looks like someone just lobbed a grenade into the Winski Camp.
+Quote Post
sandz
post May 4 2007, 07:55 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 232

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ May 3 2007, 02:35 PM) *

That makes sense to me.

Stop and think about this for a second, we are to believe that a candidate for mayor went through the trouble and expense of constructing a plan to completely change the north end of Michigan City, but didn't ask anyone about it, and then went out and claimed that she did? Like no one would have asked the people at the library about it? That makes absolutely no sense at all. This has all the smells of being election week dirty pool. Looks like someone just lobbed a grenade into the Winski Camp.

Why would the library Board of Directors (in written interviews) state other than the truth?
+Quote Post
Ang
post May 4 2007, 08:21 AM
Post #18

I don't believe she spoke to any of the Directors. I'm pretty sure it was someone at the Library itself. THAT person encouraged her suggestion then later denied having spoken to her about it. It's unfortunate too, that a person would sabatoge someone else because they spoke out of turn and don't want to be chastised for it.

This post has been edited by Ang: May 4 2007, 08:24 AM

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post May 4 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #19

QUOTE(sandz @ May 4 2007, 08:55 AM) *

Why would the library Board of Directors (in written interviews) state other than the truth?

Like I said, it doesn't make sense that you would put all of the time and money into a plan like that, and then state that you talked to someone there, because you know that someone is going to ask the question to the library as well. I imagine that the whole board wasn't talked to, but probably an individual or two, to guage their interest in the plan. Obviously they can't make a full proposal to the whole board, because Winski has no standing to do so right now. Any requests or exchange of information would have to be on an informal basis.

+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post May 4 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 3

Ang seems to be on target with this matter.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 09:37 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com