Member No.: 2

http://heraldargus.com/articles/2012/01/28...24013201839.txt

Huston seeking another term

By Matt Fritz
Staff writer
1-866-362-2167 Ext. 13887
mfritz@heraldargus.com
Published: Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:02 PM CST
La PORTE — Commissioner Barbara Huston, D-La Porte, has announced her candidacy for the 2nd district La Porte County commissioner position.

"I enjoy what I do and would like to have at least one more term," Huston said about her interest in re-election. "I find government very interesting and I try to be very fair to all the people, the employees and the citizens in the county who elect me. And I enjoy learning and I enjoy the job."

Huston has served as a county commissioner for almost eight years. Previous to this position, she served the county as a paramedic, EMS administrator and coroner.

She said she's proud of some of the projects she helped complete during her time as commissioner, such as the completion of the Purdue Extension building, the expansion of the county parking lot on Washington Street and the purchase and design of the new county complex on Michigan and State streets.

Some projects she's hoping to see completed if re-elected are the construction of a new community corrections building and the remodeling of all county buildings into ADA compliance. A new corrections building is needed to bring the county in compliance with state law. Huston said it could also help overcrowding issues at the jail

"Everything takes time and money," she said, "but we work steadily at getting things fixed and repaired."

She said she received some criticism for voting to replace her opponent in the La Porte County Convention and Visitors Bureau Board with Rick Knoll. She said she did this because Knoll had business experience and small business owners in Michigan City wanted that on the board.

Huston explained that she works across party lines as a commissioner and believes people from any party are important assets to the community.

"I believe once you're elected you're no longer part of a party," she said. "You are a cohesive board. And of course I work well with (Commissioner Ken) Layton, a Republican. He is a wealth of knowledge."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:59 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com