Reply to this topicStart new topic
> If You Were Mayor...What Would You Change?, Just some mind games
Homey
post Nov 30 2008, 08:01 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 826

If you had the chance to become Mayor of M.C. what would be your goals? I know most of us here love our hometown and basically know what M.C. needs and what the majority of the citizens want.

What would be your agenda if you became Mayor? (This could be very interesting) !!!!! cool.gif

Signature Bar
Nothing is worth more than this day!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JHeath
post Nov 30 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #2

Really Comfortable

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 43

I'd listen to the numerous "studies" about the north end. Open up Franklin St to the lakefront...and would make Franklin a 2 way street again.
+Quote Post
Homey
post Nov 30 2008, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I agree Jheath.

I kinow this may not matter to some..but I would do the fireworks on the 4th of July. This whole premise of the Summer Festival needs some fresh air. I guess it's easier to do things as they have been done for the past ..... how many years?....it's a no brainer smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Tim
post Dec 1 2008, 01:34 AM
Post #4

Really Comfortable

Member No.: 18

I'd change the car hops at Carlson's to Hooters Girls.

Other than that, tough call.....
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 07:27 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 1 2008, 01:34 AM) *

Tim, you are too funny laugh.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Southsider2k12
post Dec 1 2008, 07:33 AM
Post #6

Spends WAY too much time at CBTL

Group: Admin
Member No.: 2

If I were mayor, I would be crapping my pants right now. The neglect of the last 5 years or so is really coming home to roost and it is going to be a scary few years, especially if this recession lasts any amount of time. The biggest problem is that the damage is done, and now we have to wait and see how bad that damage is. MC missed its last window to do some great things in this town, and now they are going to have to wait again to be able to have a chance to do them.

I really believe you can forget about the north end project for at least 5 years. There is no one out there who is going to invest private money into this project, as it is far from a "safe" investment. There are plenty of other less speculative towns looking for investments that will be able to attract money before we do. Not to mention you have to be able to find a bank that has money to lend to you, which is next to impossible right now, and it sure wouldn't be at a prime rate even if you could find the capital.

If we were looking to make the investment ourselves, we also missed our window because our budget is crashing right now between reduced sales tax revenues, reduced property tax revenues, and reduced revenues from the Blue Chip. We are going to struggle to provide basic services right now, let alone do something special.

Projects like the north end, new city hall, new police station, new parks HQ, etc are all going to be put on hold, or severely reduced. Mark my words.

As for what I would do, I would concentrate on the three biggest things that bring people to a community, schools, jobs, and safety. The three things people always talk about when choosing where to live are "how good are the schools?", "what kind of job can I get there?", and "is it safe for my kids to play outside?". If you look at all things MC with those three questions in mind, I think you will make some progress towards what ails us.

QUOTE(Tim @ Dec 1 2008, 01:34 AM) *

Hmm, maybe I need a forth question on my list of what people look for in a community... laugh.gif
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 09:33 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3

I heartily agree that the nomenklatura has missed the boat as far development is concerned. The problem is that the citizenry has reelected these people all these many elections. New blood is desperately called for, and a re-think of what projects and plans are feasible and which are pie-in-the-sky.

One can look at many other discussions on North End Development. Very briefly, I can summarize some thoughts: Two-way Franklin St. is irrelevant. Two-way Pine and Washington is not and should be done. Building to the water's edge (Lake or Creek) should be banished from any planning. Move City offices into some of the vacant buildings around MC. Get a hold of the Y bldg and put the Parks Dept. there. Keep the Drug Task Force on the job. Citizens, call the School Board members and attend the meetings; get to know your kids' teachers and schools. And regarding SSider's fourth question, see the person behind the chest!

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Ang
post Dec 1 2008, 11:56 AM
Post #8

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I would force the MCAS and P&R to come to a viable conclusion to their arguement and if they couldn't, I would make the decision for them. I would sit down with the Chamber of Commerce and decide exactly what City needs to do to bring in more jobs. I would meet with the school board and tell them Mike Harding is BAD for the community and they need to get rid of him. I would study the studies, work with the Chamber, and get the north end back in business. Not necessarily change it, but bring it back to life somehow. Once that's done, then we can talk about moving buildings and changing streets. No parking? Well, there are a couple empty lots that could have a parking garage built on it. The City can run a shuttle service from the garage to various stops for people who don't want to, or can't, walk. I would also look at the south end and try to fill up those empty buildings. If no one wants to move into them, tear them down. Period. It's better to have an open lot than an open building.
I would work with the Marquette Mall to determine why it is dying, then help them come up with a solution to the problem--if one could be found.

Signature Bar
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind~Dr. Suess
+Quote Post
kharris
post Dec 1 2008, 12:38 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 588

QUOTE(Ang @ Dec 1 2008, 11:56 AM) *

I would force the MCAS and P&R to come to a viable conclusion to their arguement and if they couldn't, I would make the decision for them. I would sit down with the Chamber of Commerce and decide exactly what City needs to do to bring in more jobs. I would meet with the school board and tell them Mike Harding is BAD for the community and they need to get rid of him. I would study the studies, work with the Chamber, and get the north end back in business. Not necessarily change it, but bring it back to life somehow. Once that's done, then we can talk about moving buildings and changing streets. No parking? Well, there are a couple empty lots that could have a parking garage built on it. The City can run a shuttle service from the garage to various stops for people who don't want to, or can't, walk. I would also look at the south end and try to fill up those empty buildings. If no one wants to move into them, tear them down. Period. It's better to have an open lot than an open building.
I would work with the Marquette Mall to determine why it is dying, then help them come up with a solution to the problem--if one could be found.

Wouldn't this be an example of too much government? Personally I do not believe the government (at any level) needs to get into the business of telling private ownership what to do with their properties unless of course local ordinances are being are not being adhered to. I certainly understand and feel the same frustration that many others feel regarding empty buildings and waiting for something to happen.

City government and the school board need to work together if any kind of successful outcome is to be realized, but we also need to remember that by statute, they are separate entities and one does not have authority over the other. That said, the two should be willing, and eager to work together for the betterment of the community.

In my opinion, any current of future leader of this community needs to have a primary focus of finding a way to bring livable wage jobs into the community. If this objective can be achieved we will see a ripple effect into many other areas of live in Michigan City. If the median wage level can increase, we are first going to see the level of crime diminish. Afterall, people don't need to rob banks or convenience stores or sell drugs to earn a living if the wages are there elsewhere. As the number of livable wage jobs increase mand more people are able to obtain employment, more home can be purchased instead of being foreclosed. More business and more home ownership means an increase of the tax base that helps the community as a whole.

I am not in favor of abandoning all redevelopment, but I thinks we should be realistic. Certainly the level of redevelopment being discussed will create jobs, but mainly temporary jobs until contruction projects are completed. I don't believe the current mode of thinking is considering the future of Michigan City for our children and grandchildren. We need to create a place, as southsider said, that is a place we can work and live and feel safe. And I believe it all b egins with the creation of jobs, livavble wage paying jobs.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 12:49 PM
Post #10

Also, the Chamber of Commerce has lost cred by being a bit partisan in local elections.

Signature Bar
The difference between genius and stupidity is that there are limits to genius. Albert Einstein
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 02:48 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

It would really be nice to see the Warren building refurbished. If I remember, Mr. O'Brien offered to begin if Franklin Street opened up. Some of the older buildings on Franklin Square could be so beautiful. Whoever rehabed the buildings across from Ryan's Pub did a beautiful job. The Unity Foundation building is another example of good restoration. I wish more could be done to encourage the owners of these empty buildings to restore them...soon.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
edgeywood
post Dec 1 2008, 04:24 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 330

QUOTE(Homey @ Dec 1 2008, 02:48 PM) *

It would really be nice to see the Warren building refurbished. If I remember, Mr. O'Brien offered to begin if Franklin Street opened up. .. I wish more could be done to encourage the owners of these empty buildings to restore them...soon.

From the Michigan City Municipal Code:
MC Municipal Code

36-7-9-4.5. Vacant structures.
(a) In Indiana, especially in urban areas, there exist a large number of unoccupied structures that are not maintained and that constitute a hazard to public health, safety, and welfare.
(cool.gif Vacant structures often become dilapidated because the structures are not maintained and repaired by the owners or persons in control of the structures.
© Vacant structures attract children, become harborage for vermin, serve as temporary abodes for vagrants and criminals, and are likely to be damaged by vandals or set ablaze by arsonists.
(d) Unkept grounds surrounding vacant structures invite dumping of garbage, trash, and other debris.
(e) Many vacant structures are situated on narrow city lots and in close proximity to neighboring structures, thereby increasing the risk of conflagration and spread of insect and rodent infestation.
(f) Vacant, deteriorated structures contribute to blight, cause a decrease in property values, and discourage neighbors from making improvements to properties.
(g) Structures that remain boarded up for an extended period of time also exert a blighting influence and contribute to the decline of the neighborhood by decreasing property values, discouraging persons from moving into the neighborhood, and encouraging persons to move out of the neighborhood.

(h) Vacant structures often continue to deteriorate to the point that demolition of the structure is required, thereby decreasing available housing in a community and further contributing to the decline of the neighborhood.
(i) The blighting influence of vacant, deteriorated structures adversely affects the tax revenues of local government.
(j) The general assembly finds that vacant, deteriorated structures create a serious and substantial problem in urban areas and are public nuisances.
(k) In recognition of the problems created in a community by vacant structures, the general assembly finds that vigorous and disciplined action should be taken to ensure the proper maintenance and repair of vacant structures and encourages local governmental bodies to adopt maintenance and repair standards appropriate for the community in accordance with this chapter and other statutes.
(P.L. 1991-14, § 10; P.L. 1992-1, § 186)

Michigan City adopted this state code by ordinance. Perhaps they should consider how to enforce it.
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 04:44 PM
Post #13

Yeah, start with the O'Brien properties.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

How many more properties does he own? Are they all in such bad shape?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 04:54 PM
Post #15

Most of the block by the Warren--even the ones that are used are reportedly moldy and in disrepair. I would never trust him to fix them up, and the idea that making Franklin 2-way would induce him to do so is quite misguided.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 05:00 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

I believe that's what he stated in the News-Dispatch. He would begin repairs as soon as the city gave the ok. Maybe he is hedging...maybe he was serious. I don't know. smile.gif

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #17

The years he has let the buildings go rot speak to his feelings about MC and his responsibilities as a property owner.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Homey
post Dec 1 2008, 07:02 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Roger, do you think he cares since he doesn't live in M.C.? New Buffalo is more lucrative for him.

And the gentleman who owns the old Canterbury and train station? Anyone hear about him lately?

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
Roger Kaputnik
post Dec 1 2008, 07:12 PM
Post #19

No, I do not think they care about MC.

Signature Bar
+Quote Post
JoeJ
post Dec 1 2008, 07:22 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 833

QUOTE(Roger Kaputnik @ Dec 1 2008, 04:44 PM) *

Yeah, start with the O'Brien properties.

Problem with that, what little work he did save his old @$$ for another year or so. The he buys the Merion property on Washington and does what with not a gosh darn thing - empty like his head.

Joe "I can't wait to move to a city that is a little more progressive"
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:06 AM

Skin Designed By: neo at www.neonetweb.com