IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What is your most important issue in this election?
Southsider2k12
post Apr 26 2007, 09:10 AM
Post #1

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

What issue more than any other will influence who you vote for, (or for those in WYO, who you would vote for wink.gif) in the upcoming municipal elections?

Is it lakefront issues? North End issues? Business/Job growth issues? School system issues? Or is there something I am missing that speaks to you?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 26 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 10

If I were still a resident of MC, I would pick the candidate that did not, in my opinion, have a personal agenda. The candidate who has the future growth of MC truly at heart. One that is concerned with revitalizing the City overall, from MCAS to the North End and all points in between. A lot of people are so concerned over the north end, but what about the West side? It seems to get forgotten about a lot. Ron Meer does a pretty good job of reminding people that the West side is there, but nothing is done about it. No committees have been formed, no studies have been done. It's kind of like "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to the West side. People read about all the tragedies that happen there, but there is no prevention for them. The East side is bad, but there are more police patrols there and Willie Milsap works very hard to unite the residents to make it a better place. He has neighborhood meetings, BBQ's and picnics to bring a sense of community among his constituents. There is an excellent neighborhood watch program in place. I know. I used to live on the 100 block of Jackson St and the police showed up at my door once because the boys were playing war games outside after dark and a neighbor thought someone was trying to break into my house. There was two patrol cars, and Greg Miller with his dog. They were all cautious and asking if I was SURE everything was okay. Greg told me they got a neighborhood watch call and that's when I realized someone mistook my kids for robbers. That happened because of Willie Milsap. I was fine with it. I knew my neighbors were looking out.
That is the kind of leadership MC needs. I know a lot of people don't like Willie, and I'll admit he comes off as a player. But, I know Willie personally and I know he is good for the 5th Ward.
So, if I were to vote, I would pick the candidate that is the most forthcoming, honest and shows integrity. Not someone who sits on their laurels and takes credit for what others do, not someone who is hoping to ride the shirt tails of their name, not someone who only has a vision for certain improvements and not the town overall. Someone who will put the river boat dollars to good use-a use that will positively affect all the residents. (I'm sorry, I know the Christmas lights at Wash. Park are beautiful, but it was not a good use for riverboat money)
One other thing, I would look at what each candidate has done in the past. I would use what they have done to make my judgement, because what they have done in the past will tell me if they're really going to do what they say they will in the future.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 26 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 90

All the issues mentioned are biggies. It is hard to draw hard lines between many of them. I will go with Lakefront.
+Quote Post
RedDevilMC
post Apr 26 2007, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 39

For those of you who know me, I hope you agree with what I'm about to say. I don't have any hidden agendas nor am I running on a slate with any candidates. My concern is Michigan City as a whole. I have 2 daughters 6 and 12. Michigan City has to be a better place for them now and in the future if they are to come back and raise their own families. This means the school system, neighborhoods, and businesses. I agree economic development isn't only south of Highway 20 and North of Highway 12. I have a genuine interest in the health of our community for everyone.

As far as my past involvement and actions: I'm what you call kid friendly with a business and technical background. I've been a Girl Scout Troop leader, volunteer in the public school systems (even though my kids don't go), coach several sports. I have a dress bank for girls in the neighborhood who want to go to proms or formal dances. I hold a free soccer clinic at my neighborhood park. I want these kids to know I grew up here and that I was the oldest of 7 kids and still could go to college and make a difference. So, I feel obligated to do my part. So many people (teachers, churches, etc) and organizations helped my family out as a kid. So I choose to do the things I do in the community because I want to.

Now, I'm also a technical person and worked in corporate america for 10 years. I have relocated 5 times with SBC Communications. So, I've been exposed to business and how to manage people and projects. I was a part of their Leadership Management program. They were preparing us to become VP type people. When I was transferred to Chicago, I decided to move back and not move anymore. I became tired of the commute, relocating, laying people off and not spending enough time at home.

SO, I'm in it to win it!! I believe I can be a positive voice and stand up for what we want as a community. I am professional but I have the skill set needed to find out what the problems are and find resources to resolve them. I'm very approachable and just concerned about the quality of life.

Sorry to be long winded. VOTE ANGIE STARKS!! My commercial for the day.

Angie Starks
+Quote Post
Max Main
post Apr 27 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 90

Angie Starks exemplifies what we need in leadership positions: Intelligence, integrity, freshness, and passion. Who could possibly vote against that? Angie, get some more lawn signs out!
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 27 2007, 11:11 AM
Post #6

For me there are three things that decide whether a person/family locates to a particular community.

Jobs.
Schools.
Safety.

For me the three aren't mutally exclusive, but run together as a cycle. Communities that have poor schools, which churn out adults who aren't ready for the job market. This causes companies to not want to locate here. People with low to no income are much more likely statistically to commit crimes.

For me the most important thing right now in Michigan City is the future of the north end, because much like a ripple effect, a smart positive, and amibitious plan will radiate out into the rest of the city, like throwing a rock into a placid lake. We have got to make the step forward there and take control of our future and destiny.

I could go on about some other issues, but the North End is #1 in my book, as it has the best chance of disrupting the cycle of poverty in our City.
+Quote Post
Ang
post Apr 27 2007, 11:39 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 10

QUOTE(Max Main @ Apr 27 2007, 11:03 AM) *

Angie Starks exemplifies what we need in leadership positions: Intelligence, integrity, freshness, and passion. Who could possibly vote against that? Angie, get some more lawn signs out!

Not only that, but Angie shows honesty, integrity and straightforwardness. An excellent example is the fact that she is on this board and has admitted she is a candidate and is willing to discuss election issues here as herself. She hasn't remained anonymous or hid behind a screen name like some of the other candidates that read the posts here. That is something to be appreciated.

Angie, if I still lived in 'City, you would definitely have my vote!!!

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 27 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #8

Getting Comfortable

Member No.: 221

QUOTE(southsider2k7 @ Apr 26 2007, 10:10 AM) *

What issue more than any other will influence who you vote for, (or for those in WYO, who you would vote for wink.gif) in the upcoming municipal elections?

Is it lakefront issues? North End issues? Business/Job growth issues? School system issues? Or is there something I am missing that speaks to you?

Believability, straight-up ideas, and no nonsense explanations of the current issues --

In my opinion, there seems to be only 1 candidate who posseses these qualities - Jim LaRocco
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 27 2007, 09:06 PM
Post #9

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 27 2007, 08:24 PM) *

Believability, straight-up ideas, and no nonsense explanations of the current issues --

In my opinion, there seems to be only 1 candidate who posseses these qualities - Jim LaRocco

MCVoter, we all have our own opions, but I have a hard time believing that Jim LaRocco is all of those things.
Other than the fact that his father was a great Mayor for many years, and Jim has his own business, what qualifies him?
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 28 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #10

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 27 2007, 10:06 PM) *

MCVoter, we all have our own opions, but I have a hard time believing that Jim LaRocco is all of those things.
Other than the fact that his father was a great Mayor for many years, and Jim has his own business, what qualifies him?

Like Father, Like Son
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 28 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #11

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 41

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 28 2007, 08:55 PM) *

Like Father, Like Son

I did not know that Joe was a fireman.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 28 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #12

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 28 2007, 09:40 PM) *

I did not know that Joe was a fireman.

Your right - Joe was a truck driver ---
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 29 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #13

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 28 2007, 10:41 PM) *

Your right - Joe was a truck driver ---

Kind of blows the father like son theory out the window.
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 29 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #14

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 28 2007, 08:55 PM) *

Like Father, Like Son

mcvoter, this hardly qulaifies as an answer to my previous question. try again.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 29 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #15

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 29 2007, 09:45 AM) *

mcvoter, this hardly qulaifies as an answer to my previous question. try again.

To:
JHeath and lovethiscity:

There are many aspects to one's wholistic being - employment is so trivial, so, rather than continue with positioning and postering, the ND headlined Friedman's choice for his support (and purportedly) his parties support -

Questions:

1. Do you guys think that this is a "kiss of death" for Oberlie? It seems as though whomever Friedman supports - loses.
2. It also seems that the talk around town is that OBerlie is NOT what the people want - is this what youv'e heard?

Later ---
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 29 2007, 10:48 AM
Post #16

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 29 2007, 11:01 AM) *

To:
JHeath and lovethiscity:

There are many aspects to one's wholistic being - employment is so trivial, so, rather than continue with positioning and postering, the ND headlined Friedman's choice for his support (and purportedly) his parties support -

Questions:

1. Do you guys think that this is a "kiss of death" for Oberlie? It seems as though whomever Friedman supports - loses.
2. It also seems that the talk around town is that OBerlie is NOT what the people want - is this what youv'e heard?

Later ---

Nice avoidance technique. The Friedman issue is a topic for another thread.

My question did not insinuate any positioning or posturing, nor was it meant to do so. I simply am seeking info for the other readers of this board so they can make an educated choice on May 8th.

So, MCVoter, I'll ask the question once more:
What qualifies Jim as the "best" candidate in your opinion?
+Quote Post
lovethiscity
post Apr 29 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #17

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 29 2007, 11:48 AM) *

My question did not insinuate any positioning or posturing, nor was it meant to do so. I simply am seeking info for the other readers of this board so they can make an educated choice on May 8th.

I agree, the Friedman issue should be a whole new thread. Included should be the manipulation of the democrat party for personal gain. We have a slate of candidates sharing a web site and a hidden agenda. From the outside the party must look foolish. We have a Lawyer, an investment banker and a pair of businessman running as democrats. Their common goal seems to be overturning a vote by the current council stopping development of a public park. At any cost.
+Quote Post
mcvoter
post Apr 29 2007, 05:34 PM
Post #18

Getting Comfortable

QUOTE(JHeath @ Apr 29 2007, 11:48 AM) *

1. Jim does not believe in trickle down development - it's just like Reaganomics in the '80s.
2. Jim's campaign was not financed by developers, but by the common good citizens of this City.
3. Jim's doesn't believe in the Rube Goldberg theory of solving problems.
4. Jim believes that the citizens of MC are our finest asset.
5. JHeath.....What qualifies Mrs. Winski to be the chief executive of MC when she only served in the legislative branch of city government.....she has as much experience as Jim does in the legislative branch of city government.
6. I could continue, but I think you get the point biggrin.gif .
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Apr 30 2007, 09:47 AM
Post #19

Really Comfortable

QUOTE(mcvoter @ Apr 29 2007, 06:34 PM) *

1. Jim does not believe in trickle down development - it's just like Reaganomics in the '80s.
2. Jim's campaign was not financed by developers, but by the common good citizens of this City.
3. Jim's doesn't believe in the Rube Goldberg theory of solving problems.
4. Jim believes that the citizens of MC are our finest asset.
5. JHeath.....What qualifies Mrs. Winski to be the chief executive of MC when she only served in the legislative branch of city government.....she has as much experience as Jim does in the legislative branch of city government.
6. I could continue, but I think you get the point biggrin.gif .

MCVoter, I think you meant something different than what you wrote in point #5, didn't you? Also, #6 doesn't have much of a point...or I've missed that one somehow.
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Apr 30 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #20

QUOTE(lovethiscity @ Apr 29 2007, 02:25 PM) *

I agree, the Friedman issue should be a whole new thread. Included should be the manipulation of the democrat party for personal gain. We have a slate of candidates sharing a web site and a hidden agenda. From the outside the party must look foolish. We have a Lawyer, an investment banker and a pair of businessman running as democrats. Their common goal seems to be overturning a vote by the current council stopping development of a public park. At any cost.

I'd be careful as stereotyping labels to certian parties. John Edwards started off as a trial lawyer, and you don't get much more liberal than some of the platform planks he has been putting out in the last couple of months. Hillary Clinton is also a lawyer.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:18 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com